Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
svendraconian
n00b

Help me understand this game

I've logged 100 hours or so in this game, and still have no idea what ratings matter or trigger results. I can't put together any sort of defense (I can grab elite DBs, but still get torched in the passing game... I can get elite pass rushers and get no pressure). I can't read the play by play data (How can I give up long plays and everybody gets a +++... why are there even 3 pluses? Do they have +--??)

I've made manual gameplans, I've rexed gameplans... I have teams that win but I still don't really understand why.

I feel like theres a ton of ratings, but I have no idea what half of them actually do? What does play recognition do for a safety? What is getting downfield vs route running vs big play ability? What is "avoid drops" ---> i have guys with a good rating drop balls all the time? What is "adjust to ball" ... is that deep passes? Every pass?

What is accuracy and timing? How is "accuracy" different then the range level ratings?

What is breakaway speed, vs speed to outside? Elusiveness vs Power Running (I understand how they are different in life, but how do they impact the game)

Do the combine numbers matter to veteran players (like a universal modifier to the ratings?) or is it just a random numbers?

What is pass rush technique vs strength (And pass block vs strength?) When do they use them? What about play diagnoses vs run defense vs zone defense?

svendraconian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
RD
n00b

It's all in the help file
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Read the help file then ask your two or three questions that remain
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

My 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendraconian View Post
I've made manual gameplans, I've rexed gameplans... I have teams that win but I still don't really understand why.
neither have I. It's become a frustrating trial and error experience. But in then end, the roster building aspect keeps me interested, despite my ability to make the best roster in the league play like an 8-8 team.

Quote:
I feel like theres a ton of ratings, but I have no idea what half of them actually do? What does play recognition do for a safety? What is getting downfield vs route running vs big play ability? What is "avoid drops" ---> i have guys with a good rating drop balls all the time? What is "adjust to ball" ... is that deep passes? Every pass?
this stuff is really in the help file, as other pointed out.

Quote:
What is accuracy and timing? How is "accuracy" different then the range level ratings?
Again, help file. But I could care less about either rating.

Quote:
What is breakaway speed, vs speed to outside? Elusiveness vs Power Running (I understand how they are different in life, but how do they impact the game)
Hole recognition is what you're after primarily. Breakaway speed seems to be the ability to add yardage on a successful run, I honestly don't know what outside running does to boost that (probably an additional booster on outside run plays.) Elusiveness is a weird one, it increases the randomness of the runner's success or lack there of. Power running, I used to think it helps on plays up the middle, by a little bit.

Quote:
Do the combine numbers matter to veteran players (like a universal modifier to the ratings?) or is it just a random numbers?
Combine numbers are based on a player's behind the scenes actual ratings at the start of the new season. They are somewhat randomized as well (just like scouted ratings). As soon as pre-season has started, these numbers have become meaningless and you'll have to wait for the start of next season to be recalculated. Also check the help file, you can't compare the 40 dash of a DE to the 40 dash of a DT. When you switch a DT to DE (who can play that position), it can magically take .30 seconds of his 40-time. (And vice versa also happens).

Quote:
What is pass rush technique vs strength (And pass block vs strength?) When do they use them? What about play diagnoses vs run defense vs zone defense?
Theories vary on this. My take: pass rush technique determines whether the pass rusher can beat the pass blocker to get to the QB. Pass rush strength might be a man to man modifier based on the blocker's strength, but I'm usually ignoring it for defenders.
Play diagnosis seems to be an overall booster for a defensive player to be at the spot where the ball is going. Run defense appears to determine how likely said player is to make the tackle on the play. Zone defense is purely used on passing plays and it seems to only matter if the player is on zone defense duties and determines how well the defender can cover the receiver he'll might encounter as a target. But as with about half of the ratings, you can't pinpoint exactly what they do, just keep in mind the obvious: when you put your CB, or S, or nickelback, or OLB, or whatever position on zone defense duties, put the player with the better zone defense bar in that depth chart slot.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote