Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #101
Squirrel
Mascot

I've thought about this in IHOF where my affgroups are currently in a statistically unlikely QB drought. Too much inertia effect to switch so far
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #102
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I don't get your comment. There are 4 affinity groups not just the 7-8/8-9/11-12 one.

And yes I saw Jim's note about some being better eladers than others.
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #103
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
I don't get your comment. There are 4 affinity groups not just the 7-8/8-9/11-12 one.

My point is this. There are two basic ways to try to go heavy chemistry:

-Align the whole offense around a QB and his backups, to maximize QB affinities... frex, your 11-12 starting QB would push you to invest in leaders from the 7-8 or 8-9 groups, so those leaders will not only connect with their own groups, but also with the QBs.

-Just focus on each chem group separately and don't worry too much about QB affinities.

I think, for the most part, the heavy-chem community has taken the former approach. It is, admittedly, easier to remember, and it has the benefit of adding the QB chemistry which might be meaningful.

I'm suggesting that maybe diversifying leadership on your offensive groups might be worth the trade off. You lose the QB chem (or most of it) but on theory you gain in the number of players who can serve as leaders or mostly-chemistry assets. Finding high-personality, high-leadership guys is tough enough... it's extra tough to find three such guys to lead your team in three separate position groups, especially if you're constrained to just one or two zodiac signs. Open it up, and just by the numbers it would be easier to find a 10-11 RB, a 2-3 WR, and an 8-9 OL leader.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 AM   #104
Squirrel
Mascot

(anyone reading this who is interested in playing MP FOF with a chemistry team might think about picking up my IHOF team Iowa, which I've had to walk away from as I don't have the time. It's a pretty cool setup with a young QB and a full chem structure in place)

Last edited by Squirrel : 09-04-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #105
QuikSand
lolzcat

...and IHOF is a long-standing league with a lot of tradition/history, and all the BELCo bells and whistles. Rated A++++++ would play again.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #106
SocratesJC
n00b

I'd consider playing a league. I've never done so before though and would require a little coaching. I've been playing SP since the end of the FOF7 era.
SocratesJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #107
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesJC View Post
I'd consider playing a league. I've never done so before though and would require a little coaching. I've been playing SP since the end of the FOF7 era.

I'd be happy to be available to you by PM if you're looking for some help from an experienced player to get up and running.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #108
Squirrel
Mascot

And in case of wider interest, to help SocJC or any others thinking about picking up my IHOF team...my view is that the team should hit .500 or better, with playoff upside, in the medium-term if the GM keeps broadly to the following ideas:

1. Follow the chemistry system, which means leaders in group 3 and followers in groups 5 and 10. Only exceptions: Star players, P, K and LS

2. Specifically, try to sign in FA every player available with >=8 starts who is either (i) group 3 with LDR > 70 and PER > 70 or (ii) group 5 or 10 with LDR <70 and PER > 30

3. Where the player has clearly above replacement-level talent, include bonus $ in the contract; otherwise don't. Preserve cap flexibility and bid hard on affinity stars / starters who come up in free agency (they are worth more to you than the next GM by a hard-to-quantify but clearly-non-zero margin)

4. Draft players in groups 5 and 10 only, except for star prospects (i.e. first round draft picks) in which case disregard affinity and draft BPA

5. When cutting down to 70, 60 and 53 ensure 1 leader in each position group and otherwise cut to leave the best players available, but when two players are similarly good preserve cohesion by keeping the longest-serving guy on the team

6. Overdraft group 5 and 10 QB prospects and establish as much QB depth as possible. Try to have at least 2 and ideally 3 QBs with PER > 80 on the roster

7. Rex everything unless you're very good at gameplanning i.e. you've somehow been able to quantify to yourself satisfactorily that you add value by gameplanning

8. Because the talent level on your roster will be lower than all non-affinity teams, be unusually careful about giving rookies snaps as they can be dangerous to put in by disturbing the balance of your team. Normally, let rookies develop a year or two before making them active, and be comfortable with the idea of sending in instead lots of 40/40 affinity guys who may well surprise you by putting in league-average performance because of the chemistry

I think that's everything that I'd view as of core importance. Will think about it some more

Last edited by Squirrel : 09-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #109
tzach
High School JV

this is a great post -- kudos to squirrel (and quiksand through this thread) to openly and selflessly outline how to build a chemistry-heavy team.

Last edited by tzach : 09-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #110
TeamBills59
n00b

How did chemistry work before FOF8?
TeamBills59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #111
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBills59 View Post
How did chemistry work before FOF8?

Long answer distilled reasonably: mostly the same, though it's gotten tougher to do silly patchover stuff to keep it going... it's always been built off a zodiac system with the effects derived the same way... now only players with starts count, and it's tougher to position stitch guys absurdly to help build the framework.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #112
sdoug78
n00b

Zodiac chemistry chart

Would anyone happen to haver a copy of the zodiac chart for the chemistry they are able to post please?

I have found some old threads where it had been posted but they are no longer available.

Thanks
sdoug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #113
QuikSand
lolzcat

FOF7 Chemistry Chart
Old 09-29-2019, 10:09 AM   #114
tzach
High School JV

if you want more info about the average traits of each personality group, i have made some info available at

https://sites.google.com/view/tzach/personality-traits
Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #115
sdoug78
n00b

Great, thanks for these
sdoug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #116
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
if you want more info about the average traits of each personality group, i have made some info available at

https://sites.google.com/view/tzach/personality-traits

They have different traits? He didn't just use the zodiac stuff for determining the grouping but gave the groups different traits? Holy crap. Time to start collecting Geminis!
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #117
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
They have different traits? He didn't just use the zodiac stuff for determining the grouping but gave the groups different traits? Holy crap. Time to start collecting Geminis!
Dude, they used to have different *talent* levels, too.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #118
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dude, they used to have different *talent* levels, too.

garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #119
QuikSand
lolzcat

bumping just for fun
Old 12-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #120
TeamBills59
n00b

I have a gut feeling that the zodiac chemistry system will be replaced by a more realistic system in the next Front Office Football game.

Last edited by TeamBills59 : 12-22-2019 at 11:28 AM.
TeamBills59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #121
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBills59 View Post
I have a gut feeling that the zodiac chemistry system will be replaced by a more realistic system in the next Front Office Football game.

The Zodiac Braves would be saddened by this development.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #122
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, weird twist in my IHOF roster. Sharing here because... well, I didn't think this could happen.

Roster page is here, for reference in the moment: http://www.fof-ihof.com/teampageroster.php?teamid=29

Current leader is the FB Reese: 8th year, 1-2 group, 77 Ldr, 88 Pers
...a semi-important guy I'm watching is rookie Hall (50/27), who registers NOTHING despite being in the 9-10 group

If I release Reese, new leader is Tousha: 3rd yr, 12-1 group, 79 Ldr, 70 Pers
...and with him as the leader, Hall clicks up to "potential affinity"

So... would that affinity disappear based on too-low numbers once Hall got his starts? (Now, I'm guessing that's the full explanation) I just didn't expect the chemistry listings to improve by moving to a lesser leader. But here I am.

Any thoughts? (Hall might boom in camp and make the RB group tricky for us)
Old 07-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #123
tzach
High School JV

hmm intriguing. we know that higher LEA will give stronger affinities for the same PER, but in this case the change is minimal, and the PER of the new leader is significantly lower.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #124
Squirrel
Mascot

Don't get this
Old 07-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #125
Ternvig
n00b

So I looked into the combined personality strength for my QB affinities.

There dosn't seem to be a correlation between affinity strength and combined personality strength in my team or i'm missing something?

QB1 and Oline leader - combined 133 - Strong affinity
QB 2 and QB 3 (both 91) combined with backfield leader 146 - affinity
QB 2 and QB 3 combined with receiver leader 131 - Affinity

Pos. Per. Ldr.
QB1 89 70
QB2 91 77
QB3 91 31
OL 44 69
WR 40 95
RB 55 100

QB2 and RB combines for both highest combined per strength and and leadership but manages only 'affinity'

When predicting affinity strength whats the 'other factors' at play?

Note: QB2 and QB3 are signed midseason.
Ternvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #126
QuikSand
lolzcat

I know that in the recent video we did, Squirrel dropped a rule of thumb that the sum of the two personality ratings is a decent rule of thumb for an index of the affinity strength.

I don't think he meant that it's gospel, pure and simple. Whatever arithmetic there is in-game is surely more complex than just Pers+Pers. Jim appears to be fond of using rather inexplicable formulae for this sort of purpose... like the metric for what player takes the group leadership role, it's easy to approximate but not completely solved, to my knowledge.

So... is it possible that QBs simply are hard-wired to get along more closely with their offensive lines than with running backs? Sure, it's possible.

So... on your comment "There dosn't seem to be a correlation," let's just adjust that to "There dosn't seem to be a perfect correlation," and we should be all set. There's obviously a strong correlation, and the two players' personality ratings are clearly the major determinants. If there's some noise around the fringes here and there, that's evidence that we don't have this fully nailed down, fully granted.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #127
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternvig View Post
When predicting affinity strength whats the 'other factors' at play?

So, my guesses would be:

-experience/age of player(s)
-duration on team
-number of starts/games/snaps on team
-one or more of the other personality ratings

But I have yet to see anyone rally dig into this.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:30 AM   #128
QuikSand
lolzcat

Side effect of my long term immersion into this garbage:

I looked at the clock just a bit ago, I have a big meeting at 10 I'm preparing for.

I saw it was 9:23

In my mind, a little voice piped up remember, 9-23 is in the 8-9 group, not the 9-10 group

ugh
Old 11-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #129
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Side effect of my long term immersion into this garbage:

I looked at the clock just a bit ago, I have a big meeting at 10 I'm preparing for.

I saw it was 9:23

In my mind, a little voice piped up remember, 9-23 is in the 8-9 group, not the 9-10 group

ugh
Old 01-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #130
QuikSand
lolzcat

Overheard in a recent FOF discussion:

Quote:
sure sex is great and all, but have you ever signed an injured guard as a free agent just to IR him, force him to lose twelve pounds, ruin his career with a position switch, and benefit from a "free" affinity for one season in fake football?
Old 01-09-2023, 05:08 PM   #131
VirgOhNo
n00b

Starting a new SP save today and going chem-heavy. I'll use post #108 above as my guide.

I suspect there will be some value here just in preventing me from fixing what ain't broke.

Using a different team-building approach, I just won the FO Bowl in an SP save and had planned ahead so that I could keep the team exactly as it was for the next two seasons. And then I did what every real-life NFL owner who annoys me does: tinkered too much with the team in the next offseason. Now we're 3-and-4 and getting worse every game.

Thanks so much for sharing this approach. I'm very excited about diving in.

Last edited by VirgOhNo : 01-09-2023 at 05:23 PM.
VirgOhNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #132
QuikSand
lolzcat

enjoy!

post a dynasty thread
Old 01-09-2023, 07:00 PM   #133
QuikSand
lolzcat

enjoy, maybe a dynasty thread?
Old 01-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #134
VirgOhNo
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
enjoy!

post a dynasty thread

I absolutely will!

A few chem questions (apologies if these have been answered elsewhere):

1. Do the 8 starts have to be for my team or just across a player's career?

2. Do the position group leaders need to be starters? Do they even have to be active? What about on IR?

3. Do coaching changes affect chemistry?

Thank you for sharing. Really have enjoyed the YouTube vids, too.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #135
QuikSand
lolzcat

8 starts over the career is enough to switch chemistry effects on forever

2. Do the position group leaders need to be starters? Do they even have to be active? What about on IR?

doesn't matter, even IR

no apparent effect
Old 01-12-2023, 07:36 PM   #136
QuikSand
lolzcat

8 starts switches the chem effects ON forever

doesnt matter, even on IR

doesnt appear to have any effect
Old 01-12-2023, 07:57 PM   #137
VirgOhNo
n00b

Thank you!