Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
user name
n00b

Dynastic cycle question

If one is in MP leagues, the cream tends to rise to the top. And thusly the bottom of the draft order. This is supposed to allow the worse teams/gms the chance to improve their roster at an incrementally greater rate than the playoff teams. So my question is how does a team who fails to achieve in the regular season, ever catch up to teams who make the playoffs and draft 70s in the back of the first round that cost fractions of what players drafted in the top 10 cost? Most of you have experienced a franchise cycling between bad and good, and I assume you have also witnessed franchises that seem to always be competing due to good drafting/GMing etc. Is there hope for the bottom of the barrel or is this just Darwinism in effect?

user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Unfortunately the only cure for this is to git gud as the kids say.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

There's another low key factor at work in favor of lesser teams/managers. The ace drafter is constantly grabbing quality guys in round 5 of the draft, and those of us who really don't get drafting are not. Their teams rapidly get crowded with decent players who now ask for real money, and they get cap-strapped and have to shed those players. FOF has a pretty substantial cohesion factor, and the team that has fewer quality players coming in gets a backdoor bonus by being able to retain guys longer, and might out-cohesion the ace drafters in time.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
bdubbs
n00b

I feel like there's no such thing as a "sure thing" in round 5, but the skill level difference between consistently good and consistently poor drafters is how often those late round players work out for them. I think the best thing a player can do to improve in their drafting is to be thorough examining the deep part of the class and pay extra attention to the late round guy a dominant player is picking. Hell even ask them why they picked that guy and what they liked about them, you might learn something.

Those guys also stay good by picking and choosing the right guys to keep on their roster, and trading the right guys to increase their draft ammo which gives them more flexibility to trade up and back in drafts to zone in on the specific players they want.

Being able to spot the difference between a player who won't last 2 more picks and a guy who will probably be there in 10 picks is pretty important
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
If one is in MP leagues, the cream tends to rise to the top. And thusly the bottom of the draft order. This is supposed to allow the worse teams/gms the chance to improve their roster at an incrementally greater rate than the playoff teams. So my question is how does a team who fails to achieve in the regular season, ever catch up to teams who make the playoffs and draft 70s in the back of the first round that cost fractions of what players drafted in the top 10 cost? Most of you have experienced a franchise cycling between bad and good, and I assume you have also witnessed franchises that seem to always be competing due to good drafting/GMing etc. Is there hope for the bottom of the barrel or is this just Darwinism in effect?

The way to deal with this as a less experienced player is to stick and pick with high draft picks (top 10), and focus only on QB and WR.

Don't be tempted by any other positions or by trading down. Keep doing that and you will become competitive
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote