Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
Elijin
n00b

End of Half Prevent Defense Fix

I'm not sure how many people know about his bug and its subsequent fix, but I'm a long time player and have read many message boards and have never come across this information.

The bug can occur after the two minute warning in the first half, and the last four minutes or so at the end of the game, depending on the score. Instead of going into a prevent defense, the team with the lead adopts a bizarre goal line defense. Technically it's a nickle goal line play where a linebacker and a defensive back drop into deep zones like some Frankenstein Cover-2. Needless to say, it's a terrible choice when trying to maintain the lead.

http://www.fof-ihof.com/ihof/log2085113019.html

The game log linked above shows the bug and the existence of a solution. Orlando can be seen playing the goal line prevent defense after the two-minute warning in the first half. North Plainsfield, on the other hand, beginning at 3:58 in the fourth quarter, start exclusively playing Cover-3 Sky and Cover-4.

After testing in SP I think I've found the solution:

1) You need to have both Cover-4 and Cover-3 Sky available as two of your twelve allotted plays.

2) You absolutely must choose twelve plays, taking all available slots, even if you plan on playing a single defense in every situation. Empty slots are filled with that nickle goal line mongrel, which becomes your default prevent defense.

The testing was done with a 34 defense, but Cover-3 Sky and Cover-4 were the no blitz variety. I have no idea how extra rushers or double teams would effect the results.

Hope this helps.

Elijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijin View Post
Technically it's a nickle goal line play where a linebacker and a defensive back drop into deep zones like some Frankenstein Cover-2. Needless to say, it's a terrible choice when trying to maintain the lead.

On the contrary, I've averaged 1 turnovers per 2 minute drill the last 2 seasons with this 2 minute defense. lol

Thank you for posting this. I had an exchange with Solecismic that went nowhere on this one.

Last edited by Front Office Midget : 01-25-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
Alf
Pro Starter

Ooh, that's a briiliant piece of work ! And thanks for the fix notice.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijin View Post
1) You need to have both Cover-4 and Cover-3 Sky available as two of your twelve allotted plays.
Are you absolutely sure both are required?
I've looked at one of my game plans that was without Cover-4 and my defense was keen enough to use Cover-3 Sky in what would be obvious Cover-4 situations.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
Elijin
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Are you absolutely sure both are required?
I've looked at one of my game plans that was without Cover-4 and my defense was keen enough to use Cover-3 Sky in what would be obvious Cover-4 situations.

I am not absolutely sure. I was mostly interested in just getting the game mechanic to work properly. I do believe I tested that scenario and the result was negative.
Elijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #6
tzach
High School JV

i think point 1) from eli above assumes you want both coverages called at the end. if you want only one (let's say cover 4), you don't need cover 3 sky in your list. but you do need cover 4 in your 12-play list if you want it called at the end of the game (this makes sense to me, so one doesn't get a free play on their list)
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

This is great to finally understand, I noticed about 2 years ago. Even started including a cover-3 or cover-4 in my GPs to try to avoid it but never cracked the puzzle (rarely use 12 slots).
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #8
Sef0r
n00b

It's a shame you actually cannot select 12 DEF plays and then have REX put it into the GP for you.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 AM   #9
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
It's a shame you actually cannot select 12 DEF plays and then have REX put it into the GP for you.

you can -- just press 'yes' in the first pop up and 'no' in the 2nd when asked to remove the 12 plays
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote