Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #51
Squirrel
Mascot

Another quirk. Some affinity-match draft picks are affinities from day-1 without needing to get to eight starts. Others aren't.

Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #52
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I think I remember seeing that 1st round picks automatically qualify for affinities
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #53
Squirrel
Mascot

The two I've seen, from my GML team, were 4th and 6th round picks. Here and here.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't have game access, but I believe it says players drafted in the first four rounds are eligible for chemistry effects in their rookie year. Note - that isn't permanent (as I had hoped), it appears to be just for that first season, then the starts matter. Ugh.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

While you can now see the Red Flag designation on the fingerprint section of a players in the draft pool, that apparently disappears after the draft is completed. It looks like the only way to tell about a RF with an undrafted rookie is by looking at the "Personality View" for all free agents.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #56
QuikSand
lolzcat

Interesting observation -- I have a 2nd year player who started 10 games (676 snaps) in his rookie year, and who now shows up as a "Potential Affinity." I had previously thought it was a firm 8 games to escape the potential status.

Converted MP league, first FOF 8 season hasn't yet started. This is Late FA stage 1, maybe it will click over after the mythical Stage 2:2.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another data point: have a 9y year guy with exactly 7 starts who registers as a position leader. (MP game, converted multiple times)

...and another guy, 5th year, on the same team in the same league, with exactly 7 starts and listed as a "potential affinity"

Last edited by QuikSand : 02-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #58
QuikSand
lolzcat

...and another guy who took over as a position leader with only 4 games played, 4 starts. (MP league, started in FOF 8)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #59
Squirrel
Mascot

Hmm. So perhaps the inference might be that the 8 starts is needed to be an affinity but not a leader?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
Another quirk. Some affinity-match draft picks are affinities from day-1 without needing to get to eight starts. Others aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I don't have game access, but I believe it says players drafted in the first four rounds are eligible for chemistry effects in their rookie year. Note - that isn't permanent (as I had hoped), it appears to be just for that first season, then the starts matter. Ugh.

I meant to post up here the source to confirm this - Jim answered it here; specifically:

The one change to the chemistry system is that if a player doesn’t have starting experience, he won’t count in the chemistry algorithm unless he was drafted the current year in the first four rounds
Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 PM   #61
r00k
n00b

I obtained a FA WR with potential affinity for leader in the offseason and played him in all preseason games. He changed to leader status after game 1 after playing in only two plays. Multi player league.

Last edited by r00k : 02-23-2017 at 10:00 PM.
r00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #62
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Another item here, appears to be a small bug.

On my team I have a position leader, but another guy who is listed as having a "potential affinity." The latter guy would be our position leader if he received the requisite number of starts.

It appears that the messaging as I try to sign free agents is based on the -potential- leader, and not the -current- leader. I don't think I have documented this, but will ship it in. Seems pretty clearly to be a minor bug.

Follow up on this, with a practical note on how annoying it is.

Current team (MP converted league, no idea of these notes matter but I'm adding just in case) has a long time chem leader on the roster, but he lacks the starts to actually be the recognized leader. So on the roster screen, he shows up as inert, no effects. Fine.

However, when I peruse free agents, it looks like all the player reactions indicated (text color) are relative to HIM, rather than my actual current position leader (whom in this case I seek to oust from that station). So, when I'm trying to look for a guy who could become my new group leader, there happens to be a guy out there in precisely the right grouping, with a very high leadership rating (though not as high as the aforementioned no-starts ball-gagged affinity gimp)... who has enough starts and year of experience to become the position leader in-game immediately and would create maybe 6+ group affinities. He's exactly the guy we are looking for (well, I'd prefer higher personality). However, because he wouldn't overtake the neutered guy for hypothetical future group leader, he doesn't even register for a text color. That seems dumb, to me.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #63
Squirrel
Mascot

Is number of starts in the game's CSVs somewhere? Maybe I'm being slow but I can't find it
Old 03-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #64
zbuckley
n00b

As a believer in the QuikSand chemistry team building philosophy I'm incredible disappointed with the direction of FOF8. I feel like it's just a moving target trying to strategist a whole team around this doesn't make sense anymore. You can't consistently count on who is actually going to be the team leader.
zbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #65
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, it's definitely harder to do. But. it's still possible to do.

I don't think the "uncertainty" is insurmountable. But it will put you into a tough spot sometimes, where you have to decide whether it's worth force-feeding a number of starts to a player who otherwise wouldn't merit them, just to get his chemistry effects to kick in.

I think it's nearly impossible to have a virtually top-to-bottom affinity team now, or at least one with decent quality throughout the roster. You just have too many guys who are in years 2-4 of their rookie deals who don't start... on any normal-looking team.

I definitely built my allocation draft team this way in CCFL, and that team is pretty good, #1 seed in each of its first two seasons, even with a major chemistry dropoff from year one to year two. I'm still committed to it in my other leagues, too, with varying degrees of success. But now, I am settling for lesser impact options than I would have in FOF 7, just because it's really hard to find the perfect guy to lead a group now (good enough to start, and the right combo of leadership and personality).

Little doubt that the developer wanted to tone this stuff down. I'm glad he didn't completely pull it out of the game, but it's hard not to feel singled out here, I can agree with you there.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #66
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

At first I didn't get your complaint as the popup was telling me that a guy was gonna be a leader even if he wouldn't get starts on my squad but then after blowing wads on a guy who will never see the field the leader did not change so I get it now. In some cases it did though. Still hoping it will change after TC perhaps...

We really shouldn't be complaining about exploits though, the days of signing FAs and 15 rated dudes just to pile up affinities should end and is really just an unfair advantage to those of us who have or take the time to make spreadsheets.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #67
Squirrel
Mascot

Here’s an example player from the GML who I think is an interesting case study on the FOF 8 changes.

http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=26612

You’ll see I’ve overpaid hugely to get him on our roster as our WR3 or maybe WR4. Why?

- I know he has high PER. I don't know that about anyone in the draft

- He has six starts at another team, which means I can get him to exceptional affinity by week 3, and if he doesn't pan out at WR he will at least have a special teams bar (in the GML we can’t game the depth chart to get starts to marginal WRs that easily; there aren't that many other excep affinity candidates with >8 starts in the population)

- He is year 2, which means I might keep him for years, and he might be good enough to get on the field and add cohesion. That presumes it’s still true that only on-the-field players contribute to cohesion not backups, and also bears in mind that now there is no way to manufacture cohesion in the TC stage

- I was able to sign him as a UFA to end in year 3, giving me a chance of re-signing him at something sensible then, perhaps through to year 6 - though not sure how likely this is, partly that's what I'm trying out

- He will be a position leader candidate eventually, around the time our current leader (who we have had to overpay also until recently) retires

I'd welcome thoughts on this. I’d say the first two points above, and some of the third point, are changes due to FOF 8, whereas the rest was also true in FOF 7.

And more generally, it seems to me that there’s more of a tension between cohesion and chemistry in FOF 8 than previous versions. So far for me, all the roster juggling needed to build the chemistry kills the cohesion. I’m enjoying trying to find an answer.

Last edited by Squirrel : 03-09-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #68
Mobarak
H.S. Freshman Team

I was under the impression the chemistry bonus applied to the position group and not just the individual player..
Mobarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #69
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
...and another guy who took over as a position leader with only 4 games played, 4 starts. (MP league, started in FOF 8)

Interesting twist update...after 4 starts moved him into the leader role, I played him as a reserve - 8 GP, 4 starts, 185 total plays. Roll over the season, and now he's back to "Potential Affinity" (suggesting he needs more starts). Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #70
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
He has six starts at another team, which means I can get him to exceptional affinity by week 3

Not if he gets injured in week 1 and is out for the season. Oops!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #71
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another confusing data point: I have a 4th round rookie listed as a "potential affinity" (I thought that was not supposed to be possible)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #72
zbuckley
n00b

Here's another interesting data point. I have only rookies in my backfield and the leader is a 4th round rookie with 16 leadership. All the other rookies are 5th round picks and beyond or UDFA, and they all have higher leadership than the leader.

I did get the message on some of the UDFA's that they could become leaders with starting experience. My target leader has 65 leadership and i'll post how long it takes for him to become the leader.
zbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #73
Squirrel
Mascot

Another data point: WR drafted by someone else in the 3rd round, then cut immediately, picked up as an FA by me, exceptional affinity after 4 starts
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #74
QuikSand
lolzcat

7th year backup QB, with only 1 start and 24 attempts, and a 95 personality, in a converted MP league. Shows up with multiple full affinities on his player page, but has the asterisk on the roster page.

Is that just the way all QBs are shown, there are no "potential" affinities on the player page? I'm guessing it must be, and I'm only noticing it now.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #75
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Tidbit: A suspended player can remain a position leader.

Hmmm... new data point in SP game. Leader suspended, clearly has the stronger numbers to remain the leader, but doesn't chart while on suspension. We'll leave this one as unresolved for now.

(This case: 11th 7r, 73 lead, 83 pers but suspended, outranked by 9th/63/61)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #76
brothergrim
n00b

Quote:
7th year backup QB, with only 1 start and 24 attempts, and a 95 personality, in a converted MP league. Shows up with multiple full affinities on his player page, but has the asterisk on the roster page.

Is that just the way all QBs are shown, there are no "potential" affinities on the player page? I'm guessing it must be, and I'm only noticing it now.

Did you ever find out what the asterisk means? My back up QB has affinities with all 3 O leaders, but he has that asterisk too.
brothergrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #77
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pretty confident it's the way the game indicates "potential" affinities for QB. There's a text space limit at play there, I'd guess.

Just confirmed. A MP guy of mine with 6 starts had the asterisk, but at 8 starts he no longer had it. Pretty conclusive, I think.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-20-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #78
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

What potential conflict means???
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #79
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Another data point (perhaps already mentioned but I couldn't find a reference after briefly reviewing this thread):

In one of my MP leagues, I had a player change from a potential affinity to an affinity after only 3 starts. On the same team, but a different position group, another player with 3 starts is still a potential affinity.

Last edited by Dawgfan19 : 04-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #80
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yeah, the exact trigger seems like a variable, but I haven't sorted out why it's lower for some players. Could be random, but more likely it's connected to something like personality, leadership, play for winner, etc. It does seem like 8 starts is good enough for all (nearly all?) players to engage, though.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #81
Dawgfan19
High School JV

Agreed, lots of variables in play. But since leadership and personality ratings impact affinities and the strength of the affinities, I'd guess those factors are likely. I also had a safety on the same team (3rd position group) become an affinity after 5 games. There is a correlation between the personality rating of the leader and the number of games trigging the affinity. But this theory has not been verified.
Dawgfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #82
garion333
High School Varsity

As with basically everything in this game I'm sure it's a dice roll. Higher personalities, leadership, etc., probably equate to better dice rolls to flip the switch on affinity.

Every week a player starts they probably get a +1 to their affinity roll so that by ~8th week they get a positive roll.

I'd be surprised if we ever figure out exactly what causes the affinity to trigger because of the variables and behind the scenes dice rolls. If it were as simple as "does player have X starts?" then we would figure it out in no time, but rarely is anything that simple in FOF.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:17 AM   #83
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Correct - it isn't hard at all to manufacture starts for offensive players, for this purpose. I think the seamless way to do it is to use a semi-obscure formation for your first scripted play, and slot your guy(s) in for that formation... and then (if you want) use that formation only sparingly if at all afterward. Half a season later, their switches will be turned on.

I'm not sure that this is better than it was, but that appears to be how it is.

I call this the 'happy formation' and have started using it now the depth charts in the GML are no longer rexed. I went back to have a look at how it got on in the most recent GML season.

The skill position lineup for the first offensive play of each game was

TE Mattes 36/66 PER 78
TE Hutchins 9/12 PER 90
TE Tuitele 18/41 PER 98
RB Boyer 35/52 PER 78
RB Derks 28/28 PER 92

and the objective was to get each of these guys to 8 starts.

The play was a run inside by RB Boyer, and the result of the play in each game was:

Week 1, 4 yard gain
Week 2, 5 yard gain
Week 3, 4 yard gain
Week 4, false start penalty
Week 5, 1 yard gain
Week 6, 2 yard gain
Week 7, 6 yard gain
Week 8, 12 yard gain
Week 10, 6 yard gain
Week 11, 5 yard gain
Week 12, 3 yard gain
Week 13, 4 yard gain
Week 14, 4 yard gain
Week 15, 8 yard gain
Week 16, 3 yard gain
Week 17, 4 yard gain

Seeing as we went 14-2 I left the gameplan and depth charts untouched for the playoffs. I viewed the happy formation as something of a lucky charm.

DIV, 3 yard gain
CONF, 3 yard gain
BOWL, 4 yard gain

Is this an exploit that needs to be banned in MP FOF? No, I don't think so. It's just another hoop for the chemistry crowd to jump through. But I think if Jim was trying to attach the chemistry dynamic more obviously to the players who get more playing time, the >8 starts condition might have been better set as say a >100 snaps per season condition, at least for these offensive skill guys that we have more control over. Or alternatively, and this would be my preference, define the 'starters' as the 11 players on each side of the ball who get the most snaps, not just the players who happen to be on the field for the first play.

Anecdotally I get the sense that FOF 8 is more aggressive at retiring free agent affinity players than FOF 7. And perhaps a by-product of the happy formation may be unusually early retirements for players, even key contributors, who may get lots of snaps but get zero starts. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I have seen it elsewhere.

Last edited by Squirrel : 05-16-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #84
KODIAKBEAR
n00b

CHEMISTRY

So what does character, intelligence, and Wants Winner actually mean in the game?
Old 05-17-2017, 06:33 PM   #85
Mobarak
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm so excited to see these answers!
Mobarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #86
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

I have heard Intelligence is related to penalties.

Wants Winner means when consudering offers extra value is given to Winners.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 AM   #87
Squirrel
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
I have heard Intelligence is related to penalties.

How Can I Reduce My Penalties In FOF8??? – Front Office Football Multiplayer Resources
Old 05-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #88
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Nice, wonder if the engine distinguishes between penalties an INT is more related to presnap stuff, while opportunity and talent differential would be more related to holding or DPI and finally Discipline having more to do with personal fouls.

Last edited by Ushikawa : 05-18-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 AM   #89
QuikSand
lolzcat

The game docs say that a former first round player will always be included in the chem equation (regardless of starts). I have a player proving otherwise -- drafted pick 1.11 (note: it was my second pick of that draft, I guess that could be the issue here) but didn't start any games in year one -- now shows with a "Potential Affinity."
Old 01-14-2018, 02:41 AM   #90
bomber33bomber
n00b

Have a few questions about FOF8 Chemistry.. Experienced FOF Player but first time messing around with Chemistry in the game..

- Personality: what does personality do? the higher the personalty, the higher the affinity with the leader? in what way does personality impact chemistry/affinity?

- Leadership: what does leadership mean? like the higher the leadership is the higher likelyhood that the person will be a leader? For a follower, does leadership impact the affinity with his group leader?

- High Personalty Low leadership... these guys will be good followers for the leader?

- Low Personalty High Leadership... this guys will be good leaders but bad followers? Does a low personality leader impact how strong the follower's affinity with the leader?

- Low personality QB. I have a low personalty (22 personality, 62 leader, 6-27 Birthday, Group 6) QB and a good FB leader (80 leader, 81 personality, 4-25 Birthday, Group 4) .. the QB should affinity with the FB but he doesnt.. not sure why. Is it because of the low personalty. This was also true for the WR leader (91 leadership, 64 personality, 5-17 birthday, group 4) also..

- Performance Impact.. how much impact does chemistry have on the group performance do you guys think? is it worth the time to deal with it?

- Chemistry impact the whole positional group right? so even if the affinity is with all the bench players, the starters will play better? true?

Last edited by bomber33bomber : 01-14-2018 at 02:42 AM.
bomber33bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:08 AM   #91
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber33bomber View Post
- Personality: what does personality do? the higher the personalty, the higher the affinity with the leader? in what way does personality impact chemistry/affinity? It determines the strength of the chemistry effect. More personality, more positive/negative effect. You can have leader with 0 personality and they're completely useless as no one will be an affinity with them. Personality for non-leaders is also important for determining how strong the affinity (or conflict) is, if any.

- Leadership: what does leadership mean? like the higher the leadership is the higher likelyhood that the person will be a leader? Yes For a follower, does leadership impact the affinity with his group leader? Leadership only determines chance of becoming a leader.

- High Personalty Low leadership... these guys will be good followers for the leader? Potentially, yes.

- Low Personalty High Leadership... this guys will be good leaders but bad followers? Does a low personality leader impact how strong the follower's affinity with the leader? These guys will be bad leaders and unlikely to form chemistry with a leader due to low personality.

- Low personality QB. I have a low personalty (22 personality, 62 leader, 6-27 Birthday, Group 6) QB and a good FB leader (80 leader, 81 personality, 4-25 Birthday, Group 4) .. the QB should affinity with the FB but he doesnt.. not sure why. Is it because of the low personalty. Yes,
your QB is struggling to develop chemistry because he has no personality.
This was also true for the WR leader (91 leadership, 64 personality, 5-17 birthday, group 4) also. Again, pretty sure it's your QB's lack of personality. Might require a leader with higher personality to make
up for it. See note below on Disposition.

- Performance Impact.. how much impact does chemistry have on the group performance do you guys think? is it worth the time to deal with it? Personally I think chemistry is a nice thing to have and something to work toward, but I prefer talent over chemistry. The teams that go all in on chemistry (Quik, Squirrel) tend to perform well but I don't see them dominating in FOF8. It's a viable path, but FOF8 made it tougher to build a chemistry juggernaut. I don't think it's worth going all in, but you may enjoy it.

- Chemistry impact the whole positional group right? so even if the affinity is with all the bench players, the starters will play better? true? Yes for cohesion, probably for chemistry. I'm not 100%
certain on the chemistry bit.

FOF8 added in "Disposition" which labels players as mellow, sociable, etc. Mellow is bad for chemistry as it means they're less likely to develop chemistry. Sociable is the opposite.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #92
Squirrel
Mascot

Bomber, garion nails it as always, but just to put numbers to it...

Players only seem to qualify for affinity stuff if they have 8 starts or more (except players drafted in rounds 1-4 playing in their rookie year, who count towards affinity regardless).

Whoever has the highest LDR among the players with 5 or more years of EXP is normally the leader. Having more EXP is the tiebreaker when the LDR is close between guys, say within 10 points or so.

You then add up the PER of the leader and the follower (i.e. the players in the right affinity groups, so 3 likes 5 and 10 and so on) to gauge the affinity. More often than not >150 is exceptional, >100 is strong, >50 is mild.

That's why you want leaders with high PER. In the draft, if a player is badged as 'cheerful' they typically have PER > 66.

Same approach applies between the QB and the position leaders on offense, if they are in groups that like each other, add up the PER of both and look for whether it beats 150, 100 or 50.

As a rule of thumb, but I would say that if you get more than 10 exceptional affinities on a roster, and 3 exceptional affinities between the QB and the position leaders, you're well on the way to a .500 record in any MP FOF league, and you will completely dominate in SP.

As garion quite rightly points out, teams following this approach across MP FOF such as my GML and IHOF teams are often capping out...for my teams lately the cap-out is at 12-win regular seasons and divisional round playoff exits. Quik performs far better than this, so I'd say my failings are likely my execution, but it might be chemistry as a strategy more broadly, I don't know.

What I would say is I don't think I've ever seen a team with >10 excep affinities, plus QB excep affinities, pick in the top 10 of an MP FOF draft regardless of talent level, cohesion, gameplanning or anything else. I think there's a lot more leeway when drafting when you know the player will be a strong or excep affinity if he gets 8 starts.

I haven't got enough experience to have a view on whether the impact of any of this is different in FOF 8 vs previous versions. The mechanics got harder as the 8 starts conditions came in with FOF 8.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #93
bomber33bomber
n00b

thanks Squirrel. thanks Garion. Great answers to my questions.

Garion, i never knew you knew anything.. shocking!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #94
bomber33bomber
n00b

a few more questions...

- does leadership and personality change and grow yearly? how fast?

- 8 starts.. is playing time a factor? i can just start them on the 1st play on 1st down and it'll be all good from that after 8 games?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 AM   #95
Squirrel
Mascot

LDR and PER are constant through a career, no change.

8 starts means 8 first snaps in the game, yeah. Easy to do for the offense skill players (see up this thread), harder on D. If you can figure out how to do it on D let me know!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #96
garion333
High School Varsity

For offense, guys who are into chemistry tend to run weird plays to get certain starters their GS badge. It's stupid and I wrote to Jim explaining the requirement to start games is arbitrary and leads to much silliness. I hope he reverts chemistry back to pre-FOF8 ways.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #97
hrd12
n00b

I'm in a MP league with a few friends and I'm trying to understand the chemistry part of the game. I cut the old leader for cap reasons so I started working to get some chemistry fits for the new leader (Aries -- 4/9). A LG in free agency who should be a fit (Scorpio -- 11/11) does not show up as a match when I offer the contract. I tested it by signing him as the commish and he doesn't show up as an affinity or potential affinity.
I also tried trading for a T (Gemini -- 6/16) as the commish to test it further and he didn't show up as an affinity or potential affinity. Fwiw, I didn't sim the stage, so maybe it just needs that to add those players as affinities?

The help file says
"Newcomers to your team are only included in team chemistry when they have accumulated a few career starts."

If that is the case I'd assume he'd at least be a potential affinity? Thanks!
hrd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #98
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

The sum of personalities needs to be 100 for an affinity
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #99
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
The sum of personalities needs to be 100 for an affinity

I'm not certain it's exactly that simple, but yes - the magnitudes of the personality rating of the group leader and other player determine whether it's an Exceptional, Strong, (unlabeled), or Weak affinity... and in some cases it will simply fly under the radar and not show up in game at all.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #100
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thought experiment.

Lots of us try to build a coherent offensive chemistry, usually building out from a build-around QB, and putting groups into place who work with him. I think that's the default for most chem-heavy teams.

But, are we doing it wrong?

If we center the whole offense on the 7-8/8-9/11-12 groups, frex, we end up looking at the exact same pool of players for fits, and most importantly, for leaders.

Maybe we are better off diversifying. If we ditch the QB connections, and spread our chemistry into three groups, that would lessen the problems in finding a suitable leader/fit in the group where we need one.

On my organized team, if I need an 8-9 receiving leader, I have already used lots of those guys elsewhere. They are on my team in various roles.

But if my RB chem is elsewhere, then I haven't had any use for that low-rated 11-12 fullback. He could be out there to sign and switch over to play TE. Same for that underweighted C. Every time we're searching for a leader, instead of stepping on our own toes, maybe we're better off by deliberately diversifying.

The downside: single affinity, rather than double/triple, for your QBs
The upside: much better selection of affinity gimp players