Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Version 5.0b

I just uploaded the version 5.0b patch. SkyDog has been kind enough to host the download in order to take the pressure off of ViaTech (which doesn't seem to have the server space to handle the initial crush).

You can find the download here: FOF 2004 Version 5.0b

The following issues have been fixed for 5.0b...

50. Teams should not take a knee in the closing seconds of the first half on fourth down.

51. When in an end-game situation, teams should go for the field goal when out of time outs in the closing seconds when appropriate (corrects bad fix for 36 above).

52. Fix crash on view play in unusual situations where less than 46 players are active.

53. Slightly lower chance teams may choose to run a 34 defense.

54. Change ratings in initial game file to slightly lower overall ratings, evening out positions and reflecting some breakout 2003 performances..

55. Display Kick return averages correctly on career statistics screen.

56. Only erase end of week emails at the end of the week.

57. In rare circumstance where there was a fumble on a running play at a specific time, the drive chart now correctly displays the following drive.

58. When signing human-owned free agents in single-player during free agency period, game now correctly displays seventh year of contract, if offered.

59. Raised a Denver player's age from 16 to 26.

60. Fixed a couple of problems with fourth-down penalties and touchdown penalties incorrectly accepted or declined.

61. Don't allow quarterbacks to come back to the game if ejected for bad sportsmanship.

62. Correctly display names of players in play-calling view screen after season one.

63. Don't allow view of draft order during first season, where it's irrelevant.

64. Correctly generate kick holding ratings for players imported from college game.

65. Allow teams to milk the clock a little more when in the lead late in the game.

66. Shorten individual maximum field goals attempted and slightly lower long field goal success rate while increasing short field goal success rate.

67. When viewing schedules through power ratings screen, right-clicking to access top performances no longer crashes.

68. When selecting Any Receiver in a formation, default to receivers who don't appear in the backfield depth chart.

69. Some penalties on kick plays should not end a half, even if time has expired.

Just download the new executable and run it. It should automatically install. Old careers will not be affected, though customizations of graphics files (helmets, backgrounds) will be overwritten.

This will patch either 5.0 or 5.0a.

Also, I've updated TCY. It's still version 1.2a. I just fixed the problem with the scouting function on the depth charts. I had put too much emphasis on youngsters. Just follow the instructions at Solecismic.com to update TCY.

That update won't affect 1.2 or 1.2a careers, and the only affect on earlier careers is with the conference scheduling.

Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Referenced, sticky, etc.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Thanks, Jim. I guess a "long vacation" for you is the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I delayed it. It starts now. I think.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #5
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I liked Josh Poe (the 16 yo Denver player, I think). He was my little Freddy Adu at LG...
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
amdaily
College Prospect

How unexpected . Good idea releasing it in the middle of the day too, I'm downloading at 318 kb/sec.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Nice... I just bought the game this morning, and was having trouble downloading anyway... all I need is the patched version from good ol' SkyDog's server to get started, right?

Also:

Quote:

54. Change ratings in initial game file to slightly lower overall ratings, evening out positions and reflecting some breakout 2003 performances..

Does this mean that Tim Hasselbeck is going to look like the QB of the future if I play as the Redskins?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by amdaily
How unexpected . Good idea releasing it in the middle of the day too, I'm downloading at 318 kb/sec.
At the release of FOF2004, I learned that I have an insane amount of bandwidth. I had no clue. I'm only paying $9.99 per month with unlimited transfer, 500MB of space, and (obviously) some amazing transfer speeds. So, while I appreciate Jim's nod, it really isn't "kind" of me to make the space available. It is a 100% no-brainer and no inconvenience whatsoever to me.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Nice... I just bought the game this morning, and was having trouble downloading anyway... all I need is the patched version from good ol' SkyDog's server to get started, right?
Yeah, it is the complete version of the game. You'll just need to enter Order ID #, I think..

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-02-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #10
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Question, why is this patch a full download? It says 29 mb. Do we have to download the entire thing again? It took 2 hours the last time.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:24 PM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by DolphinFan1
Question, why is this patch a full download? It says 29 mb. Do we have to download the entire thing again? It took 2 hours the last time.
It shouldn't this time (unless you're on dialup). So far, this server has proven to be much, much faster.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Dola--I'm still getting around 144KB/sec, which is as fast as my DSL has ever gone. I really have no idea what the upper limit is...
Old 12-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #13
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Skydog, I am on dial up. My question wasn't very clear, Sorry.

How come you have to download the whole 29 MB again? I thought It was just a patch.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:28 PM   #14
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

D/Ling right now. Very slow from DSL 13 kb/s (!!!) but server problems on my end...
Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Rock on. Glad to hear it won't affect careers, since we *just* started the eNFL.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by fantastic flying froggies
D/Ling right now. Very slow from DSL 13 kb/s (!!!) but server problems on my end...
Must be. Just ran another download....146KB/sec that time
Old 12-02-2003, 01:32 PM   #17
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
At the release of FOF2004, I learned that I have an insane amount of bandwidth. I had no clue. I'm only paying $9.99 per month with unlimited transfer, 500MB of space, and (obviously) some amazing transfer speeds. So, while I appreciate Jim's nod, it really isn't "kind" of me to make the space available. It is a 100% no-brainer and no inconvenience whatsoever to me.

That's an awesome deal... who's your web-hosting provider? I might be looking for a new place here soon...
Old 12-02-2003, 01:32 PM   #18
wheels
Creative Director, Grey Dog Software

Smile

jim,

your dedication is admirable. now go take some time off.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:33 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:

How come you have to download the whole 29 MB again? I thought It was just a patch.
You'll have to ask Jim that. I certainly don't know the ins and outs of this sort of thing. One reason, though, would have to be that there are changes to the player file, and not just the exe.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #20
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Thanks Skydog. Guess I'll have to download it tonight after work.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:34 PM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
That's an awesome deal... who's your web-hosting provider? I might be looking for a new place here soon...
Well, it is an old plan, and the last time I checked, they weren't offering it any more. The hosting company info is at www.aplus.net
Old 12-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by wheels
jim,

your dedication is admirable. now go take some time off.
Seriously. Looking at the fix list, my first thought was, "Wow, that's some pretty picayune stuff considering the release was less than three weeks ago."
Old 12-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #23
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Thank you so much Jim for the support to the games, as always.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:39 PM   #24
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

It even includes one bug fix I reported which was pretty minor and whose report I thought had gone unnoticed !
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #25
Ben E Lou

Just checked. Here's their $9.99 a month plan now:

200 MB storage
Unlimited transfer
50 e-mail boxes
Free domain name

They've bumped up the e-mail boxes, (My plan has just 5, but I am only using 2 of them.) and lowered the storage space considerably. The unlimited transwer is very nice though, especially at these speeds. (I just DL'ed again at 150 KB/s. I'm guessing we're not gonna have any slowdown issues at all with the downloading the patch.)
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #26
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

It all depends on where the code was changed. If it was the main exe, then you'll have to download the majority of the game again. *shrug*
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #27
amdaily
College Prospect

Does this mean HR's roster utility is going to need updated as well? If I recall correctly it was based on the real player file and not the default player file.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #28
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

51 convinced me. I was getting a lot of email about that.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Does this mean HR's roster utility is going to need updated as well? If I recall correctly it was based on the real player file and not the default player file.
It was based on the talent percentages given in the help files, I'm faily certain, and NOT on the real or default player files.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:42 PM   #30
amdaily
College Prospect

Skydog,

I wouldn't just toss around that unlimited bandwidth to carelessly, there are more than a few complaints about Aplus over at WebHostingTalk, this being just one - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=34509&highlight=aplus+unlimited.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #31
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Skydog,

I wouldn't just toss around that unlimited bandwidth to carelessly, there are more than a few complaints about Aplus over at WebHostingTalk, this being just one - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...lus+unlimited.
Interesting. We'll see what happens. With the mirror up during half of November, I had 13GB of traffic, which is by FAR the most traffic ever. (Before that, it was a little over 2GB in any month.)

To be honest, at the time I purchased the hosting package, I didn't even know what "unlimited transfer" meant.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #32
Ben E Lou

Dola--

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:09 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Re: Version 5.0b

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic

Just download the new executable and run it. It should automatically install. Old careers will not be affected, though customizations of graphics files (helmets, backgrounds) will be overwritten.

This will patch either 5.0 or 5.0a.

A question from the tired and hungry who just want a simple answer.

Which does "old careers will not be affected" mean:

A. That old careers wont be erased/altered, but the fixes and enhancements found in the new patch will exist in the old career.

or

B. That old careers wont be erased/altered, but the only way to take advantage of the fixes and enhancements found in the new patch is to start a new career?

or

C. A mix of the two.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:10 PM   #34
Franklinnoble
Banned

Hmm... from reading over there, it sounds like "Unlimited Transfer" is just a big fat lie used to sell hosting accounts.

I doubt they'll ding you for using a ton of bandwidth over the course of a month or so - but if you were to continually generate that sort of traffic, I'm sure you'd get a nastygram in your e-mail box.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:18 PM   #35
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Seriously. Looking at the fix list, my first thought was, "Wow, that's some pretty picayune stuff considering the release was less than three weeks ago."

Ok, I'm not sure if we should give SkyDog a gold star or a slap on the wrist for using the word "picayune" in a sentence.

The only time I've heard that in my LIFE was when I was living in New Orleans. The name of the newspaper is the Times-Picayune. Until today I had NO idea what picayune meant. Had to look it up.

And SkyDog was a MATH major?? And he plays guitar too!! What a renaissance man!

Last edited by Buzzbee : 12-02-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:22 PM   #36
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee

And SkyDog was a MATH major?? And he plays guitar too!! What a renaissance man!

And he looks good in a bikini.

Old 12-02-2003, 02:27 PM   #37
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ok, I'm not sure if we should give SkyDog a gold star or a slap on the wrist for using the word "picayune" in a sentence.
I had to know over 2,000 vocab words for my 10th grade English comprehensive final exam. A pretty good number of them still stick with me today.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 PM   #38
sabotai
General Manager

Honolulu_Blue, it seems like you can just run the old careers with the fixes. Escept for the one player's age being changed, there doesn't appear to be anything on that list that would require you to start over to have all of the fixes. They all seem liek display and AI tweaks and fixes to me.

But then again, I have no idea.

And on the issue of having to redownload the whole thing, I wonder if it has something to do with ViaTech and their elicensing...not that I care. Cable pwns j00! I started downloading it when I began writing this message...it's done now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:52 PM   #39
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Until today I had NO idea what picayune meant. Had to look it up.

yep, same here
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #40
nfgrawker22
n00b

Having probs installing....dowloaded and hit yes for reinstall and then it gets to 20 percent installing and has a error and says it is moving or sumthing
Old 12-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #41
bryce
High School Varsity

i'm in the same boat as honolulu_blue with regards the tcy 1.2a patch - will the fix take place in my current tcy career, or will i have to start a new career to get the new feature?
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:24 PM   #42
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by nfgrawker22
Having probs installing....dowloaded and hit yes for reinstall and then it gets to 20 percent installing and has a error and says it is moving or sumthing

Make sure you don't have FOF2k4 open or something. It might be trying to overwrite a file and by having the game open it won't be able to.

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence. Just trying to help.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:31 PM   #43
nfgrawker22
n00b

OMG...lol im a newb...didnt insult my intellegence...that was it because I was playing it I wasnt thinkin....
Old 12-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #44
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. I was actually impressed on how much has been addressed let alone in such a short period of time. It goes a long way towards making a strong statement in regards to Jim's customer service. He has apparently been listening well and working hard.

Every issue that has given me pause in purchasing this version has been resolved. Thanks Jim.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:50 PM   #45
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Jim,

Thank you for delaying your vacation for us. Please do take your well-deserved vacation and enjoy it. Please thank the family for us for being so understanding.

It's a selfish request really. We need you sane and ready so we can have our future Solecismic fixes.

Ben,

It may not be a big deal to you but to those of us who don't have to fight the traffic at ViaTech, it's great. Thanks.

PS - Curse you for making me look up "picayune".
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:07 PM   #46
Buzzbee
College Starter

To save the rest of you the trouble (from dictionary.com)

picˇaˇyune adj.

Of little value or importance; paltry. See Synonyms: trivial.
Petty; mean.

n.
A Spanish-American half-real piece formerly used in parts of the southern United States.
A five-cent piece.
Something of very little value; a trifle: not worth a picayune.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:12 PM   #47
Icy
Pro Starter

Jim please, upload the new rattings file .csv to your website, here is still the pre-patch one: http://www.solecismic.com/support/csv.html

I want to paste on the new one the real players names.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:16 PM   #48
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

wanna say thanks to both Jim and Ben here.

Jim, those are some nifty little tweaks.
Ben, the download was a breeze.

FM
Old 12-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #49
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola,

And oh, picayune, now that I've looked it up, may well become one of my new favorite word of the english language, replacing "flabbergasted" in my book

FM
Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM   #50
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Icy
Jim please, upload the new rattings file .csv to your website, here is still the pre-patch one: http://www.solecismic.com/support/csv.html

I want to paste on the new one the real players names.

Quote:
59. Raised a Denver player's age from 16 to 26.

I just checked it again and the player in questions birthdate is 1977 in the .csv so Jim must've already updated it. Don't know if that includes the ratings tweaks or not.