Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
Clark
n00b

FOF:Which QB?

My quarterback, David Carr is in his 18th year and I want to pick a replacement. I have aquired the first pick in the draft and I see two quarterbacks who look very promising. Who would you choose?

Name: Robbie Abolofia
Ht/Wgt: 6-4 229
QB style: Roll-out
Formations: 6
Volatility: 87
Solecismic test: 46
40-yard dash: 4.76
Bench press: 19
Agility test: 7.07
Bureau rating: 7.1
Curr. Impression: 18 out of 100
Future Potential: 90 out of 100
Fully developed: 20%

Name: Albert James
Ht/Wgt: 5-9 195
QB style: Short pass
Formations: 13
Volatility: 92
Solecismic test: 55
40-yard dash: 4.58
Bench press: 14
Agility test: 7.25
Bureau rating: 7.0
Curr. Impression: 40 out of 100
Future Potential: 77 out of 100
Fully developed: 51%

Are the volatility scores for these guys to high for a pick this high?
What would you do?

Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
tucker342
Pro Starter

Would he need to start right away?

Tough choice.... I can see the benefits of each one.... but I would pick the 1st one:
5-9 is too short for a QuarterBack, plus I like that 90 potential...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

1st one. As I've said before, do not fear high volitility!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:28 PM   #4
Easy Mac

If this were real life, I'd say go with #1. He's 6-4 229 and rolls out, which is a plus. He may not know many formations, but he is pretty smart. The problem is, his volatility can only be a negative, because he won't improve too much, but the potential for a bust is huge. He's not very fast or strong, but he's pretty damn agile, so he should be able to move for a first down.

Player 2 is pretty small and excels at short passes. In real life, this is a deadly combination because he can't see over the line to make these short passes. He has decent speed, but is weak and cannot move much in the pocket. He does seem to be a pretty smart player though, so he may be a steady performer.

I can see this as comparing a physical specimen with a guy who knows the game very well (Maybe a video game version of Chris Sims v. Major Applewhite?). Who would you want on your team?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Trade Down.. sign a free agent QB until a better prospect comes along. I think the bust potential is just too high with the first choice and the second choice is not quite good enough (I'm biased against short QB's even though it doesn't really matter in the game.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:40 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Id take the second one. The first one smells of Ryan Leaf
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Also as I look again, the 2nd one has too high of a volatility. They both are too likely to bust to risk the 1st overall pick on them.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I'd grab the second one. I am very wary of Abolofia's low fully developed score. Normally it seems that a player with a high volatility and high fully delveloped score won't bust, normally. I also like the high solecismic test scores.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:26 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would take James because he is far more developed and then sign a veteran QB to mentor him (unless Carr is a mentor).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #10
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Abolofia = Mike Vick
James = Doug Flutie

In real life I'd go with Abolofia as James is almost too small to play the modern game.

But in the game, height & weight don't count for much. James knows many more formations (13 vs. 6 - 13 is a huge number for a rookie QB and 6 is exceptionally small). This affects the number of plays you (or your coach) can run, and to some extent how effective they are. James has maybe a 90% chance to turn out to be smarter, which helps in learning formations. James is also faster, at least in a straight line, so his scramble rating should be OK. James also has better current ratings, so he'd be much more effective if he had to play right away.

So I'd much prefer James if I had to take one of these two guys. But my first preference would be to trade down. 7.0 and 7.1 are good, but not all that great. Adjusted they'd probably be in the mid-7s. There must be other players in the draft who have adjusted ratings higher than that.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:33 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark
Are the volatility scores for these guys to high for a pick this high? What would you do?

Yes, those volatility scores are too high for that pick IMO.
I'd trade down in a heartbeat and wait for a surer thing to tie up all that cap money on.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #12
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I'd trade down for a billion draft picks.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
corbes
College Benchwarmer

dola-

Look for a QB with High Current, Low Potential, and High Volatility.

You can get them in the 6th or 7th round, or even as an unsigned draft pick.

I took a QB in the 6th round, and he won a FOF Bowl, was League MVP, and was a sure-fire HOFer before he lost his leg in a tragic woodchipping accident.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #14
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Woodchipping accident ?!?
Old 02-03-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Trade down to #2, you can easily pick get the #2 and a future 1st for the #1 pick. If a QB isn't selected first overall, trade down to #3. Repeat the process until you are selecting the 2nd of the 2 QB's, and have a bunch of extra picks for the future.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #16
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
he lost his leg in a tragic woodchipping accident.

Thats great.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Does the height aspect have any actual effect in the game? I wonder this when I see a highly rated CB that 5'7", or a DT that weighs 260 pounds. Do these stats really impact the game or the players performance? I always heed them, I wont take a short QB, or a light DT, but in the end does it impact the game?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #18
Clark
n00b

Thanks for all the responses.
After reading all of your posts I have decided not to draft Abolofia or James, it's just to risky.
I was so focused on drafting a QB that I never looked at some of the other guys in the draft. I found this gem:

Matthew Irwin
5-8 210
Running Back
Volatility: 60
Solecismic test: 37
40-yard dash: 4.38
Bench press:29
Agility rating: 7.10
Bureau rating: 9.0
Curr. Impression: 80 out of 100
Future Potential: 89 out of 100
Fully developed: 89%

So here is the plan: Draft Irwin with the first pick and use Carr to QB this year. Next year sign a FA QB, their are a couple of QB with a 60 rating who will be FA. I hope I can afford them.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #19
Huckleberry
College Starter

Well, when I finally get around to starting my single-player dynasty in earnest after figuring out my City Editor issues, one of the things I plan to do is to run a concurrent TCY dynasty. Not sure whether or not I'll actually be involved in the TCY dynasty, but either way in situations like this I will be able to see the next year's QB crop and determine if any solid QBs are due out the next season.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #20
amdaily
College Prospect

Not to steal your thread or anything, but this topic got me thinking. Does anyone notice QB's not being valued enough early in the draft? In 35 years in my current league, only 2 QB's have been selected #1 overall. Look at my leagues stats vs. 35 years of NFL #1 history:

Code:
FOF NFL QB 2 12 RB 8 7 WR 4 2 OL 5 2 DL 13 11 LB 0 2 CB 3 0

Should this distribution be addressed in 5.0c?

Last edited by amdaily : 02-03-2004 at 05:32 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #21
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Clark,

How did Abolofia and James turn out?
What pick did they go?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #22
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Well, when I finally get around to starting my single-player dynasty in earnest after figuring out my City Editor issues, one of the things I plan to do is to run a concurrent TCY dynasty. Not sure whether or not I'll actually be involved in the TCY dynasty, but either way in situations like this I will be able to see the next year's QB crop and determine if any solid QBs are due out the next season.
You'll notice that there are very few solid QB's that come out of TCY...
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #23
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Not to steal your thread or anything, but this topic got me thinking. Does anyone notice QB's not being valued enough early in the draft? In 35 years in my current league, only 2 QB's have been selected #1 overall. Look at my leagues stats vs. 35 years of NFL #1 history:

I noticed it. I have been taking my drafts thru TCY and the best QB's can be had in the late 1st rd. Good QBs can be had in 3-7. Guards are taken much higher than in real life. I have also noticed that the AI seems to make strange decisions with QBs. One team will let their star QB walk only to start a season with 3 undrafted FAs, and others will have 2 $15 mil QBs. Tennessee in my current league let McNair sign with New England after 3 straight MVP seasons. 2 years later they still haven't replaced him. In the real NFL a 3 time MVP would be franchised.

Since continuity really does play an impact, shouldn't teams try to hold on to players?
BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #24
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily

Code:
FOF NFL QB 2 12 RB 8 7 WR 4 2 OL 5 2 DL 13 11 LB 0 2 CB 3 0

Since 1990 Jeff George, Drew Bledsoe, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick, and David Carr have all been first overall selections (am I missing someone?). In my 30 year franchise I have never seen a QB picked first overall. I feel that it is something that needs to be addressed.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote