Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

FOFC Musicians?

Y'know. I've been kind of smash and grab in the political threads, thought I'd try to be constructive for once.

I'm a terrible guitar and drum player, but I've stuck with them for 30 some years now (I can keep time, and I know most chords and can play semi-playable).

I was curious if anyone else plays.

Currently in the guitar stable:

One Ruby Red Ovation Standard Balladeer I grabbed at a hole in the wall shop in Geneseo NY.

A teal transparent Fender American Deluxe Strat I bought after college graduation.

A natural Fender thinline 72 reissue Telecaster for doing well job bonus...it's not a true tele though it has dual humbuckers rather than the traditional telecaster setup.

I also due to COVID back in August bought an Ernie Ball Musicman James Valentine which I really love, but because of it being a special edition, I keep cased up (my four year has already left some lasting marks on my tele). This one is only one of 55 made, so I think it's more of a collector item then a true workhorse but I love the sound of it.

For the drums, I have a Gretsch Renown 4 piece. I'm lucky enough to have a home where I can play without annoying anyone but my loved ones.

Plus I like the idea of showing my kids music (my 9 year old plays viola and has learned how to play songs by ear).

I won't even go into my amp and guitar pedal collection.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I started playing drums very poorly like 6 years ago. I am not very good at that one part...I think it's called "practicing"??
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I started playing drums very poorly like 6 years ago. I am not very good at that one part...I think it's called "practicing"??

I had a Gretsch Catalina Club, loved it, but I moved to a townhome and it had to be sold.

I like the color of Renowns but I'm not getting the same punchy sound, though now I have the SilentStrokes and the Ziljian Low Volume Cymbals which has helped increase practice time, my four year old loves them.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 02-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I feel you, I live in a 3rd floor apt, so I have a crappy Yamaha electronic kit, but I used to take lessons (when that was a thing) on a Catalina Club kit. How do you like those SilentStroke mesh heads?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #5
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I have been a guitar player since I was 7. Was playing in bands for many years and toured around our region. I had a 5150 head and 2x12 cabinet which defined my sound, but had to sell it as I live in a townhouse and could never play it at a volume high enough to get the good sound. I ended up buying a digital emulation amp (Spider IV) which I honestly don't like.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

9 years of piano lessons make me think that I am first of all a pianist, but I've been the (self-taught) bass player for a 60's cover band since about 2010. We are "professional" in that we get paid, and we have the cool trivia tidbit of opening for Eddie Money, but we're really just a local garage band. Our drummer (who happens to be my dad) and lead guitarist have played for and with some really big acts in the past, but we mostly do it for fun. The money we make goes into buying sushi for us all, and occasionally into gear.

I rock a Fender Jazz mainly, though I do own four different bass guitars:
  • Fender Jazz
  • Lakland 5-String
  • Ibanez Soundgear
  • A literally nameless clear-body acrylic bass guitar that weighs like 80 pounds, sounds like garbage, but looks AWESOME.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I played drums from the time I was 8 until about 20 and moved out of my parents. I was really good. Played in some bands that did decent gigs.

One of my best friends is a professional drummer, plays in a super popular east coast cover band called the Amish Outlaws. I jam on his kit every once in a while but thats about it. He always tells me I should fill in for him but I would probably crap my pants.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I can play a very basic version of Jingle Bells on the piano.

Funny this thread would be made now as I just recently (last week), for the 45th time in the last decade, just started being super cereal with learning the play the piano.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I played drums from the time I was 8 until about 20 and moved out of my parents. I was really good. Played in some bands that did decent gigs.

One of my best friends is a professional drummer, plays in a super popular east coast cover band called the Amish Outlaws. I jam on his kit every once in a while but thats about it. He always tells me I should fill in for him but I would probably crap my pants.

You should absolutely do it. Especially if you haven't done it in a while. It's such a rush being onstage.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #10
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I feel you, I live in a 3rd floor apt, so I have a crappy Yamaha electronic kit, but I used to take lessons (when that was a thing) on a Catalina Club kit. How do you like those SilentStroke mesh heads?

Remind me very much of the Roland Electronic Drum heads...of course, the biggest challenge is that you have to replace your drum heads with the silent strokes, but I'm not in a band so switching on and off isn't an issue.

I think they have good response, they don't sound like true drums but I'm more into keeping time and learning fills rather than sound.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I played piano pretty well growing up, played sax in high school band. After I went off to college, I didn't have access to a piano, lost most of my skills and never really got the interest to go back even though I now have my old piano in my home.

Part of me wants to pick it up again, and part of me knows that the reason I never followed through on it is that while I had the ability to play, I have less than zero ability to create and that's all that really interests me. So I listen to other, actually talented people who can create music. I have very little interest in just playing other people's music.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Pre Pandemic, I was a member of a choral group in my area. I will return to the group in the fall. It's been a lift most Mondays to go and practice great works of art.