Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #5751
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- don't get me wrong, I love the Giants staff, I just don't think it is the huge advantage some think.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #5752
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- don't get me wrong, I love the Giants staff, I just don't think it is the huge advantage some think.

Yeah, this is what I think. I like the Giants staff overall better than the Rangers staff, but not as much as has been suggested by some. And I think the Rangers' offense is a LOT better than the Giants. Bu the Giants have a strong home field advantage and pitching that is very tough to beat at home.

So this seems to me to be a very intriguing matchup that is tough to call.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #5753
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Me too - I think the Giants pitching is better, but not light years better. The Rangers are clearly significantly better offensively, and I think the AL is pretty clearly a tougher league than the NL. My head says the Rangers are the favorites (albeit not by much), but my heart says the Giants will not lose.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 AM   #5754
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So if Cliff Lee stays in Texas, perhaps Yankees fans can pat themselves on the back...

Cliff Lee's Wife Offended By Yankees Fans

By Tim Dierkes [October 26 at 10:01am CST]
Two years ago, C.C. Sabathia's wife Amber was said to prefer the Giants. Yankees GM Brian Cashman was able to pitch the couple on New York and close the deal on a seven-year, $161MM contract. He may have a tougher task with Cliff Lee's wife Kristen, who did not have a good time at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs. From USA Today's Bob Nightengale:
Perhaps the Rangers' greatest sales pitch simply was having Kristen sit in the visiting family section at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs. She says there were ugly taunts. Obscenities. Cups of beer thrown. Even fans spitting from the section above. "The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen says. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."
It's impossible to say how Kristen Lee's experience will factor into the lefty's decision. As Nightengale notes, Sabathia and A.J. Burnett (and perhaps their wives) are ready to recruit Lee this offseason. Plus, it's unlikely Yankees fans would taunt their own star pitcher's wife.
The Yankees' main selling point, of course, will have to be money and contract years. The Rangers have all the intangibles in their favor, especially the team's World Series appearance and proximity to the Lee family's Little Rock, Arkansas home. We've seen players leave millions on the table before, though the Rangers plan to be aggressive in the bidding.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #5755
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Me too - I think the Giants pitching is better, but not light years better. The Rangers are clearly significantly better offensively, and I think the AL is pretty clearly a tougher league than the NL. My head says the Rangers are the favorites (albeit not by much), but my heart says the Giants will not lose.

You me dislike me suggesting this, Crap, and especially because actually, the '02 Angels are closer in their style and production to the Rangers than they are to the Giants, but in my mind, your Giants' approach/attitude/do what needs to be done to win concept is very similar to those '02 Angels. It's not certain they are the best team, but when it needs to get done, they get shit done (just like those Angels).

Much as you may dislike any reference of comparison between the two teams, I mean that as a compliment to the Giants.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #5756
JediKooter
Coordinator

The Giants have the better overall pitching staff. I'm sure Hamilton will get in a home run or two (I'd be surprised if he doesn't) regardless of who is on the mound for the Giants. However, if the Rangers have to rely on their bullpen to win the series, they won't win the series.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #5757
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So if Cliff Lee stays in Texas, perhaps Yankees fans can pat themselves on the back...

Cliff Lee's Wife Offended By Yankees Fans

By Tim Dierkes [October 26 at 10:01am CST]
Two years ago, C.C. Sabathia's wife Amber was said to prefer the Giants. Yankees GM Brian Cashman was able to pitch the couple on New York and close the deal on a seven-year, $161MM contract. He may have a tougher task with Cliff Lee's wife Kristen, who did not have a good time at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs. From USA Today's Bob Nightengale:
Perhaps the Rangers' greatest sales pitch simply was having Kristen sit in the visiting family section at Yankee Stadium during the playoffs. She says there were ugly taunts. Obscenities. Cups of beer thrown. Even fans spitting from the section above. "The fans did not do good things in my heart," Kristen says. "When people are staring at you, and saying horrible things, it's hard not to take it personal."
It's impossible to say how Kristen Lee's experience will factor into the lefty's decision. As Nightengale notes, Sabathia and A.J. Burnett (and perhaps their wives) are ready to recruit Lee this offseason. Plus, it's unlikely Yankees fans would taunt their own star pitcher's wife.
The Yankees' main selling point, of course, will have to be money and contract years. The Rangers have all the intangibles in their favor, especially the team's World Series appearance and proximity to the Lee family's Little Rock, Arkansas home. We've seen players leave millions on the table before, though the Rangers plan to be aggressive in the bidding.

Did they play the game in Philly?

i kid i kid...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #5758
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
However, if the Rangers have to rely on their bullpen to win the series, they won't win the series.

Rangers bullpen was roughly as good in the AL as Giants' was in the NL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #5759
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Did they play the game in Philly?

i kid i kid...

Joke about Philly all you want, I don't live there and take no ownership of the fans' actions. I just root for the team.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #5760
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Rangers bullpen was roughly as good in the AL as Giants' was in the NL.

Ah ok cool. They didn't look too good in game one of the ALCS, but, that can happen to any bullpen. How were the Rangers in one run games during the season? I do know the Giants did pretty good in close games, not sure how the Rangers did though.

Plus, if it the series goes to 7 games, that's 4 games without the DH. What bat will the Rangers lose when playing in SF? That kind of leans the advantage towards the Giants I would think.

I don't think either team has a superior advantage over the other, but, I think the Giants have the better pitching staff and deeper starting rotation than the Rangers and that usually is what wins series. I'm actually looking forward to watching this series more than what I have been for the previous series for the last couple of years. It's nice to see a first timer to the series, Hamilton is a beast, Lee is a beast and it's going to be fun to see how Lincecum and the rest handle that Rangers lineup.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #5761
Ksyrup

I tihnnk the problem with the Rangers bullpen in the playoffs was (a) sample size and (b) Ron Washington.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #5762
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ah yes, coaching is huge for sure with the bullpen. I'm sure Giants fans remember Dusty's move in game 6 in 2002.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #5763
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Ah ok cool. They didn't look too good in game one of the ALCS, but, that can happen to any bullpen. How were the Rangers in one run games during the season? I do know the Giants did pretty good in close games, not sure how the Rangers did though.

Regular Season Standings | MLB.com: Standings

In one-run games:
Rangers 30-23
Giants 28-24

In Extra innings:
Rangers 11-6
Giants 11-8
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #5764
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Regular Season Standings | MLB.com: Standings

In one-run games:
Rangers 30-23
Giants 28-24

In Extra innings:
Rangers 11-6
Giants 11-8

Thanks cartman! Pretty close. This should be a good World Series.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #5765
Bad-example
College Starter

It looks like rain Thursday for Game 2 and likely rain for Friday as well. I guess there's no chance MLB would make Game 2 a day game to beat the weather. Seems easier to move a game up six hours than to delay it for forty-eight.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #5766
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
It looks like rain Thursday for Game 2 and likely rain for Friday as well. I guess there's no chance MLB would make Game 2 a day game to beat the weather. Seems easier to move a game up six hours than to delay it for forty-eight.

It would seem to be the better idea however since TV runs baseball these days I doubt Fox is going to go for a non primetime slot.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #5767
molson
General Manager

How much later can these World Series get? I hope this gets addressed in the rumored structure revamps and doesn't actually get worse. Only 2 World Series have ended in November - 2001 had the 9/11 suspension, and then there was last year. This one is guaranteed to go into November unless there's a sweep. It was only five years ago that everything was wrapped up by 10/26 - yesterday's date. I'm just totally out of baseball mode when the temperature gets into the 30s.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #5768
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
How much later can these World Series get? I hope this gets addressed in the rumored structure revamps and doesn't actually get worse. Only 2 World Series have ended in November - 2001 had the 9/11 suspension, and then there was last year. This one is guaranteed to go into November unless there's a sweep. It was only five years ago that everything was wrapped up by 10/26 - yesterday's date. I'm just totally out of baseball mode when the temperature gets into the 30s.

Totally agree. I just can't get into watching baseball while eating turkey.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #5769
Ksyrup

Baseball made changes that start next year to make the WS end earlier. The season will now start on the last Wednesday or Thursday in March, and end the same way (instead of the usual Sunday start/end), to move everything up 5 or so days. They are trying it out now so they get some idea of what they like/don't like going into the next bargaining session.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #5770
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I swear it's not me...

Trade: Evening with my Wife for Two Game 1 WS Tickets
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #5771
lungs
Pro Rookie

Rumors starting to have Bobby Valentine to the Brewers, though I'll believe it when I see it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #5772
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sitting at my desk, accomplishing nothing, just hoping that its 4 already and I can go to the game. CMON WORLD SERIES!
Old 10-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #5773
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm sitting at my desk, accomplishing nothing, just hoping that its 4 already and I can go to the game. CMON WORLD SERIES!

Have fun!!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #5774
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hell, I don't need a World Series to sit at my desk and accomplish nothing.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #5775
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

What section are you sitting in?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #5776
Bad-example
College Starter

My brother lamented the crazy prices on WS tix. "Back in '89 I paid $100 for a WS ticket! What the hell happened?"

Welp, 21 years of inflation and the internets happened.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #5777
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
What section are you sitting in?

Bleachers baby - the only place to watch. I was in good seats for game 2 vs Atlanta, and those people are more "staid". That's fine, and its a much better view, but from an enthusiasm perspective, the bleachers are much better
Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #5778
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Awesome. There isn't a bad seat in that whole place...well...maybe the nosebleeds behind home plate, otherwise it's all great. Have fun man.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #5779
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm so freaking pumped for this game.

I don't recall being this excited back in 2002, but they may be due to the fact that I'd like to forget how it ended.

This team has given us Giants fans a wild ride and I hope I can finally see a baseball championship this year.

Giants in 6 with a 2-1 come from behind win tonight.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #5780
kingfc22
Head Coach

Vlad is going to have trouble catching any flyball not hit within 10 feet of his positioning. Hopefully that comes into play more this game.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #5781
kingfc22
Head Coach

Right back in it against the untouchable, unhittable, all everything Cliff Lee.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #5782
kingfc22
Head Coach

Muahahahaha. Didn't even last 5 innings!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #5783
kingfc22
Head Coach

No torture tonight!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #5784
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Anybody else really enjoy that simple, slowed down, version of God Bless America?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #5785
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Vlad is going to have trouble catching any flyball not hit within 10 feet of his positioning. Hopefully that comes into play more this game.

I hope he's out there again tomorrow too.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 10-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #5786
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yes. PLEASE keep Vlad in RF tomorrow. Brutal!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #5787
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm thinking that Vlad won't be returning to the field tomorrow night. Gotta be able to play the whole game to play in the national league.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #5788
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
No torture tonight!

Wait for it...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #5790
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Seriously? High fiving after that? With one out left and down by 6?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #5792
MrBug708
Head Coach

Meh
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #5793
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wait for it...

Heh. That was just a mild dose.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #5794
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Now, about that Game 1 pitchers' duel.... I better see some great pitching tomorrow night
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #5795
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That was an awesome ballpark experience.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #5796
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
That was an awesome ballpark experience.

Agreed. The fifth inning was insane.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #5797
Ksyrup

That was why Cliff Lee is going to be a boom or bust signing for someone this off-season. He relies totally on control to be dominant. When he's not, he's the 2007 Cliff Lee. He's like a poor man's Greg Maddux - he can't overcome poor control and is prone to these types of starts. It would be one thing if he had been doing this for 8 years, but he's really only been great for 3 years.

If the Phillies were choosing between 4-5 years of Lee and 4-5 years of Halladay, I see why they made the move they did (although I still don't see why they didn't hold out for a better return on Lee).
Old 10-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #5798
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
If the Phillies were choosing between 4-5 years of Lee and 4-5 years of Halladay, I see why they made the move they did (although I still don't see why they didn't hold out for a better return on Lee).

Yep. Always choose the power pitcher over the control pitcher in the long-term. It's a better bet.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #5799
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

zoom zoom
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #5800
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Awesome. There isn't a bad seat in that whole place...well...maybe the nosebleeds behind home plate, otherwise it's all great. Have fun man.

Strange, I really enjoy sitting behind the plate, even if it's view reserved third deck.

By the by, Tony Bennett singing to the crowd not once, but TWICE at age 84 was awesome. The whole game experience was awesome. Stupidly overpriced tickets, but totally worth it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote