Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

I'm the commissioner

So last season my son's Rec league baseball was wrought full of commissioner crap. I recognize that he had a thankless job but he really made it hard on himself:

1. At the draft, he didn't transparently reveal to all of the coaches what kids he'd 'heard' wouldn't be playing. He also coached a team so he put his team at an advantage from day 1.
2. We have a hard stop rule for time however with his own team, on the weekend, he made the call that it didn't apply on the weekend (only on school nights) and this non-stoppage allowed his team to come back and win [this was later reversed by the board].
3. He made it an arduous task to find out if any cages were empty or fields were empty for teams to get additional practices in should they want to
4. He made terrible rescheduling decisions on games that had conflicts
5. He lacked transparency and eventually won the REC league

I happen to know the treasurer of the board (who is a great guy) and since he was kept aware of all of these things throughout the season the board as a whole was dreading him being the Commissioner again but no one raised their hands to do it.

At the recent meeting they voted that since he was the only one to volunteer, to give him the role again but he wasn't there at the meeting... and neither was I. So when I found this out 2 days after the meeting I said, "I'll do it." and because he wasn't there and I wasn't there they revoted AND because I have a kid playing and he won't they've given it to me.

I don't want to be a head coach (never have been) and will assist in a 'point me in a direction and I'll do it' kind of manner thus I won't have a whole lot of team level pull (which I do not want).

My goal is to instill transparency and fun and build confidence in the parents that no one is going to get screwed. I want to reward those kids, parents, and teams that want to do extra practices, etc. I want to make that as easy and rewarded as possible. This is Rec baseball and I do believe that the goal should be to have fun and have every kid have an equal opportunity to get better. This is a different view of what I have for AB or travel ball where its dog eat dog, earn it kid, kind of stuff. This is Rec.

One of my hardest jobs, I've been told is going to be to recruit coaches so I come here to ask these questions:

1. What is the best way to recruit coaches? Do any of you have any lessons or successes I can adopt or build on?
2. Any tools I should look into using for technology and communications that will make my life easier and the parents? (I intend to use a facebook group)
3. Any tools I can use for the evaluation day? (i want it to be transparent and level for all coaches and kids and pull back the curtain a bit from the hidden gem kind of crap that happens sometimes.)
4. Any lessons or things I can do to help make this an enjoyable season for the kids and parents to help them get better from the first day to the last?

Thanks guy and while I'm excited I also don't want to let anyone down.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-14-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

1. You could contact the local HS varsity coach and ask him if he has anyone who would coach. In my town the coach has a lot of young guys who volunteer helping him. This would allow the players to see his system and really learn the fundamentals. This is a better option than parents a lot of the time.

2. Twitter, FB, Instagram. Maybe a phone system that allows you to send out messages to everyone. Rain outs and such.

3. What ever you use make it universal. All the coaches should learn it and be onboard with it. Evals are subjective. Check online there are programs out there that you can find.

4. Post season awards banquet. Award the league champs there. Make it a pot luck. maybe a preseason tourney with local celebs showing up. By local celbs, i mean former players that play on the varsity HS team. And local business leaders that played in the league. Maybe have drawings for baseball equipment. Get food trucks to show up. Have a parade tocelebrate the beginning of the season. Stuff like that.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

1. Check your local colleges for coaches. College students often make great rec league coaches.
2. Create an addresses list so you can automate emails as much as possible. Depending on parent/guardian comfort with technology, you might also want to look at Slack.
3. No idea there.
4. Honestly, as long as you make the guidelines clear (I'd literally write something out if there isn't anything available) and stick to them, things should work out imo - insofar as the things you can control.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote