Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #351
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Seems like Florida just wont support MLB teams. Its a destination for spring training. But there is so many other options for your entertainment dollar, that MLB just cant win out.

Don't think I agree.

Rays play in a shithole nobody wants to visit, but they've been consistently competitive for most of the last decade. If they could get approval to build a new stadium, I think things would look up for them (but I don't think St. Pete or Tampa want to be on the hook for the cost of building it).

The Marlins are a victim of their own legacy. When you keep burning it down, it doesn't matter how awesome your new stadium is, nobody's going to want to get attached to players they know stand a very real chance of being gone the next year.

Neither of those are "MLB can't win out" issues.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think the Tampa/Montreal split makes a ton of sense. Play all 9 Toronto games in Canada. Play 1 series vs the Orioles/Yankees/Red Sox in Montreal and 2 in Tampa. And then alternate the rest of the home games.

Looks like the theoretical plan is "early season in FL / rest of the season in Mon" rather than any sort of alternating deal.

The notion being that such an arrangement would allow a non-domed new stadium to be built in Tampa & cutting the costs there.

Honestly, I think the end game will be playing out the lease and exiting FL after 2027. This just started the bidding war early.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #353
JPhillips
General Manager

Just look at all the talent right now that should be playing for the Marlins.

Paddack
Castillo
Deitrich
Stanton
Yelich
Realmuto
Ozuna
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Looks like the theoretical plan is "early season in FL / rest of the season in Mon" rather than any sort of alternating deal.

The notion being that such an arrangement would allow a non-domed new stadium to be built in Tampa & cutting the costs there.

Honestly, I think the end game will be playing out the lease and exiting FL after 2027. This just started the bidding war early.

Yeah. I was just talking about which games should be where. Figure all the Canadian games in Canada and throw the Tampa Bay people a couple NY and BOS series which sell well in Florida. Especially if they’re in the early part of the season when transplants haven’t went home yet
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #355
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Am I just an old crab ass when it bothers me Cardinals fans give Pujols a standing ovation every time he comes to bat this series?

I get it his first AB, but jeez..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #356
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Am I just an old crab ass when it bothers me Cardinals fans give Pujols a standing ovation every time he comes to bat this series?

They should appreciate every ounce of poison he pumped into his veins for the Cards.

Still crazy that his career BA is over 300 even though he has been avg or worse in that for 8 years now. I suspect he'll be in the high 290s fairly soon. Maybe within 3 weeks or so
Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #357
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mets pretty much HAVE to use this opportunity (the bizarre blowup at a reporter) to offload Callaway, don't they?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I just an old crab ass when it bothers me Cardinals fans give Pujols a standing ovation every time he comes to bat this series? I get it his first AB, but jeez..

Nah, you're right.

But clueless twits buy tickets too so {shrug} I guess.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #359
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They should appreciate every ounce of poison he pumped into his veins for the Cards.

Still crazy that his career BA is over 300 even though he has been avg or worse in that for 8 years now. I suspect he'll be in the high 290s fairly soon. Maybe within 3 weeks or so

Of course he's appreciated.. probably the best player I've witnessed in person, but I would cheer him his first AB and definitely wouldn't give him a curtain call on a HR and every at bat.

I wouldn't cheer Brett Hull coming back against the Blues.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 PM   #360
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nah, you're right.

But clueless twits buy tickets too so {shrug} I guess.

Just seems a bit over the top to my crabby butt.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Just seems a bit over the top to my crabby butt.

That's because it is.

It's not like he's a guy who was traded away & bid the club a tearful goodbye.
Nor is it like the club didn't make him a solid offer before he left.

He opted for the $ over the club. Fine ... but he's not some sort of martyr to be tearfully welcoming "home".
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 AM   #362
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

I don't think anyone enjoyed it. Angel fans were going nuts because Pujols legged out a single in one of the games. Angels fans were frustrated because he hadn't done that in years, but he goes back to Busch and suddenly does it for the fans there...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #363
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

They're probably just trying a little bit too hard to continue to be The Best Fans in Baseball.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #364
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's because it is.

It's not like he's a guy who was traded away & bid the club a tearful goodbye.
Nor is it like the club didn't make him a solid offer before he left.

He opted for the $ over the club. Fine ... but he's not some sort of martyr to be tearfully welcoming "home".

Thanks.. I feel better now. Thought I was the only one.. although my dad felt the same as I did.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:00 AM   #365
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I don't think anyone enjoyed it. Angel fans were going nuts because Pujols legged out a single in one of the games. Angels fans were frustrated because he hadn't done that in years, but he goes back to Busch and suddenly does it for the fans there...

I was wondering how Angles fans felt about the whole thing.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #366
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
They're probably just trying a little bit too hard to continue to be The Best Fans in Baseball.

I hate that saying.. lol... most obnoxious fans maybe.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #367
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mets pretty much HAVE to use this opportunity (the bizarre blowup at a reporter) to offload Callaway, don't they?

You forget that we have the worst ownership in baseball.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #368
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

At this point it seems like it'd probably be the best thing for the guy.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #369
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Bob Nutting says hi from his luxury resort
Old 06-24-2019, 02:33 PM   #370
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Bob Nutting says hi from his luxury resort

If Nutting fires Huntington to hire Scott Boras he can be in the discussion. Until then, the Wilpons are in their own tier of bad.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #371
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was wondering how Angles fans felt about the whole thing.

Well, this Angels fan didn't notice Pujols running or not running (to be fair, I was working for most of all three games). But I personally don't care if he legs it out or not, or puts any effort into it. I'm just waiting for his contract to end and hoping he gets more days off (and then occasionally hit a HR to help the team).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #372
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The standing ovation for Piscotty was pretty cool last night in St. Louis. I know Cardinals fans can be a little insufferable (and this next line is probably evidence of that ) - But, it takes a special group of fans to give a standing ovation to a player who left for more money and one for a guy who requested a trade. Granted, the trade request was to be close to his sick mom (which the Cards granted). Still, I can't see many other fanbases showing appreciation like that to both guys.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #373
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The standing ovation for Piscotty was pretty cool last night in St. Louis. I know Cardinals fans can be a little insufferable (and this next line is probably evidence of that ) - But, it takes a special group of fans to give a standing ovation to a player who left for more money and one for a guy who requested a trade. Granted, the trade request was to be close to his sick mom (which the Cards granted). Still, I can't see many other fanbases showing appreciation like that to both guys.

I approve of the Piscotty ovation! The 100 Pujols ovations.. not so much.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #374
lungs
Pro Rookie

I was going to make a snide comment about Cardinal fans but then remembered that the fanbase of my team gave Ryan Braun and Josh Hader ovations after their..... problems.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #375
Butter
Coordinator

My fan base still idolizes Pete Rose, so nobody's perfect.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #376
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I was going to make a snide comment about Cardinal fans but then remembered that the fanbase of my team gave Ryan Braun and Josh Hader ovations after their..... problems.

Ryan Braun is a perambulatory dumpster fire. Fuck him.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't think I can be a Mets fan anymore.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #379
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Love it!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #380
Butter
Coordinator

Reading the ongoing story about the beat writer saying "See you tomorrow" to the manager, and him getting all bent out of shape, then the PLAYERS going after the writer, THEN the terrible apologies has been entertainment enough.

Maybe the manager should worry about his bullpen management instead of what the media is saying.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #381
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Reading the ongoing story about the beat writer saying "See you tomorrow" to the manager, and him getting all bent out of shape, then the PLAYERS going after the writer, THEN the terrible apologies has been entertainment enough.

Maybe the manager should worry about his bullpen management instead of what the media is saying.

Is the manager to blame for the bullpen management? Honest question. IF the GM has significant input as to when pitchers should be in the game or not, I don't know if the manager actually has the control of bullpen decisions that they used. I don't know.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #382
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Is the manager to blame for the bullpen management? Honest question. IF the GM has significant input as to when pitchers should be in the game or not, I don't know if the manager actually has the control of bullpen decisions that they used. I don't know.

No.

Honestly at this point I feel bad for Mickey. It is obvious BVW is calling the shots. Mickey is just the fall guy and deserves better. The hiring of BVW was a joke in the first place.

I am done supporting this ownership group. I won't watch any more game, go to games, or buy merchandise.

I have been a fan since I was 11 years old and I am done. I'll be rooting for the Indians the rest of the way.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:36 AM   #383
JPhillips
General Manager

The Mets are like the Bengals. From game to game or year to year you can find plenty of fault with individual players and coaches, but the consistent problem that holds back the team is ownership. Just like the Bengals, the Mets real problem is ownership.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #384
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

Votto is closing in on an .800 OPS after going 4-4 tonight. He's not a top player anymore, but he's not finished either.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #385
tarcone
Coordinator

Re: Pujols

I read what all of you guys said. And agree with all of it. But here is my perspective. Pujols was the best player the fans have seen since Musial. Had he stayed in St.Louis, there would be a statue outside of the stadium. He was as loved a player as you will ever get. More than Ozzie, because he was home grown. And his leaving was the best thing for the franchise unless he was going to give them a big home town discount. Cardinal ownership is money conscious. We lose wainwright and Molina if we sign Pujols.

I dont think I would give a standing ovation every at but get why the fans did. He is Babe Ruth or Ted Wiliiams or Stan Musial. The difference is he left in a business move.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #386
tarcone
Coordinator

May have been discussed before, but who cares.

Yanks/Red Sox have a 2 hour 3 inning start to their game, in London.

Way to represent the game. Ugh.

How about MLB goes to 3 balls and 2 strikes.

Does this make the pitchers healthier in the long run?
Do starters go longer in games making the pens less valuable then they are, which is too much?
How much faster would the games be?

a 5 hour game in London is going to bore the snot out of those people. Shoot, it would me.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #387
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
May have been discussed before, but who cares.

Yanks/Red Sox have a 2 hour 3 inning start to their game, in London.

Way to represent the game. Ugh.

How about MLB goes to 3 balls and 2 strikes.

Does this make the pitchers healthier in the long run?
Do starters go longer in games making the pens less valuable then they are, which is too much?
How much faster would the games be?

Probably not that much

Incredibly, I couldn't seem to find a result by count for the current season at the cumulative level. Failing that, I'll share this instead.

There have 284 pitchers start an MLB game this season

Here's a look at the median starters by WHIP (#141 Jose Quintana and #143 Homer Bailey ... cause #142 has only made 7 starts this year compared to their 15 and 17 each)

Quintana:
2-2 count or less: 300 AB
more than 2-2 count: 46 AB

Bailey:
2-2 count or less: 262 AB
more than 2-2 count: 45 AB

That's 562 of 2-2 or less, 91 of more than 2-2
That's 86% of AB already settled by the standard you mentioned

And tonight's example it would have probably made even less difference since the thing extending the innings was more the 19 hits allowed in the first three innings, not the combined 10 walks+strikeouts.

Wanna shorten games? Get people out.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #388
JPhillips
General Manager

When you score 30 runs, it's going to take a while.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #389
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Probably not that much

Incredibly, I couldn't seem to find a result by count for the current season at the cumulative level. Failing that, I'll share this instead.

There have 284 pitchers start an MLB game this season

Here's a look at the median starters by WHIP (#141 Jose Quintana and #143 Homer Bailey ... cause #142 has only made 7 starts this year compared to their 15 and 17 each)

Quintana:
2-2 count or less: 300 AB
more than 2-2 count: 46 AB

Bailey:
2-2 count or less: 262 AB
more than 2-2 count: 45 AB

That's 562 of 2-2 or less, 91 of more than 2-2
That's 86% of AB already settled by the standard you mentioned

And tonight's example it would have probably made even less difference since the thing extending the innings was more the 19 hits allowed in the first three innings, not the combined 10 walks+strikeouts.

Wanna shorten games? Get people out.

Good stuff and I agree about getting people out BUT wouldnt a pitcher pitch differently if they only had to get 2 strikes? I think there would be an adjustment that pitchers would be more aggressive.

Starting 0-1 or 1-0 or 1-1 would change your perspective as a pitcher.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #390
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
When you score 30 runs, it's going to take a while.

I played in slo-pitch softball games that lasted an hour and had a 30 run score.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 PM   #391
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think there would be an adjustment that pitchers would be more aggressive.

We already have an abundance of pitchers that can't get people out, and you want them to be more aggressive?

I strongly suspect that what you suggest would lead to 17-13 games becoming more commonplace ... and that, in turn, lengthens games rather than shorten them.

But here, lemme throw you a bone. How about allowing hitters something like two foul balls with two strikes and then the next one counts as a strike? Bet that cuts more pitches from the game than your original suggestion.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #392
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
We already have an abundance of pitchers that can't get people out, and you want them to be more aggressive?

I strongly suspect that what you suggest would lead to 17-13 games becoming more commonplace ... and that, in turn, lengthens games rather than shorten them.

But here, lemme throw you a bone. How about allowing hitters something like two foul balls with two strikes and then the next one counts as a strike? Bet that cuts more pitches from the game than your original suggestion.

Good idea.

I prefer a 1-0 game to a 17-13 game.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #393
PilotMan
Head Coach

The ending of that Dodgers/D-Backs game last night. Wow. I have never, ever seen that before.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #394
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The ending of that Dodgers/D-Backs game last night. Wow. I have never, ever seen that before.

Just a gut punch. Losing a game in which you were up one with 2 out in the bottom of the ninth and the bases empty is bad enough, but to do it on five straight walks is absurd.

In other news, it's hilarious to me that the Giants are only 6.5 games out of the 2nd wildcard spot. They've scored 10+ in three straight games, and my mom is amped - we've got a friendly wager going on the team. She thinks they're going to make the playoffs, while I think they really are crappy (we're both huge fans, I'm just a little more realistic about things). I couldn't in good conscience allow her to make a playoff bet, so I settled for .500 - if the Giants get to 81 wins, I make my mom dinner for a week straight. If they don't, she makes me dinner for a week straight.

It's a fun little side hustle on the regular season, and it would be awesome if the Giants actually made a run at .500.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 07-03-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #395
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Dodgers broke the D-Backs again last night. Arizona goes up when Kenley gives it up in the 9th and Hammond comes on again. A lead off double and a single down the line tie it up, and LA loads the bases again. Hammond is pulled after the BS, and AZ gets out of the jam with an inning ending double play. Bellinger ends it in the 10th with his 2nd of the game. His first career walk off HR. The Dodgers win 4-3 after being down in the 9th for the second night in a row. Is their 5th straight home walk off win. Bellinger breaks the Dodger record for HR's before the break, held by Gill Hodges.

This season has a special feel about it.

Like Steam?

Old 07-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #396
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bellinger is just amazing to watch right now.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #397
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Mets don't deserve Pete Alonso
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #398
PilotMan
Head Coach

That was a seriously anti-climatic finish after the 2nd round hammer fest between Guerrero Jr and Peterson. Guerrero had to be gassed.

Like Steam?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #399
Logan
Head Coach

Behind The Athletic paywall but a good read on the first use of a RobotUmp in the Atlantic League All Star game. Seems like it was a pretty clear success with just a couple minor issues, impressive for a first run.

‘You can’t get mad at TrackMan’: A day under the watchful eye of the RoboUmp – The Athletic
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #400
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Behind The Athletic paywall but a good read on the first use of a RobotUmp in the Atlantic League All Star game. Seems like it was a pretty clear success with just a couple minor issues, impressive for a first run.

Alas, hard to take the league too seriously -- or give any credence to anything they do -- when the agree to ideas like "stealing first". (which kicks in after the all-star break apparently).