Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

Help in website design (shopping cart setup)

My wife is setting up her website for her native american crafts (beading, clothing), and she's having some issues with a shopping cart. Right now she's hosting the site via Vistaprint, but we're looking at other sites.

Do any of you run sites that have shopping cart-ish aspects. If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Her site (in progress) is happyeyescrafts.com

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
My wife is setting up her website for her native american crafts (beading, clothing), and she's having some issues with a shopping cart. Right now she's hosting the site via Vistaprint, but we're looking at other sites.

Do any of you run sites that have shopping cart-ish aspects. If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Her site (in progress) is happyeyescrafts.com

Native American crafts? cool *runs to check it out*

I have native blood and used to be more in touch with that side of my ancestry (in college) than I am now. That's some pretty awesome stuff - does your wife actually make it all?? I see some stuff that might make great gifts (or things for myself frankly).

No help on the shopping cart though - but I know there's people here that can be a huge help with that.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-06-2012 at 07:14 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'd ping Macro or Mustang as I think both do online sales.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Native American crafts? cool *runs to check it out*

I have native blood and used to be more in touch with that side of my ancestry (in college) than I am now. That's some pretty awesome stuff - does your wife actually make it all?? I see some stuff that might make great gifts (or things for myself frankly).

No help on the shopping cart though - but I know there's people here that can be a huge help with that.

Yes, she makes it all. She got the patterns from some other places, but makes the stuff herself.

Just let me know if you want clothing in advance ... she tans the leather herself using a technique called "brain tanning" much like the native americans did. I just don't like to watch it.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Yes, she makes it all. She got the patterns from some other places, but makes the stuff herself.

Just let me know if you want clothing in advance ... she tans the leather herself using a technique called "brain tanning" much like the native americans did. I just don't like to watch it.

Cool!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I have heard good things about Stripe.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

BigCommerce is nice if you're willing to spend some time to learn their system. Heard great things about Shopify too which is a little easier to run.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
WVUFAN
College Starter

A little late, but I appreciate all the help. She FINALLY got the site working, and she's populating the site now.

Now .... trying to figure out how to transfer a domain name. My head hurts. Something about "unlocking" the domain-something and a key of some sort.

In any case, here's the site -- please check it out and let us know what you think so far (it's not fully populated): Happy Eyes Crafts & Clothing

Coming on the site also lets me check out this Google Analytics I signed up for.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 11-24-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

You shouldn't be transferring a domain name to anyone. They probably want you to do it so they can skim a few bucks off the top. If you own it, you'll just be pointing the domain toward their DNS. If you have something like GoDaddy, you have to go to the Domain Management System (or whatever they call it) and choose to unlock it. Then there should be an option to "Change Nameservers" and you just enter in their nameservers.

Who did you purchase the domain name through?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #10
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You shouldn't be transferring a domain name to anyone. They probably want you to do it so they can skim a few bucks off the top. If you own it, you'll just be pointing the domain toward their DNS. If you have something like GoDaddy, you have to go to the Domain Management System (or whatever they call it) and choose to unlock it. Then there should be an option to "Change Nameservers" and you just enter in their nameservers.

Who did you purchase the domain name through?

She bought the initial site and domain from Vistaprint. According to them, we have to pay a "domain transfer fee" of 19.99 to "unlock the domain", then I can transfer it to Big Commerce. Big Commerce isn't charging to switch.

I called Vistaprint to ask why there's a charge, and they said that because we got the domain there, the transfer fee is to transfer the rights to us. I though they were already in my wife's name, but I guess I was wrong.

She got the website because it was lower when she bought business cards, but they want to charge an outrageous amount for shopping cart functionality. I came on here, and you suggested Big Commerce and Shopify, and she liked Big Commerce better, so we're going with them. Now we want our original domain back, and that's when they told us of the fee to transfer.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 11-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #11
cody8200
High School Varsity

Just saw this thread. BigCommerce is good stuff. Your wife's clothing looks amazing! One thing that is weird and probably just a setting is that the clothing is shown weighed in grams instead of pounds and oz.
Brain Tan Elk Plain Dress - Happy Eyes Crafts & Clothing

Anyway, as for domain transfer fees, you occasionally see these in the 1-5 dollar range but $20 is outrageous.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote