Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

High Blood Pressure

A few months ago, I had a couple doctor's appointments where my blood pressure started creeping up. I never had high readings before, nor is it a family trait. The numbers were in the 135/90 range. I've gained more than a few pounds in the past decade. My cholesterol is not high, but right on the far end of the normal range. As I approach my 50th Birthday, I took these as yet two more warning signs to get my health back on track.

My Doctor put me on 1/2 the lowest dosage of a mild blood pressure medicine for 30 days (he wasn't even sure he should put me on anything, but figured this would be an easy way to get it back down - perhaps even just a placebo effect). I bought a home blood pressure gauge, and the numbers immediately returned to a normal level (right around 120/80). This model does three readings a minute apart and then displays the average. I have lost over 20 pounds (now at 208 lbs and am 5'8" - so still another 20 or so to go), and also do 30+ minutes of exercise 3-4 times/week. I finished the 30 day medicine supply a couple of weeks ago.

Ever since I first heard about my BP numbers rising, I know I suffer from white coat syndrome where just thinking of getting my pressure checked increases my anxiety. So the 1st of the three readings is always the highest. Now that I am off the medicine, my numbers are slowly (but surely?) rising. On Sunday, the average was around 127/84. Today the average was 135/87. The first reading again was highest - 150/89, and the other two were much lower. My Doctor said I should check when I get home from work (and have thus had stress on my body during the day). Seeing that number tonight made me even more anxious, but I'm ok for now.

My next appointment with him is first week of January, but I could obviously call him earlier if warranted.

Here are a few questions I have about high blood pressure:

1. My Doctor said he wasn't nearly as concerned about my BP when I wake up (usually around 117/77'ish). I know what he is saying, but isn't it good that my BP is not high "all of the time"?

2. Should I focus more on the 2nd/3rd readings which are always lower than the first, and are thus much closer to the "normal" range?

3. Should I continue to monitor over the month of December and keep my scheduled January appointment, or should I call him sooner? I do admit that as I've gotten older, I tend to have a bit more anxiety about my health.

4. I'm frustrated because I have really dropped 10% body weight in 2 months time, I absolutely watch what I eat (I started on my own, but then joined Weight Watchers so I would have a weekly check-in). My wife says I am doing all good healthy things, but am just upset the numbers are heading back up. How do I cope with that vicious cycle so I don't worry - which will only feed into raising my BP?

I'm gonna check it again in a few. (Edit: 132/84 with all three readings within four points of each other)

What anecdotal experience do any of you have?

Last edited by tyketime : 11-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I wouldn't worry too much about it right now. At least not enough to change the appointment to a sooner time. It is not until the blood pressure is approaching 160+ systolic or 100+ diastole that I would be concerned, but even then, if it isn't consistently that high I wouldn't fret over a single reading either.

What is your diet like?

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-27-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What is your diet like?

I follow the Weight Watchers Points Plus system (I currently get 30/day + 49 extra for the week + bonus points for exercise), so here is a typical day:

Breakfast: Cereal or Egg Beaters/Canadian Bacon (5-6 pts)

Snack: Greek Yogurt (2 pts)

Lunch: Store-baked turkey sandwich on light roll with cheese// Turkey Burger on roll with cheese. Baked Chips/Goldfish (8-10 pts)

Snack: Apple (0 pts)

Dinner: Chicken Breast, carrots, salsa, salad, fat free dressing (8-10 pts)

Dessert: The only weight watchers product I buy are the Cookie Dough/Brownie desserts (3 pts)

I do take premium fish oil supplement (1280 total/650 EPA/450 DHA) and a multivitamin.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

FWIW, I think you could benefit from watching Forks Over Knives. It looks like you need more veggies and less processed food and meat in your diet.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-28-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
FWIW, I think you could benefit from watching Forks Over Knives. It looks like you need more veggies and less processed food and meat in your diet.

I will take a look, thanks. Many veggies are "free" (meaning 0 pts), so I don't have to track them as tightly as other food.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Had a real long post typed out till my computer randomly restarted and erased it.

Basically - as long as the portions are appropriate (which doing Weight Watchers I'm sure tyketime is aware of and good at), the only things I could really see cutting out as "excess" processed food/meat are the Canadian Bacon at breakfast and the Weight Watchers desserts (they're tasty, but I too cut them out at some point in my dieting). As long as the lunchtime meat is properly portioned, I don't see that as a massive issue.

That being said - more fruits and veggies are always good. Maybe try to work some into your lunch? I usually make myself eat like a ton of carrots at lunch in order to fill myself up along with my sandwich.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
miked
College Starter

With high blood pressure, you'll probably want to avoid taking in too much salt. I find that most of the meat products (like bacon, ham, etc) have a lot of salt, so you can try for the low sodium version. Same with the store bought Turkey sandwich.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
With high blood pressure, you'll probably want to avoid taking in too much salt. I find that most of the meat products (like bacon, ham, etc) have a lot of salt, so you can try for the low sodium version. Same with the store bought Turkey sandwich.

Oh yeah - if it's a store bought turkey sandwich then that's a good point. I read store-baked and wasn't sure if that was a typo or what.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
JPhillips
General Manager

Does HBP run in your family? It does in mine and I've been struggling even with dietary changes. If it's genetic medication may be necessary under most conditions.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Getting enough veggies is tough, so I have two green drinks a day, plus veggies at lunch and dinner.

It sounds nasty but is quite good

Recipe
3 cups all-natural cranberry juice
3-4 med to large red chard leaves
Big handful of fresh spinach
1 broccoli head or 5/6 florets
Handful of fresh blueberries (mainly to change the color from green to bluish, but also adds flavor)

You need a high quality blender (like the ninja) and just let it go for a couple of minutes on smoothie setting.

The consistency doesn't look appealing, but it does taste good and gives you 4 servings of veggies over 2 servings. Squeeze in a veggie for lunch and dinner and you have the recommended 6 for the day.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-28-2012 at 09:21 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I should get back to juicing more again.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Oh yeah - if it's a store bought turkey sandwich then that's a good point. I read store-baked and wasn't sure if that was a typo or what.

Definitely store-baked (supermarket). Very rarely will I eat lunch meats anymore. And if I do, its always low-sodium variety.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Does HBP run in your family? It does in mine and I've been struggling even with dietary changes. If it's genetic medication may be necessary under most conditions.

No it does not.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
No it does not.

While it just may be one of those things that is happening as you age even without family history or obesity (What is your height and weight at if you don't mind sharing?), there is a chance that the high blood pressure is being caused by another issue that your doctor would have to diagnose. It could be a symptom of another issue as opposed to the only issue.

But if your physician feels that January is fine and isn't concerned combined with the blood pressure readings only being slightly elevated I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are really concerned you could always call and discuss with them your anxiety and they could either suggest you coming in early or put your mind at ease and tell you not to worry.

But like JP said, it might just be something occuring with age and eventually medication may be necessary.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 11-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Grover
Pro Starter

The biggest thing for me getting my blood pressure back in check (yes, high blood pressure at 27, it runs in the family) was cutting back on sodium big time. That's helped me the most.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote