Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Laptop question

Im looking at this brand new Toshiba Satellite E305-S1995 with 6gb ram, hybrid HD for 475 bucks. Never had a laptop since i'm mainly a gamer but would like something portable for travel with light gaming.

But mainly used to stick my photos when I go out to shoot or music.

When i'd game I mostly would use it for stuff like TCY, FM and some older strategy games and maybe a session or two of WOW.

Any thoughts? Too much? Integrated graphics suck? I need psychological help for even considering this?

Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
chinaski
College Prospect

Seems like a good deal. Integrated graphic chips generally do suck, but I think this one should be decent for WoW. Should be fine for any 2d game, like the ones you mention. Has a memory card slot, hdmi and USB 2/3.0. Sounds just right for what you want to do with it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Cool...Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The track pad we had on a Toshiba was garbage. Hopefully this is better by now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

I hate trackpads...I tried using the wife's and I failed. I will use a mouse.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Have you looked at HP or other brands at that price range?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

If possible I would get a discrete graphics card
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Well, I'm picking this up today. I did look at some other brands and the pure gaming laptops were ridiculously overpriced. I did see a few in roughly the same price range with discrete graphics cards but the tradeoff was slower HD speed, 5400 vs 7200 and the one i'm getting has a hybrid drive so its going to be even faster opening up stuff once it learns where i'm going. And the discrete cards were only a little better than the Intel crap in this one...Didnt think its worth it. The 5 lb weight will help when I fly. I wont feel like i'm carrying my desktop with me and I can still do basic 2d gaming on it.Worse comes to worse and I don't like it I can give it to the brat since she pretty much has the same gaming tastes and she needs one for school. Right now she has mom's rickety old laptop from last decade.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I actually prefer to use my internal graphics card when I'm playing FM (even the 3d match engine) as it just seems to run "smoother" so for all your gaming needs under that it ought to be fine. Never played WOW, so dunno about that.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-03-2012 at 08:51 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't know much about hybrid HD's, so let us know how you like it.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I don't know much about hybrid HD's, so let us know how you like it.

I just got a new laptop with a 750 GB hybrid HD. So far, it's been great. Much faster than my old standard HD. I've never had a solid state, so it's hard to compare, but the computer boots up super fast.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just got a new laptop with a 750 GB hybrid HD. So far, it's been great. Much faster than my old standard HD. I've never had a solid state, so it's hard to compare, but the computer boots up super fast.

Thanks.. I have an SSD drive, but if the hybrids are cheaper, I would think about them for relatives looking for a pc.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Thanks.. I have an SSD drive, but if the hybrids are cheaper, I would think about them for relatives looking for a pc.

They are much cheaper. I've read good things about them, which is why I decided to go with it. They aren't quite as fast as a SSD, but a big improvement over traditional drives. They get better the more you use them, apparently, as the programs that are most often used/loaded are moved to the SSD portion of the drive for quicker access.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

SSD have changed my computing forever. Everything is just better.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They are much cheaper. I've read good things about them, which is why I decided to go with it. They aren't quite as fast as a SSD, but a big improvement over traditional drives. They get better the more you use them, apparently, as the programs that are most often used/loaded are moved to the SSD portion of the drive for quicker access.

I've read the initial OS load and programs load are typical of a normal HD, but once you start using the drive, things get much faster.