Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #251
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I am explicitly buying one without a router builtin, I already had to buy a separate router to overcome issues with the router in the Ubee (like getting a consistent Open NAT with my 360). Motorola SB6141 if I can find one.

That's probably your best bet since you already bought a router.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #252
DanGarion
Coordinator

Just an FYI, I happened to get an email today on training material regarding a $5 discount to customers on the Standard (10 Mbps download) and lower tiers if they agree to a 5 GB bandwidth allotment and $1 per every GB over maxing out a $25. From my understanding it's only being sold in cases that customers say the internet is too expensive or they are looking to lower their bill. Date showing this going live is 12/12/12 (not sure if this is all areas or not).

Further research tells me this is the same structure we have been testing in Texas and we are rolling it out here in the West.

Last edited by DanGarion : 11-12-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #253
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I found a prime eligible shipping version of my modem for 15 dollars on amazon. I will probably buy it soon.

I see they are now tracking your usage online. We look to be using about 250gb a month, and that doesn't include any gaming at the moment.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #254
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
- Don't talk to me about the need to upgrade and maintain the cablemodems when you've only swapped mine out twice in the decade-plus I've had it. Both times were for additional services you wanted to sell me (VOIP support, then RR Extreme / DOCSIS 3.0). And the one you gave me for DOCSIS 3.0 is a hunk-o-junk Ubee. I'll pay the $3.95 if you are going to upgrade me to newer models with better throughput / compatibility / reliability periodically, or if you hadn't cheaped out on me with this DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade, but I'm not paying $3.95/month to be stuck with this Ubee and it's horrible router (that made me go buy my own and figure out how to turn off its router) for the next 5 years barring something going wrong with it.
I had a SB6580 modem for my D3 service with TWC and it was horrible -- weak signal, regular drops, etc. I finally put a Linksys N router behind it and my performance improved dramatically. Decent modem, horrible router.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #255
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I had a SB6580 modem for my D3 service with TWC and it was horrible -- weak signal, regular drops, etc. I finally put a Linksys N router behind it and my performance improved dramatically. Decent modem, horrible router.

Yes, putting both in one device is usually a bad idea. Note though that the first thing you do with these is turn off "IP Flood Prevention", even the Amazon reviews for the 6580 talk about this. It fixes lots of issues. With my Ubee, browsing was generally okay, it just kept putting my 360 behind a strict NAT rather than an open one. Going to a Linksys E3200 for my router made things MUCH better.

That's why I'm getting the 6141 - it's a modem only, no router part. Should be here tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #256
britrock88
Pro Starter

Minor threadjack, but I'm presently looking into MidContinent's internet (30/5, specifically), and they offer $109 to buy a wireless modem and $5/mo to rent. If I knew enough to buy my own, I'd avoid giving them extra money. What's a good set-up for that kind of bandwidth?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #257
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If you read the previous few posts, you'd know that first, don't buy a wireless modem. Buy a modem without a router included, and buy the router separately to provide wireless / hook up other devices.

Second, it depends on what they support. When you buy your own modem, you have to call them and get them to "provision" it, which means set it up so it works on their network. If you don't buy a supported one, they won't provision it and you'll be stuck.

From a quick perusal of their web page, I don't see any instructions for buying your own. TWC has a list of devices you can buy (twc.com/approveddevices), you need to find something similar for MidContinent.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #258
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Minor threadjack, but I'm presently looking into MidContinent's internet (30/5, specifically), and they offer $109 to buy a wireless modem and $5/mo to rent. If I knew enough to buy my own, I'd avoid giving them extra money. What's a good set-up for that kind of bandwidth?

MidcoNet Xstream Wideband Equipment
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #259
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ah, that was the page I couldn't find.

Buy this:

Amazon.com: Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem: Computers & Accessories

Then follow the instructions.

FWIW, the difference between the 6120/6121 and the 6141 is apparenlty future expansion. Something about the 612x can only combine 4 channels, while the 6141 can combine 8, which makes it easier for the cablecos to continue to provide speed upgrades. Or so I read...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #260
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, putting both in one device is usually a bad idea. Note though that the first thing you do with these is turn off "IP Flood Prevention", even the Amazon reviews for the 6580 talk about this. It fixes lots of issues. With my Ubee, browsing was generally okay, it just kept putting my 360 behind a strict NAT rather than an open one. Going to a Linksys E3200 for my router made things MUCH better.

That's why I'm getting the 6141 - it's a modem only, no router part. Should be here tomorrow.

The most recent firmware that we send down to the modems should get turn that off by default or remove it altogether. But yes do that, for whatever reason it breaks things after awhile.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #261
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

FWIW, the difference between the 6120/6121 and the 6141 is apparenlty future expansion. Something about the 612x can only combine 4 channels, while the 6141 can combine 8, which makes it easier for the cablecos to continue to provide speed upgrades. Or so I read...

That would be correct.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #262
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

Very true. I spent countless hours tinkering with the 6580 to get optimal performance and allowing me to put a wireless router behind it. The techs who installed TWC's Signature Home for me told me the 6580 would be better than my Linksys router. Part of me wonders if they told me that just so they wouldn't have to install the router, since you had to adjust a lot of settings to make it work because it was a PITA.

Here's all you need to know about the 6580 router vs. my Linksys router. With the 6580, I would get a half dozen random drops a day where the Internet would cut out for about 10 seconds. No drops with the Linksys. The amazing difference was range. With the 6580, I couldn't maintain a consistent signal in my drive way or back yard. With the Linksys, I can get in my car and drive an entire block away and still maintain my signal.

AT&T's AWG router is much better than it was a few years ago but it's still a pain. In 2009, you could not put a second router behind it. Now you can, but the configuration is a nightmare.

I do miss my Extreme service (30 mbps). AT&T only offers 18 in my area, and I'm usually lucky to get 12-15. I could reliably get 20-25 with TWC anytime of the day and usually faster than 30 at off times.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #263
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you read the previous few posts, you'd know that first, don't buy a wireless modem. Buy a modem without a router included, and buy the router separately to provide wireless / hook up other devices.

Heh. Clearly I hadn't read your post (immediately before mine, no less) for comprehension. And thanks for the recommendation.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 AM   #264
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, after 4 phone calls and 2 hours, including 1 10 minute call after I returned my old modems because that cleared something on my account and I needed the modem reactivated, I have my SB6141 up-and-running. No real difference of course, although I saw a brief 3.9MB/sec download from Steam when my previous peak was around 3.7.

But the process was far more painful than it should have been. Each tech seemed to miss a step, and I ended up in Tier 3 support for about 30 minutes to finally get it working.

The one bright spot was that the phone call after returning the modems was all automated, it sent the signal to reset the modem and everything worked fine after that, so I didn't have to spend 30 minutes on hold again.

Last edited by gstelmack : 11-16-2012 at 08:24 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #265
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Just got my SB6141 running with Time Warner after a 5-10 minute call. Connected the new modem, gave them the MAC number and I was up and running without a hitch. Extremely painless
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote