Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #851
Danny
Head Coach

Sweet, sirfozzie won a free copy of dread ball!

I just kickstarted it for 500 dollars. A striker copy plus 4 extra teams, 4 keepers and 4 coaches for me plus 2 copies to resell and hopefully get my stuff for free.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #852
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wait, what???

Edit: Woo! I won one of the Board Game Geek contests, and got a free copy of DreadBall

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-19-2012 at 01:09 AM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #853
tarcone
Coordinator

Congrats. I never win anything. *pout*

I own battle ball. I wonder what the distinctions will be.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #854
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

tarcone: They issued a section with most of the rules:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c3...m_medium=email

You have five actions per turn (called a Rush in DreadBall), and each player can take a maximum of two full actions. There are three player types: Strikers (the pretty boy scorers), Guards (Can't score or pick up the ball), but get bonuses to hit things and generally cause mayhem, and Jacks (Short for Jack of All Trades)

Basically, most tests are: Roll 3 dice (add or subtract dice based on player speciality, people in the way, etcetera).. If a die is equal to or higher then the stat being checked. it's a success, a six is a success and roll again. You will normally need just a single success to succeed in an action, but in some cases, if you roll double the amount of successes needed, you get a bonus (For smashes, you knock the opponent down instead of pushing him back, or a limited Free Action with the same player.)

Example:

Dreadball (Just to give you an idea of who Joe is)

It's late in the game, and the Greenmoon Smashers are down three against the Skittersneak Stealers... It's up to the Goblin Striker known worldwide as Slippery Joe to win the game for the Smashers.. the ball is free in the bonus area for the three point Strike Zone, so a score would be worth four points and win the game for the Smashers.. but time's running out!"

The Smashers only have one action token left, so, normally they're in trouble.. it would take one action to run to the ball and pick it up, leaving no actions left for actually scoring...but if Slippery Joe doubles on the skill test, then he gets a Free Action (has to be either run or throw).

So: the Smashers coach rolls 4 dice (3 dice normally, +1 for Joe being a Striker), against Joe's Skill rating (For the purposes of this example, 4+).

His roll: 6 2 1 3

It looks like he only succeeds normally, but don't forget, he rolled a six, so he rolls another die, and it's a 5! Joe gets two successes and thus doubles.

So now, he needs to throw the ball throw the holographic target (called the Strike Hex):

Since he's four squares away from the target (In the bonus hex for the three point Strike Zone), normally he'd only roll two dice against the Skill rating of 4. He gets to add another die thanks to the fact he's a striker.

The dice are rolled: 2 3 5.. One success, but that's all he needs!

Joe launches it.. AND IT"S THROUGH JUST AT THE BUZZER! Smashers win! The Smashers win!

And just look at Joe twirl that mustache as he laughs at the crestfallen Stealers.. there's a reason Joe was voted the Dreadball "Most likely to be punched in the face real time soon" award, Jim!

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #855
Danny
Head Coach

Especially with the limits they put on the Striker pledge, I think it is a pretty safe bet the value of the striker bundle ends up being $250+ after it is actually received.

I did the early bird three copies for $420. I then will be adding the Robot, Z'Zor, Judwan, and Female Corp teams for $50 (BOGO) and then 4 keepers and 4 coaches ($15 each).

Games seems really cool. I'll probably name the different models and keep track of stats and run a season lol.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #856
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

From the company that Kickstarted Tammany Hall and The Great Fire of London, they have a KS for Lost Valley. This is one of those I would like to jump on, but likely won't. There are options to pick up the other games with higher pledges.

Lost Valley by Pandasaurus Games — Kickstarter
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #857
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I might have posted this here before, but are there any fans of the Advanced Civilization board game that would like to play online? It'd be nice to get a game going with people I know who aren't going to flame out.

(rol) Civ :: (rol) Civilization Log in
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #858
tarcone
Coordinator

i will play. I am signed up. Name is Tarc on the site. Create a game and Im there.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #859
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sweet. Minimum to play is 3, maximum is 8. The more, the better, IMO. I'm no pro or anything, so people who want to learn to play are welcome, also.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #860
Danny
Head Coach

Wish I could, but I dont have the time at the moment. I havent even played a real board game in three weeks
Old 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #861
Warhammer
Pro Starter

How much of a time sink is it? I would love to get some more Adv. Civ in.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #862
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm thinking no time limits will be needed with an FOFC crew. Probably 10 minutes per day (with no pressure to put those 10 in every day), plus trade talks?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #863
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Although, reading the rules could take an hour or so.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #864
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't know the game, but understand strategy games in general. I'll register and would give it a try if people don't mind a newbie.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #865
Autumn
Head Coach

My name is Aeon on there.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #866
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Mostly doing administrative stuff in terms of gaming. Working on seeing about getting people together at my house to hang out. Working on having another group get together in October. I pretty much planned out the next gaming session with a friend I game with maybe 3 times a year. Sleeved all of my factions for Summoner Wars. I went back and sorted and bagged Eclipse. Gonna work on putting miniatures together while the Michigan Vs. ND game is on. I'll go through and read some manuals as well. I might as well be prepared for the next time gaming picks up.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #867
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

does anyone play heroclix online?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #868
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I might have posted this here before, but are there any fans of the Advanced Civilization board game that would like to play online? It'd be nice to get a game going with people I know who aren't going to flame out.

(rol) Civ :: (rol) Civilization Log in

Late to the party, but I'm game for this, as well.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #869
Autumn
Head Coach

Thanks for friending me, Britrock. I'm glad to hop into a game Pass, if you want to start one (assuming you haven't already)
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #870
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No game started yet. We've got me, Tarc, Autumn, and britrock. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if we get more, since IIRC, 6 is way better than 4.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #871
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
How much of a time sink is it? I would love to get some more Adv. Civ in.

Oh, and maybe Warhammer! Friend me if you want in!

And Autumn, I didn't answer this, but I'm picturing a very newbie-friendly game, where people can ask questions of the group and talk about the game publicly as much as they want. Then we can follow up with a more serious game if we're all still interested.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #872
Autumn
Head Coach

That would be awesome. I'm reading the rules, but I'm sure I'll blunder a bit.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #873
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm also new, but I did [s]stay at a Holiday Inn Express[/s] read the rules last night. Kind of looks like Catan plus Age of Empires and a dash of Risk, which is great.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #874
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
No game started yet. We've got me, Tarc, Autumn, and britrock. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if we get more, since IIRC, 6 is way better than 4.

Well, I'll wait one more day, to see if Warhammer is interested (I sent him a PM), and if anyone else wants in. I think the more people the better, since it makes trading more interesting.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #875
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
does anyone play heroclix online?

I saw it some time ago but never checked it out.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #876
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What sort of time investment are we looking at? I'm only really available from about 6 to midnight Eastern, but I'd like to check it out.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #877
Izulde
Head Coach

Copy of Mage Knight finally came, but it's been too demoralizing a day to even want to open the box.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #878
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Copy of Mage Knight finally came, but it's been too demoralizing a day to even want to open the box.

Do you own an iPhone or are you a Packer Fan? Oh Or a scab referee?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #879
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
What sort of time investment are we looking at? I'm only really available from about 6 to midnight Eastern, but I'd like to check it out.

Pass is the voice of authority here... but the site's suggested time limits for turns are 24-72 hours. So a window of availability every day should probably be just fine.

(...or are you asking about HeroClix?)
Old 09-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #880
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah I think you just neeed a few moments to take your turn every day or something. Online games tend to move slow as everyone needs to take thier turn.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #881
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Advanced Civ was my question. I'll sign up over there this evening after work and see what I can find.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #882
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'm in, responded to the PM as well. The only catch is I can't start until next week. We have our game convention this weekend, so I am getting prepared for that, and will be running the game library throughout the con as well as running games and tournaments.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #883
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Pass is the voice of authority here... but the site's suggested time limits for turns are 24-72 hours. So a window of availability every day should probably be just fine.

(...or are you asking about HeroClix?)

It's essentially play-by-email. The site emails you when it's your turn to do something, and you log on and perform your actions. So you don't really need to have a time when you're available -- just make your turns within a reasonable time. Some diplomacy may be needed throughout the game, and there's a trading round where you'll make deals with other players, but none of it is urgent, and the trading round basically just ends when everyone is done making deals.

There are suggested time limits, but I'm fine with turning those off, in case life gets crazy for people.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #884
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully will have this next week or so.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #885
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I was trying to clean out my rather Castanzaesque wallet and I found one of those random cards people hand you at GenCon. It was for $10 off some gaming website called "Cool Stuff".

So, I took a gander and found a new game that was already discounted and they were offering free shipping. So, I cashed in my $10 discount code and got a copy of "Zombicide". (Yes, yes, more zombies). The bounses of this game are:

1. 1-6 players.
2. Totally cooperative
3. Lots of cool looking pieces

Looks promising!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #886
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

CSI is my preferred online store in part because they give discounts for repeat customers. Zombicide had a huge Kickstarter project, and it's a contender for the best zombie game out there, but I'm still waiting to see how it fares over time.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-27-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #887
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Perfect Heist: a board game for 3 to 6 friends by Karl Tiedemann — Kickstarter

Buddy of mine linked me to this. Sounds like it could be a slightly deeper version of Munchkin.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #888
tarcone
Coordinator

Im looking at backing a couple projects. One on indiegogo, the other on Kickstarter,

Check them out. There are 3 that look cool, but I will only back one or 2.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Exodus: Proxima Centauri - Board Game | Indiegogo

Salmon Run
Salmon Run -- Prepare for the race of a (fish's) lifetime! by Gryphon and Eagle Games -- Keith Blume — Kickstarter

Evil Intent
Evil Intent by Christian Strain — Kickstarter
Old 09-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #889
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

This did look good when Tom did a preview of it.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #890
Thomkal
Head Coach

Here's another attempt to bring one of my favs Talisman to the digital world. This one is looking more hopeful to make it this time and takes an interesting approach-its a solo version of the full game created to introduce new players to the game. You can support it on Steam Greenlight if you like the idea.

Talisman Prologue
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #891
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Finally coordinated getting people together so doing some 5 player action tonight.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #892
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im looking at backing a couple projects. One on indiegogo, the other on Kickstarter,

Check them out. There are 3 that look cool, but I will only back one or 2.

Exodus: Proxima Centauri
Exodus: Proxima Centauri - Board Game | Indiegogo

Salmon Run
Salmon Run -- Prepare for the race of a (fish's) lifetime! by Gryphon and Eagle Games -- Keith Blume — Kickstarter

Evil Intent
Evil Intent by Christian Strain — Kickstarter

Salmon seems fun, but I see no reason to kickstart it. It's from a good sized publisher and will likely be around $25 at online stores later. Seems better to wait, see some reviews and then decide (and get it cheaper).

I know little of evil intent, but I am guessing it doesnt reach its 55k goal.

Exodus seems like a winner and seems like it needs some more support. Not sure how available that one will be later. This one seems like the best bet of the three.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #893
Danny
Head Coach

FWIW, I will not kickstart a game from a respectable publisher unless there is a lot of extras that make it worth it. I see no reason to place the risk on me instead of the publisher unless I am getting something out of it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #894
Groundhog
Coordinator

I put just over $200 down on Dread Ball so far, looks promising.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #895
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This sums up game night.

Finally got to play Survive: Escape from Atlantis. I suck horribly at it, but I don't think I was hardly paying attention during the second game. It was mostly talking with budding friends and what should be new ones. I really had a great time, but yeah.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #896
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Vince and Warhammer, are you guys in for Civ? If so, sign up on the site, and friend me (passacaglia).
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #897
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Here's another attempt to bring one of my favs Talisman to the digital world. This one is looking more hopeful to make it this time and takes an interesting approach-its a solo version of the full game created to introduce new players to the game. You can support it on Steam Greenlight if you like the idea.

Talisman Prologue

This seems like a tough sell. I have played a huge amount of Talisman, especially in my younger days, but it's not really the style of game that converts to a video form well - basically roll and move, draw cards. I guess this solo version is a step in the right direction though.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #898
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This seems like a tough sell. I have played a huge amount of Talisman, especially in my younger days, but it's not really the style of game that converts to a video form well - basically roll and move, draw cards. I guess this solo version is a step in the right direction though.

I somewhat agree-half the fun of Talisman is laughing at/boasting over your fellow players travails. But for someone like me who doesn't get to play Board games much these days, just the chance to play one of my favs is worth it for me.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #899
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Vince and Warhammer, are you guys in for Civ? If so, sign up on the site, and friend me (passacaglia).

Done
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #900
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Done

Sweet, just waiting on Vince (and whoever else wants in).

Assuming we stick with 6, we've got two map choices -- one that includes everything except Spain, France, England, northwest Africa, and Babylon (every civ looks playable except Babylon) and another that includes everything, with all civs playable. Anyone have a preference?