Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #51
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I tried to send you a post. Did you get it and try to gain access through the link?

Ahh, it let me in now! Thanks.

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #52
cmp
Pro Rookie

Any invites out there? cmp343 at gmail.com
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If G+ wanted a good opportunity, tonight might be one. Just saw the most awful design mod on FB I can recall, ginormous full right frame chat bar. They even greyed out the "options" menu at the bottom making it nearly impossible to see where/how to make the damned thing go away.

edit to add: Oh now it's on bitches. The damned thing just reactivated itself AFTER I chose to "hide".

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-07-2011 at 09:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #54
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not if you're switching to "off".

I've got roughly 300 friends on FB, which last figure I saw is right at average. To have those 300, they had to at least be active in the past year since that's about how long I've been on FB.

Of those 300 accounts, about half are active less than once a month, with at least 75 showing no sign of being touched in at least six months. Of the remainder, about half never post or do anything except play games. That means only 1/4 of my friend's list actually does anything that's relatively unique to social network sites.

The danger for FB isn't Google nearly so much as it is user-fatigue. And if Zynga ever goes totally solo, FB is well & truly fucked.

How can you tell they're active and when they're active? Just a guess?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
How can you tell they're active and when they're active? Just a guess?

Well if someone hasn't made a single visible post in months, hasn't changed a photo, hasn't even cleared wall spam, that's going down as inactive in my book. Seems like a reasonable assumption.

The percentage of users who actually tweak what's visible to different sets of people is simply too low (I've seen estimates in the 10% range) to have that as a viable explanation for many of those change.

Plus I've had numerous conversations along the lines of "yeah, I had an account, haven't looked at it in months, if you need me just email me", so at least in my little private focus group it's an even more reliable guess.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #56
samifan24
Pro Starter

I saw a tweet that Google+ is allowing open signups tonight but as soon as I go over to sign up, they say they're overloaded again. I guess we all just have to wait for those invites to come through.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #57
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
If G+ wanted a good opportunity, tonight might be one. Just saw the most awful design mod on FB I can recall, ginormous full right frame chat bar. They even greyed out the "options" menu at the bottom making it nearly impossible to see where/how to make the damned thing go away.

edit to add: Oh now it's on bitches. The damned thing just reactivated itself AFTER I chose to "hide".

Oh good god, you're right on on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #58
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I got mine to go away and it hasn't reappeared, but it was an eye sore when I first saw it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #59
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm in. PM me your email address if you want an invite and haven't received one.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #60
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

My invite button is back as well.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #61
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for invite Pass, poking around in it now.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #62
MJ4H
Coordinator

Finally got in this morning. Happy to invite people after I figure out how.
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #63
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Thanks for invite Pass, poking around in it now.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #64
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Yep, wife and I saw that last night. And once you figure out how to access the bar to "hide" it, it's no longer in toggle mode where you can easily toggle between showing the list of "online chat friends" and not. It appears that you have to hide/unhide the list every time.

We were looking at someone's pictures, and the chat bar apparently overlayed over the scroll bar, so I had to click inside the screen to move the screen up and down instead of being able to use the scroll bar, too. You could tell there were buttons and the comment box at the bottom of the page that weren't loaded, but you couldn't get there because there was no scroll bar. What a huge mess.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What a huge mess.

Typically FB "upgrade": no sign of any beta testing on most of their changes at all, or at least not any competent testing.

And if you think this one is fun, just wait til they roll out the design change they've been testing in Germany for a few weeks now. It duplicates the news feed (center wall) in the right frame Twitter-style.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #66
Rizon
Pro Starter

Is this one of their "upgrades" that is rolled out? Because I haven't seen any change yet.
Quote:
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Is this one of their "upgrades" that is rolled out? Because I haven't seen any change yet.

Probably. All I know is, I can't hide the stupid thing. I refuse to click the TRY IT NOW button and there is no, NO THANKS button. All other things are grayed out and there's nothing in your account settings that I saw, to turn it off.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Probably. All I know is, I can't hide the stupid thing. I refuse to click the TRY IT NOW button and there is no, NO THANKS button. All other things are grayed out and there's nothing in your account settings that I saw, to turn it off.

smart move to avoid the "try it now" button, since there's been no way found to roll it back. Once you click that, you're stuck with it.

The options "snowflake" is grayed out but should still work (or at least it did for me & several on my f'list last night). You'll get a "hide toolbar" option from that but alas, the setting isn't sticky.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #69
Rizon
Pro Starter

The only thing I've noticed is that when I signed on today, I was signed into chat automatically (I'm always hidden). Like Jon said my options snowflake was greyed out, but I was able to click it and go hidden again. But that's the only changes I've seen so far.
Quote:
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #70
JediKooter
Coordinator

Thanks Jon. The weird thing is, I thought I did click on it and nothing happened. I even tried clicking on the grayed out 'options' and nothing happened.

So it's gone...until you refresh your screen. Oh well, I'll just keep clicking the hide button.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #71
AnalBumCover
College Starter

What's the difference between hiding someone and blocking them on g+?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #72
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, I've gone the route of not doing "try it now" on the fb thing.. thing is, there's NO way to hide it in that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #73
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Someone shoot an invite over to coffeewarlord at gmail?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #74
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Someone shoot an invite over to coffeewarlord at gmail?

Done
Quote:
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #75
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

That was fast. Two in about 6 seconds. Danke.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #76
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
That was fast. Two in about 6 seconds. Danke.

spleen1015 at gmail

I love you guys.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #77
spleen1015
Coordinator

Thanks dewds
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #78
Rizon
Pro Starter

Must be some type of open invite right now, a lot of my friends on FB are announcing they now have G+ accounts.
Quote:
Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #79
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I think everyone probably has invites now. Was only so long they could wait.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #80
sabotai
General Manager

Would very much appreciate an invite: chronokhan AT gmail.com
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #81
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Hmm, I just tried it and got a message saying they have exceeded capacity - even with an invite, which I don't have at the moment...

Last edited by tyketime : 07-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #82
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

brown underscore rhythms at hotmail dot com

If somebody can shoot me an invite.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #83
Galaxy
Coordinator

Why Google+ Business Profiles Will Trump Facebook Pages | PCWorld Business Center

Agree? Are they going to do their own Twitter system then?

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #84
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
brown underscore rhythms at hotmail dot com

If somebody can shoot me an invite.

And done.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #85
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Why Google+ Business Profiles Will Trump Facebook Pages | PCWorld Business Center

Agree? Are they going to do their own Twitter system then?

Totally agree, should be interesting. Would think it'd compete with Sharepoint more than Facebook though. I hate Sharepoint. Generally at companies I've done work with I try to set up an internal wiki, but that can't replace what Sharepoint does.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #86
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

So it seems clear to me that being able to very easily organize your contacts into different groups(or circles) and just as easily share content/posts/pictures with whichever circle you like is what sets this apart. I can easily have family, friends, work, and just people I share an interest with and simply manage my communication with all of them without worrying about who sees what. It has a much more open feeling.

I can for example create a VMware circle(my bread and butter) and talk VMware specifically to that group, people I may not know that well, while keeping a simultaneous and separate stream to my friends as you would in Facebook. You can of course assign a single person to multiple circles.

That said, I have a Facebook account but I rarely used it. If this functionality was easily and readily available I never noticed it.

It also seems to be very quick.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-08-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #87
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just got in on Google+, liking what I see so far. I'm not a big Facebook user (I have never posted a status update, for example, but I do occasionally read those of my 'friends'). Assuming this caught on among at least one of my 'circles', I could see it becoming something I use a fair bit.

That said, I liked Google Buzz and that died a horrible death because like 5 people I knew ever used it.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #88
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Totally agree, should be interesting. Would think it'd compete with Sharepoint more than Facebook though. I hate Sharepoint. Generally at companies I've done work with I try to set up an internal wiki, but that can't replace what Sharepoint does.

What about things like Twitter and LinkedIn?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #89
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I suspect Google's answer will include their online office suite and the ability to share, edit, track business documents as well as general information sharing through a Google+ type portal site. Right now Google's Office products suck and there's not much reason to use them. But add them to a streamlined information sharing portal to allow quick access to Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents without having to even leave your browser or having any type of locally installed application, that would interest me. If I worked at an internal gig I'd be pushing for it heavy and if this comes true I'll likely bring it up with my clients.

LinkedIn facilitates business networking between individuals and not much more, does not offer much to a specific company beyond recruiting purposes.

Twitter's popularity is and will remain an enigma to me . I do think Google+ has built in twitter functionality, a person can post to a public feed and followers can add that person to a circle with limited access.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #90
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I suspect Google's answer will include their online office suite and the ability to share, edit, track business documents as well as general information sharing through a Google+ type portal site. Right now Google's Office products suck and there's not much reason to use them. But add them to a streamlined information sharing portal to allow quick access to Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents without having to even leave your browser or having any type of locally installed application, that would interest me. If I worked at an internal gig I'd be pushing for it heavy and if this comes true I'll likely bring it up with my clients.

LinkedIn facilitates business networking between individuals and not much more, does not offer much to a specific company beyond recruiting purposes.

Twitter's popularity is and will remain an enigma to me . I do think Google+ has built in twitter functionality, a person can post to a public feed and followers can add that person to a circle with limited access.

I think if Google tries to copy Twitter and LinkedIn into their current structure , it will just become a mess.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #91
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I sent out an invite and now the invite option is gone. Is it a one and done deal?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #92
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think they can copy LinkedIn, not sure they want to. That's a very focused site, people don't go there to socialize. It's really sort of a different site altogether. I maintain a LinkedIn account and I view it very differently than I do Facebook or Google+. Don't see that changing. While people may visit LinkedIn often, aside from recruiters I don't think they spend a lot of time there.

Twitter? Not a whole lot of substance there, I think they almost incorporate it's functionality simply as a byproduct of their design.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #93
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I sent out an invite and now the invite option is gone. Is it a one and done deal?

I sent out a half dozen or so, but I just checked and it looks like mine's gone as well. I don't buy the claim that they are experiencing unexpectedly high volumes, they are walking a thin line playing the manufactured demand game with a site that needs people joining in packs.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #94
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Invite option is back. I love the fact that I can edit what I post. It's one of the bigger pet peeves I have with Facebook.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #95
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Well, I've finally moved into the 2010s. I've resisted the social networking pull until now, but my wife got an invite and invited me in turn. Taking the plunge now.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #96
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Can I get an invite? tyketyme at gmail dot com. Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #97
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Can I get an invite? tyketyme at gmail dot com. Thanks

Sent.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #98
Toddiec
Mascot

If anyone does have an extra invite to send out I would greatly appreciate it. toddiec at yahoo dot com. Thank you in advance for all your efforts to drag this guy into the modern age of technology and such. Now I just have to try this fancy twitter or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays.

Todd
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #99
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddiec View Post
If anyone does have an extra invite to send out I would greatly appreciate it. toddiec at yahoo dot com. Thank you in advance for all your efforts to drag this guy into the modern age of technology and such. Now I just have to try this fancy twitter or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays.

Todd
Invite sent
Old 07-09-2011, 08:50 PM   #100
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Would love an invite for anyone who has an extra one. Thanks in advance. tripfantastiq at gmail dot com
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote