Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #151
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So if the Bounty sunk, that means Captain Bligh and the rest in the rowboat are screwed.

Thank you. As sad as that story is, I couldn't believe we got a good 4-5 posts in before anyone made a Mutiny on the Bounty joke.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #152
Suicane75
Coordinator

Breezy and rainy so far today in Hunterdon County NJ, expected to pick up in a few hours and especially later tonight. Right now it's my kind of day but I know what's coming so I'm tempering my hopes. Just playing a game of HON: Weather Women.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #153
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/25/rare-hybrid-storm-predicted-to-slam-northeast/?icid=maing-grid7|netscape|dl1|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D225511

From the Comments section:

But it's such a perfect plan, by causing damage and power outages Obama can easily steal the election by controlling the outcome of voting in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts....

Hey wait a minute, why didn't we just send this one to Florida again?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's because Obama is so incompetent that he sent it to states he already will win

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #155
bronconick
College Starter

He's trolling. Still win the northeast states, but turnout will be depressed so Romney can win the popular vote by 3-4 points and lose the electoral college.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #156
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe it's just my midwestern background but that row of sandbags doesn't seem like it will do much if the water just goes around them. Do they think that fence is going to block a flood?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #157
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
"super bombs freakish thing"
Dang. It appears to be super bombing freakish thing. As the Euro model predicted a week ago, it's strengthening as it approaches the NE coast. It's at 943 mb at the 11am update. The SBFT prediction called for 944. This would be a prime example of why I put stock in this guy and the Euro model and not the NWS when we're that far out. They still had it going out to sea this time last week...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #158
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is Mackey's in Ocean City. Needless to say, it's not supposed to be an island.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #159
PilotMan
Head Coach

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #160
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm guessing this is 99L? The European model has it doing some odd things. The most likely scenario is still that it just blows harmlessly out to the Atlantic like your typical October storm

SI

Please disregard this post from last week. D'oh

SI

Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #161
Easy Mac

fake. Incredible Viral Soldier Pic Debunked by Military
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #162
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

What's with the guns?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #163
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dola -

When is this thing officially supposed to reach land? I've been off-the-grid for a the past couple days.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #164
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I knew that was fake immediately.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #165
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

[IMG][/IMG]

Nothing like what is happening to the east coast but Lake Erie is stirring up a bit. Attached is a live video near downtown Cleveland harbor.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 10-29-2012 at 12:48 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #166
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Brownsfan...do you have an outside link to that? I tried to send it to my wife, but it's just an Operationsports url.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #167
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

sure:

hxxp://fox8.com/2012/10/29/live-video-massive-lake-erie-waves/

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #168
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I knew that was fake immediately.

Sportsdigs knew it was fake 2 weeks ago

SI

Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #169
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
sure:

hxxp://fox8.com/2012/10/29/live-video-massive-lake-erie-waves/

Couldn't help but notice that this was posted at the top of the page you linked me to...

"Posted on: 10:15 am, October 29, 2012, by Lindsay Buckingham, updated on: 10:32am, October 29, 2012"
Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #170
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Yeah - not really sure what that means. I know it's a live feed. Maybe Fox posted the feed on the site at that time?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #171
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Sportsdigs knew it was fake 2 weeks ago

SI

If I've learned one thing about Facebook, it's that people worship our military. I just assume nearly every soldier story is fake.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #172
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Yeah - not really sure what that means. I know it's a live feed. Maybe Fox posted the feed on the site at that time?

I was referring to the name on the feed. Just kind of an odd coincidence.

My wife said she just watched somebody ride by on a bike. What the hell is wrong with people? Why do some folks just not get that humans are insignificant and puny, and nature can easily wipe us out without so much as a blink?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #173
Ben E Lou

Some mildly positive news, it would appear: Sandy has sped up considerably (27mph), so it'll get to the coast well before high tide now. Earlier, it was looking like it would coincide with high tide.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #174
Comey
College Starter

Where I live, in Mystic, CT, there has already been severe flooding. The Weather Channel broadcast from where I work on the weekends, at the YMCA. I took sunset pictures from their exact location two weeks ago. Seeing them there was rather surreal.

I took off last night, as I live along the bay. It is almoat assuredly under water now, and it will get worse during the week. I don't know when I can return.

This isn't looking good, obviously. As I write this, the winds are really beginning to pick up in Fairfield.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #175
Ben E Lou

Dola: still strengthening a bit, though. Down to 940.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #176
Suicane75
Coordinator

Saw someone on WX facebook page that it's turning slightly south and the guy said it could make land in DE and not AC. Selfishly I hope that's the case.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #177
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Saw someone on WX facebook page that it's turning slightly south and the guy said it could make land in DE and not AC. Selfishly I hope that's the case.
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure how much that level of detail matters much, given the size of this storm. And if it moves slightly to the south of you, that could actually increase the storm surge a bit in your area.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #178
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Honestly, at this point I'm not sure how much that level of detail matters much, given the size of this storm. And if it moves slightly to the south of you, that could actually increase the storm surge a bit in your area.

Exactly. This thing is massive. Already getting some flooding at our hospital in AC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #179
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm on the NJ/PA border dead in the middle of the state so it'll probably help a bit. At this point I'm hoping for any bit of good news. But yeah, the size of it probably makes that not matter. I'm just hoping nothing comes down around me.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #180
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dola. A few minutes ago the front page of WeatherChannel.com had the headline "Megastorm In NY", which I think is kind of insulting to the people are gonna and already have been hit hardest by this.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Argh... my family lives in Toms River, NJ - which is like 5 miles from the Bay and 7-8 miles from the Ocean - and they decided to stay at home instead of evacuating or going to one of the shelters in the town (at the local high schools, including my old one). Grumble.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #182
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

But it looks like there are real pics of pretty much the same thing linked to in that article?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #183
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But it looks like there are real pics of pretty much the same thing linked to in that article?

It's a real pic, they just said it was from September and not today (according to the Old Guard Twitter linked there in the article). Unless I missed something...
Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #184
molson
General Manager

But they are out there, 24/7 through this Hurricane like every other one and every other weather event. So, if you went there right now and stood in the right place you could get the same photo. So it's kind of an irrelevant "debunking".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #185
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But they are out there, 24/7 through this Hurricane like every other one and every other weather event. So, if you went there right now and stood in the right place you could get the same photo. So it's kind of an irrelevant "debunking".

Actually, I believe they are removed from post during severe weather events like a hurricane, those just don't hit Arlington/DC very often.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #186
Leroy Veritas
Banned

One of the trees in my front yard just cussed at me when I ran out to get the mail and newspaper.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #187
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

actually its not raining very hard, or windy at all now. I get your point, but its still not what people say it is.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #188
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
actually its not raining very hard, or windy at all now. I get your point, but its still not what people say it is.

It is in NoVa, at least it was. We've had two very strong bands come through and there are limbs/small trees down. The drainage ditch running through the back of my property is already flooded (about a 2 foot ditch). It's not horrible yet, but it's been pretty rough a couple of times already.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #189
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

This is what I meant. The facebook page debunking the picture even shows real pictures of them during Sandy.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #190
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Veritas View Post
It is in NoVa, at least it was. We've had two very strong bands come through and there are limbs/small trees down. The drainage ditch running through the back of my property is already flooded (about a 2 foot ditch). It's not horrible yet, but it's been pretty rough a couple of times already.

really? im 8 miles from Arlington, and we've had a steady drizzle, and some gusts, but nothing to get worked up about. I guess that shows how much weather can vary

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #191
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
really? im 8 miles from Arlington, and we've had a steady drizzle, and some gusts, but nothing to get worked up about. I guess that shows how much weather can vary

Just saw a video of a tree going down in Georgetown. It's bizarro world out there. I've got a few friends in Rockville that claim they've had sunlight today.

Here's the video from CWG, scroll down to the 2:42 posting.

Hurricane Sandy: live updates
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #192
Subby
lolzcat

We are in NoVA inside the beltway, north of 1-66. It is raining heavily and the wind is gusting hard. And it looks the the trees are going to be uprooted any second. And this is nothing compared to what's coming after the sun goes down.

It's scary as shit.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #193
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Actually, I believe they are removed from post during severe weather events like a hurricane, those just don't hit Arlington/DC very often.

The news articles, like this one from Hurricane Irene, usually say they've been there continuously 24/7 since 1937, though, I guess they have the option of standing under an adjacent tent (though I doubt they use that very often). I don't know for sure either way, but that's what I've always read.

Still Vigilant at the Tomb of the Unknowns Despite Irene - ABC News

Last edited by molson : 10-29-2012 at 02:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #194
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Argh... my family lives in Toms River, NJ - which is like 5 miles from the Bay and 7-8 miles from the Ocean - and they decided to stay at home instead of evacuating or going to one of the shelters in the town (at the local high schools, including my old one). Grumble.

God bless. That isn't where I'd want to be over the next 24 hours.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #195
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just saw a video of a tree going down in Georgetown. It's bizarro world out there. I've got a few friends in Rockville that claim they've had sunlight today.

Here's the video from CWG, scroll down to the 2:42 posting.

Hurricane Sandy: live updates

I gotta say, Ashburn's had some crazy gusting, too. More than I expected. And then rain has been nuts.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It is getting very nasty here in Galloway.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looking at some of the Norfolk flooding. Wow, I used to live in Ocean View, which is covered. And Ghent doesn't look all that hot either now.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #198
Ron Mexico
n00b

Starting to feel it outside of Trenton as well-- the rain hasn't been terrible yet, but there's been a couple big blasts of wind gusts in the past 30 min or so. I would say 40+ mph winds.
Ron Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #199
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

we have just gotten some huge gusts here... also, I want to be a strom reporter when I grow up.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #200
digamma
Torchbearer

Stay safe all.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote