Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #301
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Was passing through Madison, GA (right off I-20) this afternoon, ran into a small fleet of power company trucks from Washington-St. Tammany EMC ... en route to Maryland.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Seeing the pictures of the devestation on Seaside Heights, especially the two piers, just made me lose it. That place was a huge part of my childhood and it was one of the things I most spoke about when I would tell people what I loved about my childhood home and New Jersey in general. It has just gave me such a sense of loss .

Me too, really made me feel a sense of loss that something from my childhood is essentialy wiped off the map.

I stil can't get through to my folks in Freehold
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #303
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So if the Bounty sunk, that means Captain Bligh and the rest in the rowboat are screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Thank you. As sad as that story is, I couldn't believe we got a good 4-5 posts in before anyone made a Mutiny on the Bounty joke.

The story gets sadder and a lot stranger. The crew member that died claimed to be a direct descendant of Fletcher Christian.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8LU8PK20121030
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #304
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I feel kind of like a wuss. They just showed a part of Seaside Heights I used to walk all the time during the summers and it was ALL gone and I just started crying again.

I'm sure your folks are ok, Lathum! I think the phone lines are down and the power as well (so to charge cell phones). But it seems most people are ok!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #305
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hope your folks are fine Lathum!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Was passing through Madison, GA (right off I-20) this afternoon, ran into a small fleet of power company trucks from Washington-St. Tammany EMC ... en route to Maryland.

Every time i see those trucks rolling out I realize I have the wrong career aspirations. I wonder what the daily rate for these type of things has to be...like 2grand a day for each guy(or even more?)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #307
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Shocked power never went out but internet and cable has been in an doff all day long, mostly off

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #308
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Looks like power is out at Palmer Theological Seminary just a few miles north.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #309
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Got in touch with my Dad a bit ago, they are inland and evrything is fine. They have no power but nothing flooded and no major wind damage. Thanks for the kind thoughts.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #310
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Gppd ta hear Lathum

Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #311
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Got in touch with my Dad a bit ago, they are inland and evrything is fine. They have no power but nothing flooded and no major wind damage. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Excellent news!!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #312
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yay!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #313
General Mike
Pro Starter

I got power back on about 40 minutes ago, so we only were without power for about 20 hours.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #314
PilotMan
Head Coach

Delta Terminal @ LGA

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #315
JPhillips
General Manager

I've flown in/out of those Delta terminals.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #316
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, nice pic PilotMan

Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #317
Ron Mexico
n00b

Just got power back recently here too. Throughout Mercer County, it seems to be very hit-or-miss. My office is about 5 miles from here and in taking a ride there, I saw 4-5 pockets of homes with no power and my office is still down.

Hearing reports from the Middlesex area that power isn't likely to be restored for approx. 1 week yet.
Ron Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #318
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Anytime is BOOGIETIME!

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #319
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

'Heroic' Iran, 'resistive' Syria behind Sandy, pro-Assad group claims - CNN.com

Quote:
"Sources confirmed to us that Hurricane Sandy that is slamming the U.S. was set off by highly advanced technologies developed by the heroic Iranian regime that supports the resistance, with coordination of our resistive Syrian regime," pro-government group News Network of the Syrian Armed Forces said in a Facebook posting.

"This is the punishment for whoever dares to attack Syria's (Bashar) al-Assad and threaten peace and stability."
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #320
PilotMan
Head Coach

When does the investigation begin into why the administration failed to admit it was a terrorist attack?

Like Steam?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #321
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Please do not take this post as in anyway minimizing what folks are going through. This was a major storm, and the folks in its path have my deepest sympathy. However, the coverage of it is starting to get on my nerves:

1) Stop using this as a platform to prove climate change. It was back in the 80s when I heard the quote from weather folks that "we're in a mild storm cycle, when things return to normal people are going to freak out." Storms like this have happened before, and will happen again, they aren't any worse or more frequent thanks to "climate change", this is just the planet we live on.

2) Speaking of which, stop talking about this as "unprecedented" and "never happened before". This is one of the worst storms to hit the eastern seabord simply because population levels have gone up so much, so there is much more to hit. 1938 wasn't any fun, either, but much less of the land was developed. There have been ongoing discussions over the last couple of years about how unprepared New York is were something like that storm to happen again; http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/mandias/...ne_future.html is a fun read, for example, but you can find other similar references as well. We knew this would happen eventually, so stop being surprised by it.

Let's focus on the damage, what's needed for recovery, and information about what's closed and reopening that the people in the affected area need to hear, and stop trying to editorialize.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #322
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
When does the investigation begin into why the administration failed to admit it was a terrorist attack?

They've always known, and they could have stopped it. They just let it happen to swing the election.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #323
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Heard from my NY boss that the subwaysin NY aren't running and that many lights are out of service. So 8 million people are clamoring for taxis, car services, and busses. As well she says the streets of Manhattan are in chaos.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #324
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Heard from my NY boss that the subwaysin NY aren't running and that many lights are out of service. So 8 million people are clamoring for taxis, car services, and busses. As well she says the streets of Manhattan are in chaos.

Maybe it's much worse downtown, but I'm in midtown right now and it's actually pretty quiet. Most of that is because the commuter trains aren't running so actual volume in the city is much lower than normal.

Cabs are authorized to make multiple stops to pick up additional passengers to reduce the burden. I was surprised on my walk to the office when I saw plenty of empty cabs.

Last edited by Logan : 10-31-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #325
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Please do not take this post as in anyway minimizing what folks are going through. This was a major storm, and the folks in its path have my deepest sympathy. However, the coverage of it is starting to get on my nerves:

1) Stop using this as a platform to prove climate change. It was back in the 80s when I heard the quote from weather folks that "we're in a mild storm cycle, when things return to normal people are going to freak out." Storms like this have happened before, and will happen again, they aren't any worse or more frequent thanks to "climate change", this is just the planet we live on.

So are you a climate change denier? Or are you just irritated that people are pointing it out instead of focusing on the rest of the story?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #326
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
2) Speaking of which, stop talking about this as "unprecedented" and "never happened before". This is one of the worst storms to hit the eastern seabord simply because population levels have gone up so much, so there is much more to hit.

Since a storm of this magnitude had not hit a population center like this in the US, would that not make it unprecedented? The previous precedent doesn't apply, due to the lower population density at the time.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #327
PilotMan
Head Coach

Another pic from LGA at the height of the storm.

Like Steam?

Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #328
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Seems like a fun place to be. Haha.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #329
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
So are you a climate change denier? Or are you just irritated that people are pointing it out instead of focusing on the rest of the story?

I don't want this to get sidetracked, so my one comment and I'll stop: no, my point was that storms like this (and more unsettled weather in general) were predicted before global warming became the thing, simply because they are more typical for the earth than what we had in the 70s and 80s.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #330
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Since a storm of this magnitude had not hit a population center like this in the US, would that not make it unprecedented? The previous precedent doesn't apply, due to the lower population density at the time.

Maybe on the "unprecedented", I'm just tired of the media pretending a large hurricane has never hit New York before, or that no one thought this would ever happen. People have been worried and talking about this very scenario for a few years now.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #331
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe you should change the channel.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #332
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

Quote:
Maybe on the "unprecedented", I'm just tired of the media pretending a large hurricane has never hit New York before, or that no one thought this would ever happen. People have been worried and talking about this very scenario for a few years now.

This wasn't even a powerful hurricane. It was large (as in area) but not powerful (as in wind). The large area probably produced a larger storm surge than one would expect to see in a category 1 hurricane but it was a still a minimal hurricane.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #333
JPhillips
General Manager

The top wind speed may have been high cat1, but the pressure was the lowest ever seen for many communities on the Eastern seaboard. This was a wickedly powerful storm with a pressure more suitable to major hurricanes.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #334
Leroy Veritas
Banned

Quote:
2) Speaking of which, stop talking about this as "unprecedented" and "never happened before". This is one of the worst storms to hit the eastern seabord simply because population levels have gone up so much, so there is much more to hit. 1938 wasn't any fun, either, but much less of the land was developed.

There was a storm that made landfall with hurricane force winds, that had gale force winds up to 1040 miles in diameter at one point, that combined with another system from the west to produce more than 2 feet of snow in 5 states, with pressure low enough that people were getting the airplane ear popping effect, and wiped out massive amounts of coastline along with sever damage to a major population center before this one? This was unprecedented on many levels.

Last edited by Leroy Veritas : 10-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Leroy Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #335
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

I just wonder how many homes were flooded and destroyed/damaged. And unfortunately, most will not be covered due to a "rising body of water", unless they are NFIP insured.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #336
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm also curious about what they are going to do with all of those cars that will be totaled. They are going to have to take them somewhere in the mean time.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #337
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Veritas View Post
There was a storm that made landfall with hurricane force winds, that had gale force winds up to 1040 miles in diameter at one point, that combined with another system from the west to produce more than 2 feet of snow in 5 states, with pressure low enough that people were getting the airplane ear popping effect, and wiped out massive amounts of coastline along with sever damage to a major population center before this one? This was unprecedented on many levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Eng...ricane_of_1938

That has a good list of major storms that hit the area over the last 2 centuries or so.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #338
Logan
Head Coach

Bloomberg says the NYC Marathon is still a go for Sunday.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #339
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I'm also curious about what they are going to do with all of those cars that will be totaled. They are going to have to take them somewhere in the mean time.

Here in Joplin the uninsured cars were mostly sold for scrap, of course, there wasn't much left to salvage on a lot of them.

From what I remember reading, the insurance companies will sell the cars for salvage or at auctions. The vendors who buy the nicer cars will be cleaned and refurbished and sold in other countries.

edited for: Countries... not counties!

Last edited by MizzouCowboy : 10-31-2012 at 02:23 PM.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #340
Comey
College Starter

The Weather Channel was at the Mystic YMCA on Monday.

I work as a wellness and sports instructor at the Mystic YMCA.

That's still surreal to me.

Anyway, Mystic was battered...most of the town is still without power, and it could be days before it shows up. I'm thankful to have a house to return to, as we had only minor flooding, along with a random kayak in the backyard. My house is about 200 feet from the Bay/Ocean, and I was totally unsure as to whether or not I'd have a home to return to.

I hope everyone here has stayed safe.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #341
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

BTW, the folks in Battery Park cracked me up. I thought everyone knew that if you see Jim Cantore, you'd better run far and fast from where he's at or you have a good chance of dying in the next few hours.

Instead, they were busy clowning and trying to get on camera.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-31-2012 at 02:46 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:29 PM   #342
Logan
Head Coach

My parents in Marlboro NJ were told they'll likely be without power until November 8th.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #343
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
The Weather Channel was at the Mystic YMCA on Monday.

Anyway, Mystic was battered...most of the town is still without power, and it could be days before it shows up. I'm thankful to have a house to return to, as we had only minor flooding, along with a random kayak in the backyard. My house is about 200 feet from the Bay/Ocean, and I was totally unsure as to whether or not I'd have a home to return to.

I hope everyone here has stayed safe.

Enjoy the new kayak!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #344
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My parents in Marlboro NJ were told they'll likely be without power until November 8th.

Ouch. Were they without power this time last year too when it snowed?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #345
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

Well your Y wouldn't be very mystic if it wasn't a little surreal, now would it?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #346
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There are only so many spots in Alabama front yards, after all.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #347
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Ouch. Were they without power this time last year too when it snowed?

Don't remember, but they were without power for at least a few days after Irene.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #348
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The top wind speed may have been high cat1, but the pressure was the lowest ever seen for many communities on the Eastern seaboard. This was a wickedly powerful storm with a pressure more suitable to major hurricanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Veritas View Post

I don't know why I'm fighting this as I really don't care. It was a huge storm and set many meteorological records. But it had max sustained winds of ~90 mph at landfall. Solidly the middle of cat 1. It did considerable damage to an area that had a large population to witness it. But the 2 main destructive forces of a hurricane (wind and storm surge) were not unprecedented. Cat 1 wind; cat 3 storm surge.

I'm done... Now I'm going to go surf for more photos like the ones of the cars bobbing like corks in a flooded garage.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #349
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

why do some of you feel the need to argue the semantics at all?

Can't we all just agree it was a monster of a storm that at best inconvenienced tens of millions and at worst destroyed the lives, and took the lives, of people.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #350
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's a bit odd seeing Obama and Christie act overly nice to each other

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote