Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #51
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm worried that Pixar is starting to lose their touch, tho. Think of their current string of movies: Cars 2, Toy Story 3, Brave, Monsters University. Too many sequels and the creative folks could get stale and lose the magic while they are just trying to cash in on old licenses.

Keep in mind that part of the point behind the Disney/Pixar merger was to infuse some talent back into the Disney Animation Studios to improve their quality, and I think it has shown with efforts like Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph. I think you'll find it harder and harder to separate those.

Plus, Toy Story 3 was VERY good, my daughter is all over Brave, and my son loved Cars 2. They are doing a good job of targeting different demographics with each of the movies.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #52
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think everyone who rags on Cars and Cars 2 is missing the point. Those movies are not targeted at 30-somethings, they are aimed squarely at 2-6 year olds. And they fuckin' nailed that bulls-eye both times.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #53
hoopsguy
General Manager

I haven't seen "Princess and the Frog" mentioned in any of the lists. My wife and I thought that was a terrific movie, although one or two parts of it are probably a little scary for a 3 year old.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #54
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I haven't seen "Princess and the Frog" mentioned in any of the lists. My wife and I thought that was a terrific movie, although one or two parts of it are probably a little scary for a 3 year old.

was Disney not Pixar tho.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think everyone who rags on Cars and Cars 2 is missing the point. Those movies are not targeted at 30-somethings, they are aimed squarely at 2-6 year olds. And they fuckin' nailed that bulls-eye both times.

But that's where the higher (and perhaps unfair) expectations come from. Madagascar is aimed squarely at kids and hits it well but there's not a ton for adults there. Whereas, Toy Story or Finding Nemo were also aimed at kids but there's a lot to watch there as a parent or other adult. That's why I argued there's a depth there to most Pixar movies that is absent in other animated films.

I even think the first Cars movie does a decent job at this but I think the "take life at its own pace" part of the message which resonates with the older audience takes a backseat a lot of the movie for things which kids would appreciate more (the racing, the comic relief characters like Mater, and general "shininess" of the movie").

Yes, it targets kids and targets them well. But our expectations are higher as they're probably the single most reliable studio out there for meeting audience expectations over the past 15 years.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #56
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

I liked Cars quite a bit. Cars 2 was rather meh though.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #57
General Mike
Pro Starter

I guess Meet the Robinsons isn't Pixar, but its of that same style and I enjoy it.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #58
Daimyo
College Starter

My kids are 3 and 6 so I've probably seen each of the Pixar movies, except Cars 2, 50-100 times. They're all great, but my favorite is Ratatouille which surprised me since it was the only one I didn't see in the theater. If I had to pick one to watch right now it would be that, Monsters Incorporated (funniest of the bunch), or Toy Story 3. The only Pixar movie I actively avoid at this point is Finding Nemo (I get the sense Cars 2 would be here too, but I've only seen it once).

My son (6) was probably most obsessed with Cars, but that may have been because of the toys. My daughter (3) was most obsessed with Beauty and the Beast and more recently loves the Tinker Bell movies.

Outside of Pixar, my kids loved Bolt, Ice Age, and Madagascar, but I don't think the latter series holds up very well to repeat viewings for parents...

Last edited by Daimyo : 12-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #60
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Despicable Me
Shrek
The Incredibles