Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #601
flounder
High School Varsity

It's nice to see that after a brief period of keeping it under wraps, Michele Bachmann's bringing the crazy again.

Quote:
At the same time, her decision to link the vaccine to cognitive disorders has turned off some conservatives, suggesting her tendency to overreach has damaged a strong line of attack.

Post-debate, the Minnesota congresswoman sent out a fundraising appeal on the issue with the title “I’m Offended.” In interviews after the debate, she suggested that the vaccine could do permanent damage.

“There’s a woman who came up crying to me tonight after the debate. She said her daughter was given that vaccine,” Bachmann said on Fox News. “She told me her daughter suffered mental retardation as a result. There are very dangerous consequences.”
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #602
RainMaker
General Manager

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Churches should be responsible for our health care.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #603
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
How are you finding Melbourne so far? I'm curious if you've had some culture shock as its probably more conservative than many areas.
I'm settled in here and enjoying myself.

Some of the culture is definitely different to back home; the way I tend to describe it to people is that in England our society is based around soccer, weather and pubs - these provide the basis for easy conversation (ie. soccer results, what team do you support, horrible weather isn't it) and social gatherings.

Here in Florida the church replaces these (ie. conversation = what church do you go to, social gatherings = church functions, attendance etc.).

Neither is 'better' - just different ... although having grown up in England I'm more at ease in a pub or watching soccer than in a church.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #604
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Here in Florida the church replaces these (ie. conversation = what church do you go to, social gatherings = church functions, attendance etc.).
This is why you need to develop your American football passion! Lots of good places in the area to go for a beer & watch football, complain about the heat, etc. And the best part is that its a (semi)acceptable form of religion in FL to follow since it does occupy a lot of time on Sundays!
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #605
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 09-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #606
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I hate early polls that say things like 59% of people don't think Obama should be re-elected," or "Obama's only gets 40% of the vote versus unknown candidate." They are just about completely useless. Once a nominee is actually through with the primaries and gets into an actual head to head, those numbers are meaningless. An "unknown candidate" always seems more attractive than an actual person.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #607
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hate early polls that say things like 59% of people don't think Obama should be re-elected," or "Obama's only gets 40% of the vote versus unknown candidate." They are just about completely useless. Once a nominee is actually through with the primaries and gets into an actual head to head, those numbers are meaningless. An "unknown candidate" always seems more attractive than an actual person.

They still seem worthwhile to compare to what kind of score other presidents had at the same time in their terms.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #608
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
It's nice to see that after a brief period of keeping it under wraps, Michele Bachmann's bringing the crazy again.

A couple doctors are offering $10,000 if someone can come forward with medical records to prove her story.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #609
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
A couple doctors are offering $10,000 if someone can come forward with medical records to prove her story.

Actual evidence and facts are never a road block for the insane like Bachmann. This is an emotional investment, not a logical one. So, there is nothing anyone can do to get her to change her mind.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #610
miked
College Starter

She also thinks Obamacare will make the government pay for everyone's "abortion pill." Or at least that insurance companies are forced to cover it.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #611
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
She also thinks Obamacare will make the government pay for everyone's "abortion pill." Or at least that insurance companies are forced to cover it.

I try to stay out of the D/R nonsense wedge issues but I believe this is accurate isn't it?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #612
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think from what I've read, insurers are not required to cover abortions of any kind and any coverage provided, would be up to that individual company. I'm not 100% sure about this though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #613
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I try to stay out of the D/R nonsense wedge issues but I believe this is accurate isn't it?

Not really. Obamacare covers the morning after pill which prevents fertilization, but not the RU 486 pill which induces abortion.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #614
miked
College Starter

Quote:

No, it covers the emergency contraception pill which is not an abortion pill. It's the little thing they keep shouting to get their base riled up, but making these available not only does not abort a baby, but may help reduce the potential for that situation to arise (or more welfare babies, which they clearly hate).

Larry beat me to it, I was dazed...

Last edited by miked : 09-15-2011 at 02:05 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #615
RainMaker
General Manager

There are Pro-Life people who call Plan B the abortion pill.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #616
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There are pro-life people that call birth control the abortion pill.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #617
RainMaker
General Manager

That's because a lot of Pro-Life people don't care about abortions and just want to shame women.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #618
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Tom Ridge to endorse Huntsman at St. Anselm | New Hampshire NEWS0605

Everyone seems to think that the primary will come down to Establishment v. Tea Party. And all of the action has been about who will be the Tea Party candidate to go against Romney.

But it looks like Huntsman isn't going quietly and just conceding the Establishment position to Romney.

Now, I don't think that Huntsman will be in it near the end. But I do wonder how much Romney's moderate/establishment support comes from the fact that he's simply the most recognizable warm body that isn't a Tea Party/insurgent candidate. Maybe even among establishment types, Romney is nothing more than the least-bad option.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #619
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's hard to win the nomination with one percent support.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #620
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'd like to see the Tea Party run a candidate itself as a third party in the election rather than just trying to take over the Republican party.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #621
JediKooter
Coordinator

One of the better quotes describing Bachmann that is not an Onion article: "Michele Bachmann continues her brave, lifelong battle with reality...".

Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #622
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I'd like to see the Tea Party run a candidate itself as a third party in the election rather than just trying to take over the Republican party.

I'd like to see that too.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #623
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's hard to win the nomination with one percent support.

LOL, sorry I missed this post when it was new
Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #624
JediKooter
Coordinator

This person wants to be president.

Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann on Friday decried the “Arab Spring” that has toppled three dictators and given rise to pro-democracy protests across the Middle East for promoting the “rise of radical elements” across the region.

In a speech to about 400 Republicans gathered for the state party’s fall convention here, the three-term Minnesota congresswoman blamed President Obama for “the hostilities of the Arab spring” and expressed regret that “we saw (Egyptian) President (Hosni) Mubarak fall while President Obama sat on his hands.”

Michelle, when you don't get your party's nomination, look in the mirror. Because that's who you have to blame for not winning.

Bachmann Calls Arab Spring ‘Radical’ - Sarah Huisenga - NationalJournal.com

Old 09-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #625
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
This person wants to be president.

And probably should be.

She's definitely one of the few rational voices I've heard on this particular subject.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #626
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You do realise that in Egypt they are assaulting / intimidating the press in what looks like a clear move to get the military in charge, right? Not a democracy? And it remains to be seen who moves into power in these other spots.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #627
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And probably should be.

She's definitely one of the few rational voices I've heard on this particular subject.

Interesting. So you weren't ok with the Egyptian people handling their own business? I'm actually not bashing you on this. It sounds like to me, that you think that keeping Mubarak in power in Egypt was better for stability in that region and America should have stepped in and helped keep him in power?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #628
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Interesting. So you weren't ok with the Egyptian people handling their own business? I'm actually not bashing you on this. It sounds like to me, that you think that keeping Mubarak in power in Egypt was better for stability in that region and America should have stepped in and helped keep him in power?

There's never a right answer for these kinds of things. Getting involved is bad. Allowing the wrong people to get into power is bad. It's impossible to see exactly how these things will play out. You make your best guess based on what you know and hope for the best. Hindsight is a bitch.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #629
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
There's never a right answer for these kinds of things. Getting involved is bad. Allowing the wrong people to get into power is bad. It's impossible to see exactly how these things will play out. You make your best guess based on what you know and hope for the best. Hindsight is a bitch.

I agree that hindsight is definitely a bitch. I think it's too early to tell exactly how things will pan out with all these uprisings, but, Bachmann sounds clueless by her statements on the Arab Spring. In addition to that, to bitch about how the government is spending too much money and then bitch about not stepping in to help Mubarak...does she think involving this country in another conflict would carry a zero price tag?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #630
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

At this point it appears that Egypt is likely to be ruled by the military with some powerless faceman. It's a bad outcome for democracy protestors, but it's basically the Mubarak government with a new face. Why would Bachmann be upset about that?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #631
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
At this point it appears that Egypt is likely to be ruled by the military with some powerless faceman. It's a bad outcome for democracy protestors, but it's basically the Mubarak government with a new face. Why would Bachmann be upset about that?

The Egypt quote is just a small portion of what she said. She equated what is going on with the other countries (the Arab Spring) as the same thing that is happening in Egypt. It's as if (well not really, I'm sure she doesn't know) she doesn't know that with all these uprisings in the middle east are not exactly alike. To paraphrase: She thinks they are all bad.

Last edited by JediKooter : 09-22-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #632
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I think a militarized leadership in Egypt with potential for misdirected populism is a really scary thought. You just have to wonder where they will come down on things such as the Israeli/Palestinian problems and what impact they might have on the rest of the middle east if it isn't pro-democracy (even if there is some false illusion of it).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #633
miked
College Starter

This chick is walking proof of why our kids are falling behind in education. Every time she opens her mouth, a puppy eats a kitten.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:59 AM   #635
flounder
High School Varsity

I like Gary Johnson a lot. He's Ron Paul without the crazy parts. Of course that's why he's only polling around 1%.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #636
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
The number of opportunities FOX allowed each candidate to speak:

Romney– 16
Perry– 11
Bachmann– 9
Huntsman– 9
Santorum– 9
Gingritch– 7
Cain– 7
Paul– 6
Johnson– 5

Despite trying to rig the debate in favor of their two chosen neocons who want to continue murdering hundreds of thousands of brown people, Ron Paul is destroying the others in the Fox poll concerning who won the debate.

Decades from now, when the history books are written, they'll say Ron Paul was the undisputed president of internet polls.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 AM   #637
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and once again, Ron Paul has no shot out side the Ronbots on the internet. His support pool is wide but oh so shallow
Old 09-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #638
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Booing the gay soldier was lovely.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #639
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Booing the gay soldier was lovely.

Perry/Romney: Continued war, continued trashing of gay rights
Obama: Strong on gay rights, continued war despite the Nobel Peace Prize
Paul: Actual commitment to withdrawal of troops, strong on gay rights (i.e. Congressional voting record actually shows this)

I do understand how fun it is to poke fun at a guy that actually supports many of your positions though! Maybe Romney will win the presidency and your lib cohorts can start complaining again about the stuff that they have been amazingly silent on the past 3 years.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #641
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ron Paul supports DOMA, so to say he is "strong" on gay rights is laughable at best, especially since that is the next battle being fought on that issue.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #642
JediKooter
Coordinator

Then there's that whole scientificy evolution thing that Paul has a problem with.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #644
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Perry/Romney: Continued war, continued trashing of gay rights
Obama: Strong on gay rights, continued war despite the Nobel Peace Prize
Paul: Actual commitment to withdrawal of troops, strong on gay rights (i.e. Congressional voting record actually shows this)

I do understand how fun it is to poke fun at a guy that actually supports many of your positions though! Maybe Romney will win the presidency and your lib cohorts can start complaining again about the stuff that they have been amazingly silent on the past 3 years.

And of course, even if we gave you this "supports many of your positions" nonsense, you conveniently leave out the many positions on which he is actually way worse than Romney, Perry, or any other Republican (see: almost any federal social program).

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #645
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The goldbug stuff is enough for me to write off Paul.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #647
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? He's polling 2nd in New Hampshire right now. He's raised more money than any of the other candidates. He's been the military favorite, probably has something to do with not sending them to murder brown people for no reason, for the last two Presidential election cycles.

Look at this article title from Yahoo news and tell me they aren't intentionally trying to ignore the one guy who will legitimately try to change things:

Poll: Romney leads New Hampshire, Huntsman in third, Perry in fourth - Yahoo! News

There is no possibility of Paul winning the nomination. That's not the media's fault, either. GOP voters don't like Paul. NH is his best state right now and he's being outpolled nearly three to one by Romney. He'll be lucky to break double digits in multiple primaries.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #648
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You mean those programs that the federal government has no Constitutional right to be involved in? Those programs either need to be part of a comprehensive Constitutional amendment or they need to be left to state/local government.

See, some people don't believe it's cut and dried like that.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #649
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
You mean those programs that the federal government has no Constitutional right to be involved in? Those programs either need to be part of a comprehensive Constitutional amendment or they need to be left to state/local government.

Not sure you're following the conversation. We can argue about the constitutionality of these programs until we're blue in the face. The point is that panerd was pointing out how we're supposed to love Paul for all that he agrees with us on, and I'm simply saying that Ron Paul's constitutional analysis of federal social programs is a polar opposite to what liberals believe and more extreme than any Republican candidate.