View Poll Results: Who do you make the #1 pick in the draft
Greg Oden 73 73.00%
Kevin Durant 22 22.00%
Darko Trouto 5 5.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You're on the clock with the #1 pick in the NBA Draft....

Poll forthcoming.

I am going to make the assumption that both Kevin Durant and Greg Oden will turn pro this offseason. Who is your selection?

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Durant is the better long term option. Oden would be an immediate fix in the middle.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Durant is the better long term option. Oden would be an immediate fix in the middle.

I think it is the opposite.

Durant will give you immedeate scoring but as Oden develops over time I think he could be a Ben Wallace type that can score.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I voted for Oden because he may not be as talented offensivley as Durant I think he'll be a 20/13/3 block guy playing against some of these Centers in the NBA.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

As far as projecting them as pros, its not even close. You take Oden, hands down. It is much easier to build a team around a good center than it is to build one around one of the top 2 or 3 small forwards in the league.

Durant is a wonderful college player but Oden is a much safer pick, without sacrificing any upside.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

always go with the defense if you want to win

unless you are danny ainge so book durant as the foolish choice if they get #1
Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As far as projecting them as pros, its not even close. You take Oden, hands down. It is much easier to build a team around a good center than it is to build one around one of the top 2 or 3 small forwards in the league.

Durant is a wonderful college player but Oden is a much safer pick, without sacrificing any upside.

"

Oden is NBA-ready defensively right now. That's very rare for a college center. And he's shown flashes (Monday night was the pinnacle) of being a special offensive player too.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The difference for me is in talent at the position. Durant is going to be a great player, but small forwards are probably the most available resource in the NBA. Oden will enter the league as one of the top ten centers and will only get better.

Oden is the pick because what he'll bring to the team is exceptionally difficult to find.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM   #9
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Oden easily. not only is he better and has more upside, but he plays in the toughest position to fill. As a Rockets fan i can tell you the enourmouse difference in between having a dominant low post player and not having one

its a no brainer, which is why ainge is thinking of taking durant

Last edited by bulletsponge : 04-04-2007 at 12:32 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oden, hands down. Durant won't be an NBA difference maker down the line in the same way Oden will.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-04-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #11
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Oden but I think Durant has potential to be a superstar...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Come back, Greg! Ohio loves you, in a totally manly heterosexual brotherly-type fashion!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Agreed. Durant will be awesome, but Oden is a great talent at a much more difficult position to fill.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Joakim Noah, because I was told by the media last season he was the number one guy then and he can only be better because he won another national title. And his poodle hair is dreamy.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am going to go with Oden as well though I am worried about how the NBA's turn from a post oriented league to a wing oriented league will affect him.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am going to go with Oden as well though I am worried about how the NBA's turn from a post oriented league to a wing oriented league will affect him.
The NBA going wing-oriented is not by choice, but by necessity for lack of good big men since Tim Duncan. NBA execs will always take a good big man when they have the chance over a good wing-man.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

Mike Conley!

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
lack of good big men since Tim Duncan.

*cough*Yao Ming*cough*

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
rowech
Pro Starter

I think it depends on who picks. If you have someone who can already score at the 1-3 spots, you go with Oden. If you have nobody who can really score, I think you go with Durant. Oden is clearly the better defensive player though which is definitely a point in his favor.

Just looking at the standings, it looks like the #1 would most likely go to Memphis, Boston, or Milwaukee. I think Boston and Milwaukee definitely woudl take Oden. Memphis I don't think is as clear.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
Easy Mac

OJ Mayo... I'd draft him and wait a year. Did you see that throw into the stands after his dunk? That's how you end a game, not by throwing it straight into the air so your opponent can hit a three. That's NBA savvy.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Darko Trouto lol
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #22
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Just looking at the standings, it looks like the #1 would most likely go to Memphis, Boston, or Milwaukee. I think Boston and Milwaukee definitely woudl take Oden. Memphis I don't think is as clear.

I don't think Memphis would even consider Durant. They already have Warrick, Miller, and Gay rotating through the positions Durant would be playing and they have no presence in the post. Milwaukee is the one team that I think would at least think about Durant. It would depend on how convinced they are Bogat is going to be a dominant low post threat. But pairing Durant with Redd would probably make them the worst defensive team in the NBA.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #23
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Milwakee and Memphis will take Oden faster than your head could spin. trust me Bogut would just be moved to PF. and Gasol plays the center position would be a much better PF if Odom was there. Even the team i follow (the Rockets) would take Odom, because whats better than 1 dominating low post player? 2 dominating low post players

Last edited by bulletsponge : 04-04-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52 PM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The big difference I see between the two is that Oden will be a C, that's it. I don't think he could hang playing PF. Durant can play all 5 positions on the court, which give a coach a lot of flexibility. You can really give the other team fits with various schemes that move Durant around.

But I'm getting the feeling more and more that he is going to be back for a Sophomore season. A couple of days ago it was 50/50, now I'm staying 60/40 towards staying.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #25
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

IMO, Greg Oden is a future Shaq who can hit free throws. That alone is enough to make him the number one pick in any draft I could make a choice in.

Durant seems to have the desire to be great, and I think he becomes the next Garnett when he gets a few years under his belt, but as has been mentioned, every other position seems so much easier to find than a good Center.

Even if Durant is in my position of greatest need, I take Oden unless I already have the best Center in the game. (In which case I probably wouldn't be picking this high in the first place).

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #26
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Durant can play all 5 positions on the court, which give a coach a lot of flexibility.

He can play SF in the NBA. Thats it. Unless he does some serious work in the weight room and works on his post game, he won't be playing any other position except for rare occasions.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He can play SF in the NBA. Thats it. Unless he does some serious work in the weight room and works on his post game, he won't be playing any other position except for rare occasions.

And that what I think he realizes as well, and will be a big deciding factor if he comes back to UT next season.

As for all the people raving about Oden's size, he is nowhere near Shaq's size. Shaq has 3 inches and 50 pounds on Oden. Even at LSU Shaq was 305. Oden is closer in size to Nowitzki (same height, Oden has 25 more pounds) than he is to Shaq.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #28
Groundhog
Coordinator

I take Oden every time. A guy like Durant comes along every couple of years, where as a guy like Oden comes around every... well, when was the last time a guy like Oden came around, 1997?

Last edited by Groundhog : 04-04-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #29
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I take Oden every time. A guy like Durant comes along every couple of years, where as a guy like Oden comes around every... well, when was the last time a guy like Oden came around, 1997?

Dwight Howard?

knives out
Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Mike Conley!

Do you think Conley is an NBA PG though? He sorta feels more like a Marcus Banks kind of player to me.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #31
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Do you think Conley is an NBA PG though? He sorta feels more like a Marcus Banks kind of player to me.

Wow, I think that's insane. I think Conley's going to be great - maybe better than Chris Paul.

knives out
Old 04-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Dwight Howard?

That may not be such a bad comparison, but Oden is about 25lbs heavier than Howard, and a shade taller too.

Hopefully Oden goes to a team that can get him more than 7 shots a night, too.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #33
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
The NBA going wing-oriented is not by choice, but by necessity for lack of good big men since Tim Duncan. NBA execs will always take a good big man when they have the chance over a good wing-man.

They may take the chance on the big man but that big man better not slow the game down. The league made rule changes to encourage more of an up and down game. That type of game is more conducive to wing players as opposed to big guys who play down in the post. If Dallas or Phoenix win the championship this year, you could see more teams going with that sort of style. I am not sure his game is conducive to an up and down style of play where he will have to be more fleet of foot and play more in the high post as opposed to a slower pace where he will get the opportunities to set up on the block and play his game from there.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #34
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, I think that's insane. I think Conley's going to be great - maybe better than Chris Paul.

I love him at the college level, but I think he needs to stay in school for at least one more season. I think he's got crazy jets on him, but the rest of his game is still very unpolished.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM   #35
Izulde
Head Coach

Given the dearth of quality centers, you're a moron if you don't take Oden.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I love him at the college level, but I think he needs to stay in school for at least one more season. I think he's got crazy jets on him, but the rest of his game is still very unpolished.

I don't watch a lot of basketball, I only saw him play about three times before the tournament. But I never once remember him picking up his dribble. His handle is better than half the point guards in the NBA right now.

knives out
Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #37
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looking at nbadraft.net (and remembering that the draft is still far enough away to render mock drafts useless), it might be a good opportunity for Conley to declare. The next best PG prospects are Acie Law from Texas A&M and Aaron Brooks out of Oregon - both very clearly 2nd tier selections. Conley would be mad *not* to declare all things considered.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM   #38
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

especially considering some of the potential PG prospects for next season (Darren Collison, Derrick Rose).
Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #39
rowech
Pro Starter

Conley is a stud for anyone who doubts it. Kid is unbelievably quick and is super smart with the basketball.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #40
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Oden is the man.. Conley is a true PG that needs to work on his shot to get him to the next level. I wish the Pacers could get both Oden and Conley.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #41
Tigercat
College Starter

As stated before, there aren't that many talented true centers in the league. As good as Durant looks, you just can't pass up Oden in my mind.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #42
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
As stated before, there aren't that many talented true centers in the league. As good as Durant looks, you just can't pass up Oden in my mind.

The Trailblazers had the same line of thinking back in the 1984 draft.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #43
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am pleasantly suprised by the results so far. Good to see the big guys getting some love.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #44
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh no, you didn't just compare Durant to Jordan, did you?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Oh no, you didn't just compare Durant to Jordan, did you?

That's not a fair comparison. Jordan never won a player of the year award in college. Durant swept them this season...

Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM   #46
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

I was more pointing out the line of thinking that you have to take a big guy over a multi-talented shooter.

Last edited by cartman : 04-04-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #47
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am normally the one that would take the big guy in this very rare instance I find Durant too talented to pass up. I think Durant will be one of them rare LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett types. I dont pass on that. Lets just say I wouldnt mind having the #2 pick either, Oden is going to dominate on the defensive side of the ball.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #48
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Quote:

what better, greg oden or sam bowie??
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

who younger, greg oden or sam bowie?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #50
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:

The rockets did ok with the same thinking...The rule should be, don't take big guys who stink.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote