Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #151
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I came across a job today that interested me, but required a driver's license, so I called to inquire as to how strict that requirement was and I was told it was quite strict, so no dice.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Checking once again the websites. No luck so far, and I'm about halfway through.

-Anxiety

Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #153
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There's sort of a reverse phenomenon going on here. In America, a lot of housing jobs open up in the summer, but few during the school year. With this job search, there were a lot of good prospects theref or a bit, but few these days. Maybe a bunch will get posted in the next month, as semesters end. That's my hope at least.

-Anxiety

Old 04-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #154
3ric
College Starter

Keep up the good work, hope it pays off eventually...
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM   #155
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I hope so too

I just submitted a new application for the LSBU Residence Manager position, which is due on Friday, so I turned it in two days early. [/crosses fingers] Here's hoping.

-Anxiety

Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #156
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Just checking in...good luck!
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #157
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Has anyone over there shown the least bit of interest in you? If not, I think I would change my approach. Perhaps take a leave of absense and go over there for a month and provide them with a local (as oppose to a US) to where you can be reached.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #158
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Has anyone over there shown the least bit of interest in you? If not, I think I would change my approach. Perhaps take a leave of absense and go over there for a month and provide them with a local (as oppose to a US) to where you can be reached.

Not yet. I keep hoping though!

I searched today, my typical Monday search, and I found a job. A Deputy Residence Manager. It's a live out position for just 21k. I don't think I could do that. I could probably get away with a live IN position for 21k, but not live out.

-Anxiety

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #159
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I did another sweep through the websites, trolling for job postings of any relevance to my experience, and came up empty.

-Anxiety

Old 04-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #160
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Best New Yet Folks!!!!!

I received an e-mail today from Londond South bank Univeristy. I am on the Short List for the Residence Manager position!

Here is the e-mail:

"Dear Abe,

I would like to inform you that you have been shortlist for the above
post and your interview time will be on Monday 8th May 2006 at 2.00
pm.

I look forward to hearing from you. The original is in the post."

Does this mean that I am to call her, or she will call me? What does "the original is in the post" mean? (In the mail, I assume, but what is the original?)

Thanks for your help!

-Anxiety

Old 04-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #161
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
Best New Yet Folks!!!!!

I received an e-mail today from Londond South bank Univeristy. I am on the Short List for the Residence Manager position!

Here is the e-mail:

"Dear Abe,

I would like to inform you that you have been shortlist for the above
post and your interview time will be on Monday 8th May 2006 at 2.00
pm.

I look forward to hearing from you. The original is in the post."

Does this mean that I am to call her, or she will call me? What does "the original is in the post" mean? (In the mail, I assume, but what is the original?)

Thanks for your help!

-Anxiety

Apt handle given the tone of the post

We Brits don't like official things being done by e-mail, so will often post (mail) hard copy (i.e. typed letter on official letterhead) as confirmation - this is the what the 'original is in the post' refers to.

Unless stated otherwise, I think they expect you to attend for a personal interview at 2pm on 8th May...

edit: congrats by the way - first shortlist

Last edited by AlexB : 04-28-2006 at 12:25 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #162
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts
Apt handle given the tone of the post

We Brits don't like official things being done by e-mail, so will often post (mail) hard copy (i.e. typed letter on official letterhead) as confirmation - this is the what the 'original is in the post' refers to.

Unless stated otherwise, I think they expect you to attend for a personal interview at 2pm on 8th May...

edit: congrats by the way - first shortlist

So wait, this is a personal interview? Are they going to be paying my way or do I have to do so myself?

Typically, how many people make the cut for jobs on the initial shortlist?

Wow.

I should call on Monday, shouldn't I?

-Anxiety

Old 04-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #163
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I should call on Monday, shouldn't I?

-Anxiety

Probably best

Doubt very much if they will be paying your expenses - if they do I will be well pissed off, as I've been trying to get them to buy £12k worth of cricket facilities for the past year, and the guy keeps telling me they're skint! So if they can pay interviewees to fly the Atlantic I'll have to have words...

As to the number that make an interview it varies wildly - some will interview everyone of interest, some will ask a certain number regardless of number of applicants: can't help you on that one I'm afraid.

Good luck with this - my guess is they either haven't worked out through the e-mail correspondence that your Stateside, or that the e-mail is a brief standard response fired out to all people they wish to interview, and they have forgotten to amend yours to say telephone interview.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #164
Kalypso
n00b

Congrats and good luck!
Kalypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:46 PM   #165
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
[So wait, this is a personal interview? Are they going to be paying my way or do I have to do so myself?

I find it hard to believe that you would expect the former. It is not a high enough paying job for them to be burden with the cost of interviewing a non-citizen from the US, not to mention the extra hassles of a work permit and such. When we score applicants that are out-of-state, we factor in the extra cost (of moving, time, etc.) into the evaluation. In other words, such a candidate must score that much better (in comparison to someone local) in order to be worthwhile for the company. Good luck, at least it's something.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 04-29-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #166
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I find it hard to believe that you would expect the former.

Really? To fly me on the day before and return me the day after (7th-9th) to somewhere else in the States costs between 600-700 depending on destination. In a quick search, I just found a hotel and flight package to London for the same days for 980, just 300 more and that includes hotel for two nights as well.

It doesn't seem that pricey to me.

-Anxiety

Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #167
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's true but I doubt the other short-listed candidates would cost that much to interview. But we'll know tomorrow. If they are willing to do that, then that would be a good sign.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #168
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Yesterday was a British holiday so I spoke with the H&R representative on the phone just now. I found it to be very discouraging.

I am one of nine candidates to get this interview, and they will hire one of us. As such, the chance of me being the best candidate is just 11%, by the numbers.

They will not do a phone interview, just a personal one. That means I would have to fly the Atlantic on my own dime in order to get an interview that, at best, I have an 11% chance of being the best candidate.

EVen if I am the best candidate, there is some doubt if they would offer me the job, because of my international status.

And finally, the H&R rep said that the likelihood of me getting an work permit for this job is small. They have applied for work permits for similar jobs in teh past and been turned down.

All of which puts me at a crossroads.

Is this just a pipe dream? Should I send an e-mail to LSBU thanking them for the opportunity but declining the interview? Should I decide to end my hopes of ever living and working in London? Or should I put out a thousand of my own dollars to interview for a job that, frankly, I probably won't be offered and even if I am I probably won't get a work permit for according to this H&R rep?

Is this all just a dream?

-Anxiety

Old 05-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #169
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I made the suggestion earlier about "living" over there for a month during the time where they do a lot of interviewing/hiring. You have not been getting a foot in the door because of the distance involved, not to mention needing a work permit. That's 2 strikes against you when they, assumably, have a pool of viable candidates (including meeting EEO criteria) at their doorsteps already. Being over there ready for interviews would reduce one strike against you. As far as the other strike, it all depends how badly you want to do this (i.e., become a UK citizen).
Old 05-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #170
ice4277
Pro Rookie

To tie on with what Bucc said, going over for the interview and spending an extra week or two afterwards putting out some feelers in person would not be a bad idea. It will be costly and time-consuming of course, but to do something like this requires a pretty big investment.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #171
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I would be happy to be there for a few weeks, but the problem is that there are no guarantees that there would even be job openings that I would be qualified enough for in order to get a work permit and an interview.

-Anxiety

Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #172
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I would be happy to be there for a few weeks, but the problem is that there are no guarantees that there would even be job openings that I would be qualified enough for in order to get a work permit and an interview.

-Anxiety

Have you thought about trying for a job that may not be in your field, but would be more likely to land you a work permit? It could help you get established, and presumably give you more options looking for something more to your liking.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #173
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After reviewing the literature and talking with people with experience in this, the greatest chnace of one getting a work permit lies in experience in the field. They say that it is the easiest to claim that no one applied from Britain as good as the international candidate when that candidate has a lot of experience. That's why I thought a hosuing job would be a good fit, not only do I have tons of experience, which should help me get hired, but I also have tons of experience, which should help me get a work permit.

-Anxiety

Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #174
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I sent an email to the HR rep asking for a phone interview, if they would be willing. I was waiting for her response before updating this dynasty.

I did not receive it until this morning when I woke up to do the interview. She had e-mailed me today saying no interview over phone could be conducted, which wasn't much of a surprise, really, although I had expected her to get back with me earlier.

-Anxiety