Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #351
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Agree on skill, but I kinda feel like at least Kemba deserves some credit for sticking with this team when a lot of others didn't, when he had a lot more to lose than he did win.

Australia has an interesting decision for the Olympics re: Ben Simmons and Jonah Bolden as well, given how this squad has gone. Hard to see a player like Simmons slotting into the offense the Boomers have been running, although I could see him working similar to what we've seen Bogut doing, but it would mean a lot less ball handling for Ben than he's used to. Jonah may have burnt his bridges by pulling out of the squad so quickly a week before the tourney.
I love Kemba as a teammate & competitor. I guess you might as well keep him as #11 next to Marcus instead of Harrison Barnes or Khris Middleton if better wings play. Btw, I guess I have moved on if I didn't even think of Kyrie as an option as a small offensive first guard!

What did he stand to lose though? He's spent the last decade losing to better teams & being a second/third tier guy, I think this only gave him the chance to up his reputation.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-11-2019 at 10:46 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #352
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I love Kemba as a teammate & competitor. I guess you might as well keep him as #11 next to Marcus instead of Harrison Barnes or Khris Middleton if better wings play. Btw, I guess I have moved on if I didn't even think of Kyrie as an option as a small offensive first guard!

What did he stand to lose though? He's spent the last decade losing to better teams & being a second/third tier guy, I think this only gave him the chance to up his reputation.

I think he takes a hit on the same metric that caused guys to drop out because they were afraid they'd lose minutes to other guys - social media clout. You can be a great player on a bad team like Kemba has been all his career and still be on trend because the regular season is basically just a social media highlight reel until the real season begins. He was the best play on what should have been (raw talent-wise) the best team even with the guys who showed up. It might be a relative small hit to his rep, but it's still a hit I think.

He deserves some credit, along with the other guys, for actually showing up and competing, and to me he was consistently the most impressive guy on the court for USA. Just from watching this USA team play I feel better about the Celtics' chances with him at the point. I had doubts how he would do surrounded by better talent than he's had in Charlotte, but I'm now thinking he'll be as effective (or more) in Boston with a much better supporting cast.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #353
JPhillips
General Manager

Fertitta and now the NBA taking the side of the Chinese communist government is unsurprising, but disappointing.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #354
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Fertitta and now the NBA taking the side of the Chinese communist government is unsurprising, but disappointing.

My perception of the relationship between Fertitta and Morey makes me believe that this was the quickest way to leave the Rockets with his reputation intact. That is not to say he does not believe in the cause. I just don’t think Fertitta is the guy he signed up to work for.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #355
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Threaten to move the all-star game from Charlotte over a bathroom issue, fine.
James Harden basically getting on his knees and asking for forgiveness from the Chinese gov't? 30 pieces of silver right there from the NBA.

At least there are politicians on both sides chastising the NBA for their response.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #356
Logan
Head Coach

Impossible. I thought the NBA was perfect and the shining beacon of how all things should be handed.

What would Goodell have done???
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #357
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Bad look for the NBA here. It's one thing to try and stay above the political fray. But they went ahead and dove in and then picked the wrong side.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #358
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And China is still canceling G League exhibition games. Give a mouse a cookie...
Old 10-08-2019, 02:30 AM   #359
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like Morey but he totally should be fired. What a fuck up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:20 AM   #360
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I like Morey but he totally should be fired. What a fuck up.

Eh, he still has value to the team in the short term (trades, late season buyout pickups etc.) so I think he will stick around for this season. I expect both parties to separate at the end of the season. For now he will as he has been told and just shut up and GM.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #361
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The NBA has been on the "woke" side of domestic social justice issues because their fan base agrees with them on that point. So they have been able to do the smart thing business wise and look progressive at the same time. Sort of like someone who doesn't like sweets painting themselves as virtuous for skipping dessert.

I am sure that the NFL guys are having a hearty chuckle watching the NBA have to confront a situation where its business interests conflict with doing the "right" thing. Turns out that that is not so easy after all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #362
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am sort of surprised that Morey has not done a sit down interview as yet a la Jimmy Butler from last year with the T-Wolves. A conversation with his fellow Northwestern alum Rachel Nichols to try and smooth things over maybe? I do understand why the Rockets and/or the NBA may not want Morey to say another word. but history has proven that Morey is not afraid of a microphone or ten.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #363
JPhillips
General Manager

If capitalism means adopting the preferences of authoritarian regimes in order to turn profit, we need to rethink a lot of our foreign policy assumptions.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #364
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He didn't say something offensive, he took a position on a polarizing topic. Ownership took the opposite side, Adam Silver is trying to middle it now, but even if he's willing to do it past his Twitter apology Morey groveling would only annoy one side (the more American one).

NBA wants to be global & inclusive, but they're still American based & curtailing free speech when it's in support of a classical American ideal doesn't seem like a winning long term strategy. PS I need people to start asking Gregg Popovich questions about this...
Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though on some level, the NBA may be betting on the short attention span of the American audience... which they are likely pretty smart in doing.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #366
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think all of this China shit is just China being China, but is there any chance that China is sticking it to the NBA a little bit extra because of Trump and his policies with them?
Old 10-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #367
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Though on some level, the NBA may be betting on the short attention span of the American audience... which they are likely pretty smart in doing.
Indeed (especially during football season), but that's even more reason to have Morey just stay out of the spotlight instead of giving some big interview on ESPN/ABC & keeping the issue front & center.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #368
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
If capitalism means adopting the preferences of authoritarian regimes in order to turn profit, we need to rethink a lot of our foreign policy assumptions.

Not trying to "what about..." this, but based on Google's dealings in China we are already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He didn't say something offensive, he took a position on a polarizing topic. Ownership took the opposite side, Adam Silver is trying to middle it now, but even if he's willing to do it past his Twitter apology Morey groveling would only annoy one side (the more American one).

NBA wants to be global & inclusive, but they're still American based & curtailing free speech when it's in support of a classical American ideal doesn't seem like a winning long term strategy. PS I need people to start asking Gregg Popovich questions about this...

I am talking more about an interview catering TO the American audience.

Quote:

I agree this is the smart play. However, I take you to the open letter from the Nets' new owner Joseph Tsai

Quote:
I hope to help the League to move on from this incident. I will continue to be an outspoken NBA Governor on issues that are important to China. I ask that our Chinese fans keep the faith in what the NBA and basketball can do to unite people from all over the world.

I don't think Tsai is going to sacrifice the value of his team to defend China, but this could be the first of [insert number here] times where the NBA's opinions on China issues may be sought.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #369
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think all of this China shit is just China being China, but is there any chance that China is sticking it to the NBA a little bit extra because of Trump and his policies with them?

It probably plays a part, but IMO it's much more related directly to what's going on in HK at the moment.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #370
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A whole lot of kerfluffle created by someone offering an opinion on something about which their opinion mattered not one iota.

Right, wrong, good, bad, whatever ... Morey needs a reality check as bad as a lot of players.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #371
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ben Simmons made a 3.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #372
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

An example of what I talked about earlier.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#ff8f08a322b6
Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #373
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
An example of what I talked about earlier.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#ff8f08a322b6

There are a ton of companies doing this. The whole point of selling to authoritarian markets was that our values would permeate their societies, but if the opposite is happening, that's a real problem.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #374
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
There are a ton of companies doing this. The whole point of selling to authoritarian markets was that our values would permeate their societies, but if the opposite is happening, that's a real problem.

I guess that is where we differ. Companies have proven to me that selling to authoritarian markets are just about trying to make money.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #375
JPhillips
General Manager

Now the NBA is controlling speech here in the USA. China's values are the NBA's values now. Companies aren't just doing what China wants, in China, but they are exporting those demands to other markets.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #376
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess that is where we differ. Companies have proven to me that selling to authoritarian markets are just about trying to make money.

Did anybody ever honestly believe otherwise?

If so, where do they store all those copies of the Brooklyn Bridge they own?
Old 10-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #377
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seriously.

Capitalism has no moral values. It only exists to make money. And it can and will function in whatever form of government exists.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:19 PM   #378
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is exactly why we should not look to companies to provide a moral compass.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #379
JPhillips
General Manager

We don't have to accept that, though.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #380
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
We don't have to accept that, though.

Why should a company provide a moral compass?

I agree that a well run organization should run a moral and ethical business. However, isn't what most of us disagree about is what is ethical and moral and what are our obligations to that?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #381
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

I agree that a well run organization should run a moral and ethical business. However, isn't what most of us disagree about is what is ethical and moral and what are our obligations to that?

Because research is increasingly showing that the Millennial and Gen-Z markets are interested in companies with an ethos who reflects their own beliefs? (This is true across the spectrum BTW).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #382
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Because research is increasingly showing that the Millennial and Gen-Z markets are interested in companies with an ethos who reflects their own beliefs? (This is true across the spectrum BTW).

I would argue that applies across all age groups. The difference is that a lot of those companies' policies are more well known because of the internet. I mean look at the people who are boycotting Dick's Sporting Goods for not selling guns - those aren't millennials and Gen-Z folks doing it.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #383
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I would argue that applies across all age groups. The difference is that a lot of those companies' policies are more well known because of the internet. I mean look at the people who are boycotting Dick's Sporting Goods for not selling guns - those aren't millennials and Gen-Z folks doing it.

True. I don't have the studies to hand, but I was just speaking to the generations I'd seen actual research on.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #384
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hope Morey tells LeBron to shut up and dribble
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #385
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

So why aren't we seeing companies to represent both sides on some of these issues?
Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #386
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
True. I don't have the studies to hand, but I was just speaking to the generations I'd seen actual research on.

Yeah, this came up in our college strategic planning meeting yesterday. The current generation of students, in particular, wants to associate and work with companies that reflect their values and provide meaning to their work.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #387
bob
College Starter

Yep, but then those kids graduate and have to pay bills. The Yuppie Nuremberg Defense exists as a term for a reason.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #388
bob
College Starter

NBA Quietly Waiting For NFL To Fuck Up And Take Some Heat Off
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM   #389
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who hasn’t signed an extension yet?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #390
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think I mentioned this here before when the Sixers traded for Butler. I am not sure if you have a title winning team with Jimmy Butler as the lead guy. I also don't know if he is the guy to attract someone else to team with. I guess we will see. Now in the Jokes Dept

Maybe I know less about Jimmy Butler than Pat Riley and/or Erik Spoelstra.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #391
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Maybe I know less about Jimmy Butler than Pat Riley and/or Erik Spoelstra.
Jimmy Butler ain't the lead guy, Bam is... (and will have to be if they want to beat AD/LeBron). But yes it does appear Butler finally found a team (& 2nd superstar) he doesn't think are soft for the first time since the Bulls. Last night's 4th quarter sucked, but I'll be rooting for them vs the Lakers for sure!
Old 09-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #392
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer

Time for one of my favorite modern quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Sinek
People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it.

I think we're going to continue to see the trend of companies pandering in their marketing to whatever they think the largest share of their customer base is. Which will be radically different for various industries and sometimes even companies within the same industry. I'm cynical enough on modern business culture - having been personally told myriads of times that it's impossible to have honesty/integrity and succeed at least in certain businesses, and glad to not have to fight that battle anymore - that I don't think this is about actually having a moral compass. It's about being able to successfully market what will often amount to brazen lies about what your moral compass is, and do effective enough damage control/hide your failings in those areas. Not true everywhere of course - but it's true in one whale of a lot of places.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote