Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #51
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Guess the crock pot ham sucked.

On a side note, I just came across a recipe for slow-cooker jambalaya, and was wondering if anybody had thoughts on what to substitute for the shrimp (I'm very allergic). I want to keep the meat/other stuff ratio the same, but also to impart the same amount of fat and "liquid" with whatever I substitute for the shrimp. Thoughts on substitutions?

2 skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts cut into slices
1 lb Spicy Sausage, sliced
1 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes with juice
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 Cup Celery, chopped
1 Cup Chicken Stock
2 Teaspoons Oregano
2 Teaspoons Parsley
2 Teaspoons Cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
1 lb Shrimp, peeled and deveined

Instructions:
Coat the slow cooker casserole with cooking spray. Combine all of the ingredients except the shrimp, stir, and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Stir in the shrimp and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #52
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't cook, but I love hearing about what's in terpkristin's recipe box.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #53
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Nothing but good things from what I read.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You could always try imitation crab but if you're allergic to all shellfish, then that probably won't work.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #55
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

TK: Scallops? Gives you the shellfish aspect and cooking time should be similar.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #56
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
TK: Scallops? Gives you the shellfish aspect and cooking time should be similar.

Actually, as we discovered on a late-night flying a satellite one night, I'm allergic to them, too. Shellfish for sure, enough that cross-contamination can cause a problem.

/tk
Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #57
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Guess the crock pot ham sucked.

Actually it didn't...I just forgot to post it up on here....Very Simple recipe for the ham and the crock pot.

2 cups of brown sugar packed on the bottom of the pot...place the Ham on top of it and I used 1 cup of warm water and let it cook.

While I checked on it...if I needed more water I added it...at most I might have added another 1/4 cup.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #58
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, as we discovered on a late-night flying a satellite one night, I'm allergic to them, too. Shellfish for sure, enough that cross-contamination can cause a problem.

You're probably out of luck then, unfortunately. I don't really know of any reasonable non-shellfish substitute for shrimp. But I'll bet if you do it just without shrimp it'll still be good.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #59
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So shrimp doesn't impart any fat or anything, just flavor and a bit more to chew? Never cooked it, so just wanted to make sure. Looking forward to trying this recipe, hopefully next weekend.

/tk
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #60
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, shrimp is probably going to impart a bit of a briny flavor, and obviously some protein mass, but IMO you're not going to miss it. FTR I've made jambalaya a few times and never with shrimp. I'm sure that's not "genuine" but, whatever....
Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #61
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've never tried it, but there are "vegan" shrimp alternatives that are available.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #62
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
So shrimp doesn't impart any fat or anything, just flavor and a bit more to chew? Never cooked it, so just wanted to make sure. Looking forward to trying this recipe, hopefully next weekend.

/tk

AFAIK shrimp are really pretty low in fat (but high in cholesterol, go figure), and their flavor isn't of the kind that is going to 'leak' into the other parts of your jambalaya (at least not enough to notice over the stronger flavors), so removing the shrimp likely won't effect the cooking or the flavor (other than the obvious absence of the skrimps themselves).

Cooked shrimp, contrary to what you might think, actually have a somewhat sweet, rather than briny flavor, and I'd consider subbing some ham, cutting it into thumb-sized pieces, which has a similar salty sweetness, and somewhat similar texture. I dunno if I'd use a full pound of ham though, since it's saltier, already cooked, and unlikely to shrink like the shrimp would....maybe half a pound, or just eye it to measure up to the (cooked) chicken and sausage. I'd still add it at the last 30 minutes, like the shrimp, since it's already cooked/cured.

Also: I have issues about chicken breast. As far as fat and flavor go, I implore you to use dark meat.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-12-2010 at 04:10 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #63
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Well, shrimp is probably going to impart a bit of a briny flavor, and obviously some protein mass

Definitely don't ask the board for what you could use for a protein mass substitution....
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #64
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Also: I have issues about chicken breast. As far as fat and flavor go, I implore you to use dark meat.

I have the same thoughts, though I think I'll try the recipe as-written once then modify. I've already thought about using bone-in breasts instead of boneless/skinless or bone-in thighs...

/tk
Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #65
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Copied from my blog...

Now that Lent's officially started, one thing I've "given up" for Lent is meat. In doing this, I hoped to in part try out some recipes I've had for awhile and never tried, and also pick up some new recipes. One of the former category of recipes was something I found on Epicurious (I think) ages ago for a pasta e fagioli "soup" that was originally printed in Bon Appetit magazine in July, 1990. I've only ever had pasta e fagioli at places like Olive Garden, so I don't really know anything about traditional preparations, but the recipe as I found it seemed like it wouldn't be much of a soup or even a stew, but a sauce. Also, when I copied the recipe, I noted that some commenters on it said that they would add any of the following: 1 lb. of browned bulk sausage, and/or 16 oz. of hot water or broth. So the recipe I made is below, where it's an addition to the original recipe, I've noted it:

Ingredients
olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (my addition)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 16-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, chopped (reserve liquid)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
pinch of red pepper flakes (my addition)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed & drained
Salt and pepper
8 ounces ditalini pasta freshly cooked (I used ditalini, they recommended elbow macaroni)
16 ounces vegetable broth (my addition based on the commenter recommendation)
Grated Parmesan

Directions
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions start to turn translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes. Add parsley, basil and oregano and simmer until tomatoes soften, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. After about 10 minutes, I added half of the broth, as the tomato mixture was starting to look like it needed liquid to simmer some more. Once the tomatoes are soft (about 15 minutes of simmering), add reserved tomato liquid, broth, and beans and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Place pasta in bowl. Toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Pour sauce over and toss thoroughly. Serve, passing Parmesan separately.

This turned out really tasty, if not quite as "soupy" as I expected. I think even 8 ounces of noodles is too much--next time I make this, I'm going to use only 4 ounces. It definitely would have been tasty with some bulk hot Italian sausage, or vegetarian substitute, but as I had no vegetarian sausage substitute on hand, I did without. I think it may have also benefited from a smidge more tomato, either via some tomato sauce added to the simmer, or a few extra whole peeled tomatoes (and their juices).

/tk
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #66
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

TK's recipe above reminded me of two recipes I meant to throw in here. The first is based on a different Olive Garden soup, the Zuppa Toscana. I grabbed this recipe from hxxp://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes/olive-garden-zuppa-toscana.html and I think it's better than Olive Garden's by far. I like it spicy, so I add a bit of cayenne but otherwise I made no adjustments.

Makes: 6-8 servings INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lb ground Italian sausage
  • 1½ tsp crushed red peppers
  • 1 large diced white onion
  • 4 Tbsp bacon pieces
  • 2 tsp garlic puree
  • 10 cups water
  • 5 cubes of chicken bouillon
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 lb sliced Russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
  • ¼ of a bunch of kale
  1. Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
  2. In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
  3. Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
  4. Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
  5. Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
  6. Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve. Delicious!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #67
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

This is a crab bisque/soup recipe that I adapted from one on All Recipes. It is terrific with a nice, soft french bread to dip.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (1.25 ounce) envelope hollandaise
sauce mix
4 cups half-and-half, divided
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning TM
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 cup whipping cream
2 1/2 tablespoons cooking sherry (I upped this from 1 tablespoon)

5 ounces fresh crabmeat (I cut this down from 1 pound...way too much)
cayenne pepper to taste (again, I enjoy some kick)

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, blend flour and hollandaise sauce mix with 2 cups half-and-half.
2. Melt butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add hollandaise mixture, stirring constantly until thickened. Add remaining half-and-half, Old Bay, dry mustard, celery seed, and whipping cream. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Add crabmeat and sherry, stirring gently until warmed through. Add cayenne pepper until there is a nice, gentle heat. Serve immediately.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My step mother's famous pork roast!

Pork loin, about 2-2.5 lbs
2 packets of McCormick Au Jus (or 1 packed if Knorr)
Onion flakes
Garlic salt
Pepper
Olive Oil

Rub pork loin with garlic salt and pepper and brown in some olive oil.

Once browned, make au jus according to package directions and pour into roaster, add pork, onion flakes, more garlic salt.

Bake at 325 for about 2.5-3 hours.

Mmmm... yummy!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #69
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I might have to try that. My wife is kindof picky with pork loin and I find it deceptively hard to cook (hard to get both a good flavor and keep it juicy without drying it out).

SI

Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #70
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I might have to try that. My wife is kindof picky with pork loin and I find it deceptively hard to cook (hard to get both a good flavor and keep it juicy without drying it out).

SI

This does the trick! Just put in a small enough roasting pan that it can absorb some of the au jus.

I usually make mashed potatoes with it and take the juices and make a gravy to go along with it.

I love it because it's so easy to make and the meat is juicy and tender.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Something that I bought recently and have fallen in love with is a pressure cooker, you can cook stuff that takes hours in much less time and everything we've made has been great thus far, pork shoulder, corned beef, etc.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #72
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

I was just having a discussion about that this weekend with a friend. The lean cuts of beef and especially pork IMO can in some cases be harder to cook, more expensive, and less flavorful than the fattier cuts. As a novice cook, I've always tended towards the leaner cuts, thinking simply "if it's more expensive, it must be better" which isn't always the case when you take into account your (my) cooking abilities, and environment.

I've fucked up my share of pork loin (and pork chops for that matter), but when you get it right it sure is tasty....I'm beginning to think the thing with any semi-large piece o' pork is you just gotta slow cook it (as in Mizzourah's recipe below) with either fat or liquid, or else it just turns out dry and kinda chalky and bland. I've started to really love pork shoulder/butt, it's cheap and tasty, you just have to allow a good 3-6 hours to slow cook it...and it's probably not the best for you fatwise, but it sure is yums.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #73
Groundhog
Coordinator

Seriously, this Japanese sake ginger sauce is to die for:

1/2 cup sake
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
2 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
A dash of red chili pepper flakes (leave this out if you don't want it hot... me personally, I put in more than a dash!)
1/4 cup white sugar

Leave some salmon steaks marinating in that sauce overnight, and you've got yourself something simple yet completely delicious. I've tried it with pork and lamb and it was equally awesome.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #74
DanGarion
Coordinator

Here are a couple website articles I've used in the past for cooking beef...

Turn a cheap steak into a great steak
Steak: How to Turn Cheap “Choice” Steak into Gucci “Prime” Steak — Recipes Steamy Kitchen

Cook a great stean in an oven
Cook a Great Steak in the Oven, Skip the Freezing Temperatures Outside - Food - Lifehacker

Affordable Steak cuts
9 Affordable Steaks And How To Grill Them - The Consumerist
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #75
Raiders Army
Coordinator

That first link's recommendation to use salt is a great one. We grilled steaks today and had four test steaks and three control steaks. The control steaks were marinaded, while the test steaks were salted for about half an hour.

The salted steaks were a lot less tough than the marinaded ones. I'm not really sure about flavor since I put garlic and parmesean cheese on top of the steaks for the last 15 minutes, which overwhelms the marinade somewhat.

By the way, I also grilled pineapple. We cut the pineapple into discs, marinaded in lemon juice, honey, and a dash of hot sauce for about an hour. Grilled for about 15 minutes, flipping once. It's good.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #76
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

RA, I LOVE grilled pineapple. I do almost the same as you, though instead of hot sauce, I use a habanero-infused honey that I adore (it's also really tasty served on toast with butter and I occasionally use it as a pancake/waffle topper...also, vanilla ice cream).

Anyway....for those that like chili and don't want to use meat, I tried a recipe today that I absolutely loved, cooked in the slow-cooker. This is a cross-post from my blog.

I follow crafter and music-lover Vickie Howell on Twitter and I regularly read her blog. About a month ago, she posted a recipe for a vegetarian "beef" chili that uses the Morningstar Farms Grillers meat substitute. Though I was a vegetarian for quite awhile (maybe sometime I'll post about why I went back to eating meat in moderation, but not now), I've always been slightly afraid of meat substitutes. Over the years, I've come to really appreciate Morningstar Farms' Chik Patties, but I've never tried their meal starters. This recipe intrigued me. It is a familiar, comforting food using ingredients I've never used before. Though I'm cutting and pasting the recipe here, I strongly recommend you visit Vickie's website, especially if you're into knitting or crochet, and/or are interested in crafts for children. The recipe was originally posted on this post on her blog. I tweaked a few things (very minor, like using Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes instead of Rotel), my as-made recipe is below. I served it with a little shredded 4-cheese Mexican cheese over a homemade biscuit (I use the America's Test Kitchen "Mile-High Biscuits" recipe) and with roasted cauliflower on the side. I love that I'm going to have leftovers!!!!

Ingredients
1 bag Morningstar Farms Grillers ("beef" crumbles)
2 ~14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (if you can find them with chiles, you should use that)
1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained
1 15.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 11 oz can corn (I use the Green Giant Niblets)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 Mayan onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup red wine (I used a Côtes du Rhône wine)
2 tsp cumin, plus a little more
2 Tbsp chili powder, plus a little more
1/2 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano, plus a little more
Pinch of Salt

Directions
In a slow-cooker, add garlic, chopped onion and bag of Crumblers. Cover with a layer of chili powder and sprinkle in cumin, oregano, and basil. Stir.

Add tomatoes, beans, and corn, including the liquid in the tomatoes and corn. Add tomato paste, wine, and ketchup. Stir.

Add a pinch of salt and a couple more shakes of cumin, chili powder and oregano.

Let cook on low for ~7 hours. Stir occasionally (if you're home), and add more spices, wine or ketchup to taste, if desired. Serve with shredded cheese and/or a starch of your choice.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 02-21-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: format
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
As far as fat and flavor go, I implore you to use dark meat.

Pumpy FTW!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #78
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

My GF has some excellent filipino/local food recipes, if there is any interest , I'll ask her if I can post em.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #79
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
My GF has some excellent filipino/local food recipes, if there is any interest , I'll ask her if I can post em.

I for one would be very interested. If she lets you, post some of your favorite things that she makes!

/tk
Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #80
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seconded!

SI

Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh how I LOVE lumpia!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Filipin...-2/Detail.aspx
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #82
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

lumpia is awesome. Some of my favorites of hers are : Pork Eggplant, and Pork Peas and Pimento. Can't go wrong with either one. I'll post some recipes this week.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #83
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Adobo, but yes omg winner, and Pork Adobo.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #84
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Roasted Onion and Gorgonzola Soup

Found this one out on the web and made very few if any adjustments. It is awesome!

Roasted Onion and Gorgonzola Soup

3 TBSP butter
2 large onions, large diced
2 small baking potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp garlic, minced
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
4 1/2 oz Gorgonozla, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP sugar
2 medium pears, peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
4 oz bacon, fried and crumbled

Melt 3 TBSP of butter over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic, cook until onions are slightly wilted.
Add potatoes, stir to coat with butter. Cook 5 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft(about 30 minutes). Allow to cool slightly.
Puree soup in food processor.
Add cream and gently reheat soup.
Stir in cheese and adjust seasoning. If too thick, thin with stock.
Heat 1 TBSP butter over medium high heat.
Add pears and sprinkle with sugar. Saute until slightly caramelized.
Garnish soup with pears and bacon.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #85
RainMaker
General Manager

Does anyone have a good, somewhat healthy scallop recipe? I just bought a huge bag of frozen ones at Costco but can't find any good recipes online.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #86
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone have a good, somewhat healthy scallop recipe? I just bought a huge bag of frozen ones at Costco but can't find any good recipes online.

We haven't tried this one yet, so I sort of hesitate to throw it out there, but it is on our short list:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Seared-...sa/Detail.aspx
Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #87
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Ingredients
1 bag Morningstar Farms Grillers ("beef" crumbles)
2 ~14 oz. cans diced tomatoes (if you can find them with chiles, you should use that)
1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained
1 15.5 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 11 oz can corn (I use the Green Giant Niblets)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 Mayan onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup red wine (I used a Côtes du Rhône wine)
2 tsp cumin, plus a little more
2 Tbsp chili powder, plus a little more
1/2 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp dried oregano, plus a little more
Pinch of Salt

Directions
In a slow-cooker, add garlic, chopped onion and bag of Crumblers. Cover with a layer of chili powder and sprinkle in cumin, oregano, and basil. Stir.

Add tomatoes, beans, and corn, including the liquid in the tomatoes and corn. Add tomato paste, wine, and ketchup. Stir.

Add a pinch of salt and a couple more shakes of cumin, chili powder and oregano.

Let cook on low for ~7 hours. Stir occasionally (if you're home), and add more spices, wine or ketchup to taste, if desired. Serve with shredded cheese and/or a starch of your choice.

/tk

Alright, finally got around to printing this and will make it this week.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #88
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

CW's Quasi Szechuan Chicken Pasta Concoction of Doom.

I've gotten this pretty perfected over the years. Makes a good flavorful, easy meal.

And I apologize for the loose and fast instructions. I made this from scratch, and wing it.

Ingredients
-----------
2-3 chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces (you can also use beef instead of chicken)
extra wide egg noodles
1 bell pepper (red/orange), sliced into strips
mushrooms (optional, I throw 'em in the mix if I have some)

1 package, szechuan seasoning Sun-bird Hot & Spicy Szechuan Seasoning - 0.75 ounce at FoodServiceDirect!
olive oil
minced garlic (fresh is obviously better)
crushed red peppers (pizza kinda)
soy sauce
parsley
oregano
tabasco sauce (if you want to kick it up a couple more notches)

Heat up small amount of olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the garlic for a couple minutes. Throw in chicken, parsley, oregano, & red peppers, cooking chicken till done.

Add szechuan seasoning packet once chicken is done. Add 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons (I usually use a bit more, the sauce thickens easily) soy sauce, as per packet's instructions (this is the only part of the packet's directions I follow, really). The packet calls for a pinch of sugar, I do not use it.

Stir and cover, simmering on low heat.

Cook egg noodles as normal. If using mushrooms, add directly to the chicken skillet a few minutes before the pasta is ready. Approximately 2-3 minutes before noodles are ready, add the bell pepper to the chicken concoction, and mix in. Essentially, you're just heating up the pepper, you don't want to get it too mushy.

Drain pasta, dump the whole skillet into the pasta, mix, and serve.

Warning: Egg noodles get cold FAST. Serve small portions and cover the remainder until ready for more.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-11-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #89
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
CW's Quasi Szechuan Chicken Pasta Concoction of Doom.

I've gotten this pretty perfected over the years. Makes a good flavorful, easy meal.

And I apologize for the loose and fast instructions. I made this from scratch, and wing it.

This sounds pretty good. I might just have to try it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #90
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Alright, finally got around to printing this and will make it this week.

Took a little longer than a week, but here it is. Recipe is awesome, will definitely make again... thanks tk!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #91
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Hey guys, check out Food Mob on Revision3. It's a show where the host creates dishes easy enough for the beginner cook - Revision3 > Food Mob

They're also on Facebook - Food Mob on Facebook

Food Mob has been on Facebook for a little over a month and they're up to 900 fans. It's an interactive show where fans get to post pictures of their creations on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, or even on the Revision3 forums. It really is a great show. Here's a youtube clip where Niall describes what the show is about:

Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #92
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Took a little longer than a week, but here it is. Recipe is awesome, will definitely make again... thanks tk!

I swear to god that all of your pics look like they're professionally taken. You need to not be so good, because I think that you are just posting a pic from somewhere else. (BTW, I'm talking about your facebook account pics as well)

They're just really incredible.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #93
DanGarion
Coordinator

Cube Steaks and Gravy with Carrots and Potatoes

Start by mixing up 1/2 cup of flour along with some salt and pepper to taste (I use about 2 teaspoons of each) in a large ziplock style bag. Place in 2 pounds of cubed steak (about 6-8 steaks) in the bag and shake it till each piece has a nice coating of flour. Heat a couple of tablespoons of butter in your pressure cooker over medium heat and then cook the meat till browned on both sides (you may have to do this in batches). After you are done browning all the meat toss 1 chopped onion in the now empty pot and cook for till the onion starts to show some color (I usually also throw in some garlic, and today Mrs. DanGarion chopped up one of our home-grown sweet peppers for this step as well). Next add 2 cups of beef broth and scrape the sides of the pot with a wooden spoon to get the flavorful browned bits that will give your gravy its great flavor. After you have scraped most of the bits, it’s time to reintroduce the steaks to the pot. I like to place the steaks so it takes up the least amount of space and is submerged well and good in the broth. Cover the steaks with some chopped up carrots or other root type vegetables (we slice up about 16 baby carrots) and then cover that with 1/2 cubed peeled potatoes in a steaming tray (I used the metal tray that came with my steaming pot). Next seal up the pressure cooker and once it reaches 15 PSI cook for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes of pressure, remove the pressure cooker from the heat and let it stand till it releases on its own. Remove the potatoes for mashing (or leave them as they are), place carrots in their own serving bowl, and transfer steaks to serving tray. Lastly simmer the sauce in the pot, add some flour water slurry to thicken to your liking, and season to taste. Serve it however you want and enjoy!

Ingredients needed
Flour
Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
@2 Pounds of Cube Steak (6-8 steaks)
Butter
1 Onion chopped
Beef Broth
Carrots, chopped, sliced, whatever
Potatoes, peeled and cut into small 1/2 inch chunks

From the Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-11-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #94
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Next time I make my red beans & rice I'm gonna have to try and write it down so I can post it...It's really good. I just don't measure anything...that'll be the hard part.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #95
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Next time I make my red beans & rice I'm gonna have to try and write it down so I can post it...It's really good. I just don't measure anything...that'll be the hard part.

Please do, sounds tasty!

And Dan, because I'm a steak idiot, what kind of steak to buy? The only beef I ever purchase is ribeye for grilling.

/tk
Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #96
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

I'm with you on that. I don't measure anything. The way I measure is by taste.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #97
knolysis
n00b

Quote:
Please do, sounds tasty!

And Dan, because I'm a steak idiot, what kind of steak to buy? The only beef I ever purchase is ribeye for grilling.

/tk

In your grocery's beef section, you will see "Cube Steak". It will look somewhat similar to hamburger because it has been beaten/processed to tenderize it. I don't know what actual cut it is, but I have always seen it labeled "Cube Steak".
knolysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #98
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Please do, sounds tasty!

/tk

It's specifically called cube steak, it's a tenderized cut of beef. Alton Brown explains it the best.

Cubing A Round

Quote:
AGENT #1: According to The North American Meat Processors Association, item #1100, a.k.a "cube steak", can be prepared from any portion of the carcass excluding the shank and heel meat. However, item #1101, a.k.a. "beef cube steak, special", is to be prepared exclusively from the round, loin, rib, or chuck sections. Additionally, the knitting together of two or more pieces of meat, or the folding of the meat during the cubing process is permissible only in the cut sold as "cube steak", not as "cube steak, special".
Old 06-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #99
DanGarion
Coordinator

And if you are going to cook it without a pressure cooker, it probably needs 25-35 minutes after the step that you add the meat back, I guess. And you probably wouldn't put the potatoes with it that way then you'd cook them separate.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-11-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #100
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Healthy Chicken Stew
(also posted on my blog)

Ingredients
olive oil
approx. 1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 small or 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
2-3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
28 oz. canned diced tomatoes, with juices
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp Herbs de Provence, crushed
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)

Directions
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until it is brown on all sides (5-7ish minutes).

Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring every couple minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, and spices, stirring so it's all combined. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes (so chicken is cooked through).

*I sometimes use this recipe to use up leftover vegetables. If the vegetables are fresh/stand well to satueeing, I add them at the same time as the onions and celery (stuff like zucchini works well here). For frozen vegetables (like peas or cut green beans), I add them at the same time as the broth. Adding other vegetables might require adding additional broth and/or tomatoes, so just keep that in mind.

/tk