It was yummy!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #203
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Tonight's Dinner:

Tip! Roll your crust really thin for an even larger and crispier pizza... or don't and enjoy a thicker and fluffier pizza bottom!

Ingredients:
1 package Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust refrigerated dough
6 slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
1/2 cup regular, lite, or fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. dry ranch seasoning mix
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 plum tomatoes, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Roll out dough on the sheet into a large rectangle of even thickness.

Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Once cool enough to handle, crumble or chop and set aside.

In a bowl, combine mayo with ranch mix and mix well. Spread mixture evenly over the cooled pizza crust. Evenly top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cooked bacon.

Slice into 6 pieces and enjoy!

MAKES 6 SERVINGS

Looks delicious. We bought the Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough and didn't have to roll it out with a roller. Upon popping it from the can, you can just unroll it into a square. The cooking time is a little shorter too. Pre-bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, put on stuff, and then cook for another 6-10 minutes (it was 6 minutes for us).

We made BBQ Chicken Pizza by putting a thin layer of BBQ sauce on the dough after pre-baking, followed by a cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and grilled chicken breast I cut into small squares. On part of it I dribbled hot wing sauce and that was the best.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #204
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Another simple one. The mustard just gives it really, really good flavor.

Oven Baked Parmesean Crusted Chicken

Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in half
2 cups Panco bread crumbs
4 tablespoons olive oil (seperated)
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 cup grated parmesan
Thyme, Salt, Pepper
2 tablespoons water

(this is enough for 3 chicken breasts with tons of breadcrumb/parm leftover - if you want to make more, increase the mustard mixture, you likely won't need additional cheese/breadcrumbs)

Pound chicken breasts to roughly 1/4 inch thickness.

Bowl 1: Parmesean, Bread Crumbs, Salt, Pepper, Thyme, 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Bowl 2: 2 tablespoons olive oil, water, mustard, salt & pepper

Soak chicken breasts in bowl 2, then dredge through the breadcrumb mixture.

Place cooling rack on a cookie sheet, apply generous amounts of cooking spray to rack. Place chicken on cooling rack, cook in 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. (usually takes 30 and change for me). Serve immediately and enjoy.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 04-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #205
lungs
Pro Rookie

Anybody have a good beef cheek recipe? Not sure why I bought it, just looked interesting.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #206
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
It really isn't a recipe, but I'm always shocked by the amount of people who aren't aware of this.

Buffalo Chicken Ranch pizza

Take chicken breast, chop and fry it up, adding in sauce as you see fit. Place ranch on pizza crust, in lieu of the marinara sauce. When chicken is finished, place on the pizza. Add the mozzarella, and put in the oven.

Made this for the fight party tonight, and it got rave reviews. I used a good wing sauce recipe for the chicken. The sauce is the trick, it has to have a really good sauce. Thanks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #207
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone with a good ice cream recipe? We bought a ice cream maker yesterday and while the first batch turned out good from a consistency standpoint, it was too sweet for my liking. (straight vanilla)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #208
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just received a great Kalua Pork recipe...will try it tomorrow.

The pork is easy..it's the sauce and mix I am making to go with it that is going to be the unique part.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 07-19-2011 at 12:34 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #209
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Ok pork is in the slow cooker.....and I am going to have to leave...the smell is amazing....I will be constantly hungry all day.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #210
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I don't have a way of traditionally cooking the pork (RendeR would kick my ass if I dug a hole in the backyard) so this recipe is great for it.

Kalua Pork

Ingredients
  • 5-6 pound pork butt roast ( you can go bigger but just make sure it fits into your crock)
  • 1 1/2 ish.. tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt ( just liberally Coat it you will add more later likely after it’s cooked Kosher salt works well too if you don’t have Hawaiian salt)
  • 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
Directions
  1. Cover Pork in salt, Rub meat.
  2. Brown roast completely
  3. Place roast in a slow cooker.
  4. Pour liquid smoke over roast.
  5. Add ¼ C water
  6. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours. Longer the better
  7. Meat is ready when you can shred easily with forks
  8. Shred in Crockpot
  9. salt to taste.
Optionally – for leftovers or if you want to try something else
  1. Shred some cabbage throw into a wok
  2. Add 4 cloves garlic
  3. Add a 1 ½ Tbs Shoyue
  4. Add 3Tbs Oyster sauce
  5. Add a hand full of julienned carrots
  6. Add ¼ C water
  7. Toss until cabbage has softened but not mushy
  8. Add sugar to taste
  9. Add 1 block Komoboko (Japanese Fish Cake) diced
  10. Toss for one more minute

Last edited by MacroGuru : 07-20-2011 at 06:39 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #211
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just wanted to say I LOVE Balsamic vinegar dressing.

Just made a spinich and salmon salad with this wonderful dressing, I might just drink it straight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #212
MacroGuru
Coordinator

This is the Indian Chicken Curry recipe I found and I made tonight...It was GREAT!

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder (I love curry so I went with 6 tablespoons)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup coconut milk (I used a whole can)
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Used Indian Red Chili Powder, it was really hot, I would move this to a 1/4 tsp)

Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until lightly browned. Stir in garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, bay leaf, ginger, sugar and salt. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken pieces, tomato paste, yogurt, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
  2. Remove bay leaf, and stir in lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Simmer 5 more minutes.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #213
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Looks a lot like the recipe I use, Dennis! I stole mine from Cook's Illustrated. It's something I do on weeknights if I don't feel like cooking and/or have leftover chicken. It also works well if you get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. It takes about 10 minutes to make.

Cook’s Illustrated’s Chicken Curry in a Hurry
Serves 4

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced thin
1/2 to 1 tablespoon curry powder
Salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded of thinly sliced cooked chicken
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

1. BUILD CURRY BASE: Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, curry powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until onion is browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

2. ADD WATER, MEAT, VEGETABLES, AND COOK: Stir in water, meat, chickpeas, peas, and raisins. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.

3. GARNISH AND SERVE: Off heat, stir in yogurt and cilantro and serve. Over brown rice is a good option
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #214
Bad-example
College Starter

Ok I am lazy so I'll just cut and paste from the email I sent a buddy. This recipe is easy and tastes great.

Chili Rellenos Casserole http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-R...le/Detail.aspx

1- I do a double batch in a larger pan, 14x10.

2- I brown 1 1/4 pound ground turkey with a chopped onion and spread it over the first layer of cheese.

3- I use the condensed milk but omit the regular milk.

4- I reduce the cheese by about 1/3.

5- I add a bit of mozzarella cheese to both cheese layers to add body.

6- Cooking time for the double batch is 35 minutes plus ~20 minutes.

7- Substitute mild enchilada sauce for the tomato sauce.

Last edited by Bad-example : 08-08-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: corrected pan size
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #215
MacroGuru
Coordinator

New Addition!

I had to try my new recipe book out for Spanish cooking...
PAVO CHILINDRON

2 3/4 lb Turkey Meat, Diced (You can use chicken or rabbit)
2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
1 Large Mild Onion, sliced into half moons
6 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
1 tbs diced ham
1 lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped
Small Cinnamon Stick
1 glass red wine (3/4 cup)
Sugar (optional)
4 tbs Olive Oil
  1. Fold turkey meat with the garlic and season with salt and pepper
  2. Heat the oil in a roomy skillet and add the onion and peppers. Fry until the vegetables soften and take a little color, lower the heat and cook gently for 20 minutes or so, until the water has evaporated and the vegetables are soft and thick.
  3. Add the Turkey meat and ham. Fry for 5-10 minutes, until the meat seizes and takes a little color. Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, and wine and allow to bubble up until the steam no longer smells of alcohol.
  4. Turn down the heat, cover tightly, and simmer for 30-40 minutes - you may need to add a little more water if it looks like drying out - until the turkey meat is perfectly tender and the juices are well reduced. If it looks a little watery, remove the lid and bubble up fiercely for a minute or two, or until the sauce is thick and shiny. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
  5. Serve with white rice or plenty of bread.
I cooked this one with chicken and it was great and flavorful, the cinnamon adds an interesting flavor to it. I did not need any sugar for mine (you add it if the tomatoes are not ripe)
It is said this is good on the first day and better on the second....so I can't wait for leftovers tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #216
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I actually made my first original recipe this weekend...sure I just tossed together and modified three other things that were someone else's recipe, but that counts, right?

Bacon Waffles w/ Salted Caramel Sauce & Whipped Cream:

Start by whipping and chilling the cream, then make the caramel sauce and the bacon, which can cool while you make the waffle mix.

Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat. Chill while you do the other crap.

Salted Caramel Sauce:

1 cups sugar
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoons salted butter
1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)

Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pan. Set over moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy. Using a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, begin gently stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center and delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going; it will melt completely as it turns amber. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown and starts to smoke. (Don’t worry about any large chunks of caramel.) The darker you can cook the sugar without burning it, the better the final sauce will taste. It’s ready when it’s the color of a well-worn penny, and will smell a bit smoky. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in about a quarter of the cream. The mixture will bubble up furiously, so you may wish to wear an oven mitt over your stirring hand. Continue to whisk in the cream, stirring as you go to make sure it’s smooth.

Bacon Waffles:

1 pound sliced bacon
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup bacon grease

Cut bacon into 1/4 inch pieces. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp while the caramel sauce is cooking. Remove bacon from pan and set aside, reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon grease for the waffle mix. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat egg yolks, milk and bacon grease; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Add bacon. Before making each waffle, stir batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Top with mounds of whip cream and caramel sauce and prepare for your impending coronary.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #217
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy cream

That recipe looking oddly interesting..

If anyone uses a lot of whip cream, I strongly recommend a Whip-It Whip Cream Dispenser...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #218
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Fresh whip cream is pretty addictive....I was actually considering getting a whip cream dispenser as I was stuffing my face with the stuff, but I'm not sure that would be a healthy decision.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #219
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I actually made my first original recipe this weekend...sure I just tossed together and modified three other things that were someone else's recipe, but that counts, right?

Bacon Waffles w/ Salted Caramel Sauce & Whipped Cream:

Start by whipping and chilling the cream, then make the caramel sauce and the bacon, which can cool while you make the waffle mix.

Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy cream

In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat. Chill while you do the other crap.

Salted Caramel Sauce:

1 cups sugar
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoons salted butter
1/8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)

Spread the sugar in an even layer in a large metal pan. Set over moderate heat and cook without stirring, until the sugar near the edge just starts to liquefy. Using a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, begin gently stirring, encouraging the melted sugar around the edges toward the center and delicately stirring up any sugar melting on the bottom as well. The sugar will start to look pebbly as it cooks, but keep going; it will melt completely as it turns amber. Continue to cook until the sugar turns deep brown and starts to smoke. (Don’t worry about any large chunks of caramel.) The darker you can cook the sugar without burning it, the better the final sauce will taste. It’s ready when it’s the color of a well-worn penny, and will smell a bit smoky. Remove from the heat and quickly stir in about a quarter of the cream. The mixture will bubble up furiously, so you may wish to wear an oven mitt over your stirring hand. Continue to whisk in the cream, stirring as you go to make sure it’s smooth.

Bacon Waffles:

1 pound sliced bacon
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup bacon grease

Cut bacon into 1/4 inch pieces. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp while the caramel sauce is cooking. Remove bacon from pan and set aside, reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon grease for the waffle mix. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Beat egg yolks, milk and bacon grease; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Add bacon. Before making each waffle, stir batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Top with mounds of whip cream and caramel sauce and prepare for your impending coronary.

I am going to make this in the morning....I am going to ask you now, because I am going to assume it will be awesome....mind if I post this on FB?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #220
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Go crazy! Lemme know how they work out.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-14-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #221
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Oh my! The Bacon Waffles, with Sauce and Whip Cream....it was like I had a breakfast party in my mouth it was amazing!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #222
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Awesome! Glad you liked it, macro.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #223
tarcone
Coordinator

Here is the recipe my MIL uses for home made ice cream. It is outstanding.

4 eggs
1 can milnot
2 cups sugar
1 pt. whipping cream (or use 1/2 and 1/2, 1 pt.)
milk- fill freezer 1/2 to 2/4 full (I prefer Whole milk)
1 tsp salt
1-2 tbs vanilla
a few drops of orange flavoring

Beat eggs well- gradually add sugar- beat well. Add milnot, whiopping cream, salt and flavoring. Mixing well. pour into freezer then add milk.

I love this ice cream.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #224
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

What The Fuck Should I Make For Dinner?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #225
Izulde
Head Coach

So I made my first slow cooker meal today and, it turns out, made my first recipe (although I modified someone else's. ). I posted this on Facebook already, but I'll include both the original recipe and my own substitutions here.

Original Sunshine Chicken Recipe

Ingredients
8 chicken breasts

2 cups BBQ sauce

1 cup orange juice

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup honey

Directions
1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
2. Combine BBQ sauce, water, honey and orange juice. Pour over chicken.
3. Cover; cook on Low for 8 hours

Izulde's Sunrise Chicken Recipe

Ingredients (Note: All ingredients purchased at Wal-Mart, because that's what was open)
8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs (change made at suggestion of friend, which worked out much better because I highly prefer dark meat anyway)

1 and 1/2 cups of Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce

1 cup of Florida's Natural No Pulp Orange Juice

1/2 cup of water

1/4 cup of Rice's Lucky Clover Honey

Directions
1. Combine BBQ sauce, orange juice, water, and honey in bowl. Mix/stir until it forms an actual sauce.

2. Wash thighs one at a time and place in slow cooker right after washing each one.

3. Pour sauce over chicken.

4. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.

Notes
1. I got the smallest bottle of the BBQ sauce they had, thinking that'd be more than enough. Turns out I was wrong and so had to do a half-cup less than the original recipe called for. Sauce still turned out great in my opinion.

2. There's a strong orange juice aftertaste upon eating, probably because of the reduced amount of BBQ sauce. If you like orange juice like I do, no problem. If not, you'll want to bump it back up to the original I imagine.

3. Honey is very sticky and difficult to manage well or get a precise quarter-cup out of. I may have had slightly less, but it was very close to that.

4. I have no idea if the brands/types of ingredients matter. I've noted the specific brands and types here for those interested in trying to exactly recreate my recipe. More experienced cooks may have other preferences.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #226
QuikSand
lolzcat

Advance warning - I am not a recipe follower, and even less of a recipe writer. Anyhow, here's something I have been fiddling with a lot lately, it has become basically my favorite food, and is pretty adaptable. Hope you enjoy.

served here with a sidecar of black bean soup, a favorite power breakfast coupling

Tofu Hash

Essential Ingredients:

4 c potatoes, cubed
1 c firm tofu, cubed
1 bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 4oz can green chilies
1 T crushed garlic
2 T olive oil
1/2 c vegetable broth (more if you do advance prep)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 c baby spinach
spices to taste

Optional Ingredients:

fresh cilantro or basil
1 c mushrooms, diced
1/2 c black olives, sliced or diced
pimientos
water chestnuts
celery, diced or sliced
jalapenos or other spicy peppers, finely diced
sweet onion, diced
red cabbage, chopped
artichoke hearts
navy beans
black eyed peas
black beans
sauerkraut (?)

Advance Prep (recommended, probably not essential):

Dice potatoes, soak overnight in veg broth - adds great flavor
Marinate small tofu cubes in shoyu/tamari (I add 1t Liquid Smoke here)
Dice vegetables to make morning prep simpler (I prefer)

Main Prep:

Heat potatoes first on large hot skillet (they need the most cooking time) until they start to brown

I use a little oil and garlic at first, but splashes of veg broth afterward, works fine (feel free to adjust if you aren't worried about the oil)

For me, about 5 minutes on high and another 5-10 minutes on a medium setting works great

As the potatoes are cooking, I would add about 1T cayenne pepper, about 1t salt, and 1t black pepper - but adjust to your tastes

After potatoes are starting to brown and soften, add in other main ingredients, other than tomatoes and spinach

Heat for another 4-8 minutes on medium heat with nearly all ingredients, stirring occasionally

Add in tomatoes and spinach (chop it up if you prefer smaller bits), cook for another 4 minutes or so

Serve hot.

Observations:

Had a dish a lot like this at a restaurant in Portland, OR named Mother's, and felt it was worth (1) going back to try again, and then (2) trying to re-create at home... pleased with the effort

My working approach is that the potatoes, garlic, peppers, and onions make a base... then i fiddle around with the rest... and then I add tomato and spinach to a dish that's close to finished. I have tried everything on the list of optionals above -- I'd be tempted to add pimientos and olives as required items, but I recognize they aren't for everyone.

This dish is pretty adaptable, so if you want it to skew saltier, you can certainly add more shoyu or tamari.... if you like it spicy, add in hotter peppers or sauces... and if you like it more asian, I reckon it would work fine with a move toward asian veggies comfortably too. I threw in about a cup of sauerkraut once and was pleased as well.

I try to work with fresh ingredients, but the canned chilies are just too convenient to overcome (and I view them as essential to helping the dish maintain a coherence, for what that's worth)

Bottom line for a one-cup serving is around 140 calories, very little fat, obviously zero cholesterol, and a giant helping of both protein and phytonutrients. I routinely double that and feel no guilt at all, or I couple it with something like black bean soup which is a brilliant matching.

served here with a sidecar of steamed broccoli, with a splash of spaghetti sauce in the middle, a mid-day variant

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #227
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pulls | Plain Chicken

I think I'll do the dip version first.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #228
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Crockpot Pinto Beans

1 lb dried pinto beans (2 cups)
1 Tbsp chili powder
6 ½ cups water
2 cloves garlic
1 ½ tsp salt
1 large onion
½ tsp pepper

Mix all on high for 7-9 hours or until beans are cooked

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 10-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #229
Bad-example
College Starter

I found a recipe for slow cooker turkey chili that turned out pretty damn good on the first try. Very easy too, if you don't mind opening a bunch of cans.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lauras-...arch%20Results

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground turkey
2 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium tomato soup
2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 pinch ground allspice
salt to taste

Directions

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place turkey in the skillet, and cook until evenly brown; drain.
Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray, and mix in turkey, tomato soup, kidney beans, black beans and onion. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, allspice and salt.
Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High.

Changes I made based on the comments:

Swapped in one can navy beans for one can kidney beans
Used one can mild Rotel in place of the red pepper flakes
Added one can corn, one green and one red bell pepper.
Swapped in one can stewed tomatoes for one can tomato soup
Omitted the allspice

Next time I'll add 1 tablespoon extra chili powder and maybe use regular Rotel.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #230
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Oh my. There is a little Serbian restaurant in Houston called Cafe Pita. It is tucked away in a strip mall, and was on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives a few years ago. One of their dishes is a sausage called cevapi. They are incredibly addicting. The are served as a sandwich in a style of bread called lepinja, and they also serve them in a tomato cream sauce. I've been wanting to try and replicate these at home, and I have succeeded. I followed this recipe:

Cevapcici Cevapi) Balkan Sausage Sandwiches Recipe - Food.com - 361035

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs ground pork
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground lamb
1 egg white
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 onion, finely chopped
4 pita bread or 4 white bread or 4 rolls

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, ground beef, ground lamb and egg white. Add the garlic, salt, baking soda, black pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika. Mix well using your hands.
2. Form into finger length sausages about 3/4 inch thick. Arrange in a plate.
3. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate for one hour to one day, to let the flavors settle and the mixture become firm.
4. Preheat the grill, medium-low heat. Lightly oil the grilling surface.
5. Grill cevapcici until cooked through, turning as needed. The grilling usually takes about 30 minutes.
6. Serve in warmed or grilled pita bread, white bread or rolls on a bed of chopped onions, with your choice of toppings such as kajmak, sour cream, cottage cheese, fresh peppers, ajvar or tomatoes.

I mixed it all up last night, formed the links, then covered it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I just grilled some for lunch, threw them in a tortilla with some sliced onions, and they were outstanding. Now I have a bunch more in the freezer for later!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #231
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dead simple pork recipe:

2-3 pounds of pork (tenderloin if you don't like trimming fat, but a shoulder or butt will work as well, just trim as much fat off as possible)
20oz bottle of root beer (with sugar, not diet)
18oz bottle of BBQ sauce (which ever is your favorite)

Throw pork in slow cooker/crockpot, then pour the bottle of root beer over the pork.
Set on low for 6-8 hours
Shred pork in the slow cooker with a couple of forks (removing any big chunks of fat that might be left)
Completely drain the liquid
Add the bottle of BBQ sauce
Set on warm for 30 minutes

Chow down!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #232
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I did a quick search in this thread, but haven't found what I'm looking for:

In anticipation of the Labor Day Holiday weekend, does anyone have a great hamburger recipe they'd like to share?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #233
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

In anticipation of the Labor Day Holiday weekend, does anyone have a great hamburger recipe they'd like to share?

This is what I usually do assuming you are using one pound of ground beef:

Finely chop an onion, a couple cloves of garlic and fry those down until they are nice and soft and set them aside to cool.

In a big bowl add the ingredients for your "binder" with whatever flavour you are after. Me, I like to add:

-an egg
-couple of good shots of hot sauce
-couple of good shots of Worcestershire sauce
-couple of cranks of fresh ground pepper
-pinch or two of chilli powder
-cup of bread crumbs or crushed up soup crackers
-cooled down onions and garlic from the first step

(other stuff I've added...fresh herbs like finely chopped parsley...lemon and/or lime zest which worked well with a tequila bbq sauce i made once...if i didn't have an onion or garlic on hand I've added a couple tablespoons of onion soup mix and it works very well)

Combine it all and then add your ground beef.

Form your patties however thick you like them and ideally do that at least an hour two before so they can setup and firm up a little before they hit the grill.

I like to sprinkle some salt and pepper on them as they hit the grill and I like to do them on a pretty hot grill as I like to have nice sear and crunch on my burgers.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #234
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

Check the Krispy Kreme burger thread
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #235
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I still refuse to believe a burger is anything more than ground beef on a grill. What's this egg and other crap.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #236
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
What's this egg and other crap.

The spice of life!!!

I tend to agree with you...for example, a nice steak will only get some salt and pepper as it hits a well oiled grill but for a burger I just like to "dress up" the ground beef a bit and also make life easier with keeping everything together.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #237
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That should read Krispy Kreme Brulee. If anybody makes this, please consider sending me a sample.

Krispy Krème Brûlée Recipe | Garden and Gun
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #238
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well that sounds very sweet and very delicious!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #239
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey all-

I've spent a good many evenings attempting to copy my favorite barbecue place from when I lived in North Carolina (Stamey's Barbecue). The following recipe, which will now be a staple of my house, is as close as I can come and used a conglomeration of three different recipes. Be warned, this one has a touch of heat to it in the vinegar sauce.

North Carolina Pork Roast
Ingredients
* Pork butt, 4 pounds
* Onion 1 cup, diced
* Cider vinegar, 4 cups
* Tomato paste, 1/2 cup
* Sprite, 6 ounces
* Red pepper, crushed 2 tsp

* Cayenne pepper, 1 tsp
* Garlic, 3 cloves
* Brown Sugar, 3/4 cup packed
* Pepper, black, 1 tbsp
* Garlic powder, 2 tsp
* Onion powder, 2 tsp
* Smoked Paprika, 2 tsp
* Worcestershire Sauce, 3 tsp
* Mustard seed, yellow, 1 tsp

Directions
Mix all ingredients EXCEPT the pork butt in a stock pot. Warm the mixture while you do the next step.

Using a small amount of olive oil, put a quick sear all around the pork butt. Quarter the pork butt so that you have four large pieces.

Ladle out some of the sauce mixture to save as a finishing sauce for each sandwich.

Place the quarters of pork butt in the crock pot and cover with the rest of the sauce mix.

cook in crock pot on high for 4.5 hours.

Pull the quarters out, shred them using a fork and make sandwiches.

Personally, I top the sandwiches with cole slaw (creamy or vinegary but it needs to be a saucy slaw) and a splash of the sauce but do what you gotta do.

PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #240
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

It's been a rough couple weeks at work so we are doing a New Orleans themed food spread all week in the department office. So for today, I made a muffuletta. I've never had one and hate olives so it was quite the undertaking however it turned out fabulously well and my resident New Orleans native raved about it. Here's the All Recipes link but I made some changes which I'll detail: Real N'Awlins Muffuletta

Instead of the capers, celery, pepperoncini, and coctail onions I substituted in a hot giardinara. Additionally, instead of ham I use both prosciutto and capicola. Otherwise I thought it was fantastic even with olives. Highly recommended!
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #241
finketr
College Prospect

3 month thread resurrection
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #242
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Paula Deen's Canned Cranberries:

Ingredients:

1 8-ounce can whole cranberries (not jellied)
1 6-ounce can mandarin oranges
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pecans
Directions

In a medium size bowl, gently fold together the cranberries, mandarin oranges, walnuts, and pecans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So easy a toddler can make it .
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #243
cartman
Death Herald

That can't possibly be a Paula Deen recipe. There's no butter listed.

Last edited by cartman : 10-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #244
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
That can't possibly be a Paula Deen recipe. There's no butter listed.

I had the same thought...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #245
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Oh yeah, add some butter. Bout two sticks.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #246
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Crockpot Pinto Beans

1 lb dried pinto beans (2 cups)
1 Tbsp chili powder
6 ½ cups water
2 cloves garlic
1 ½ tsp salt
1 large onion
½ tsp pepper

Mix all on high for 7-9 hours or until beans are cooked

Soaked pinto beans overnight, put them in a pressure cooker (beans setting) and they were done in roughly 35 minutes.

Pressure cookers are the bomb, food in minutes, as opposed to hours.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 07-14-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #247
QuikSand
lolzcat

Fitter, Happier Pancakes

3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
4 tsp baking powder (do yourself a favor and buy aluminum free, not not essential)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (ceylon cinnamon is best, but harder to find)
4 tbsp canola oil (any light oil is probably fine, but don't use olive oil)
3 cups rice milk (*)
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp maple syrup

Most of the general rules for pancake-making apply - don't over-stir the pancakes, adjust batter to your taste for thickness.

* - I use rice milk here, which is just about the same consistency as skim milk. If you use something thicker (soy milk, fattier dairy milk) then you may want to cut it slightly with water, your call.

I'm a firm believer in making a large batch if you're going to the trouble to make pancakes from scratch. These keep in the fridge for a week, and in the freezer for a year.

Major h/t to Isa, from whom the foundation of this recipe is drawn. I've adjusted it a bit but the key to the right consistency was a revelation from her.

Bottom line, as with nearly all baking, the presence of eggs and milk is almost completely about consistency and hardly at all about flavor. Replacing them comes at virtually no cost, these pancakes are very good.

I believe in big batches when making from scratch. These keep for a week in the fridge, and a year in the freezer. This batch makes, in my experience, one assload of silver dollar pancakes.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 PM   #248
tarcone
Coordinator

Bump

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #249
Suicane75
Coordinator

It does not seem like it's been two years since a new post was in this thread. Where does the time go.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #250
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm gonna add a few things to this tomorrow.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote