Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #851
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I keep waiting for my dang phone to ring.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #852
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I keep waiting for my dang phone to ring.

A watched pot never boils.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #853
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'll be praying for you, Poli.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #854
JS19
College Prospect

Watching skin heal is pretty amazing.

Also, I'm surprised people falling down stairs doesn't happen more often. Just speaking for myself here, but the amount of times I walk up and down stairs everyday I feel as though I should miss a step more often.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #855
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sigh of relief: I has it. Tests came back negative.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #856
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've seen Hawaii, San Jose State, Emporia State, Missouri Southern, Northwestern, Arizona State, Washington, Texas, the St. Louis Rams and the Houston Texans play football...but I still haven't seen the Vols. I'm likely to see Brandon Bourbon and the Kansas Jayhawks play Oklahoma State before I could possibly see Tennessee play Kentucky.

I'm crossing my fingers for the UK/UT game this year, but I'd gladly take UT/Vandy in Nashville. I'd love to go to Knoxville and watch the UT-Martin game but that's super unlikely. I have a better shot of making the Kansas- North Dakota game instead.

Edit: Now that I think of it, my roommate's a Mizzou grad. I may end up seeing a Mizzou game this year as well.

Last edited by Poli : 07-08-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #857
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #858
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, bicyclists. I'm basically on your side. You're vehicles, you're not pedestrians, and you're properly on the road, I get it. Okay, then.

So... your part of the deal is that you fucking follow the laws for vehicles. You don't get to just pedal through a red light if you feel like it, you don't get to just peel the wrong way on a one way street because you're "just a bike." No.

In or out. You're either a jeep or a baby carriage. Pick.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #859
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Okay, bicyclists. I'm basically on your side. You're vehicles, you're not pedestrians, and you're properly on the road, I get it. Okay, then.

So... your part of the deal is that you fucking follow the laws for vehicles. You don't get to just pedal through a red light if you feel like it, you don't get to just peel the wrong way on a one way street because you're "just a bike." No.

FUCK YES
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #860
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Too many people want to have their cake and eat it too.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #861
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Stay away from NYC, your motherboard might explode.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #862
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just saw Darth Vader's apprentice in the cafeteria.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #863
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I wish more cyclists knew that they were vehicles and obeyed the laws. And didn't do asshat things, like whip around turns that are just over hills where CARS CAN'T FREAKING SEE YOU AS THEY'RE DRIVING UP THE HILL. And don't get me started on the ones who don't wear helmets, ESPECIALLY when they're not following the rules of the road.

As a one-time (and hopefully in the near future, I will be again) cyclist, I almost want to pull over and lecture the ones that are just being asshats.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #864
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
the ones that are just being asshats.

I can't say that I've ever seen any other kind.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #865
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't say that I've ever seen any other kind.

Admittedly, I don't drive too often in cities (where I'm sure the asshattery is taken to an extreme), but where I live, there are some cyclists that do it right. And a lot that don't.

/tk
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #866
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
And he was excited to find out who won the next 25 World Series. If I knew the Yankees were going to win that many times, I think I'd rather get shot by the Libyans.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #867
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know it's something we've all heard repeatedly but if you are in a photograph, it can find its way to the internet & therefore to the world quite easily. Your awareness that it's out there isn't required & more often than not neither is your permission.

No FOFC, it's not pictures of me that I'm talking about, but I'll be damned if someone didn't manage to surprise me with some linkage tonight. Nobody any of you would know or care about so the details are irrelevant but I was genuinely surprised, not by the questionable/damaging nature of the pictures themselves but rather that someone who I'm quite certain is smart enough to know better put themselves in a position for the pics to be taken. Apparently it doesn't take many beers to make even fully grown non-celebrity adults do really stupid things that could be career-enders.

Yeah, not a revelation, just sayin' ...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #868
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hooray!!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #869
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And that's it.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #870
MJ4H
Coordinator

Good grief my wife is watching the most boring insipid movie. I tried to sit through it but I can't so I just opened up the laptop and started typing this.

The movie is called It's Complicated or something like that. Awful.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #871
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

There's a car alarm that's been going off for the last 10 minutes. It is 1:40 am local time. Every once in a while it will stop for 5 seconds to get my hopes up that it stopped completely.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #872
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'll trade you.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:09 AM   #873
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Okay, motorists. I'm basically on your side. You're vehicles, you're not pedestrians, and you're properly on the road. I get it.
Okay then.

SO... your part of the deal is that you fucking follow the laws for vehicles. You don't get to just run a red light if you feel like it, you don't get to just make a turn through an intersection across which a pedestrian with the legal right of way is proceeding because you're "a damn SUV." No.

In or out. You're either a motorist with a clue or a fucking retard. Pick.

---

Sorry, QS, but as much sympathy as I have for your point of view there - and I agree, I really do - I have far greater wrath for motorists who decide that a pedestrian's right of way is less important than their need to get to Taco Bell in the next two minutes. I nearly got run over crossing two separate streets in the span of ten minutes because the cars turning right made their maneuver immediately upon the light turning green without paying the slightest attention to whether or not foot traffic had entered the crosswalk.

The bicyclist who's being a negligent dumbass is a danger, yes, and I get as irritated as anybody else to see a bicyclist who either doesn't know or doesn't care to follow the rules of the road.

On the other hand, any death he causes is most likely to be his own. That doesn't excuse his actions in the slightest, mind, but it stands in contrast to the fact that the motorist being a negligent dumbass is basically committing assault with a deadly weapon.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #874
sabotai
General Manager

Okay, pedestrians, I'm basically on your side. You're a pedestrian, not a vehicle, and you're properly on the sidewalk.....no, wait, you're not! Stop jaywalking assholes! And seriously, you're crossing a road with traffic! You could act like you're in a bit of a hurry and not out for a nice, slow, leisurely walk while doing it!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #875
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I agree. When they don't follow the rules of vehicles I get fucking LIVID.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #876
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Okay, pedestrians, I'm basically on your side. You're a pedestrian, not a vehicle, and you're properly on the sidewalk.....no, wait, you're not! Stop jaywalking assholes! And seriously, you're crossing a road with traffic! You could act like you're in a bit of a hurry and not out for a nice, slow, leisurely walk while doing it!

i get so livid at jaywalkers - i've been known to roll down my car window and remind them LOUDLY and ANGRILY that jaywalking is a crime in all 50 states.

and i used to walk everywhere...miles and miles. i just have no sympathy for jaywalkers.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #877
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i get so livid at jaywalkers - i've been known to roll down my car window and remind them LOUDLY and ANGRILY that jaywalking is a crime in all 50 states.

and i used to walk everywhere...miles and miles. i just have no sympathy for jaywalkers.

Yep. A jaywalker gets clobbered in traffic, it deserves a Nelson Muntz HAW HAW.

A pedestrian exercising his legal right-of-way in a crosswalk, on the other hand, shouldn't have to treat the crosswalk like an obstacle course.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #878
tarcone
Coordinator

My brother-in-law got a ticket for running a red light on his bike.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #879
korme
Go Reds

two seperate arguments ^^
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #880
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
A pedestrian exercising his legal right-of-way in a crosswalk, on the other hand, shouldn't have to treat the crosswalk like an obstacle course.
But they should still be paying attention and be courteous to traffic...

No one should EVER assume right of way, that's what causes accidents.

Last edited by DanGarion : 07-10-2010 at 03:03 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #881
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But they should still be paying attention and be courteous to traffic...

No one should EVER assume right of way, that's what causes accidents.

Sorry. I'm calling bullshit, at least in this context.

Not that both paying attention and proper deference to traffic are not important duties for the pedestrian, but the key modifier to deference there is 'proper.' Being courteous to traffic means not dashing across the street against a 'do not walk' sign, for example. It doesn't mean "let all the cars who want to turn right go first and then cross if the crossing light is still green."

A pedestrian crossing in a legally designated crosswalk when the "walk" light is lit up in bright green will almost never be the cause of an accident.

He is crossing in the time and place he is supposed to do so. If an accident happens, it's because someone behind the wheel of a two-ton vehicle was distracted, not paying attention, or otherwise violating traffic laws for personal benefit.

If the pedestrian cannot assume the ability to cross the street safely and unmolested when he has the clear and inarguable right of way, when does he have the right to do so?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #882
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forgot to mention DT. The other night when I was driving home I noticed a pug hanging out in the middle of the road. I stopped my car, and managed to grab it and return it to the owner without screaming at a 4 year old.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #883
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the pedestrian cannot assume the ability to cross the street safely and unmolested when he has the clear and inarguable right of way, when does he have the right to do so?

He's free to assume whatever, but that assumption is made at considerable risk.

If the only thing someone is looking at before stepping into the street is the little light on the pole then they're either an idiot or have no regard for their own life.

Fault, legal right, etc. have nothing to do with that basic truth.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #884
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

The Keurig one cup coffee maker I got for my birthday is all kinds of kick-ass.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #885
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Sorry. I'm calling bullshit, at least in this context.

Not that both paying attention and proper deference to traffic are not important duties for the pedestrian, but the key modifier to deference there is 'proper.' Being courteous to traffic means not dashing across the street against a 'do not walk' sign, for example. It doesn't mean "let all the cars who want to turn right go first and then cross if the crossing light is still green."

A pedestrian crossing in a legally designated crosswalk when the "walk" light is lit up in bright green will almost never be the cause of an accident.

He is crossing in the time and place he is supposed to do so. If an accident happens, it's because someone behind the wheel of a two-ton vehicle was distracted, not paying attention, or otherwise violating traffic laws for personal benefit.

Do not put words in my mouth.

When I am a pedestrian I take my own safety as my responsibility, regardless of what traffic is supposed to be doing. It is my own responsibility to pay attention to vehicles so I don't die. Right of way should never be assumed. This is one of the main teachings of defensive driving, which I happen to know a bit about since I'm a certified defensive driving instructor.

Regardless if a pedestrian is crossing legally in a crosswalk while the "Walk" light is lit, it's still important if you want to stay alive and not be killed for the pedestrian to pay attention to the traffic and look out for themselves.

Personally it annoys me when pedestrians don't take their own safety into consideration when they cross the street and don't pay attention to traffic, because the last thing I want to see is them getting hit by a driver that wasn't paying attention or didn't see the person because of obstacles.

I'm not discounting that pedestrians don't have the right of way, I'm just saying they can't assume it and they need to take responsibility for their well being.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #886
chadritt
High School Varsity

As someone who walks around a lot I have my own rule. "I may be right but the driver may be an idiot." This has kept me alive more than once.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #887
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
As someone who walks around a lot I have my own rule. "I may be right but the driver may be an idiot." This has kept me alive more than once.

This has kept me out of several accidents as a driver as well. Many people simply don't give a shit about traffic laws, whether it be on foot, on a bike or in a car.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #888
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
He's free to assume whatever, but that assumption is made at considerable risk.

If the only thing someone is looking at before stepping into the street is the little light on the pole then they're either an idiot or have no regard for their own life.

Fault, legal right, etc. have nothing to do with that basic truth.

Sure.

Part of the pedestrian's responsibility is to make sure it's safe to cross before exercising his right of way.

But vehicles move faster than people do, and a motorist who is displaying no regard for the pedestrian's rights can make a safe crossing an unsafe one in short order, even after the pedestrian begins to cross.

And there is exactly fuck-all the pedestrian can do about that.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #889
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post

Exactly. Not only that, but even if I'm right- he's got something that can kill me so I'd better pay attention to it even if he's not.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #890
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The jaywalking thing reminds me of a story that always makes me laugh.

An old co-worker got called for jury duty. Woman suing because she was clipped by a bus crossing the street.

She admits that the location she was crossing did not have a crosswalk. During the cross examination, they ask the driver if he was able to see her crossing, and he admits that he sees her while he's turning through the intersection. The lawyer asks why did he choose to continue the turn, couldn't he have "exited the turn and continued straight"?

Driver's answer: "I could have gone straight...but then I'd be off my route"

I can't even remember was the verdict was, but I always laugh when I remember that.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #891
MJ4H
Coordinator

I miss the Mean Girls/Freaky Friday/Herbie Fully Loaded Lindsay Lohan. Such potential.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #892
MJ4H
Coordinator

I enjoy browsing the web and doing normal desktop activities so much more in linux (xfce4). It really is too bad that there are still so many things that are difficult/impossible compared to windows.

Also too bad KDE4 is so freaking bloated.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-11-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #893
MJ4H
Coordinator

Where the hell was Rowena at Mr. Holland's going away party?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #894
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

There have been significantly fewer postings in the "cool images" thread since the drama with TR.

/tk
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #895
JediKooter
Coordinator

People are probably gun shy now.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #896
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I love my new GTX470.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #897
JS19
College Prospect

I'm watching this E! True Hollywood Story of Andrea Yates, this mother who drown her 5 children in Texas. After watching this, I've realized I can never be on a jury. I find myself perhaps unsympathetic and/or uneducated on the matter, but I don't care how sick this woman claims to be/have been, she deserves to go straight to the chamber.

EDIT: My "random thought" for this post isn't so much about this incident... it's about how I've realized I can never be on a jury in a case like this, and I'm curious if the majority of people would feel the way I do, or if I'm in the minority?

Last edited by JS19 : 07-12-2010 at 01:10 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #898
JediKooter
Coordinator

Being unsympathetic/uneducated is no excuse to not listen to and evaluate the evidence as a juror. In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty. So, no, I do not feel the way that you do. Whether or not you are in the majority or minority, I have no idea.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #899
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

100% of the time that I see "I. J. Reilly" on this board, I read it as "I. P. Freely"

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-12-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #900
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm annoyed that my mail doesn't get delivered until 4pm.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote