MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Mitchell Boggs
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #552
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey Crapshoot-
I'm thinking a Jim Bowden/Dave Littlefield/Ed Wade front office would be perfect for the Dodgers.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 AM   #553
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Give the job to Steve Phillips? I hear Mo Vaughn is available as a FA.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 AM   #554
Easy Mac

So we can agree dropping McLouth was the right move for him, right?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #555
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hey Crapshoot-
I'm thinking a Jim Bowden/Dave Littlefield/Ed Wade front office would be perfect for the Dodgers.

Oh please please please.....

PS - thought you would be interested in this Fangraphs piece on Charlie Morton.

Charlie Morton’s Dilemma | FanGraphs Baseball
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #556
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thats pretty interesting. I figure that he can't be good striking out so few guys. But I do think the ground balls are a promising sign.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #557
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Hey Crapshoot-

Put me in charge, if my OOTP record means anything I could run the team into the ground as good as anyone else.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #558
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Picked up +3 Arcade tix for leveling up the town and got +1 arcade tix for leveling up a section of the city.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #559
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Picked up +3 Arcade tix for leveling up the town and got +1 arcade tix for leveling up a section of the city.

This is real baseball not the fake baseball game.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #560
lungs
Pro Rookie

Ryan Braun signs $105 million extension with the Brewers through 2020 with a mutual option for 2021
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #561
Butter
Coordinator

Through 2020???? Sheesh.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #562
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
This is real baseball not the fake baseball game.

Somehow the Mariners never got that message
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #563
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Oh please please please.....

PS - thought you would be interested in this Fangraphs piece on Charlie Morton.

Charlie Morton’s Dilemma | FanGraphs Baseball

I'd be hoping too if I were you and praying that McCourt doesnt have to sell the team
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #564
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'd be hoping too if I were you and praying that McCourt doesnt have to sell the team

Oh absolutely - I want Agent Ned running the Dodgers for my lifetime, and McCourt's promises of running a payroll at $80M seems right to me. Though I still don't know Jedi mind trick was pulled on Chad Billengsly(sp?) to sign the sweetheart extension that he did.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #565
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Went to the Cards game today... Lohse looks great thus far!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #566
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Through 2020???? Sheesh.

Yep, his original 8 year contract doesn't end until 2015 so this is for 2016-2020.

Risky business, but the Brewers are betting on contract inflation and actually the extension he just signed is front loaded as his salaries will decline by the last few years of his deal.

But it's a pretty big risk to have a guy at the wrong end of the defensive spectrum signed for so long. But as a Brewer fan and a small market fan, it's nice to see a guy of Braun's ability want to stay with the team that drafted him. It was Braun that approached the Brewers about the extension, undoubtedly getting the idea from Tulowitzski's deal with Colorado. While this deal is nice to see from a small market perspective, it's also a huge risk for a small market team.

Ryan Braun wants to be this generation's answer to Robin Yount in Milwaukee and I have to respect that.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #567
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Went to the Cards game today... Lohse looks great thus far!

Ryan Franklin thinks you are a crappy fan.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #568
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Dola... This just in: my fantasy sleeper James McDonald sucks ass.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #569
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Triola... This also just in: My other fantasy sleeper Daniel Hudson also sucks ass.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #570
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Yep, his original 8 year contract doesn't end until 2015 so this is for 2016-2020.

Risky business, but the Brewers are betting on contract inflation and actually the extension he just signed is front loaded as his salaries will decline by the last few years of his deal.

But it's a pretty big risk to have a guy at the wrong end of the defensive spectrum signed for so long. But as a Brewer fan and a small market fan, it's nice to see a guy of Braun's ability want to stay with the team that drafted him. It was Braun that approached the Brewers about the extension, undoubtedly getting the idea from Tulowitzski's deal with Colorado. While this deal is nice to see from a small market perspective, it's also a huge risk for a small market team.

Ryan Braun wants to be this generation's answer to Robin Yount in Milwaukee and I have to respect that.

I agree that in theory it's nice, but yow that's a lot of uncertainty tied up in one guy.

I guess ultimately I would like to see the Reds do the same with Votto, but it seems like Joey really wants to test the market in another 3 years.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #571
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Dola... This just in: my fantasy sleeper James McDonald sucks ass.

Oh yeah, he needs to get straightened out. I'm guessing he is probably out of options, so they will shut him down for bullshit arm fatigue and send him out for a rehab assignment to attempt to regain his confidence. Brad Lincoln isn't going to be worth anything. I'd monitor Rudy Owens though, as he could be in the rotation by June and he profiles to be 6-7k/9 with a reasonable WHIP/ERA.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #572
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'll put the kiss of death on him. Hochevar has a no hitter heading into the 6th inning.

So you're the asshole who turned that into a loss (to be fair, Ryan did it on the tv broadcast, too, from what I understand)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #573
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That said, Royals score 1 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th to split the series with the Indians. It's neat playing baseball for 1st place, even if it's just April. I know we won't have this in September but it's fun now.

Weird fluke of the schedule- Royals have only played 5 road games so far but will more than double this with 3 in Texas and 3 in Cleveland coming up.

SI

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #574
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Still, Hochevar is easily the best 5th starter in the league this season and there's very few teams that would turn down the opportunity to put him in their rotation.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #575
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ryan Franklin thinks you are a crappy fan.

Screw Ryan Franklin!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #576
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Still, Hochevar is easily the best 5th starter in the league this season and there's very few teams that would turn down the opportunity to put him in their rotation.

Yeah, the problem is that he's our Opening Day starter (realistically, I'd put him at #3 behind Francis and Chen, easily ahead of Davies and whatever combination of SOS/Mazzaro they use for 4/5)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #577
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Triola... This also just in: My other fantasy sleeper Daniel Hudson also sucks ass.

I'll raise you Jake Westbrook who I drafted late in 2 of 3 money leagues. Solid pitcher, good team. Thought he'd be an excellent sleeper. He may actually still be asleep.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #578
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anibal Sanchez has a no no thru 7
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #579
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Anibal Sanchez has a no no thru 7

Through 8. It's really one of the worse no hitters I've ever seen. he's hung at least three pitches an inning which the Rockies either foul back or hit on the screws straight at someone. Tulowitzki had a hit up the middle go off his leg that turned into an out. Herrera hit a shot up the middle when Fowler was stealing second that turned into a double play rather than a hit.

His slider has been nasty late in the count, but overall this is not one of those games where you watch it and say to yourself "this guy is unhittable"

That said, he's made the pitches he's needed to make and the Rockies hitters simply haven't taken advantage of the ridiculous amount of hangers over the plate. It will be interesting to see if he can finish the Rockies off.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #580
TroyF
Coordinator

So a decent pitch that Fowler barely gets wood on goes through the infield and breaks up the no no. I'm partially sad (who doesn't love watching a no no even if it's against your team?), partially happy because I don't think he deserved a no no for this and partially hopeful that the Rockies can make a rally with CarGo, Tulo and Smith coming up after Herrera.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #581
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Am I right thinking a scheduled Friday off is bizarre as shit for the Pirates? Especially this far into the season.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #582
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Am I right thinking a scheduled Friday off is bizarre as shit for the Pirates? Especially this far into the season.

They were scheduled to play the Nationals and were rained out. The game will be made up Monday, which was a scheduled off day.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #583
cougarfreak
College Starter

Interesting stuff.........the Reds manager, Dusty Baker said he and the umpiring crew were told that they had an hour window to the game started last night, so he went with his original starter. Larussa, pulls his, starts a long reliever, it starts raining 6 pitches into the game, and they sit for over two hours, so the Reds pitcher is burned after warming up. Larussa then inserts his original starter, and the Reds have to go with their long reliever. The umpiring crew backs up Baker's story. Bush league, or smart move?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #584
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Interesting stuff.........the Reds manager, Dusty Baker said he and the umpiring crew were told that they had an hour window to the game started last night, so he went with his original starter. Larussa, pulls his, starts a long reliever, it starts raining 6 pitches into the game, and they sit for over two hours, so the Reds pitcher is burned after warming up. Larussa then inserts his original starter, and the Reds have to go with their long reliever. The umpiring crew backs up Baker's story. Bush league, or smart move?

LaRussa beign LaRussa. It's bush league and I don't understand how somethig like this is allowed to happen by MLB.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #585
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If both managers have access to the same information I don't see how it is a bush league move. I love baseball but its unwritten rules are retarded.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If both managers have access to the same information I don't see how it is a bush league move. I love baseball but its unwritten rules are retarded.

The implication seems to be that the Reds & the umpires were given one set of information, the Cardinals were working from a different/newer/more accurate set of data.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #587
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

You're missing the point. Here's an excerpt from a ST. LOUIS article, not a Cincinnati one:

La Russa told Miguel Batista that he would be making an unscheduled start shortly before the Cardinals notified Baker of their decision to start the game on time. Baker said afterward he was informed by the Cardinals that a window of 45-60 minutes remained after first pitch, a version also supported by the umpiring crew.

"They told us we had a window of an hour. That window turned into two minutes," said crew chief John Hirschbeck.

I guess the unwritten rule you speak of, is don't lie to the other team and umpires?

Last edited by cougarfreak : 04-23-2011 at 11:12 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #588
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The implication seems to be that the Reds & the umpires were given one set of information, the Cardinals were working from a different/newer/more accurate set of data.

I don't see how one can't think this. The umpires delayed the game six pitches in. Six! Why would they have started the game if they knew it was that close? How convenient that LaRussa changes his starter, sends out someone else for those six pitches, and then magically has the guy he was going to start in the first place?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
is don't lie to the other team and umpires?

If it could be proven that the club intentionally misled the umpires in some way the fine ought to be severe, and should include some heavy duty suspensions for the front office.

That said, I always thought that the umpires had physical access to the radar & whatnot themselves, so I'm not clear on exactly how they were able to be misled.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #590
DanGarion
Coordinator

I don't see the issue. LaRussa decided to start a reliever because of the chance of rain, big deal, his strategy was different than Baker's. It's not like weather projections are some super secret data, and it's not like the teams can't rely upon additional weather information besides what MLB provides (I'm assuming that is where they get the weather information).

It really seems like this is much ado about nothing.

Last edited by DanGarion : 04-23-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #591
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If it could be proven that the club intentionally misled the umpires in some way the fine ought to be severe, and should include some heavy duty suspensions for the front office.

That said, I always thought that the umpires had physical access to the radar & whatnot themselves, so I'm not clear on exactly how they were able to be misled.

I'm confused about this as well, but the comments from the umpires seem to be that someone else gave them the report.

I'm with you on the first part. If this can be proven, there should be a number of Cardinal suspensions, including Larussa. If it is proven and the Cardinals win the NL Central by a game, Larussa should be suspended for the entirety of the playoffs.

But all of that is a big IF. Way too little information to go off of now.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #592
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't see the issue. LaRussa decided to start a reliever because of the chance of rain, big deal, his strategy was different than Baker's. It's not like weather projections are some super secret data, and it's not like the teams can't rely upon additional weather information besides what MLB provides (I'm assuming that is where they get the weather information).

It really seems like this is much ado about nothing.

It is a big deal if the Cardinals were the ones who gave the information to the umpires and the Reds and used a different set of information for their decision. Again, that's an if right now. If Larussa made his decision based on a gut feeling, good move. If he based it off of information his organization didn't give to the other team? Major, MAJOR deal.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #593
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It is a big deal if the Cardinals were the ones who gave the information to the umpires and the Reds and used a different set of information for their decision. Again, that's an if right now. If Larussa made his decision based on a gut feeling, good move. If he based it off of information his organization didn't give to the other team? Major, MAJOR deal.

Once again, it's not like weather information is a secret. The Reds should be relying on more than what the Cardinals may have told them.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #594
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Once again, it's not like weather information is a secret. The Reds should be relying on more than what the Cardinals may have told them.

That's what the umpires go off of, so if the Cardinals lied to a league entity that's a major deal as well. Look, if you want to make excuses that the Reds didn't do what they should have, be my guest. But if the league mandate is home teams give the information to the umps and visiting teams and the Cardinals INTENTIONALLY withheld information to gain a competitive advantage, that's cheating. If it can be proven, they should pay heavily for that decision.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #595
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
That's what the umpires go off of, so if the Cardinals lied to a league entity that's a major deal as well. Look, if you want to make excuses that the Reds didn't do what they should have, be my guest. But if the league mandate is home teams give the information to the umps and visiting teams and the Cardinals INTENTIONALLY withheld information to gain a competitive advantage, that's cheating. If it can be proven, they should pay heavily for that decision.

Sounds like a breakdown in the MLB, the home team shouldn't be providing the data, the MLB should have their own people that decide what is going on about the weather. But if this is the case then I see the Cardinals being responsible for the information. But honestly I don't see anything more then a slap on the wrist and warning. There is no way to prove that the results would be any different if there were different pitchers involved. It's the same reason why games with protests aren't overturned.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #596
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like a breakdown in the MLB, the home team shouldn't be providing the data, the MLB should have their own people that decide what is going on about the weather. But if this is the case then I see the Cardinals being responsible for the information. But honestly I don't see anything more then a slap on the wrist and warning. There is no way to prove that the results would be any different if there were different pitchers involved. It's the same reason why games with protests aren't overturned.

I've said zero about changing the outcome of the game. You can't. It's in the books and over with. IF and it's a big IF, but IF it can be proven the Cardinals intentionally gave false information to the umps and Reds, they should pay heavy fines and there should be major suspensions for anyone involved, up to and including Larussa.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #597
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I've said zero about changing the outcome of the game. You can't. It's in the books and over with. IF and it's a big IF, but IF it can be proven the Cardinals intentionally gave false information to the umps and Reds, they should pay heavy fines and there should be major suspensions for anyone involved, up to and including Larussa.

Someone else said that, I was just responding to you.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #598
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Good for LaRussa. I love some dirty play in this rivalry. Baker should do some shit to the Cards when the come to Cincy. It would be a shame if the water or a/c went out in the visiting locker room.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #599
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
LaRussa beign LaRussa. It's bush league and I don't understand how somethig like this is allowed to happen by MLB.

HAHA.. yeah, LaRussa has some magical power over the weather foreacast. Nobody on the Reds has a smart phone handy?
Old 04-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #600
lungs
Pro Rookie

Meanwhile, Mike Quade thinks teams should stop scoring runs in the 5th inning