Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #851
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Two runners gunned down at third base in one inning ffs. The Braves should have been able to at least tie things up that inning.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #852
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Charlie Morton looks like Sandy Koufax against the Reds all of a sudden.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #853
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Game cancelled unfortunately.

And it was sunny with no rain.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #854
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
The Mets have never thrown a no-hitter in their 50-season history. Just when the fans were starting to sense something special on a gray afternoon -- they began clapping as soon as No. 8 hitter Alex Cora hit a routine grounder -- Hernandez stepped up and spoiled this bid.

Hernandez (3-6) is one of baseball's best-hitting pitchers and bounced a solid single up the middle on the first pitch. The crowd gave Gee a nice round of applause and catcher Josh Thole went to the mound, giving his rookie pitcher a bat on the back.

Geez man, is that any way to treat a kid who had a no hitter into the 6th?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-19-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #855
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Geez man, is that any way to treat a kid who had a no hitter into the 6th?

Maybe if he had the no-hitter longer the catcher wouldn't have had to do that. He'll learn.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #856
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've gotten to the point where I have no interest in going to a game of any sort "just to be there." If I'm going to go, I want good seats. I'd much rather go to a local Lexington Legends single-A game and pay $40 for the family to sit in row 3 behind the 3rd base dugout than pay even $20 at an MLB game for the privilege of sitting in the nosebleeds.

Welcome to the next phase of curmudgeon

That's where I've been for years & seriously doubt I'd ever go to another major league (priced) event if not for my son occasionally hankering for the experience. And even at that, he even commented how much better the overall experience was at a AAA game vs Turner Field when you considered the bang for the buck.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #857
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Phillies have scored a total of 9 runs over their last 5 games. Tonight they have 9 in the bottom of the 3rd.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #858
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Welcome to the next phase of curmudgeon

That's where I've been for years & seriously doubt I'd ever go to another major league (priced) event if not for my son occasionally hankering for the experience. And even at that, he even commented how much better the overall experience was at a AAA game vs Turner Field when you considered the bang for the buck.

Eh, maybe its the park, but I've sat behind the 1st base line for playoff games and the bleachers for WS games last year during the Giants run, and the bleachers are honestly more fun - and at AT&T, a pretty damn good view (ie, the Ian Kinsler near-HR that bounced back was right in front of us). I also think the bleachers etc are a lot more fun - the seated crowd didn't want to stand / get excited in the same way as the rest of the crowd did, no going crazy, etc etc. Then again, I'm 28, and I'm guessing you and Ksyrup are both in the late 40's.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #859
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
and I'm guessing you and Ksyrup are both in the late 40's.

Now just downright not nice, you little whelp

(FTR, I turned 44 last month)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #860
samifan24
Pro Starter

Asdrubal Cabrera is having some week (and a fantastic season, too). The Indians keep finding ways to win. I'm having a blast watching them right now.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #861
Atocep
Coordinator

For anyone interested, BP has made any article 1 year or older free to everyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #862
Butter
Coordinator

Reds and Cards reminding me a bit of last year's dynamic.

Last year, Cards swept the Reds at GABP, and went on to go into a dramatic tailspin while the Reds caught fire and won the division going away.

This year, the Reds swept the Cards at GABP, and are currently in the midst of a 6 game losing streak, meanwhile the Cards have won 5 of 6 and are now 3.5 games up.

The bonus to this year, though, is that the Reds still have time to turn things around. By the time the Cards turned it around last year, it was too late.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #863
Ksyrup

Quote:
Eh, maybe its the park, but I've sat behind the 1st base line for playoff games and the bleachers for WS games last year during the Giants run, and the bleachers are honestly more fun - and at AT&T, a pretty damn good view (ie, the Ian Kinsler near-HR that bounced back was right in front of us). I also think the bleachers etc are a lot more fun - the seated crowd didn't want to stand / get excited in the same way as the rest of the crowd did, no going crazy, etc etc. Then again, I'm 28, and I'm guessing you and Ksyrup are both in the late 40's.

I have always been more into observation than emotion, so being in the crowd isn't really that important to me. It's more important that I be able to see things and understand what's going on. That's why I don't care if I ever attend another football game as long as I live.

Having said that, I turn 40 in about 3 months - ASSHOLE!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #864
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really sad day for Royals fans. He was a big part of much of our winning history.

Royals legend Paul Splittorff dies from complicatons of melanoma - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

Quote:
The Kansas City Royals announced Wednesday legendary pitcher and broadcaster Paul Splittorff has died.

A statement from the team said he died due to complications from melanoma.

"The all-time winningest pitcher in franchise history passed away this morning at the family home in Blue Springs, Mo.," the statement said.

There were no immediate details of funeral arrangements.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #865
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Was just going to post about that. Condolences to our Royals fans.

The Angels lost a really good radio announcer in Rory Markus a year and ahalf ago, and it's amazing how losing that connection to the team changes your perspective on your viewing and/or listening experience. Markus's call of the Erstad catching the last ball in the 2002 World Series for instance is one I have heard many times.

RIP Paul Splittorff

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #866
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This game may never end... Thought Brown was about to end it but the ball dies on the track in dead center...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #867
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If this doesn't end soon Baez's arm is going to fall off...

Looks like he is already starting to lose it....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 PM   #868
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

This is about to get interesting. Phils pinch hitting for Baez, no idea how they are going to play the 19th if it gets there.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #869
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Going to the 19th.... curious what the defense is going to look like... and who is going to pitch...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #870
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Yall just keep on playing. Wear the Phillies out, and the Reds as well (they come to Atlanta this weekend).
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #871
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sardina in at catcher, Ruiz to 3rd, Polanco to 2nd and Wilson Valdez in to pitch.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #872
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Chooch laying out trying to catch a foul ball near the stands, don't need another injury...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #873
GrantDawg

Watch the second basemen pitch his way out of the inning.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #874
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If nothing else the crowd has gotten back into it. Valdez gets through the inning.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #875
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He was throwing harder than Moyer used to pitch. Was mid to upper 80's.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #876
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

wow - this is entertaining.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #877
GrantDawg

Cincy has to know they are going to lose now. You can't get a hit versus a non-pitcher?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #878
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I guess offensively they don't have to worry about sending a pitcher to the plate any more.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #879
GrantDawg

Quote:
I guess offensively they don't have to worry about sending a pitcher to the plate any more.

It is going to be over very soon.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:17 AM   #882
GrantDawg

Quote:
Fisher is done, he looks like he has nothing left.

They should have tried the catcher for awhile.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #884
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Fuck you dusty you fucking idiot.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #885
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If Buster Posey didn't break his ankle I'll be shocked. Just saw the replay on MLB.com. The way his ankle bent plus his reaction has to mean no good.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM   #886
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It wouldnt be a bad thing if his arm did fall off.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #887
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
If Buster Posey didn't break his ankle I'll be shocked. Just saw the replay on MLB.com. The way his ankle bent plus his reaction has to mean no good.

I see that this injury has led the other Buster this morning to push for banning the catcher blocking home.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #888
Ksyrup

Does anyone know what the deal was with Cincinnati's 2 other relievers - I couldn't believe they sent Fisher out there for the 19th. Only Dusty Baker could turn a situation in which the opposing team is pitching its 2B into a loss. Put a fresh arm out there, get through the 19th, and you have to like your chances against the 2B in the 20th. But no, I guess he just wanted to end the game one way or the other.

Unless something was up. One of the guys went from the bullpen to the dugout in the middle of the 19th inning, so I took that to mean he was ready or at least wanted to pitch or offered to pitch, but he just watched that poor kid run out of gas like the rest of us did.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #889
Ksyrup

JoePoz on Splittorff:

Joe Blogs: Splitt
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #890
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Does anyone know what the deal was with Cincinnati's 2 other relievers - I couldn't believe they sent Fisher out there for the 19th. Only Dusty Baker could turn a situation in which the opposing team is pitching its 2B into a loss. Put a fresh arm out there, get through the 19th, and you have to like your chances against the 2B in the 20th. But no, I guess he just wanted to end the game one way or the other.

Unless something was up. One of the guys went from the bullpen to the dugout in the middle of the 19th inning, so I took that to mean he was ready or at least wanted to pitch or offered to pitch, but he just watched that poor kid run out of gas like the rest of us did.

My post above about Dusty being a stupid fuck was about this. When I got up this morning I came across his reasoning.

Maloney pitched 50-60 pitches in relief the day prior. He was unavailable. LeCure had extended relief two days prior, and said he couldn't get loose. He was too sore. I would imagine that is why he ran up to the clubhouse.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #891
Ksyrup

I guess that makes some sense, then. I knew it had to be something. Even the Reds announcers were questioning it.

Best part of that game, though, was Brandon Phillips getting picked off second while he joked around with Jimmy Rollins. I have no idea if Rollins was in on it and was trying to distract him or what, but that probably saved the game for the Phillies. Next guy walked, and they would have had the bases loaded with either 1 out or no outs (can't remember).
Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #892
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
JoePoz on Splittorff:

Joe Blogs: Splitt

Thanks for posting.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #893
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the injuries continue to mount for the Giants.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #894
cougarfreak
College Starter

Jesus Christ. Dusty Baker has Manuel Cairo batting clean up today.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #895
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Broken leg and torn ligaments is the report on Posey. Season over if true. What a shame.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #896
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

This shit needs to stop - with Carlos Santana last year as well. Running over a defenseless C is not excusable "as the way the game is" - its fucking idiocy.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #897
Ksyrup

If they enforce the existing rules and don't allow a catcher to camp out in front of a base unless he's got the ball, and they add a rule that requires a runner to make an attempt to tag the base instead of making a play on the catcher in an attempt to knock the ball out (admittedly, this would fall to a judgment call for the HP ump), then they could curb this. Maybe they can add something about not being able to cross home plate standing up if there is contact with the catcher (to try to force a slide).

On the Posey play, the worst part about it is the runner really didn't need to do what he did - if he had slid to the outside of the plate, he likely could have avoided the tag. The trickier play is when the catcher has the ball, is waiting for the runner, and he's basically got no chance at getting to the plate. You're essentially asking him to give up the run in the name of safety, which sounds right and good and all, but players want to win. And I don't think it's fair to make the catcher stand outside the basepath (assuming he has the ball) to give the runner a chance to be safe on what should be an automatic out. They just need to ensure that the play at the plate is a slide/tag, not a football collision.

Then there's always this alternative:

http://
Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #898
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This shit needs to stop - with Carlos Santana last year as well. Running over a defenseless C is not excusable "as the way the game is" - its fucking idiocy.

Posey was entering the base path as he swept for the tag and was out in front of the plate. The runner did what any runner ought to do in that situation.

Catcher's don't put their body in the base line, there's no collision, "problem" solved.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #899
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Posey was entering the base path as he swept for the tag and was out in front of the plate. The runner did what any runner ought to do in that situation.

Catcher's don't put their body in the base line, there's no collision, "problem" solved.

Yup.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #900
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Jesus Christ. Dusty Baker has Manuel Cairo batting clean up today.

That's Miguel. Maybe he's batting like 1-for-2 off Cliff Lee.

That's .500!