Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #1551
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Maybe the Lions will end up grabbing him. The Whole Snack Harrison trade worked out really well. G-Men West!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #1552
Izulde
Head Coach

Case Keenum to the Redskins makes me laugh. I'm not sure he's that much better than Colt McCoy.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #1553
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Maybe the Lions will end up grabbing him. The Whole Snack Harrison trade worked out really well. G-Men West!

I was hoping the Colts would grab him on draft day. I thought he was a no brainer. But nope, Ryan Grigson thought Philip Dorsett was the best choice.

Today Ballard probably won't offer him he's worth. We have some decent safeties but they're oft-injured.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #1554
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Case Keenum to the Redskins makes me laugh. I'm not sure he's that much better than Colt McCoy.
But I do think he's better than Joe Flacco.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #1555
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mr Big Chest probably going to the Bills. Good luck with that inaccurate trash QB.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #1556
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Mr Big Chest probably going to the Bills. Good luck with that inaccurate trash QB.

I would like have loved to have seen that happen. Grass isnt always greener. Kinda worried that he is talking his way out of going anywhere that the steelers think that they can get decent compensation for him, and he ends up being back.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #1557
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess Mr Big Chest isn't going to the Bills after all.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #1558
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess Mr Big Chest isn't going to the Bills after all.

I wannaleave! Get out! Go!

{AB to Buffalo}

NOT THAT BAD! NOPE!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #1559
sabotai
General Manager

Giants trading DE/OLB Oliver Vernon to the Browns for G Kevin Zeitler, and swapping mid round draft picks in the Browns favor (Browns get pick #132 and Giants get pick #155)

Last edited by sabotai : 03-08-2019 at 01:50 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #1560
QuikSand
lolzcat

Guess that shuts down the Browns getting Trey Flowers, which I thought might be interesting. Their pass rush ought to be pretty good, though.

The Browns are building a team.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #1561
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dolphins cut Danny Amendola, save $6 million

Because of course they did, and of course they would, and of course we all saw it playing out exactly this way when they absurdly signed him last season. Now, maybe he re-signs with the Pats for peanuts, right? Dammit.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #1562
QuikSand
lolzcat

FOF rant here...

So, this stuff happens all the time in the NFL. Not just the occasional swing-and-a-miss deal gone bad. All the time. Guys are getting cut after one season, or maybe two seasons, of a recently signed lucrative deal. The team walks away eating dead cap space, getting only a small share of the intended contract.

But when I play FOF, I almost never get to this point. Why is that? I don't tank. I really don't want my team to go 5-11. It's not like I don't give a damn, and am willing to just throw away a season.

One theory is it's time. A real year is a long time to sit and watch a team flail around badly. So, that adds real pressure to put something on the field... like Miami feeling they needed to sign clowns like Amendola and Albert Wilson... their WR group looked putrid without them (after dealing away Landry).

I guess the related thing is scouting. In-game in FOF I can see that the 9th year WR is only rated 34/34, he's really not much better than that 2nd year guy sitting around unsigned for minsal. In real life, scouting is tougher, right? A guy comes off an 850-yard season for another team and there's no such thing as "34/34" it's more like "complementary receiver with starting experience and decent route running." Perhaps the value of experience is more present in the NFL than it is in a computer game, too.

I don't know that a football sim would be more fun if I were constantly pushed to make moves like the ones that many/most front offices make. But it does seem like a meaningful disconnect.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #1563
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
FOF rant here...

So, this stuff happens all the time in the NFL. Not just the occasional swing-and-a-miss deal gone bad. All the time. Guys are getting cut after one season, or maybe two seasons, of a recently signed lucrative deal. The team walks away eating dead cap space, getting only a small share of the intended contract.

But when I play FOF, I almost never get to this point. Why is that? I don't tank. I really don't want my team to go 5-11. It's not like I don't give a damn, and am willing to just throw away a season.

One theory is it's time. A real year is a long time to sit and watch a team flail around badly. So, that adds real pressure to put something on the field... like Miami feeling they needed to sign clowns like Amendola and Albert Wilson... their WR group looked putrid without them (after dealing away Landry).

I guess the related thing is scouting. In-game in FOF I can see that the 9th year WR is only rated 34/34, he's really not much better than that 2nd year guy sitting around unsigned for minsal. In real life, scouting is tougher, right? A guy comes off an 850-yard season for another team and there's no such thing as "34/34" it's more like "complementary receiver with starting experience and decent route running." Perhaps the value of experience is more present in the NFL than it is in a computer game, too.

I don't know that a football sim would be more fun if I were constantly pushed to make moves like the ones that many/most front offices make. But it does seem like a meaningful disconnect.

There's also the churn of one year deals in FOF that maybe isn't such a real life thing. I mean, I don't know if I sign Amendola for 2 yr in FOF, I just wait until he's willing to do one year or I take the next closest thing to him on a one year. In real life, those seem to often be 2 yr/cut after 1 deals instead.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #1564
QuikSand
lolzcat

Two parts of this...maybe we just give up that a computer AI will be a strong opponent in a complex game like this.

But, in the most cutthroat multi player leagues, I almost never see serious bonus-heavy multi-year contracts turn into one-and-out or two-and-out.

Maybe we just don't have enough guys who semi-randomly lose their luster quickly? And that happens in real football/sports, but would be too disheartening in a sim game?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #1565
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quik, I think part of it is also that fit for scheme is something that a lot of games can't model right. I mean, look at Amendola. FOF would have had his ratings translate well everywhere, but the feel he's made with the Pats offense (the little things, like shading in a bit in certain routes or what have you) don't translate well.)

Pats trade a fifth for Philadelphia's Bennett and a seventh rounder. When you consider the contract that Flowers is going to get roughly in one year what Bennett is due over the next two, AND the Pats are likely going to get a comp pick (a third rounder?), this is a trade with good upside, and very little downside.

edit: And that's why the Pats are the Pats.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #1566
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I want fof to get away from coach modeling. But this seems like an area where assistant coaching and scheme matter a lot in real life.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #1567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Maybe we just don't have enough guys who semi-randomly lose their luster quickly? And that happens in real football/sports, but would be too disheartening in a sim game?

Interesting. Having played some FOF recently (the latest one afaik) after my kid decided he wanted to give it a try (gotta love Steam library sharing), I feel like the fall off the table guys occur at a really high clip.

Maybe that isn't quite "random" though. Apparently what has to happen for guys to go from stud to dud is for me to sign them.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #1568
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Mr Big Chest only worth a 3rd round and 5th round pick
Old 03-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #1569
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Mr Big Chest only worth a 3rd round and 5th round pick

Yep Buffalo or Oakland-guess none of the good teams wanted him?

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #1570
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's a sad day, no question, for Steeler fans. This is a very disappointing offseason, and we really don't have anything to complain about. It's been a very good, long run, but unless we can find some better management than we've had (and I'm talking GM) in the past 7-8 years, and better cap management we're heading down the slope.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #1571
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Raiders looking good this off-season.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #1572
bhlloy
Coordinator

For that crappy return, I might have just taken the comedy “trade him to the worst team in the league” option.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #1573
JPhillips
General Manager

We should have all known this would end with the Raiders.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:46 PM   #1574
Atocep
Coordinator

This ended up as poorly for the Steelers as it possibly could have. A 3rd and a 5th plus you take a $21 mil cap hit? I'm sure they did the best they could under the circumstances, but that's a kick to the balls.

Between the Cooper and AB trades the Raiders basically traded Cooper for AB + a 2nd. Not bad. They're still Jon Gruden figuring out how the game is played in 2019 away from being good though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #1575
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Barnwell had a nice piece about the Steelers contract structure. Basically they are the only team in the league still working with "FOF Style" deals and most modern teams have adjusted. And the front office still loves the "Cap Out" button because the majority of the veteran guys always carry huge cap numbers due to previous cap outs and general overpayment.

We typically get so little value from our rookie deals that we have to go over-sign a Joe Haden(who I really like) to calm down a dumpster fire in our secondary
Old 03-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #1576
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Name another team in the league who would pay Bud Dupree 9.3 million dollars?
Old 03-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #1577
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
For that crappy return, I might have just taken the comedy “trade him to the worst team in the league” option.
They didn't?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #1578
Atocep
Coordinator

Dan Snyder goes 6 years and $84 mil for Landon Collins.

I really think the Giants made the right call here.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #1579
bhlloy
Coordinator

Packers throwing money at players I've never heard of like it's going out of style. Either they have some analytics that the rest of the league doesn't, or they are going to be terrible for a couple years and Rodgers is going to have a complete meltdown.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #1580
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not sure what the Dolphins plan is - Amendola & Gore who are lauded for leadership qualities and setting the example are gone, Jawuan James is gone, looks like Cam Wake is gone, but they keep DeVante Parker???

If they bring in Fitzpatrick for double Fitzmagic, or Tyrod Taylor as rumoured, we know its full on tank mode.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #1581
JPhillips
General Manager

This feels so much like a replay of the Shula years for the Bengals. It wouldn't surprise me to see a replay of the David Klingler draft.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #1582
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is there a German word for when your team signs a perfectly good player to a perfectly fine contract, but you are just sad because it means a well-loved player will be moving on?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #1583
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Is there a German word for when your team signs a perfectly good player to a perfectly fine contract, but you are just sad because it means a well-loved player will be moving on?

Probably no words but I'm sure they've made a beer for it.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #1584
Thomkal
Head Coach

This will go well I'm sure:

Browns agree to trade for Giants WR Odell Beckham - NFL.com

for a 1st, 3rd, and S Peppers
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #1585
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Browns will be the Browns
Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #1586
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Love the move for the Giants. Don't want that cancer around Barkley.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #1587
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Am I in the minority? I'm hyped as hell if I am a Browns fan....
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #1588
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Dude, this is a fantastic move for the Browns IMO. I think most people are on your side, Scoobz.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #1589
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm with Imran on this one.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #1590
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno, I refuse to believe that the Browns could make a good decision ever.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #1591
miked
College Starter

And the Giants are about to pay Manning a $6M roster bonus. A 23M cap hit, but they did just surrender for the year. So I guess they are all in on a 1st round QB.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #1592
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great trade for the Browns. Top 3 WR for a mid first round pick? The Giants will suck as long as they have this brain trust in place.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-12-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #1593
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I dunno, I refuse to believe that the Browns could make a good decision ever.

It's becoming equally as unlikely that the Giants make one, IMO
Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #1594
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

FINALLY!!! It's been a long ass time since I have been excited for this sorry ass franchise... amazing what a solid QB and a competent GM can do for a team

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #1595
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
This will go well I'm sure:

Browns agree to trade for Giants WR Odell Beckham - NFL.com

for a 1st, 3rd, and S Peppers

Just the Sergeant or the whole Lonely Hearts Club?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #1596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just shows how fucking stupid the Steelers’ brain trust is for the Big Chest trade
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #1597
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Just the Sergeant or the whole Lonely Hearts Club?

No more for you Sir!

:::takes drink away:::
Old 03-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #1598
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't have a fucking clue what the Giants are doing.

The Browns offense could be top 5 next year.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #1599
spleen1015
Coordinator

Browns win the division!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #1600
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't have a fucking clue what the Giants are doing.

They're trying to get Manning to retire because they're not allowed to move on from him for some reason.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote