Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #1851
bhlloy
Coordinator

I dunno. If you throw in the Brown trade which was completely unconnected, sure. I still think the Mack deal (in which they specifically targeted the Bears because they thought the pick would be high) was a terrible one. Getting Brown for Cooper is a good exchange obviously, even if I'd have concerns about the circus around him and the Raiders could be the worst possible destination outside of New York.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #1852
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Roger's man hugs are out of control
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #1853
Izulde
Head Coach

Seeing a lot of places where Rosen is close to going to Miami. Dolphins want another asset if they're giving up #48 and prefer to only trade #73. Cardinals want #48 and nothing in addition to Rosen.

Even if it ends up 48 for Rosen alone, what a complete clusterfuck of handling Rosen this has been for Arizona from start to finish.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #1854
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the Rosen thing's a good move for Miami.

Here's my very lukewarm take that will allow me to quantify my pro-Rosen-ness:

I predict that Rosen will finish in the top 15 in Football Outsider's QBR for at least one season before his rookie deal expires.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #1855
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah I'm fine with it for a mid-2nd round pick. Worth the flier and frees them up to look at other needs if he pans out.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #1856
molson
General Manager

Dolphins should hold out for Rosen for #73. Arizona waited until after the other teams with QB needs drafted QBs in the first round.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #1857
tarcone
Coordinator

Interesting insider take on Drew Lock.
A friend from work is good friends with a DC in the NFL. Seems Lock is a prima donna. Entitled and not much of a leader.

I see him sliding pretty far.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #1858
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards GM Steve Keim-"Bottom line is, Josh is a really good football player," Keim said. "We're not going to get in the business of just letting good football players walk out of here."-yeah letting your franchise QB go for a 2nd rounder one year after drafting him is not just walking
Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #1859
tarcone
Coordinator

Think the Broncos would use one or both of their 2nd round picks to get Rosen?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #1860
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Dolphins should hold out for Rosen for #73. Arizona waited until after the other teams with QB needs drafted QBs in the first round.

This, especially when you look at what the Steelers got for Antonio Brown in a similar situation where everyone knew they had to trade him. For all the talk of waiting for somebody to get injured in preseason, a future pick isn't going to help keep Kingsbury and Keim employed past the next couple of season.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #1861
Thomkal
Head Coach

2019 NFL Draft rumors: Cardinals didn't shop Josh Rosen until right before draft, and the price was steep - CBSSports.com

I'm done with Keim
Old 04-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #1862
bhlloy
Coordinator

You never know what the true story is behind the scenes, but I think we know enough to know that Keim is astonishingly incompetent.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #1863
bhlloy
Coordinator

If the Rosen deal happens, it will now be for a late second rounder
Old 04-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #1864
Izulde
Head Coach

Love it. Move down, still stay in the 2nd, and grab an extra 2nd for next year (plus a 6th but that's whatever)

Old 04-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #1865
Izulde
Head Coach

48 turns into Rosen, 2020 2nd round pick, 2020 5th round pick, 6th round pick this year.

Fucking BEAUTIFUL.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #1866
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Rock Ya-Sin is the best name for a NFL player ever.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #1867
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Rock Ya-Sin is the best name for a NFL player ever.

Agreed.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #1868
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
48 turns into Rosen, 2020 2nd round pick, 2020 5th round pick, 6th round pick this year.

Fucking BEAUTIFUL.

Sigh, how is that a good trade for the Cards? You had all winter to trade Rosen and that's the best you can do?
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 PM   #1869
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Sigh, how is that a good trade for the Cards? You had all winter to trade Rosen and that's the best you can do?

That's a fair possibility IMO.

In a stronger QB draft the Cards would have been overpaying.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #1870
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

On the whole, considering the draft is pretty much the last time I'll ever have any interest in these players, I've been fairly entertained by skimming the draft's first two rounds. Amusement counts as entertainment after all.

There's more comedy this year than I can recall in quite a while. Reaches & overdrafts abound, nary a QB I believe will ever win a playoff game (no predictions about reaching the playoffs from me though, 8-8 can be enough & that doesn't require top flight QB play)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:17 AM   #1871
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

The worst part is the Cards already paid his signing bonus - they basically just gave a #10 pick the previous year away for free to another team. If it was for some legendary coach who wanted to bring his own guy in, maybe I can see it. For a guy like Kingsbury who was basically a very good college offensive coordinator and a bad head coach, with zero NFL experience? Yeah, I'd have told him he's going with Rosen or he can stuff it.

That is unless they saw something last year with Rosen that tells them he's just not going to be an NFL QB, but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that's the case.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #1872
tarcone
Coordinator

And the Cardinals drafted him without a No-baseball clause. He could be gone and then the organization will be screwed.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #1873
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I could see the argument that they decided they didn't want Rosen to be their guy, from dealing with him every day. After all, on top of his noted outspoken ways, Rosen is often described as arrogant and thinking he's the smartest guy in the room. He sometimes says the right things but also then says or does petty things.

His UCLA teammates all seemed to be fine with him, but maybe that wasn't the case with the vets on the Cards. From that perspective, it makes me wonder if Rosen will learn more tact in handling vets and the press before he is bombed out of the league.

If he gets out of his own way and focuses on becoming a great QB, he has all the physical and mental tools to become a top 10, even top 5 QB. But he could remain a precocious brat, too, and never get his teammates on his side.

Regardless, rhe Cards shipped off their best actual and potential QB and drafted a guy for an offense that is questionable to work in the NFL, and whose size suggests he might be crushed and killed in his first real game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-27-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #1874
Atocep
Coordinator

If you're going to hire a guy like Kingsbury you have to give him every opportunity to succeed and that means let him pick his QB. The Cardinals may have botched how they handled Rosen this offseason, but trading him was the right call. Keeping him with Kingbury is setting both up for failure.

I'm not a big Kyler Murray believer and I'm not really a Rosen believer either, but both are now in solid situations with a chance to succeed.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #1875
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
If you're going to hire a guy like Kingsbury you have to give him every opportunity to succeed and that means let him pick his QB. The Cardinals may have botched how they handled Rosen this offseason, but trading him was the right call. Keeping him with Kingbury is setting both up for failure.

I'm not a big Kyler Murray believer and I'm not really a Rosen believer either, but both are now in solid situations with a chance to succeed.

Two first round QB's in two consecutive seasons tells me either the owner or the GM is not competent.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 04-27-2019 at 07:07 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #1876
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Two first round QB's in two consecutive seasons tells me either the owner or the GM is not competent.

Or Both?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:17 PM   #1877
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Not going to defend either, but that's looking at things without context. With context dumping Rosen to draft a guy Kingsbury wants makes sense. Does anyone really think Rosen would run that offense with any success?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #1878
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Not going to defend either, but that's looking at things without context. With context dumping Rosen to draft a guy Kingsbury wants makes sense. Does anyone really think Rosen would run that offense with any success?

You need to be incompetent to get to that point - some combination of drafting Rosen, hiring Wilks, firing Wilks after one year.

If all of those things are forgiven, then maybe hiring Kingsbury, letting him call the shots at QB, and dumping Murray makes sense in a vacuum, we'll see.

There are those NBA and NFL teams you wonder how they can stay so bad when they pick at the top of the draft every year, this looks like the early stages of that. Would it be any surprise if Kingsbury and Rosen flame out in two or three years and we do this all again? Maybe at that point cutting them loose will be a good idea, again in a vacuum, but when these bad decisions start to stack like this it can really screw up a franchise.

Last edited by molson : 04-27-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #1879
PilotMan
Head Coach

Happy to see NDSU QB Easton Stick go to the Chargers in the 5th. That's another big feather in the cap for the school.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #1880
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or Both?

For sure. Hopefully I'm wrong and this sudden change in direction will actually get this team progressing.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #1881
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Happy to see NDSU QB Easton Stick go to the Chargers in the 5th. That's another big feather in the cap for the school.

The only thing I wanted for Christmas 1991 (or was it 1990?) was an Easton stick. The old gold aluminum hockey stick that is.

Bravo to Easton Stick's parents on an outstanding name. Probably should have been a hockey player though.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #1882
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
You need to be incompetent to get to that point - some combination of drafting Rosen, hiring Wilks, firing Wilks after one year.

If all of those things are forgiven, then maybe hiring Kingsbury, letting him call the shots at QB, and dumping Murray makes sense in a vacuum, we'll see.

There are those NBA and NFL teams you wonder how they can stay so bad when they pick at the top of the draft every year, this looks like the early stages of that. Would it be any surprise if Kingsbury and Rosen flame out in two or three years and we do this all again? Maybe at that point cutting them loose will be a good idea, again in a vacuum, but when these bad decisions start to stack like this it can really screw up a franchise.

For the record, I think Keim is a terrible GM and Kingsbury was a bad hire.

I'm not sure what I would have done in their shoes. You definitely have to trade Rosen prior to the draft. No one thought we were going to see Rosen running RPOs in the Kingsbury offense so by holding onto him they just painted themselves into a corner on draft day.

The smart play would have probably been trade Rosen prior to the draft, take Bosa at 1 or force the 49ers to trade up for him, and then look at one of the spread/air raid QBs later in the draft (Stidham or Grier). The Cardinals are unlikely to win many games this year no matter what, so building up the roster and positioning yourself for a much better QB class would have been better in the long run. Keim may feel that hiring a guy like Kingsbury and drafting Murray buys him time to fix the mess he created though.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:54 PM   #1883
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not sure what I would have done in their shoes.

I'm just going back a little further in the evaluation than you. What they could have done is not draft Rosen or hire Steve Wilks if they were going to turn on both so quickly. It was a total waste of a year and of a top 10 draft pick.

The Kingsbury/Murray combo doesn't inspire a ton of confidence for me. It just doesn't scream, "oh my god we have to blow up everything - Kingsbury is available!!" And maybe in 2 years it will make sense, at that time, to cut both loose and draft another QB in the top 10. Even if that's the right decision then, they still got to that point through their own incompetence (if that's how things go).

Last edited by molson : 04-28-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:16 AM   #1884
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gettlemen press conferences are the best.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:58 AM   #1885
QuikSand
lolzcat

Honestly, what I want at this point out of NFL teams that I don't even semi root for is:

-palace intrigue, usually of the "WTF are they doing?" variety
-something interesting to watch on-field from time to time
-players relevant for fantasy leagues, especially based on "inside" info

Right now, the Cardinals are GREAT for all this, so hats off fellas, keep on keepin' on.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #1886
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints had a boring but productive draft with a minimum of picks.

Unger retired, so they drafted the best C to replace him.

They were weak at safety depth, so they jumped on one who fell.

And . . . that's it. Just fill some holes and try not to fall behind.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #1887
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Honestly, what I want at this point out of NFL teams that I don't even semi root for is:

-palace intrigue, usually of the "WTF are they doing?" variety
-something interesting to watch on-field from time to time
-players relevant for fantasy leagues, especially based on "inside" info

Right now, the Cardinals are GREAT for all this, so hats off fellas, keep on keepin' on.
Yeah, clearly moving on from coaches and top 10 drafted QB's after one season isn't a good long term strategy, but as a neutral fan I'm actually interested to watch the Kliff/Kyler(/Andy Isabella!) Air Raid show. The Dave Gettleman era in New York is also amazing!

Patriots draft was highlighted by the 1st 1st round WR of the Belichick era in N'Keal Harry, who I love. Belichick and the brain trust are clearly all-in on the big WR/CB era (also picking 6'4 211 CB Joejuan Williams early 2nd despite DB's being our deepest position group), but Harry seems to have better speed with the ball in his hands, is a precise route runner, and goes up and gets the ball too. Also added a QB in the 4th I've always like in Jarrett Stidham, which is a great spot to see if he develops in 2-3 years instead of picking a QB high & anointing them a Brady successor. I didn't love Chase Winovich's production at Michigan, but man he has a chance to quickly become the most hated Patriot if he pans out. Got some nice OL depth too. And just like last draft where people were predicting a QB to the Patriots every pick, they actually managed to go all 7 rounds without picking any TE. I'll choose to assume this is because they think Gronk will be back in November, not that they actually think Austin Sefarian-Jenkins is the answer
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #1888
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Chuck Klosterman had an article or an interview once where he noted that football is both the most progressive and the most conservative sport we have. And, with that framing in mind, I present the Arizona Cardinals.

On the one hand, super progressive: Hiring a coach who failed in college and drafting a QB #1 overall whose measurables would have had him undraftable as a QB 10 years ago. And everyone is totally on board with this idea--try to be five years ahead of the curve. Care more about the plays your coach can draw up than whether he could recruit to Texas Tech. Care more about your QBs arms and legs and brain than his height. Progressive. Cutting edge.

Then you also have this:

Cardinals staffers agreeing that Josh Rosen needed to go because he believed in things like recycling, and they didn't want that radicalism spreading to the rest of the team.

It is the most conservative and the most progressive sport we have.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #1889
JPhillips
General Manager

I can't remember the player that had a scouting report leak calling into question his abilities because he was raised by women.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #1890
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can't remember the player that had a scouting report leak calling into question his abilities because he was raised by women.

Makes sense. If I'm an NFL team looking for a QB, my list of desirable candidate backgrounds is probably something like this.

Raised by:
1. Nuclear family
2. Single father
3. Grandparents
4. Uncle
5. Single mother aka community outreach programs while mom worked
6. Wolves
7. 'Women'
8. Environmentalists
9. Homosexuals
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #1891
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
On my list I'd move wolves to #3
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #1892
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Telvin Smith quitting is kind of odd. He’ll have to pay back 2.4 million or so. Just seems financially reckless
Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #1893
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Telvin Smith quitting is kind of odd. He’ll have to pay back 2.4 million or so. Just seems financially reckless
It's 2019 and the player empowerment era. When he indicates a desire to play some new team will trade for him and give him a market value contract like he didn't just take a year off.

(Obviously I also hope it's not a serious family illness etc)
Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 AM   #1894
RainMaker
General Manager

I was wondering if we'll ever hit a point where players take a year off to have their bodies fully recover. My guess is no with how age is perceived by GMs. But would it make sense for a guy who is 28 to take a year off and get all his injuries healed and his body right? Can't fathom these guys get fully healthy in the offseason.

Will be interesting to see how Bell looks next season.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:41 AM   #1895
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I was wondering if we'll ever hit a point where players take a year off to have their bodies fully recover. My guess is no with how age is perceived by GMs. But would it make sense for a guy who is 28 to take a year off and get all his injuries healed and his body right? Can't fathom these guys get fully healthy in the offseason.

Will be interesting to see how Bell looks next season.
Or if Gronk comes back in November...
Old 05-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #1896
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
On my list I'd move wolves to #3

Depends on the grandparents
Old 05-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #1897
JPhillips
General Manager

I was behind a truck yesterday with a Jets brand license plate reading: LVBELL
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #1898
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was behind a truck yesterday with a Jets brand license plate reading: LVBELL

Did it crash and burn?
Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #1899
JPhillips
General Manager

Adam Gase = Mangini 2.0
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #1900
bhlloy
Coordinator

Everyone knows the best time to fire a GM is after you let him spend $125 million in free agency and the draft, duh...