Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Evaluating rookies in FOF 8 - position experience

What role does this information play in our assessment of rookies?

I confess that I have been basically ignoring it. And, perhaps not coincidentally, I tend to have low-rated drafts, because of...reasons.

So...do we learn something from this bit of information?

I'm looking at late-round cornerbacks in a MP league right now, and among the relative flotsam and jetsam out there, I'm seeing wide variations in the stuff that many of us know to look for... like static bars like bump and punishing... all over the place, lots of lousy ones, occasional guys with one good one, most of the good-statics/good-combine guys are gone by these late rounds.

Anyway, I also realize that these rookies are all over the map with their numeric rating (I have a skin applied, forgive me if your screen doesn't show a number, I have forgotten the default appearance)... but it seems to be pretty random from 3 to 6. It does seem to track, at least somewhat, with the player's "% Developed" number... the guys in the 40+ range tend to be the 5/6 guys, and the lower Dev% guys are often the 3/4, but there do seem to be exceptions.

Is there some sort of rule or thumb here? Higher Dev % is a good thing... also true that a higher number in position familiarity is a good thing? More ready to play? (Or does it possibly work in the reverse... if he's already highly developed but has a low rating for his positional play, then he has more room to grow there with experience?)

Would welcome any thoughts, as this place seems to be getting a bit more candid of late.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmmm... looking more closely, maybe the link between Dev % and position rating is more direct than I had thought. Looking in vain for the outliers than I had thought I had seen initially. Maybe the latter is just a function of the former, after all.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Squirrel
Mascot

Is this the number below the bars Quik i.e. where it says something like 'FB 4' under the bars?

Have never really looked at it. I always blithely assumed it was % developed / 10 for a prospect i.e. 37% dev leads to a 4. Maybe not uniformly, but broadly.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, that's it, and yes, that's about all there is to it. For offensive players there's a variety in how comfy he'd feel playing out of position (not sure how well that translates to simply being slotted there versus a formal position switch) but for defense where the game no longer delineates... it's just a low-grain version of the %Dev.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
finkellll
n00b

I've never paid attention to that number while drafting. I've always let height and weight drive which position a player will end up at.
finkellll is offline   Reply With Quote