Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #3101
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Bangkok Dangerous (6 / 10): A mildly-entertaining action flick, with a well-used plotline (a hitman grows tired of bloodshed and finally develops empathy for his fellow human beings). I would have rated this at only a 5, but it gets an extra point for not having a typical Hollywood ending.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #3102
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
The Reader (1/10) -- Simply a horrendous movie. I'm sure there are a few folks who will love it but overall it is just pointless. Watch the first half hour if you want to see Kate Winslet constantly naked and then turn it off.

I might be in the minority here, but she doesn't even look that great naked. Sure I'd hit it, but it's not like seeing the Kate Winslet of 10 years ago naked for half the film.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #3103
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
W. - 7/10: Hey, I actually liked it (though I had a feeling I would). It was a very well done juxtaposition of the Bush Administration's decision to go to war in Iraq and how 43 got there. And then the aftermath of the occupation. Some great acting performances and nice showdowns between Dreyfuss (who played Cheney) and Wright (who played Powell). Brolin was brilliant as George W. Bush. Just brilliant.

Also a nice story of how the always disappointing W. used his parents' (Barbara's as well as George's) lack of respect in him as motivation. It also tends to provide a more sympathetic portrayal of the President than you would expected from an Oliver Stone film, especially in scenes like when he finds out there are no WMDs and his increasing frustration with his staff.

Parts could have been trimmed. Powell and Cheney's amiable conversation with 41 after the Iraq War could have been removed (it was too much into the world of the administration staff and his father than W. himself, IMO). But overall, a good movie which ran a slight bit too long.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on this, too. I loved the Cheney-Powell showdowns. The one big weakness in the movie was Thandie Newton (who I usually like) as Rice. She seemed more interested in imitating Rice in SNL fashion than actually trying to perform her as a 3 dimensional person. Contrast that with Brolin's performance, where he really delves into many different layers of W's persona.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #3104
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I got that feeling from Newton as well. Unlike say, Cromwell, who didn't try to attempt 41's manner of speech, but wanted to protray the man, Newton seemed to just want to do an imitation.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #3105
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I might be in the minority here, but she doesn't even look that great naked. Sure I'd hit it, but it's not like seeing the Kate Winslet of 10 years ago naked for half the film.

She definitely showed her age this go around.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #3106
Tigercat
College Starter

I thought the biggest problem with W is that it was a schizo movie, it didn't fully know if it was trying to be satire or something more serious.

I thought the moments of satire and the moments of a serious biopic both worked pretty well, they just didn't work very well mixed together into one film. Not as well as they could have had Stone shown a little more discipline and patience.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #3107
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Synecdoche, New York - Tree

I can't wait to see this movie. I *loved* Adaptation.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #3108
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I thought the biggest problem with W is that it was a schizo movie, it didn't fully know if it was trying to be satire or something more serious.

I thought the moments of satire and the moments of a serious biopic both worked pretty well, they just didn't work very well mixed together into one film. Not as well as they could have had Stone shown a little more discipline and patience.

I don't think there was really much satire there. It was generally a mostly serious look at the psychological underpinnings of the 43rd President.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #3109
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I don't think there was really much satire there. It was generally a mostly serious look at the psychological underpinnings of the 43rd President.

One example I would give is the acting done on the backdrop of a generally seriously written movie. Almost every actor and actress played their part like a cartoon version of the real thing. Brolin gets a pass or even a good grade, as we can easily suspend belief because many of Bush's mannerisms are almost cartoon-like. I don't blame the actors and actresses, because they did their job with consistency, I blame Stone for not reeling them in more.

Cromwell's Bush was the least ambition acting performance, but it was the best in my mind.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #3110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

See, I just don't see that at all. I think Newton was the only one who really went too cartoony. I think Dryfuss and Wright, in particular nailed their characters.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #3111
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Of course, Dreyfuss already had practice playing pretty much the exact same part in The American President.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #3112
sabotai
General Manager

Slumdog Millionaire - 8/10
I have not seen the rest of the Best Picture nominees, but by itself, this was definitely good enough to win Best Picture.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #3113
Lorena
Unregistered

Traitor - 6/10

Didn't feel as drawn as I thought I'd be.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #3114
RainMaker
General Manager

Milk (8 out of 10) - Sean Penn is really a great actor and you don't even realize it's him in the film. He literally becomes Harvey Milk. The movie was good, not great though. If Penn is not in the film, it's probably a 6 out of 10. Went a little long for my liking but was moving.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:13 AM   #3115
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Repo! The Genetic Opera (10/10)

I could totally see someone giving this a 0/10. But this movie is right up my alley and I thought it was one of the most brilliant things ever. If you haven't heard of it, it's a horror/musical/rock opera.

The premise is that in the future, a company called Geneco gives organ transplants. But if you aren't able to pay your bills for them, a repo man comes and takes them out.

If you like horror or rock opera type stuff, definitely check this out.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 04-30-2009 at 05:14 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:57 AM   #3116
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Off to catch Wolverine tonight. Yay.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 04-30-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #3117
Butter
Coordinator

I've Loved You So Long - 9.5

Really enjoyed this movie. It is almost unbearably depressing and sad at times, but it is also somewhat hopeful at other times to avoid driving viewers off a cliff. Kristin Scott-Thomas is outstanding in this. It is French, so be warned. It avoids melodrama adroitly and is just solid all the way through. Surprised by how much I liked this. Avoid spoilers beforehand if you can, makes it that much better.

Last edited by Butter : 04-30-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #3118
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Body of Lies (6 / 10): A decent plot-line in this one, and a halfway-decent twist at the end, but the performances by Leonardo DiCraprio and Russell Crowe were uninspired. I'm completely hit-or-miss with Leonardo. Sometimes he's brilliant (Gangs of New York) and sometimes he is very mediocre.

The Bucket List (8 / 10): A little sappy at times, but overall quite good. Sometimes funny, sometimes poignant. Nicholson and Freeman were their usual brilliant selves.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #3119
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Body of Lies seemed to be just a scatterbrained movie slapped together and sold because it had two very good actors. I agree both Crowe and Decaprio seemed to be going thru the motions but i think the movie itself was just bad which made them look worse than a good script might have. I give Body of Lies 4/10.

On a side note someone needs to tell Crowe to stay away from the buffet table.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #3120
path12
Coordinator

Marley and Me (incomplete) I couldn't finish the last 10 minutes or so of the movie because I was busy sobbing uncontrollably and hugging my dog. Cute up to then.

Why the fuck anyone would OWN and watch this more than once is beyond me.

Last edited by path12 : 04-30-2009 at 05:11 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #3121
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So.... you hated it?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #3122
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
So.... you hated it?

I think I'll be able to handle the joys and sorrows of a full life span of my dog just fine in real time. But man, to do the whole arc in an hour and a half? Takes a stronger man than me.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #3123
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

State of Play (7/10)

Pretty fun flick to watch. Not a great movie by any means but well acted and interesting enough plot.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #3124
TheNorm
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Marley and Me (incomplete) I couldn't finish the last 10 minutes or so of the movie because I was busy sobbing uncontrollably and hugging my dog. Cute up to then.

I refuse to watch this movie simply because it looked like it had that "Old Yeller" type ending to me (not specifically, but you get my point). I think I was traumatized by that movie when I was 5 or something.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #3125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah, no desire to see what happens at the end.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #3126
Swaggs
Coordinator

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (7/10) -- I had avoided seeing this one because it did so poorly at the box office, but I thought it was a pretty good comedy. A spoof of the recent music biopics (Ray, Walk the Line) that was an enjoyable trip through the different phases of the rock and roll era. I think it was a good mix of repeating gags (various introductions to new drugs throughout history from Tim Meadows, the "traumatic" loss of smell, relationship with his father) and just plain old ridiculousness (John C. Reilly playing a 14-year old, the death of his brother, his children). Lots of fun cameos, too.

A pretty fun movie -- not one I would buy, but if I caught it again on cable, I'd probably watch it again. Kind of makes me want to see some of the other, more recent, films within this genre that I haven't seen (Step Brothers, Semi-Pro).

Last edited by Swaggs : 04-30-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #3127
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah, no desire to see what happens at the end.

Spoiler
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #3128
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

Like a week after that movie came out, I had to put my 11 year old Rottweiler down. My wife and I have sworn off ever watching it, KNOWING that was how it ends. Going through it in real life once was quite enough.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 AM   #3129
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
A pretty fun movie -- not one I would buy, but if I caught it again on cable, I'd probably watch it again. Kind of makes me want to see some of the other, more recent, films within this genre that I haven't seen (Step Brothers, Semi-Pro).

Oof, save yourself the trouble both of those were terrible (and I kind of liked Walk Hard as well).
Old 05-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #3130
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I loved Step Brothers, but hated Semi-Pro, FWIW.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #3131
Tigercat
College Starter

Maybe it is just me, I can cry at all kinds of good movies and I love animals, but I didn't find the end of Marley and Me that sad. Sad, sure, but not epic Old Yeller sad. He was a fairly old dog that had seen a lot of good times, and the family had plenty of time to say goodbye to him. We should all be so lucky with all our pets and loved ones to experience death in the same way.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #3132
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought Marley and Me was going to be an easy happy-go-lucky film. No one warned me about this movie and all I can say is why the fuck would you ever make a film like this and not give us some advance notice? As someone who's been in that situation before, it hit close to home and basically destroyed me for the rest of the night.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #3133
sabotai
General Manager

The Strangers 5/10 - I think I'm about to give up on American horror movies. They just don't do it for me anymore. This had some good parts, some promise, some potential, but didn't deliver.

It's also hilarious when you look up the "true story" that inspired the film. They'll reach for anything just so that can throw "true story" on the screen. I should penalize it a few more points for that.

The Messengers 2/10 - And this was just awful. A horror movie that flat out sucked.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #3134
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I thought Marley and Me was going to be an easy happy-go-lucky film. No one warned me about this movie and all I can say is why the fuck would you ever make a film like this and not give us some advance notice? As someone who's been in that situation before, it hit close to home and basically destroyed me for the rest of the night.

Aroo? I thought everyone knew how this movie ends. I've had no interest in watching it and I knew the ending the week it came out.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #3135
Lorena
Unregistered

A Cry in the Dark - 6/10

Meryl Streep plays Lindy Chamberlain, a Seventh Day Adventist who is accused of killing her daughter in Australia after a dingo took her baby.

I must admit that when the movie first started, I kept thinking of the Seinfeld episode when Elaine says, "Maybe the dingo ate your baby". Decent movie but it didn't grab me like I thought it would; good performance by Streep though.

Last edited by Lorena : 05-02-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #3136
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

X-Men Origins: Wolverine 7/10

It's entertaining enough, full of action. But, if you actually stop to think of the story they're trying to tell, you quickly realize that it's full of inconsistencies and has tons of plot holes. If you take it for what it is and DON'T think about the "plot," you probably won't be terribly disappointed.
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #3137
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

X-Men: Wolverine (3/10)

Complete letdown for me. I was pretty excited for it, but I did have a gut feeling that I was going to be disappointing. It was worse than I expected.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #3138
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Aroo? I thought everyone knew how this movie ends. I've had no interest in watching it and I knew the ending the week it came out.
With any pet movie I know there is a chance to have a sad ending, but fuck, they dragged it out in excruciating detail.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #3139
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Let the Right One In(8.5/9)

Just got done watching it so still taking it in. Probably moves a little higher later on. The directing and music was top notch and really helped a lot. If the subtitled version didn't have the overdubbed voices I should have watched that version instead. Those were annoying as hell.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #3140
Lorena
Unregistered

Timecrimes - 8.5/10

Was a little slow at first, but once the naked chick shows up, the movie gets better. I recommend watching it with subtitles as the voice over actors were baaaaaaaaaad.

EDIT: Watched it a second time w/ subtitles and it was much more enjoyable. The amount of detail is just awesome, they didn't overlook anything.

Last edited by Lorena : 05-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #3141
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

X-Men Origins: Wolverine 6/10 - I went in with pretty high hopes and came with an Eh feeling. I thought some the CGI was very poorly done. The ction was decent. Being a fan of the Xmen comics there were some major changes that just did not make sense and the super bad guy was just plain bad. As was mentioned previously there were also some plot holes kinda gnawed at me. I went in expecting a lot which probably hurt the score as well.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #3142
Groundhog
Coordinator

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 8.5/10

OK, I was a pretty big Wolverine nut back in the day, but I'd forgotten the basic plot in the Origins storyline. It wasn't until I got home after the movie and re-read them that I noticed the variations in the storylines. Still, I really enjoyed this movie. Great action scenes, decent characters (Gambit needed to be more Cajun!), and fun.

Now I need a sequel with ninja and samurai!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #3143
Lorena
Unregistered

Ocean's 11 - 8/10

Very enjoyable although it took a bit to set up.

Toxic Avenger - 7/10

A janitor gets pushed by bullies into toxic waste and gets horribly disfigured and becomes a superhero.

Wow was the acting bad, very over the top, but ya can't beat a movie where a guy gets beat with his own arm after it gets ripped off. This movie falls into the "so bad it's good" category.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:17 AM   #3144
Atocep
Coordinator

X-Men Origins: Wolverine: 4/10 - Was not impressed. Some major changes to the established storyline along with a lot of action movie cliche and a weak plot. The most interesting parts of the movie were the scenes involving Wolverine and Sabertooth. The introduction of Gambit was solid and made him seem like an interesting character, but then he disappears for the most part. Deadpool was wasted as a character. The Agent Zero in this movie was a completely different character than the one in the comics.

Like the 3rd X-Men movie, this one wasn't much more than a bunch of familiar names/characters thrown on the screen with no plot or backstory to tie them together. A complete waste of characters like Agent Zero, Deadpool, Bolt, Wraith, and The Blob. Too many superheroes and too much storyline (even in its butchered state) crammed into two hours.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #3145
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I find it kind of interesting that I usually don't like comic book movies and I think I've rated Wolverine fairly high compared to others here. Granted, I went in with no expectations, because I just don't care about comic book series/characters and really only saw the movie because I was on a date and nothing else was playing.

But, with no expectations for it to be decent, I was at least entertained by the action.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #3146
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Appaloosa (3 / 10): Ed Harris should stay in front of the camera and not behind it, because the job he did as Director on this was horrible. A complete waste of his own acting talents as well as Viggo Mortenson's, the characters felt flat and lifeless. There were also spots in the storyline where significant periods of time passed between scenes, but the transitions were awful and you have no concept of just how much time has passed. A severe disappointment overall.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (5.5 / 10): Moderately entertaining. If you enjoyed the first one, you'll probably like this one as well. Some of the attempts at humor fall flat, mostly because Ron Perlman just can't do comedy (love him in Sons of Anarchy though), but the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, and the fight scene at the end is fun.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #3147
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Death Proof (2007) - 3/10

"Death Proof" is the second half (the Tarantino half) of the "Grindhouse" film. I still haven't caught the first half, "Planet Terror." This movie just isn't very good. At all. Everything goes on far too long. There are number of classic Tarantino type scenes of people talking around a table with camera moving around them, but, unlike, say, "Reservoir Dogs" or "Pulp Fiction" the dialogue sucks. The stories aren't at all interesting, they don't reveal much in the way of character and just go on and on and on. Too many of the actors also seem to take some sort of Tarantino-esque affectation to their delivery. It's like they watched all the Tarantino movies and decided they had to mimic the physical movements and cadence of speech of past characters. It all seemed incredibly forced and unnatural. Kurt Russel is good as "Stuntman Mike", but the character starts out kind of interesting and just doesn't go anywhere. Even the scenes that are exciting, like when the girl is riding on the top of the car, go on for far too long to the point of tedium.

I like most of Tarantino's stuff. I love "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction". I liked "Jackie Brown" and thoroughly enjoyed the "Kill Bill" flicks. I hope "Inglorious Basterds" is solid. This one, however, just wasn't any good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #3148
Butter
Coordinator

H_B, thanks for validating my opinion. I have a number of friends who have gone on about how good this movie was. I thought it was somewhere around 30 minutes (or more) too long. And the dialogue was just awful. Most of the same complaints that you have here. It's like Tarantino gets a pass and gets to do all these horrifically boring things and it magically becomes interesting just because HE did them. No sir. The movie sucked.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #3149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Add me to the choir. "Death Proof" was horrible beyond words.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #3150
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
H_B, thanks for validating my opinion. I have a number of friends who have gone on about how good this movie was. I thought it was somewhere around 30 minutes (or more) too long. And the dialogue was just awful. Most of the same complaints that you have here. It's like Tarantino gets a pass and gets to do all these horrifically boring things and it magically becomes interesting just because HE did them. No sir. The movie sucked.

Yeah, I think that's exactly why people think this movie is anything but overlong and boring: because Tarantino did it.

I'm a big fan of the guy, but this movie just doesn't work. Where the inane conversations about "Big Macs" in Amsterdam or about foot massages in "Pulp Fiction" were funny and interesting, and all the dialogue in the diner scene at the begining of "Reservoir Dogs" was fantastic, whatever the hell the people were talking about in "Death Proof" was just dull, boring, over acted and went on far too long.

The only reason I kept watching it was becuase I was mildly interested to see how it ended (very poorly) and I really don't get tired of watching Rosario Dawson.

I also don't see the need to make an homage film of what were, originally, quite shitty films.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote