Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

ActionPC Hockey - Nice text-based PC Hockey Game

Not sure how many of you have played the ActionPC series of sports game by DKSports, but last week they released a hockey version of their games. It is a text replay type of game. With the game purchase, you receive the 2009/2010 season. Additional seasons can be purchased, there are roughly 10-12 available, ranging from NHL, WHA, Olympics, and college.

I have been playing it for the last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it, but you do have to like these type of text games. There were a few issues upon release and the developer has already released a patch fixing a lot of the issues. Since it is a first version, it may not have all the bells and whistles as the other games in the series available, but I'm sure it will catchup.

Again, if you enjoy hockey and text based games, check it out. The forums have been pretty active so you can see what other people think.

Main Game Site
Action! PC Hockey

Discussion Forum
Hockey Discussions - All - Action! PC Sports Games - Message Board

Free Strategy Guide - You can see how the game plays.
http://www.dksports.com/download%20f...gy%20Guide.pdf

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 06-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Not sure how many of you have played the ActionPC series of sports game by DKSports, but last week they released a hockey version of their games. It is a text replay type of game. With the game purchase, you receive the 2009/2010 season. Additional seasons can be purchased, there are roughly 10-12 available, ranging from NHL, WHA, Olympics, and college.

I have been playing it for the last week and have been thoroughly enjoying it, but you do have to like these type of text games. There were a few issues upon release and the developer has already released a patch fixing a lot of the issues. Since it is a first version, it may not have all the bells and whistles as the other games in the series available, but I'm sure it will catchup.

Again, if you enjoy hockey and text based games, check it out. The forums have been pretty active so you can see what other people think.

Main Game Site
Action! PC Hockey

Discussion Forum
Hockey Discussions - All - Action! PC Sports Games - Message Board

Free Strategy Guide - You can see how the game plays.
http://www.dksports.com/download%20f...gy%20Guide.pdf

Sorry to say I have tried a bunch of Dave's games and they are buggy as hell with a bunch of crashes on vista.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I can't speak for the other games, but I can say the hockey game seems headed in the right direction. Sure, there were issues identified upon launch (name a game that doesn't anymore), but he has already released a patch that corrected the majority of the issues and is planning another in the next day or so to correct more.

Again, this might not be a game for everyone, but if you like hockey, I think worth taking a look, especially since there aren't many hockey games like this.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

How easy is it to rate your own teams/seasons?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
BradS
n00b

I've played the football and baseball on vista with no issues. If you like the game within the game nothing matches the sophistication and strategy of the Action games.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
How easy is it to rate your own teams/seasons?

I'm not an expert in creating seasons, but the functionality does exist. If you go over to the forums, you'll see some people working on projects right now.

If your a hockey fan, you'll want to check this game out!

Also, another patch just released fixing more items. Looks like most of the initial reported items have been taken care of. This has been great service in the first week.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 06-07-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
I've played the football and baseball on vista with no issues. If you like the game within the game nothing matches the sophistication and strategy of the Action games.

Yeah well I spent easily over 40 hours trying to use the various debugging fixes from Dave who for his part did try to help but ultimately the game was not working with Vista 64 bit. It may have been one of my security software programs after a while I said screw it and got a full refund.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Nugget699
H.S. Freshman Team

Just simmed through the 09/10 season and I had Edmonton make the play-offs
Nugget699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah well I spent easily over 40 hours trying to use the various debugging fixes from Dave who for his part did try to help but ultimately the game was not working with Vista 64 bit. It may have been one of my security software programs after a while I said screw it and got a full refund.

You do mention a good point. This company is the only game company I have come across that offers a full refund with no questions asked for the first 30-days. Therefore, very little risk in trying the game since you can return the game. I wish all game companies did something like this, especially if they don't offer a demo.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget699 View Post
Just simmed through the 09/10 season and I had Edmonton make the play-offs

If it makes you feel any better, just simmed a season and Edmonton was the second to worst team in the conference
Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
GMO78
n00b

Unfortunately it doesn't have a career-mode for this good game.
GMO78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO78 View Post

Yeah, that probably makes it a killer for me.. but I'm definitely curious.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMO78 View Post

Yeah, but the bigger absence in the hockey sim world is a decent multiplayer game. EHM 2005 was the closest, but it requires you to host it on a server. I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a piece of software that can make the freeware EHM multiplayer (e.g. the old High Heat Baseball series that did something similar).
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Yeah, but the bigger absence in the hockey sim world is a decent multiplayer game. EHM 2005 was the closest, but it requires you to host it on a server. I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a piece of software that can make the freeware EHM multiplayer (e.g. the old High Heat Baseball series that did something similar).

I miss the original EHM... that was a really good game for freeware.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

Yes it was.

This game looks fun, but after a season I think I'd be done with it.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yes it was.

This game looks fun, but after a season I think I'd be done with it.

There is no doubt I would love to have another career sim hockey game, but this game is fairly good and geeting good feedback. You may want to try it since they do give refunds, then you have little risk in determining if the game is for you. I really like it so far.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

Ditto
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is no doubt I would love to have another career sim hockey game, but this game is fairly good and geeting good feedback. You may want to try it since they do give refunds, then you have little risk in determining if the game is for you. I really like it so far.

I like what I've been reading.. I'm just not shelling out $44 for a replay game.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Yep, if your not into replays, then this is not probably the game for you. It is still receiving favorable feedback, just a few minor issues that probably need a tweak or two.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Just a friendly bump since the game just released a pretty big patch, that now also includes game sounds (i.e. goal horns) to provide even a better atmosphere. In addition, 6 new seasons were also released.

If your into hockey with the season right around the corner, you'll want to check this out if you like text based games.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #21
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

New 2011 version just came out tonight.....a lot of nice enhancements. Here is a link to the changes.

Action! PC Hockey

If your into hockey replays, this game is great. However, if your into career mode type games, this may not interest you. To me, it has been a great game and continues to make good strides for only being around for a year or so.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I know another thread mentioned this, but thought would be good to include here. The 2012 version of this hockey game is coming out on August 9th. The game just gets better and better each time, assuming you are good with a replay game versus career.

Action! PC Hockey
Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Purchased!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #24
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

It will be interesting to see how many others take a chance. The game comes with a 30 day money back guarantee which is unheard of in games which means no risk for anyone trying. Although not a career sim, I have certainly got my money out of the series replaying many different seasons. It is great to see all the past players I grew up with.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #25
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah, that probably makes it a killer for me.. but I'm definitely curious.

I agree with this...Game looks really nice but the lack of career mode and me only having 64bit Vista makes it a non purchase right now.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #26
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Having 64 bit vista should not be an issue for this game. I run it on 64 windows 7 with no issue.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #27
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Having 64 bit vista should not be an issue for this game. I run it on 64 windows 7 with no issue.

Good to know.Thats one possible hurdle out of the way. Still, the lack of even a rudimentary career mode is a bit of an issue with me.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, lack of career mode was holding me back, but I'll give it a go and like SB said, there is a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee.

I'll start off with a replay of last season to see what I can do with the Blues. Looks to me like playing out the actual games is the biggest part of this game.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Give me a career mode, give me an open draft ability. Then its a sale.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Give me a career mode, give me an open draft ability. Then its a sale.

Although I too would enjoy a good career hockey game, the fact is that no current versions exist. A couple coming in the future, nothing now. If you enjoy coaching the games and playing seasons, this game is very good. I understand it won't replace a career sim, but it sure is good for what it is.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #31
RendeR
Coordinator

Thats just it. I'd play through a season once and never touch it again. If the careers don't develop as the game is played it just kills my interest. Color me spoiled by FOF.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
rowech
Pro Starter

Action PC games appear great on the surface but for me, the more I played them, the more the results seemed suspicious. That happens to a lot of people.

Most of the threads as such have long been deleted at their forum but you might still find some searching for them -- especially the football game.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Action PC games appear great on the surface but for me, the more I played them, the more the results seemed suspicious. That happens to a lot of people.

Most of the threads as such have long been deleted at their forum but you might still find some searching for them -- especially the football game.

Explain.. I have 30 days to ask for a refund.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #34
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

It's been several years and I don't remember specific details but in an individual game, a WR might have four catches for 20 yard average. You could then later in the game, get set things up perfectly to burn the defense and there would be no way you would get more than 2-3 yards on the catch no matter how open the defense was. Lot of people argued regression but many of us suspected there was tailoring to get the WRs average down by forcing the program to award low yardages since the WR already had higher yardages.

Another example, and this is the one that I wish I could find the thread for you, somebody fiddled with offensive linemen's ratings to see the effect it would have on a RB's carries. He changed every offensive lineman on the team by one rating which should have bumped the RBs average up by a certain amount. (I can't remember how much)

After doing that, the RBs average stayed right where it was. Again, as if it was going to be that no matter what. It was explained that OL ratings were relative within a team. So if a guy was an 8 and a 7 and you raised them by one rating each instead of making them a 9 and an 8, they (in the computer's mind) stayed an 8 and a 7. This became most noticeable in draft leagues but I can't remember why. Someone then pressed the issue because of the ramifications of that, especially as it pertained to draft leagues because that would mean an offensive line of all 10s, while better than an offensive 9s, would not appear to be any different at all.

I don't feel like I'm explaining that quite right so I apologize but maybe there's enough there to get you to see what I'm saying.

Basketball game, a person played around with defensive matchups when a guy had a good or bad start. For instance, if a guy made say 7 of his first 8 shots, he would put a 1 defender on him (or as low as possible) as that hot streak should continue. It wouldn't. The player would start missing shots and it would come back down. Likewise, if a player started cold, he would put a 10 defender on him to keep it down and the player would start to make more shots.

In almost every case, the thing comes down to regression versus pre-arranged. Many of us started to feel that the results were set so that if a player's numbers started to get too high or too low, it was programmed in a way to get the numbers back to average.

This was at least 4-5 years ago so it's very possible a lot of stuff has been worked on, etc. Hockey is his newest venture so I don't have a clue about it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks.. this is why I decided to purchase the hockey game - this paragraph alone made me decide to give it a go..

Quote:
New Alternate Reality Mode! Alternate reality mode brings a new level of strategic depth and variety to Action PC Hockey. In alternate reality mode, results are driven by ratings, which are hidden from the user, rather than by raw statistics. These ratings are based on real statistics, but with some random variation. Ratings are generated each time a new season is started. This leads to more realistic coaching and general manager decisions. Coaches might consider giving backups more playing time based on their season performance during the season replay. In other modes of play, coaches only need to play backups in the event of injury, fatigue, or over-usage because they know the starter is always the better player.

I'll give it a good workout prior to my 30 days.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-08-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Thanks.. this is why I decided to purchase the hockey game - this paragraph alone made me decide to give it a go..

I'll give it a good workout prior to my 30 days.

Action PC Football, Baseball, and the upcoming Hockey all have the new AR mode. In recent years, not sure I have seen (not saying that I could have missed them) any of those kinds of posts mentioned, but those could have been before I learned of the game myself and started visiting the forums. However, I could see how the game might have to some degree keep things within a reasonable range since it is mostly a season replay game (if not playing the AR mode).

Hockey is the game I play the most and have been very satisfied, but certainly everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

As you stated, you have 30 days to give it a test drive so little risk and a lot of potential reward to gain I do hope you end up enjoying it. It will be released within the next day so not long now to see.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Game is now released.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Game is now released.

Runs off to email..
Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I gave a replay game a shot.. just isn't doing much for me. I guess knowing once the season is over, that's it.

Anyway thank you very much Slybelle.. you assistance was much appreciated!

I'm not going to hound Dave for a refund, but if I can get one, great. If not, it won't be the first time I've purchased something and never played it again.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #40
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I gave a replay game a shot.. just isn't doing much for me. I guess knowing once the season is over, that's it.

Anyway thank you very much Slybelle.. you assistance was much appreciated!

I'm not going to hound Dave for a refund, but if I can get one, great. If not, it won't be the first time I've purchased something and never played it again.

No problem and like you mentioned the game might not be for everyone but I really enjoy it. I am sure there will be no issue getting a refund and you shouldn't feel bad in doing it since that is part of the deal when you buy Dave's games.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #41
APC
Mascot

The newest version of Action PC Hockey is set to be released on Friday. I dived in and pre-ordered. This will be the first time I try Dave's hockey game and it will mean I now own at least one game of each of the sports Action PC covers.

Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Football
2. Golf
3. Basketball
4. Baseball

Hockey? We're about to find out.
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #42
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by APC View Post
The newest version of Action PC Hockey is set to be released on Friday. I dived in and pre-ordered. This will be the first time I try Dave's hockey game and it will mean I now own at least one game of each of the sports Action PC covers.

Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Football
2. Golf
3. Basketball
4. Baseball

Hockey? We're about to find out.

There all good, but my ranking would be:

1) Golf
2) Hockey
3) Football
4) Basketball
5) Baseball
Old 09-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #43
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I agree with Slybelle exactly, except for the Baseball game which I've never played, I've stuck with Strat-o-Matic.

The Golf game really is a lot of fun, it is much more like a game rather than a replay.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote