Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #51
KWhit
Coordinator

Bull Durham is the best baseball movie ever.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually, I really enjoy For the Love of the Game as well, but I know that's not really consensus opinion, so I leave it out when discussing great baseball movies.

I enjoy it too. It was on the other night ya know.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #53
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I enjoy it too. It was on the other night ya know.

Was it? What channel's playing it now (usually just one channel will hold cable rights to something that new)? I'll keep an eye out.

Speaking of which, out here at least, the signature movie of this thread is currently on Bravo.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Was it? What channel's playing it now (usually just one channel will hold cable rights to something that new)? I'll keep an eye out.

Speaking of which, out here at least, the signature movie of this thread is currently on Bravo.

yep. It's on Bravo here too.

damm...ya know...i don't remember which channel it was.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #55
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Bull Durham is the best baseball movie ever.

QFT
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #56
Barkeep49
Coordinator

As I am going to bed and don't have my role, I will just let you know now, much to what I am sure is your relief, that I am a villager. No need to vote here.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #57
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, I really enjoy For the Love of the Game as well, but I know that's not really consensus opinion, so I leave it out when discussing great baseball movies.

I've always enjoyed this one too.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm apparently the A-Gon of Major League. My name's Ivan Molina.

Simple villager too.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #59
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

villegar checking in
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #60
path12
Coordinator

Jack Parkman checking in. You kids just stay out of the way and let me win these games for us.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wild Thing checking in. I wish I remembered this movie more, but if I recall, he was pretty funny.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All PMs have been sent. Game startup post coming shortly.

Here is the text of the generic PM that everyone has received:

This is the generic PM referred to in your first PM (everyone has received another PM).

Your first PM takes precedence anywhere there is a contradiction.

You are all members of the Cleveland Indians organization. You all have names, roles and actions you may take. All actions for the day are due to me by that day's deadline.

Every member of the Indians can choose to affect the baseball game that night. Each member has three such actions. If you choose to use it, you lose it, regardless of whether or not your action figured in the winning of the game. Some players' actions will carry more weight than others, based on where they are in the talent rankings on the team. The most talented player's action offered to be used will be considered first. Only one player's action will actually be used in the game that night.

This PM is being sent to five people at a time, alphasbetically, regardless of allegiance.

As to that last sentence, Passacaglia and DaddyTorgo accidentally received theirs out of order. This is due to the rather significantly poor alphabetizing skills of the GM and nothing more.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 PM   #63
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Lou Brown checking in. Every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish dead last. But I'm for wasting sportswriters time so let's go out there and give them a nice big ****burger to eat.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #64
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Harry Doyle: "Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant."

You're in the last days of the season and you're in a tight race for the pennant. And that witch of an owner you have is doing everything in her power to stop you. Can you avoid her treacherous traps and win it all? Or will Cleveland go through another awful, pennant-less winter?

The game has now officially begun.

GAME ON AND GOOD LUCK!!!

Day One is an extended day.

Day One Deadline is Tuesday, 7 P.M. EST/4 P.M. PDT

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-05-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #65
hoopsguy
General Manager

Is there any reason to divulge which player on the roster we are? I don't really want to give an advantage to the rats that are working to keep our team from catching the stinking Yankees.

There were certain players on the roster that would seem more likely to be turncoats. Similarly, there are players on the roster who would seem more likely to benefit the team. I would like to hear some discussion on tipping our hands with player info before coming out and saying that I'm "Player X".

Because, obviously, I have a super-important villager role. Mondo important. Or else I just like playing contrarian. One or the other.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #66
path12
Coordinator

I don't think it matters since the wolves already know which characters are or aren't in the game.

Of course, you're not as studly as Jack Parkman, so I can imagine why you would want to remain anonymous.

I wonder if it might not be helpful if we end up trying to strategize the times we use our game powers to try and win. After all, since nobody on this team is as good as I am, we'd want to make sure when I use my game power that one of you lesser lights isn't shut out......

(OOC, I can't believe I've never seen this movie. I'm not sure how accurate I'm being with this role.....)
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #67
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Is there any reason to divulge which player on the roster we are? I don't really want to give an advantage to the rats that are working to keep our team from catching the stinking Yankees.

There were certain players on the roster that would seem more likely to be turncoats. Similarly, there are players on the roster who would seem more likely to benefit the team. I would like to hear some discussion on tipping our hands with player info before coming out and saying that I'm "Player X".

Because, obviously, I have a super-important villager role. Mondo important. Or else I just like playing contrarian. One or the other.
The rules explicitly say there is no linkage between names and roles except for two of the bad guys. We know all of the names which are in the game. I think we ought to all be revealing our names. Mine is Ken Parkhurst.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #68
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Path: Just confirming: You're claiming to be Jack Parkman?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #69
Celeval
Pro Starter

*bleary-eyed* Damnit, this is starting already? Christ, I'm hung over, my knees are killin' me and if you're going to pull this shit at least you could've said you were from the Yankees.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #70
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

one of the problems with revealing names though is it gives the wolves a target of who the more powerful players "Major League" wise are though, and thus a blueprint to pick them off that way...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

of course that may not be all bad if it keeps them away from traditionally stronger-WW players to go after people with important names/game affecting ability
Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #72
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
one of the problems with revealing names though is it gives the wolves a target of who the more powerful players "Major League" wise are though, and thus a blueprint to pick them off that way...
True and I thought of that. To me winning needs to be our first priority. Winning really well would just be a bonus.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #73
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
The rules explicitly say there is no linkage between names and roles except for two of the bad guys. We know all of the names which are in the game. I think we ought to all be revealing our names. Mine is Ken Parkhurst.

Quote:

Don't you think the wolves would prefer to go after Jake Taylor than after "Random Dude #1"? Who is more likely to influence the wins? If there is something in the rules that suggests that there is no relation between role name and their ability to impact the win, then I'm a little more inclined to release information.

No, I'm not Jake Taylor. I might not even be someone cool. But based on my understanding of the rules I think our strategy of revealing names is flawed at the moment.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #74
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Don't you think the wolves would prefer to go after Jake Taylor than after "Random Dude #1"? Who is more likely to influence the wins? If there is something in the rules that suggests that there is no relation between role name and their ability to impact the win, then I'm a little more inclined to release information.

No, I'm not Jake Taylor. I might not even be someone cool. But based on my understanding of the rules I think our strategy of revealing names is flawed at the moment.
Based on this post I'm going to go ahead and vote for Hoops. I've never known him to be so oblivious to the rules. "If there is something in the rules"? C'mon, hoops would have gone back and found the important part, without much effort. So this is my vote for him. Next post will be a real response where I quote the rules explaining why we need to role reveal.

Vote Hoopsguy
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

VOTE HOOPSGUY

I still owe you this one.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #76
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'm not sure what I think about names. I was all for it in Alan's game, but then we got distracted by all the shiny potions and such. After getting myself into trouble about it in the first day, it turned out they were pretty meaningless.

I gotta admit, my inclination is to be suspicious of folks that don't want to reveal names, but I like DT's point. Like I said, it's been a while since I've seen the movie -- is it pretty obvious who is more talented on the team?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #77
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
No editing of posts is allowed in this thread except by me, or by Barkeep, and only in his role as the forum moderator.
First let me thank CR for the love.

Quote:
The only characters that are absolutely allied one way are Rachel Phelps and Charlie Donovan, the owner and GM, and they will be wolves.

Whoever has these roles are allied and are bad. There are two extra roles, presumably for these two characters, but I would love to start to force the wolves to lie from the get go.

Quote:
These roles will be handed out at random, and can end on any player in the game.

Here's where we learn there's no correlation between baseball ability and WW finding ability.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #78
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Not everyone will be a character from the movies, although everyone will have a name. Roles and allegiance are not related to the character names. The only characters that are absolutely allied one way are Rachel Phelps and Charlie Donovan, the owner and GM, and they will be wolves.

That is in the rules. I see nothing that talks about order of action, which is a key component of the effectiveness of a player.

I'm not suggesting that Jake Taylor is the bodyguard or something like that. I'm suggesting, without knowing one way or the other, that he is more likely to have the ability to impact the outcome of the game.

I'm more than willing to pose this question to the GM to answer. If he says that was determined through random.org, then I'm fine with coming forward with information on role.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #79
hoopsguy
General Manager

Now if you want to try and put the squeeze on Phelps and Donovan by making them declare a role - there are 14 players and 16 listed names - then I completely get that strategy. I would expect them to flock to one of the four random-ish names rather than one of the name players in an attempt to avoid conflict.

I'm not either Phelps or Donovan and I won't be making a play at one of the random names at the bottom, some of which have already been claimed.

I wasn't intending to dig into this position as vehemently as I'm having to, but I don't think you are seeing the whole picture here Barkeep. And firing away with a 9:00 AM vote, before trying to have a discussion on this (which was my goal here) seems aggressive and outright dumb from where I'm sitting.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:18 AM   #80
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Whoa, I almost missed lathum's vote in that slew. Is that another lathum joke-vote?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #81
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Some or all of the players listed in the roster in Post #1 could be in the game. The wolves will know which ones are in the game, and so will be able to assume absent character identities, so as to not limit the potential pool of wolves based on name.

If anything, I'm inclined to be more suspicious of the people leaping to claim names because the wolves know they are going to be able to avoid conflicts. So, contrary to the possible reason to reveal names listed in my last post, there is no reason that I can see to give the wolves a list of targets who are more likely to influence the outcome of a game with their "step it up" performance, by virtue of being a better baseball player.

And, I would suggest that some of the other "name" players agree with me as I've seen very few of the Indians marquee players come forward up to this point.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #82
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Whoa, I almost missed lathum's vote in that slew. Is that another lathum joke-vote?

Barkeep is the one who has put me in position to be lynched in event of a tie, based on the tie-breaker rules in this game. So while I'm not thrilled with either vote, the first one is the one that annoys me more.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #83
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm announcing right now that I'm going to do my best to shut up early on in the next game. Hoops is already angling towards going after me and so I think I'll just quietly face my fate next game rather than inviting it in.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #84
hoopsguy
General Manager

Barkeep, can you continue demonstrating for me just how oblivious I am about the rules?

Since the reveals are already out there for the wolves to see, here are the notes that I'm using to track what people want to divulge. I'll continue tracking these, but I'm hoping not to have a ton more names to work with until we get some kind of consensus on whether reveals help/hurt our cause.

DaddyT - Ivan Molina (random dude)
Lathum - undeclared villager
Path - Jack Parkman (C/DH)
Pass - Wild Thing (P)
Purdue - Lou Brown (Mgr)
Ceveval - hints at Jake Taylor (C)
Hoops - undeclared position player
Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM   #85
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I'm announcing right now that I'm going to do my best to shut up early on in the next game. Hoops is already angling towards going after me and so I think I'll just quietly face my fate next game rather than inviting it in.

Angling to go after you? Dude, you came out blazing after me with your vote! You accuse me of not reading the rules, which MUST make me a wolf, and were wrong on both counts. I don't retaliate with a vote immediately, as we have 1.5 days before deadline, but I'M THE ONE GOING AFTER YOU?

What kind of Bizarro world are you living in?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #86
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Barkeep, can you continue demonstrating for me just how oblivious I am about the rules?

Since the reveals are already out there for the wolves to see, here are the notes that I'm using to track what people want to divulge. I'll continue tracking these, but I'm hoping not to have a ton more names to work with until we get some kind of consensus on whether reveals help/hurt our cause.

DaddyT - Ivan Molina (random dude)
Lathum - undeclared villager
Path - Jack Parkman (C/DH)
Pass - Wild Thing (P)
Purdue - Lou Brown (Mgr)
Ceveval - hints at Jake Taylor (C)
Hoops - undeclared position player

Thanks for this, hoops. But do we need to worry about the names giving an indication of talent? I mean, aren't we all supposed to be pretty talentless?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #87
hoopsguy
General Manager

Can someone refresh my memory on who Jack Parkman is in the game? I did a search for the name against the movie script and didn't see it. Nor do I see an actor "David Keith" listed in the imdb.com cast page.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #88
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think I've lost track of the argument here.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #89
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks for this, hoops. But do we need to worry about the names giving an indication of talent? I mean, aren't we all supposed to be pretty talentless?

Given that the team is competing for a division title, we obviously are not talentless. Given that the rules state that some players have more ability to impact a win with their night actions, we obviously are not equally talented.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #90
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
My reveal is here. I'm a pinch hitting specialist.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 AM   #91
KWhit
Coordinator

Kind of surprised that votes are already flying around.

Anyway.... Not sure about the name thing. I don't know if it makes sense to reveal them yet or not.

So for now, I'll just state that I'm a normal villager/ballplayer checking in.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #92
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
I think I've lost track of the argument here.

Summary below:

Hoops - why are we all revealing our names? We might be giving away free info to the wolves.

Barkeep - read the rules, Hoops. Vote Hoops

Barkeep - post rules

Hoops - hmm, those rules don't make your point about night actions.

Barkeep - Hoops is gunning for me

Hoops - scratches head, continues trying to get meaning out of Day 1
Old 08-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #93
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Summary below:

Hoops - why are we all revealing our names? We might be giving away free info to the wolves.

Barkeep - read the rules, Hoops. Vote Hoops

Barkeep - post rules

Hoops - hmm, those rules don't make your point about night actions.

Barkeep - Hoops is gunning for me

Hoops - scratches head, continues trying to get meaning out of Day 1

Thanks. Can I get Barkeeps's side now?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #94
hoopsguy
General Manager

Looks like Parkman makes his appearance in Major League 2, which I have not seen. So Path, no idea if you are "playing" him correctly.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #95
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Thanks. Can I get Barkeeps's side now?

I'm not paranoid/delusional enough to adequately capture his state of mind at the moment, I'm afraid.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #96
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I am confused. There are 16 names and 14 players. Why shouldn't we reveal our names. The wolves would have to try and fake reveal. The odds are they will pick a name already taken and we can go from there?

I am Isuro Tanaka
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #97
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
So I am confused. There are 16 names and 14 players. Why shouldn't we reveal our names. The wolves would have to try and fake reveal. The odds are they will pick a name already taken and we can go from there?

I am Isuro Tanaka

No, they won't.

From Post #2, by Chief Rum
Some or all of the players listed in the roster in Post #1 could be in the game. The wolves will know which ones are in the game, and so will be able to assume absent character identities, so as to not limit the potential pool of wolves based on name.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #98
KWhit
Coordinator

I don't want to be left as one of the last to reveal my name if that's going to draw suspicion later.

I am Tom Kettner.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #99
Gonzo
Mascot

I'm Willie Mays Hays. I can hit faster than "Mays" and run faster than..."Hays". Or it might be the other way round. And I'm a villager too.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #100
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
No, they won't.

From Post #2, by Chief Rum

If that's the case, why wouldn't we want to reveal?

Do you think that the ability to influence the game is tied to the player name? I would imagine that CR would randomize that for the game (at least I'd hope so). Otherwise it would be too easy for the wolves to pick off the best players, don't you think?