Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
hoopsguy
General Manager

voting pet peeves

It sounds like there was a little consternation at times during the last game about some votes, so I figured this might be a fun little venting thread for people.

My personal favorite - "Player X must be a wolf if he is still around on Day 4!"

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My biggest pet peeve...

I'm frustrated that everyone is voting for me so I'll just vote myself! Vote Selfvote!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
It sounds like there was a little consternation at times during the last game about some votes....

Was there? What are you referring to?
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm not a fan of villagers holding their vote close to the deadline. To me, that's a wolf play.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I'm not a fan of villagers holding their vote close to the deadline. To me, that's a wolf play.

Agreed. And villagers who make last minute vote switches just make things overly confusing for villagers to analyze later.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I did that twice in the last game.. both times were basically because I didn't have a great direction of where to go with my vote. Both times I felt I made a pretty good read with it based off of the other voting..

day1: voting chief rum
day 2: voting to protect barkeep.

Granted there was luck and some wrong deductions that led me to the reasons I did those votes, but I don't understand why that was necessarily a wolf move.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Except that we've now had two consecutive games where last minute switches have resulted in us getting a wolf, and in this last game preventing the killing of one of two villagers.

Why is a last minute switch inherently wolfish? I agree we tend to view it that way, but does it have any basis in fact?

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 08-03-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Was there? What are you referring to?

I'll go fish out some posts to back it up if there is interest, but I'm referencing some of the "Vote Player X - gut" style votes that were taking place in Days 4-6. I think that is pretty normal behavior on Day 1 with no information, but usually there is a little more than gut that comes into play with each following day.

I understood that behavior in the BladeRunner game - there was very limited information available on deaths. But stuff was out in the open last game. And my perception as I read along was that multiple people were frustrated receiving votes without reasons being provided (beyond gut).

KWhit, given that you didn't receive any votes the whole game - how do you do it???? - I'm guessing that wasn't as big a deal for you personally.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Except that we've now had two consecutive games where last minute switches have resulted in us getting a wolf, and in this last game preventing the killing of one of two villagers.

Why is a last minute switch inherently wolfish? I agree we tend to view it that way, but does it have any basis in fact?

I don't necessarily think it's wolfish - but I think usually, it hurts the villagers. And I mean last minute switches without reveals of course.

Really, without some sort of significant new information being added to the game, a last minute vote or vote switch just causes confusion. There's already enough of that from a villager POV. There were a number of nights in the last game where nobody seemed to know an accurate vote count because the posts and votes were flying back and forth so fast.

That makes it often impossible to gauge true intent behind a vote. Did so-and-so mean to tie the vote, or did they really think it was already tied up. There will always be these kind of questions, but villagers holding their votes to the last second makes this kind of thing more common than it ought to be, which in the long run makes analysis harder for the villagers.

BTW, I wish we had some kind of automatic vote calculator or something.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I am someone who always leaves my vote as close to the deadline as possible, whether I am a vilager or a wolf. Infact, I am usually more inclined to vote early if I am Wolf, easier to hide your vote then.

Generally I want my vote to based on the most possible information, which means leave it as late as possible for all defences, arguments and possible reveals etc. given time to be made. Also voting later gives you more power in the situation. Not technically true as all votes are (usually) equal, but often players are entrenched or not online near the deadline so late voters have a bigger than proportional say. In games where I am a villager I want to maximise my own power as I am the only player I can be 100% sure is good.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I am someone who always leaves my vote as close to the deadline as possible, whether I am a vilager or a wolf. Infact, I am usually more inclined to vote early if I am Wolf, easier to hide your vote then.

Generally I want my vote to based on the most possible information, which means leave it as late as possible for all defences, arguments and possible reveals etc. given time to be made. Also voting later gives you more power in the situation. Not technically true as all votes are (usually) equal, but often players are entrenched or not online near the deadline so late voters have a bigger than proportional say. In games where I am a villager I want to maximise my own power as I am the only player I can be 100% sure is good.

I understand this point of view. On the other hand, holding your vote to the deadline is a way of HIDING information from the village.

knives out
Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

No, because I always declare openly who I am thinking of voting for if it is between choices. In situations where I am virtually certain to vote for one player I state that also.

Of course you could say that if I was playing as a wolf I could say one thing and then vote another way right at the deadline, but I would only do that in extremely exceptional circumstances.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
st.cronin
General Manager

Then I don't understand why you wouldn't vote for one player early, reserving the right to change your vote should more information come out later.

knives out
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'll go fish out some posts to back it up if there is interest, but I'm referencing some of the "Vote Player X - gut" style votes that were taking place in Days 4-6. I think that is pretty normal behavior on Day 1 with no information, but usually there is a little more than gut that comes into play with each following day.

I understood that behavior in the BladeRunner game - there was very limited information available on deaths. But stuff was out in the open last game. And my perception as I read along was that multiple people were frustrated receiving votes without reasons being provided (beyond gut).

KWhit, given that you didn't receive any votes the whole game - how do you do it???? - I'm guessing that wasn't as big a deal for you personally.

I guess you might want to look at whether or not those votes are wolf or villager votes. It might be interesting to see if this is a pet peeve wolf ploy, or a pete peeve lazy villager vote.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
No, because I always declare openly who I am thinking of voting for if it is between choices. In situations where I am virtually certain to vote for one player I state that also.

Of course you could say that if I was playing as a wolf I could say one thing and then vote another way right at the deadline, but I would only do that in extremely exceptional circumstances.

Yes, but this kind of thing gets easily forgotten in the heat of the last 30 minutes before a lynch. It's often impossible to even get an accurate vote count, much less remember somebody saying who they will probably vote for.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
path12
Coordinator

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but it doesn't really bother me at all when people vote -- you just need to realize that a late vote or switch is going to have more scrutiny on it, so you better be able to articulate your reasoning.

What bothers me much more is when people don't vote at all.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate " player X cast the second vote on player Y so they must be a wolf" Has that EVER been true?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
My biggest pet peeve...

I'm frustrated that everyone is voting for me so I'll just vote myself! Vote Selfvote!

Hey, that's my play.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
My biggest pet peeve...

i hate this as well. The game is frustrating at times but if you are gong to quit why play at all?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #20
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think my biggest pet peeve is the self vote. However, voting with no explanation certainly makes the list.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Another reason I don't like this is because occasionally, maybe once every two or three games, somebody misses a vote because something comes up late in the day. If you put a vote out early, with the idea to change it later, this problem is avoided.

knives out
Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM   #22
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hate " player X cast the second vote on player Y so they must be a wolf" Has that EVER been true?

actually yes...i know i caught someone with it at least once, maybe twice

my most hated situation involving voting is when someone with a role is on the block and instead of revealing to try and save them self or help the village with any information they have, they get pissy that people are voting for them and die without saying anything, and then pout that "why should i help you when you didnt believe me that i was a villager!"

its a game where we kill someone every day...eventually you are gonna get voted out...deal with it!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #23
path12
Coordinator

Not really a voting pet peeve, but it's weird that I never seem to get scanned. Seems like I'm always one of the three or four towards the end that nobody has any read on. I must not be threatening enough.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Not really a voting pet peeve, but it's weird that I never seem to get scanned. Seems like I'm always one of the three or four towards the end that nobody has any read on. I must not be threatening enough.

FWIW I allways find you a threat.

you scare the hell out of me
Old 08-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #25
path12
Coordinator

Now Lathum, he always gets scanned. Goes to show you, never use World's Greatest Wolf as your signature.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #26
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I hate it when people vote for me.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #27
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I hate it when people vote for me.

It's better than just having me on a ritualistic crusade trying to get you executed because you refuse to die :P
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote