Pro Rookie

So no PM = villager?

Okie doke, villager then.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #104
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Villager checking in.

And sorry, I don't always read all the crap that everyone says before the game begins

If anyone remembers me from when I played back a while ago, my schtick is that villagers screw themselves by not disclosing info for too long into the game. This opinion has gotten me killed by wolves (who don't want to see villagers putting info on the table early) and by other villagers (see that awful warhammer 40K game).

Earlier disclosure avoids a bunch of turns of informationless fratricide by villagers, and it mitigates the risk of villagers accidentally killing an important role early (see the string em up game) where the duke got lynched 1st turn and duked the seer. Also it avoids us losing people before they ever got to use their role (how many games did the seer wait too long and get killed before telling anyone what they saw?)

So anyway, please think about this as you play. To be clear, I'm not saying the seer or anyone should tell the world who he is the first turn, but if you are a role which can defend themselves, or has limited utility but can be verified, try to err on the side of getting us the info earlier rather than later.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #105
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I see both sides of RealDeal's point...we did a mass reveal in the last game (upstairs downstairs) and it worked great, but that was kind of an odd game and I've never been in another game that did a mass reveal like that.

We need to get some conversation/dialogue going today so we have something to base a vote on tonight. I'm pretty slow at work now so I'm going to be going through to see who has not checked in and stuff like that...I'll be in here pretty much all day for anyone who wants to talk and try and formulate a game plan.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #106
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Mass reveals can work in certain games, but I think in a fairly vanilla WW game like this, it would be tough. But even if you get one or two trusted people in the first couple of turns, it makes life a lot easier.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #107
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, going back to an earlier topic - the people likely to be picked as wolves. I'm not sure how much value there is in this without knowing who is the alpha wolf, but here are my expanded thoughts on the player list and viability as a wolf selection:

The overriding factor in picking wolves should be to avoid getting scanned. Without a seer scan to get a wolf, the wolves have to feel good about their ability to manipulate a vote when in a pinch. So picking vets is tricky - if it was me doing the picking I would either avoid this list entirely or pick at max one person from here.

Likely to be early scan: Hoops, Barkeep, Chief Rum, Cronin, Path, Saldana, Pass

Does this make these people less likely to be picked as wolves? Depends on who is doing the picking - getting the Alpha early in this game should provide a lot of insight.

There is also a fairly good chance that the people in the above list will be early night kills if they are not villagers, based upon past games.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM   #108
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Any thoughts on how many wolves? With the ability to choose your team, I can't see more than 3 wolves total.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #109
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
There is also a fairly good chance that the people in the above list will be early night kills if they are not villagers, based upon past games.

I agree with this. If we're not going to worry about vets because we're figuring the alpha wolf wouln't want them, then the wolves might as well just off them based on the fact that they can be good villagers.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #110
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, going back to an earlier topic - the people likely to be picked as wolves. I'm not sure how much value there is in this without knowing who is the alpha wolf, but here are my expanded thoughts on the player list and viability as a wolf selection:

The overriding factor in picking wolves should be to avoid getting scanned. Without a seer scan to get a wolf, the wolves have to feel good about their ability to manipulate a vote when in a pinch. So picking vets is tricky - if it was me doing the picking I would either avoid this list entirely or pick at max one person from here.

Likely to be early scan: Hoops, Barkeep, Chief Rum, Cronin, Path, Saldana, Pass

Does this make these people less likely to be picked as wolves? Depends on who is doing the picking - getting the Alpha early in this game should provide a lot of insight.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone on your list does end up as a wolf. Let's assume someone less noticable is the Alpha wolf, then getting at least one of the better known wolves would be a way to spark good conversation in thier provate discussions.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #111
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if someone on your list does end up as a wolf. Let's assume someone less noticable is the Alpha wolf, then getting at least one of the better known wolves would be a way to spark good conversation in thier provate discussions.

How many people are in the game? I see 16 in the first post -- if I'm in, that makes 17. Hoops had 7 on his list -- I think it's too good to be true to think we can eliminate that many right off the bat, for this reason.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #112
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm offended that I wasn't on hoops' list. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #113
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I accidentally deleted Pass' name on the list when I corrected after Lathum and Schmidty left. Put him back in.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #114
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'm offended that I wasn't on hoops' list. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

Yeah, and I'm actually surprised I was. You're a much better choice for it than I am.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

maybe hoops is the alpha wolf trying to throw us off?

I dunno...i don't think that's likely, but it's an idea to float out there...
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #116
hoopsguy
General Manager

I don't think that the whole list is clear - again, that would require someone not on the list to think in the same way that I would think.

The list just represents my early thoughts on what I perceive to be the "right play" with the wolf selections. When I got to choose conversions in the "Thing" game awhile back I took players I considered to be solid, but UTR players - Swaggs and Path are two I recall picking at that time. Of course, the earlier wolves had selected me as their first conversion, nearly losing the game in the process.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #117
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:

That is always the risk in putting these lists together - that you end up pissing people off based on your selections.

At some point it becomes silly to make a list if it doesn't really filter. So I had to cut it off where it still made sense.

As a wolf of any sort, I wouldn't be keen on making waves early in the game like this. Let alone as Alpha Wolf, posting a blueprint of my actual thoughts on how to play the role.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #118
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post

If someone noticeable is the Alpha, I think the last thing they would want to do is grab another "noticeable" player. If the goal is to win the game, then why put a second wolf role at risk like that?

I'll put it this way - hypothetically, there is no way that I would grab Barkeep as a wolf teammate if I was playing as the Alpha Wolf. And I would expect he would say the same thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #119
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
That is always the risk in putting these lists together - that you end up pissing people off based on your selections.

At some point it becomes silly to make a list if it doesn't really filter. So I had to cut it off where it still made sense.

As a wolf of any sort, I wouldn't be keen on making waves early in the game like this. Let alone as Alpha Wolf, posting a blueprint of my actual thoughts on how to play the role.

Well yeah -- as a wolf, you'd be lying about it!

I think arguments could be made either way. You could choose guys from that list, and figure they won't get much heat, because -- why would the alpha wolf choose quality vets, knowing that that's who we'll take?

In the end, the alpha wolf will probably just choose people he likes chatting with about the game, or people he thinks he meshes well with. On the other hand, maybe he'll choose people he doesn't interact with often...

I got nothing.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #120
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Any thoughts on how many wolves? With the ability to choose your team, I can't see more than 3 wolves total.

Depends on the abilities of the wolves and the villagers, I would guess. 3-4 wolves sounds right to me.

Of course, since no one received a PM from Neon and everyone is a vanilla villager I hope that there are no more than three wolves total.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #121
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
If someone noticeable is the Alpha, I think the last thing they would want to do is grab another "noticeable" player. If the goal is to win the game, then why put a second wolf role at risk like that?

I'll put it this way - hypothetically, there is no way that I would grab Barkeep as a wolf teammate if I was playing as the Alpha Wolf. And I would expect he would say the same thing.

I agree with you on this point. But it all depends on the Alpha. If the Alpha is a newer/less experienced player, I would expect that at least one or two vets would be picked just for advice/strategy discussions.

My feeling on this topic overall is that it is something to keep in mind, but based on the superhero game the idea can be turned into a very effective tangent by those who are chosen by the Alpha.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #122
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It's probably just that Neon forgot to send out the PMs. Doh!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #123
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Well, can't say I have much to add on who-would-pick-who Wolf wise. Is that how we're going here? It just seems too much like a shot in the dark and

A) A smart Alpha Wolf wouldn't make it too easy to decide

B) A smart pack of wolves could manipulate such a discussion easily.

C) What if the Alpha Wolf is a seasoned vet, and decided he'd just pick up the best vets he could, figuring at least he has the "talent" to his advantage?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #124
hoopsguy
General Manager

Path, I'm up for any other lines of discussion that you think are compelling on Day 1

Seriously, at the end of the day we are going to likely end up with a pseudo-random vote. I would rather have it based off of some conversation than just picking a name out of a hat. Is this topic a good one? Don't know ... I'm mildly interested to hear what people think on the matter.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #125
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Seriously, at the end of the day we are going to likely end up with a pseudo-random vote. I would rather have it based off of some conversation than just picking a name out of a hat. Is this topic a good one? Don't know ... I'm mildly interested to hear what people think on the matter.

No, that does make some sense, just exploring options. Maybe that combined with who hasn't checked in? Could give us a decent sub-set of people to pick from.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 AM   #126
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I know I'm a newbie saying this, but I do agree that there is at least one veteran wolf out there. Hoops' list may not be a bad way to pick for the random day one vote although I'm not yet seeing anyone jump out ahead of the others there. Otherwise, I'm pretty much following this conversation to see where it leads.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #127
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I know I'm a newbie saying this, but I do agree that there is at least one veteran wolf out there. Hoops' list may not be a bad way to pick for the random day one vote although I'm not yet seeing anyone jump out ahead of the others there. Otherwise, I'm pretty much following this conversation to see where it leads.

If we want to see where it leads, we might as well make things happen with it.

VOTE PURDUEBRAD
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #128
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Well, 17 total players, and roughly half are "veterans". If we assume three wolves, then probably is at least one "veteran" who is a wolf, but that doesn't really tell us much since it's just a percentage thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

me too
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #130
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
me too

You are on my "Internet poker donkey" list, if that makes you feel any better.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #131
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I'm voting for Lathum because I seem to remember he wolf-killed me in the last WW game I played. Obviously, this is a placeholder vote I will probably change later.

vote Lathum
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #132
hoopsguy
General Manager

RealDeal, unless I'm mistaken Lathum is not in this game.

I think I voted for TazFTW that way once upon a time ...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #133
hoopsguy
General Manager

Dola - that makes for one very interesting placeholder vote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #134
RealDeal
High School Varsity

god, ok maybe I should read the whole thread and the rules and all that good stuff. Now that we are in the workweek, I will be more focused. Weekends, always tougher for me.

unvote Lathum
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus, I am suspiscous in games I'm not even playing in
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #136
st.cronin
General Manager

This is my first non-cronin game, too.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #137
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Path, I'm up for any other lines of discussion that you think are compelling on Day 1

Sorry if I came off like I was blowing the topic off, that wasn't the intent -- and for day 1 it's as good a topic as any to explore.

My thought was as above, I think your list is a decent starting point (though those aren't players I'd be likely to vote off day 1 anyway without some sort of an extra reason). At the same time, I also agree that those would be the sort of folks I'd think were going to be getting scanned early in the game which again makes them a less desirable day 1 target (for both votes and night kills.....since staying alive tends to put more suspicion on the vets naturally).

My day 1 rationale remains focused on those who don't check in. I haven't looked at that list yet.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #138
Barkeep49
Coordinator

If I was the alpha wolf, I would, as hoops suggests, not pick one of the "BIG" names out there, though I might be tempted to pick CR just because he's such a good villager. However, if I wasn't one of the people on the list, and I was the alpha wolf, I'd pick someone from that list just because of this line of thinking. My rough guess is that 1 person from hoops list is a wolf, and 2 are not, assuming 3 wolves. If there are 4 wolves, which I consider less likely, but possible, then that last wolf could go either way, mostly depending on whether the alpha is a list player.

So, by my math, there is a 1/6 chance of someone on the list being a wolf (I being a villager can rule myself out as a wolf) and a 1/5 of someone not on the list being a wolf. I will thus be voting for someone not on the list for now.

Oh, and for the night kill I think there's a higher chance of someone on the list being the kill, though with this being such a huge topic of discussion the wolves could leave the list alone just to raise suspicion at this point.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #139
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Oh and I'm not sure any of the votes cast have been legal. I would recommend people take a look at how Neon wants the votes, especially because he's indicated he's going to be strict in his counting.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #140
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the list has no value. If I were the alpha wolf I would use random.org to pick the wolves.

knives out
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #141
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm pissed that the alpha wolf didn't pick me. I'm bored of being a villegar...i'm coming after you apha-wolf!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #142
RealDeal
High School Varsity

Yep, all votes most be standalone posts.

Votes should be in blue, and unvotes should be in red
Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #143
st.cronin
General Manager

VOTE BARKEEP49

Not neccesarily suspicious of him, but he did say he wanted to take a game off...

knives out
Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #144
st.cronin
General Manager

VOTE BARKEEP49

Blue? Ok.

knives out
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm going to vote for someone who doesn't vote properly, since RealDeal just posted the voting procedures
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

maybe neon uses some odd filipino-skin where blue really stands out? LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 PM   #147
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Well, can't say I have much to add on who-would-pick-who Wolf wise. Is that how we're going here? It just seems too much like a shot in the dark and

A) A smart Alpha Wolf wouldn't make it too easy to decide

B) A smart pack of wolves could manipulate such a discussion easily.

C) What if the Alpha Wolf is a seasoned vet, and decided he'd just pick up the best vets he could, figuring at least he has the "talent" to his advantage?

A & B are certainly true. C however forgets that most of the players here have played for a bit. And without loss of talent could choose others besides the list totally.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #148
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cronin, I don't think your other vote in blue is good either based on the rules. I've posted the Voting section in its entirety from the initial page.

V. VOTING:
For the sake of counting votes and making them stand out completely, the following voting format will be employed:

Only valid votes will be counted. Votes must be stand-alone posts, in bold, and colored blue. Casing does not matter, nor does punctuation. Any vote that does not follow this format is INVALID.

example:
Vote Skydog

Unvoting is similar. Unvotes must be stand-alone posts, in bold, and colored red. Casing does not matter. Any unvote that does not follow this format is INVALID.

example:
Unvote Skydog

A combination of an Unvote and a Vote is allowed, see the example:

example:
Unvote Skydog
Vote Skydog

Votes will be tallied at the end of a Day Phase. The player with the most number of votes will be lynched. In case of ties, there will be a specific tiebreaker. The first valid vote cast between the tied players (an unvoted vote does not count) will determine the player to be lynched.

example:

A votes for C
B votes for D
A unvotes C
A votes for D
A unvotes D
A votes for C

D and C are tied. A cast the first vote, however, he unvoted, which means B's vote is the deciding vote. D is thus lynched.

You may NOT vote for a No Lynch.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #149
Passacaglia
Coordinator

VOTE PURDUEBRAD
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #150
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Just fixing my vote.