Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Alright boyz, here we go!!! Fallout 3 first impressions thread!

Still my favorite RPG of all time. It has been 10 long years since Fallout 2, but it looks as though Bethesda has made it worth the wait from the previews. They have done a really nice job creating a bleak environment and looks like they have managed to maintain a lot of the appeal of the first two games with the 50's themes, edgy NPC's and a vast non-linear storyline. I am not a FP shooter type of player either so the VATS targeting set up is something I am definitely looking forward to as well.

Who else is planning on giving this a try when released?

Walkthrough videos

YouTube - Fallout 3 - Escape (1 of 5)

YouTube - Fallout 3 - Megaton (2 of 5)

YouTube - Fallout 3 - The Wasteland (3 of 5)

YouTube - Fallout 3 - Super-Duper Mart (4 of 5)

YouTube - Fallout 3 - Tenpenny Tower (5 of 5)

Last edited by BYU 14 : 10-27-2008 at 09:45 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
SportsDino
College Prospect

I'm looking forward to it, Fallout series is a classic.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Definitely a day one purchase for me.

I still have my doubts on Bethesda's ability to pull off the feel of Fallout, but I've played the first two so much there's no way I can pass it up.

Bethesda has some neat ideas with open-ended RPG's but they have felt completely soulless for the most part. There's no NPC's or storylines that stand out at all from the previous games, and your actions really didn't seem to have any effect on the world. I think these are a couple things that are extremely important to pulling off Fallout.

They ever said anything about mod tools for the PC version? That's the thing that saved Morrowind/Oblivion was the user created mods.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

The half hour I spent with it in July was phenomenal. I can't wait for the release.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Haven't heard anything on mods for the PC, but the previews all seem to point to the fact that your actions will have a big influence on how the world reacts to you. From the videos you have a huge decision to make very early on that it seems will have a lot of impact on how you will have to go about things.

A couple of reviewers mentioned how Oblivion's world was not immersive to them, but that Fallout 3 sucked them right in. They also indicated the NPC's all seemed unique and not of the cookie cutter variety that many of Oblivions NPC's were.

If they can pull off the overall feel of the first 2 this will be an exceptional game.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The half hour I spent with it in July was phenomenal. I can't wait for the release.

How did you swing that?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
hawk4669
High School JV

I've been into Fallout since I played my all time favorite game (Wasteland) back in the late 80's on my Commodore 128.

Loved the first two (just played through Fallout 2 again in anticipation for 3 coming out soon). Have the survival edition pre-ordered for the 360 and have the date circled on my calendar. The release date coincides with one of my vacation choices from work too. Didn't plan it that way, but also not complaining!

In short, can't wait.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I've been into Fallout since I played my all time favorite game (Wasteland) back in the late 80's on my Commodore 128.

Loved the first two (just played through Fallout 2 again in anticipation for 3 coming out soon). Have the survival edition pre-ordered for the 360 and have the date circled on my calendar. The release date coincides with one of my vacation choices from work too. Didn't plan it that way, but also not complaining!

In short, can't wait.

Cheers!

AGREED!!! Wasteland on the c64 is one of my all time favorite games!!!!

This will definitely be a day 1 purchase for me!

Need to stop by Gamestop and reserve that puppy...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
AGREED!!! Wasteland on the c64 is one of my all time favorite games!!!!

This will definitely be a day 1 purchase for me!

Need to stop by Gamestop and reserve that puppy...

Though I think the reference to Wasteland makes me officially old to a lot of people here....and others are scratching their heads going "What is this Wasteland you speak of?"

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Wasteland was pure awesomness.

Hoping we see the return of the Red Ryder BB Gun in Fallout 3!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
SportsDino
College Prospect

I really hope they provide modding tools, I never got up the energy to do it for Morrowind or Oblivion, games that are great because most days I just want to walk a wilderness and bash some faces in, but it did require mods to get rid of annoying leveling crap.

I loved Fallout so much I made my own game script for a third version back as a kid (ironically Fallout USA starting in DC). If there is modding, the content mods from dedicated Fallout fans alone will be enough to make it worth the buy in my opinion. At worst it will be a highly themed shooter, which is about on par with Fallout Tactics.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

I have heard that the levels for each area will not mirror your characters level in terms of difficulty, something I found a bit annoying at times in Oblivion. It will be nice to go into areas that you are not ready for and take a beatdown once in a while if you are not careful.

I also have to give props to Wasteland, got many hours of enjoyment out of that on the Apple IIC, LOL.

This franchise begs for an MMORPG version, hope it sells well enough that that may be considered down the road.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 10-09-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Three weeks to decide between the PC version for possible mods down the road or the PS3 version on the big screen.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Three weeks to decide between the PC version for possible mods down the road or the PS3 version on the big screen.

I am gambling it will be good as is so I am going with the PS3 version for big screen hi def.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Oblivion meets Bioshock is about the best way I can summarize the way this game looks to me. Translation: it will probably be the only 1-player game I buy in 2008
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for this game either. I'm going for the 360 version to have Hi-Def big screen goodness
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I have heard that the levels for each area will not mirror your characters level in terms of difficulty, something I found a bit annoying at times in Oblivion. It will be nice to go into areas that you are not ready for and take a beatdown once in a while if you are not careful.

I believe this was the case in the previous 2 as well. I can recall in Fallout 2 (after I played it linear the first time) going straight to San Fran to get the Power Fist and (Power?) Armor and making a badass unarmed combat character. Of course...you had to be extremely careful and sneak by any situations that might be too difficult for you at a beginning level...but really made for some entertaining replayability.

Awesome series...cant wait for this.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
Though I think the reference to Wasteland makes me officially old to a lot of people here....and others are scratching their heads going "What is this Wasteland you speak of?"

Cheers!

Remember Babbages? That's where I bought most of my C64 games back in the day...
Old 10-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I can't wait for this game either. I'm going for the 360 version to have Hi-Def big screen goodness

Me too.. 24" monitor or 46" HDTV... I'll go with the TV.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 PM   #20
Calis
College Starter

I never even considered anything butthe PC version. After playing the 360 and PC versions of Oblivion, it wasn't anywhere near the same game. The PC version was an exponentially better game.

Not sure the difference will be as big with this one though as they've been pretty tight lipped about the mod tools saying that they'll try and release something, so that's not too promising.

Oblivion was a completely different(and much better) game when the modders got a hold of it and fixed all the crappy decisions Bethesda made.

Last edited by Calis : 10-09-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Remember Babbages? That's where I bought most of my C64 games back in the day...

Yup...and Software Etc. as well!

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
How did you swing that?

E3, baby.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Some new game footage from GTTV. Man I can't wait for this!

Gametrailers.com - Gametrailers TV with Geoff Keighley
Old 10-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #24
samifan24
Pro Starter

I never played either of the first two games but Fallout 3 looks pretty cool and I've added it to my list of games to check out if I ever buy a PS3.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

Watched the 5 videos

Pre-ordered
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:49 PM   #26
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Pre-ordered it today. 2 weeks away!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Loaded Fallout last night just so I could play again. Personally, I think the opening of Fallout is one of the best openings of all computer games that I've played.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

I was at Fry's yesterday. They have a Fallout 1-2-3 pack for $19.99.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I was at Fry's yesterday. They have a Fallout 1-2-3 pack for $19.99.

My guess is that it isn't Fallout 3, but Fallout Tactics, which is not an RPG, but still shares the Fallout name and time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
My guess is that it isn't Fallout 3, but Fallout Tactics, which is not an RPG, but still shares the Fallout name and time.
Yes, you are right. Sorry.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So I preordered this based on the hype and an early review.

I've never played any of the others. Will I be lost? Will I like it?

Considering that we don't know what Fallout 3 will be like, I think you'll be fine. I think it's most vets who played 1 and 2 who may or may not be turned off by the new format.

I think it'll be fine, but I think some aspect of the Fallout universe will be lost with the first person view format.

I still plan to purchase it.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #32
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Considering that we don't know what Fallout 3 will be like, I think you'll be fine. I think it's most vets who played 1 and 2 who may or may not be turned off by the new format.

I think it'll be fine, but I think some aspect of the Fallout universe will be lost with the first person view format.

I still plan to purchase it.

There's an over the shoulder view as well. You don't have to play it first-person.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #33
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
There's an over the shoulder view as well. You don't have to play it first-person.

The over the shoulder is still foreign to the initial Fallout games.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Picking this up at Midnight tonight .. Can't wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #35
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Since I was going to be up to watch the Phils, I was debating about this, but no Best Buy is going to participate in the midnight opening thing in my area.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #36
Anthony
Banned

what's better to have - the 360 version or the PC version? and keep in mind i have an above average but not mega PC.

what kind of game is this - action RPG? how cool or worthwhile are the mods usually and is the world big?

sorry for all the questions.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
what's better to have - the 360 version or the PC version? and keep in mind i have an above average but not mega PC.

what kind of game is this - action RPG? how cool or worthwhile are the mods usually and is the world big?

sorry for all the questions.

Out of the box there won't be any modding tools, but they said there's a strong possibility they'll be released for PC at some point. So for at least the first couple months there won't be much difference between the 360 and the PC versions.

The game is an action-RPG that you can go back and forth between 3rd and 1st person views. I don't know if you're familiar with other Bethesda games, but expect an insane amount of potential gameplay. Oblivion had over 200 hours of gameplay if you did all of the sidequests and probably between 40 and 60 if you stuck with the main story.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 PM   #38
pjstp20
High School Varsity

PC version will be best in terms of graphics and modding capabilities:

Fallout 3, PC version is gorgeous - nV News Forums

It's been said that this is gonna be very similar to Oblivion in size and scope if you're familiar with that game. Oblivion had tons of mods.

I think action RPG would be an accurate categorization.
pjstp20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #39
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstp20 View Post
Oblivion had tons of mods.

To expand on this a bit, once Bethesda releases the modding tools the PC version will blow the console versions away. The mod community for Oblivion was amazing. Re-texured graphics, more quests, NPC behavior changed, just about anything you could imagine.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #40
SackAttack
Head Coach

Everytime I see this thread I run to my email to see if I have a package waiting for me yet.

Damn you guys.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #41
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So I preordered this based on the hype and an early review.

I've never played any of the others. Will I be lost? Will I like it?

And you can get the old games for cheap now.

Fallout - GOG.com
Fallout 2 - GOG.com
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow night should be a great time!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #43
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I'm looking forward to Fallout 3, but at a reduced pricepoint once it drops. I have a hard time buying single player games at full retail.

And I may be a fossil, but I remember the first midnight opening for something that I participated in....U2's Achtung Baby, at In Your Ear Records on Providence's East Side.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:37 PM   #44
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Holy crap...I forgot this came out tomorrow. I still need to beat Dead Space and then I'll definitely be picking this up. Unfortunately, I get so scared playing Dead Space it's taking me a long time.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #45
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I rarely buy 1-player only games. Last year it was Bioshock and this year it's Fallout 3. I won't be buying anymore games for a while that don't have some sort of multiplayer component. I'll be playing this tomorrow night for a couple of hours and even more on Thursday when I have a day off. I can't wait!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #46
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox

OK, since you are getting this tonight I changed the thread title and will be expecting some hands on news when I wake D-man!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 PM   #47
aran
High School Varsity

Why does direct2drive make me wait until 10AM to download the game? I ordered it from them on the assumption that I would be able to run the download while I was at work. I guess I'll have to configure remote desktop so I can get to this machine from work and start the download.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #48
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Waiting for the Wings to finish before I play.

One thing irking me already is isn't supported for 1080p. It looks like 720 is it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:31 PM   #49
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Freakin RRoD.

Got it last night when I had just bought Portal so I could play it again. I dont even turn the thing on much. This is a really bad time of the year for this...
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I should add I have Fallout for PS3, so it's possible that it supports 1080p on the 360, I am not sure, but it does not for the PS.