Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #101
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

OH, and I cleared the Elementary School because that was the first place I stumbled on.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #102
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Hey DeTox-

Not too far actually, I did a crapload of exploring early. I've reached Megaton, did what I said in the spoiler and went to the grocery store for Moira at the supply shop. I am either going to follow the path to find dad (paid 300 caps for that info, ugh!) or keep screwing around with Moira's missions. How about you?

I am in the metro systems. It sucks. I am dealing with these crablike things. Hard as hell to kill. Eventually I'll go back to Megaton and explore there more. It's a blast.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #103
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I am truly amazed by this game. I thought that Mass Effect was the best gaming experience I've had but this is going to compete.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #104
KWhit
Coordinator

Wow. I am digging the fact that the enemies don't scale like they did in Oblivian. I just got my ass handed to me by some super mutants while I was floundering around in the wasteland. The fact that the missile he launched at me blow both my legs off as I flew through the air was a nice little bonus.

This is fun as crap.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #105
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
OH, and I cleared the Elementary School because that was the first place I stumbled on.

I picked up way too much shit in the school. Same thing in the Hospital when you get to that point.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #106
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I am in the metro systems. It sucks. I am dealing with these crablike things. Hard as hell to kill. Eventually I'll go back to Megaton and explore there more. It's a blast.

Did you get to Three Dog finally?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #107
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Did you get to Three Dog finally?

Yeah. Not sure why I had problems but I had to kill the guys outside to get the Fat Boy or whatever it is. It's awesome. I am doing his mission now. Have you done it?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #108
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you want to see some angry, bitter people, go over to No Mutants Allowed.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #109
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. Not sure why I had problems but I had to kill the guys outside to get the Fat Boy or whatever it is. It's awesome. I am doing his mission now. Have you done it?

I haven't got the game yet, I telecommute and I don't want distractions before the weekend

I will pick it up Saturday and waste most of Sunday on it
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #110
Izulde
Head Coach

I was going to try holding off on getting this, maybe putting it on my Christmas list.

Then my roommate came home with the 360 version.

...I'll be hopping the bus to the store after my office hours tomorrow to pick up a version. Can't decide between 360 and PS3, though. Maybe I'll give Oblivion a run through on the PS3 tonight to see how I do with the controller again.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #111
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Can't decide between 360 and PS3, though. Maybe I'll give Oblivion a run through on the PS3 tonight to see how I do with the controller again.

Just going by general impressions on other sites, you might want to go with the 360 version. Apparently it has better textures and draw distance or something, plus DLC that only the 360 and PC versions get.

Now I've put in about ten hours on the PS3 version and I think it looks great and haven't suffered any crashes or choppy framerates but I don't nit-pick technical aspects of games as much as others.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM   #112
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Just going by general impressions on other sites, you might want to go with the 360 version. Apparently it has better textures and draw distance or something, plus DLC that only the 360 and PC versions get.

Now I've put in about ten hours on the PS3 version and I think it looks great and haven't suffered any crashes or choppy framerates but I don't nit-pick technical aspects of games as much as others.

Fo, where are you at in the game? I am curious if you've been through the Metros yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #113
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Fo, where are you at in the game? I am curious if you've been through the Metros yet.
I'm not too far in since I keep jumping around between different side-quests.

Spoiler

I had turned off the PS3 for the night but now I won't be able to resist another hour or so of playing, this game is addictive. So far it might be the best one I've played all year.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM   #114
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

First kill with the pistol in the vault I did a head shot in VAT and the guard's head flew off across the room.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaawesome.

(and they are worried about ESRB problems with nipples on mods??)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 10-30-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #115
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Man, loving this game. Played for another couple hours yesterday (before playing my EBFL game) and made some progress. I made it to GNR, used speech for success so I don't have to do anything for Three Dog, and started to make my way south. I ran into health and ammo problems though so I bailed on that for now, bolted back to Megaton and

Spoiler
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #116
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
If you want to see some angry, bitter people, go over to No Mutants Allowed.

What are they bitching about now? This game is absolutely incredible.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #117
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
What are they bitching about now? This game is absolutely incredible.

I went over there just to see. After browsing for 5 minutes, seems like the general bitterness is over

A. That Bethesda did this game
B. That it was made into a 3D FPS
C. That it is based on Oblivion

Lots of Radioactive Sand in the Vagina over there.

I'm sure it was just a self-fufilling prophecy over there. I have no doubt that when Bethesda announced a 3D form of Fallout 3 the seed of suck was planted and no matter what happened, that seed of suck grew into a tree of hatred for Fallout 3 so, they weren't going to like it no matter what.

Meh.. ah well.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #118
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I went over there just to see. After browsing for 5 minutes, seems like the general bitterness is over

A. That Bethesda did this game
B. That it was made into a 3D FPS
C. That it is based on Oblivion

Lots of Radioactive Sand in the Vagina over there.

I'm sure it was just a self-fufilling prophecy over there. I have no doubt that when Bethesda announced a 3D form of Fallout 3 the seed of suck was planted and no matter what happened, that seed of suck grew into a tree of hatred for Fallout 3 so, they weren't going to like it no matter what.

Meh.. ah well.

I wish I had a link for the quote, but this was the one that just was the impetus.

"It's like Bethesda decided to rape my childhood of everything that was good."
Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #119
KWhit
Coordinator

Oh yeah. I saw all that stuff back when the game was announced and some details started to come out.

I was wondering if there was anything new there that they were bitching about after some of them actually played the game.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #120
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They won't play the game.. after all they might be proved wrong!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #121
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
They won't play the game.. after all they will be proved wrong!

Fixed it for you
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #122
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Big Fo,

You're not screwed out of a place in Megaton.

Spoiler
Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #123
Tasan
College Starter

Wow. I just spent 2 hours on this game, and barely got to wandering around in Megaton. I probably could have spend even more time in the Vault, too. I poked around in the school outside of Megaton a little and killed some guys, but I have a feeling I'll be going back there for a reason at some point.

Anyway, I had a crash in Megaton on the PC version. I was about to go into a building and it died. I had saved not too long before that, so I'm okay, just FYI though.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just made it to Georgetown. It is pretty ridiculous because I have 1 stimpack left, and hardly any ammo. This is absurd. I got killed by a missle the first time I played this area and I have NO idea where it came from.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #125
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Suggestion for those on PC version.

Make sure you don't rely on a quicksave, try out a new character, quicksave, and go back. for some reason I thought they'd be kept seperate. I lost about 5 hours of playtime. . Had to start ALLLL the way back where I left the vault.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #126
Izulde
Head Coach

Played 3 hours on my roommate's copy while he was in class (He said it was okay).

...And holy shit. The last time I got sucked this hard into a console game was all the way back to Jade Empire. I couldn't believe it when the roommate came back to re-claim his game and it was 4:00 pm.

I spent a lot of time running around the Vault. I'll have to go through it a second time when I get my own copy but I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I'm wondering if there's anyone else that did what I did in the vault.

Spoiler

I actually think you get a -lot- more out of the game if you've played Fallout 1 and 2. It was such a thrill for me to go from third person of those games I loved to the first person of this game. It really made me feel like I'm the Vault Dweller and I don't think that sensation is nearly as acute if you haven't played the prior games.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #127
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
...And holy shit. The last time I got sucked this hard into a console game was all the way back to Jade Empire. I couldn't believe it when the roommate came back to re-claim his game and it was 4:00 pm.

I spent a lot of time running around the Vault. I'll have to go through it a second time when I get my own copy but I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile I'm wondering if there's anyone else that did what I did in the vault.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-30-2008 at 05:21 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #128
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #129
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Godspeed to everyone when they get in the Metro. I think I'm done in there right now .. I sure fucking hope so.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #130
Anthony
Banned

do i need to read the manual or is the tutorial good enough?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #131
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Earn your man card and just dive right in

I don't have it yet, but from reports the tutorial is fairly robust.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #132
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Funny you mention this. I haven't loaded my copy of Fallout 1 that I bought a couple days ago because I'm still reading the manual. 124 pages!!

Is the Fallout 3 manual as epic in nature?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #133
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Funny you mention this. I haven't loaded my copy of Fallout 1 that I bought a couple days ago because I'm still reading the manual. 124 pages!!

Is the Fallout 3 manual as epic in nature?

No.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #134
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Played 3 hours on my roommate's copy while he was in class (He said it was okay).

Spoiler

I actually think you get a -lot- more out of the game if you've played Fallout 1 and 2. It was such a thrill for me to go from third person of those games I loved to the first person of this game. It really made me feel like I'm the Vault Dweller and I don't think that sensation is nearly as acute if you haven't played the prior games.

Spoiler
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #135
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Reading this thread is making me want to take this off my Christmas list and buy it for myself tomorrow.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-30-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:34 AM   #136
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Reading this thread is making me want to take this off my Christmas list and buy it for myself tomorrow.

Thats pretty much the way it went down for me.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #137
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Big Fo,

You're not screwed out of a place in Megaton.

I finally got my own place, thanks. Hopefully I throw enough grenades that putting all those points into explosives was worth it. That Moira charges an arm and a leg for house items though.

I just had something interesting occur that you guys may or may not want to read. (nothing to do with the main quest)

Spoiler

This game has definitely exceeded my expectations thus far.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #138
Lonnie
High School Varsity

So I got an email that Gamefly shipped this on Oct. 28th. I guess I returned Mercenaries 2 at the right time. The only big problem is that I am in Alaska for the week for work, so I won't see it until at the minimum 8pm on Firday Oct 31st. So I fly out at 8 am tomorrow and get home at 7:30 on Friday. Thanks guys for getting me al worked up.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #139
sabotai
General Manager

Just got this today and I'm pretty hooked on it. Started playing around 9pm and the time flew by.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 AM   #140
Tasan
College Starter

Well crapola. After almost 3 hours of play into it, I got my character completely screwed.

Spoiler
Old 10-31-2008, 03:09 AM   #141
Izulde
Head Coach

So my Chinese roommate walks in and is just like "Wow."

Because in the living room, our other roommate is playing Fallout 3 on the 360.

I'm in my room playing Fallout 3 on the PS3.

It's 3 am?

How the hell did that happen?!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #142
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
It's 3 am?

How the hell did that happen?!

Notice when my posts were? I was asking the same thing man. The only problem I have with this game is that it creeps me out, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to play it more. Halflife 2 and Bioshock were the same dang way. I usually only get evening times to play these things too, so dark + creepy feelings + easily freaked out adult male = game that doesn't get finished often in this house.

I don't know though, I really like this game.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #143
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Notice when my posts were? I was asking the same thing man. The only problem I have with this game is that it creeps me out, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna be able to play it more. Halflife 2 and Bioshock were the same dang way. I usually only get evening times to play these things too, so dark + creepy feelings + easily freaked out adult male = game that doesn't get finished often in this house.

I don't know though, I really like this game.

Huzzah! I'm not the only coward!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #144
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Lol @ beards.

Fallout 3: Saluting Fallout 3's Beards
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #145
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post

I so, so agree with everything said in that article.

And while it's not related to beards.... Megaton area question...

Spoiler

Old 10-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #146
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Is this the kind of game that a non RPG fan could get into? I have been trying to decide between this, Farcry 2, and a couple others. I like what I am reading here but being a guy that has never been a huge RPG fan I am wondering if it is something I will enjoy.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #147
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Can't speak for Far Cry 2, but the one thing to understand about Fallout 3, is that you go through the 1st chapter, you exit the vault and then *bam* the world is yours to explore at your own risk.

Spoiler
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #148
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Is this the kind of game that a non RPG fan could get into? I have been trying to decide between this, Farcry 2, and a couple others. I like what I am reading here but being a guy that has never been a huge RPG fan I am wondering if it is something I will enjoy.

I hate RPG's and I love this game.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM   #149
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Spoiler
Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM   #150
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
Can't speak for Far Cry 2, but the one thing to understand about Fallout 3, is that you go through the 1st chapter, you exit the vault and then *bam* the world is yours to explore at your own risk.

Spoiler

Speaking of early cool moments...

Spoiler