Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM   #151
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola, I've explored a good bit of the world east of Megaton but I still haven't found the school. I kinda want to check it out. Roughly where is it in terms of Megaton?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #152
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Dola, I've explored a good bit of the world east of Megaton but I still haven't found the school. I kinda want to check it out. Roughly where is it in terms of Megaton?

I believe it's when you leave the vault, head straight and it's the big building on your left.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 PM   #153
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post

I think it's northwest of the Vault entrance.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #154
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

All the stuff you collect out and about, anyone know if it is best to sell it or are there certain hard to find items that you should hold onto?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #155
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

How badly do you want to be spoiled?

Spoiler
Old 10-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #156
SportsDino
College Prospect

Generally sell everything unless its really cool, gives you more room for cooler loot you will likely find. Keep around some copies of your primary gun though, need them to repair (and lots of your primary ammo of course). Usually these games lately have been very generous on the loot side, so you'll just get annoyed you can't pick up everything on your next trip if you pack too much onto your character (even though logic would say supplies are scarce in the post apocalypse).
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #157
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Has anybody
Spoiler
Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #158
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Has anybody
Spoiler

Spoiler
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #159
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

LOL at the Nuka-Cola side-quest.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #160
hawk4669
High School JV

Spoiler

www.hbfire.org

Last edited by hawk4669 : 10-31-2008 at 11:47 PM.
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #161
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I believe it's when you leave the vault, head straight and it's the big building on your left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I think it's northwest of the Vault entrance.

Thanks. I know why I missed it.

Spoiler
Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #162
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Whew, the mission with Reilly's Rangers is finally over and...wow, spent lots of ammo, stimpacks, etc. and yet came out with a ton of stuff too. Worst part was trying to get back to their stupid base because I hate using the underground systems.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #163
BYU 14
Coordinator

OK, just picked up the PS 3 version for FREE. Out local Game Crazy got bought out by Ultimate Electronics and they added 20% to trade in values through Christmas. So Madden '08, Call of Duty 4 and Resistance: Fall of Man = Free Fallout 3!

I am the only one home, a cold 6 Pack of Sam Adams, 3 hours till the BYU game and nothing to do in the meantime but play FO3!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #164
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
OK, just picked up the PS 3 version for FREE. Out local Game Crazy got bought out by Ultimate Electronics and they added 20% to trade in values through Christmas. So Madden '08, Call of Duty 4 and Resistance: Fall of Man = Free Fallout 3!

I am the only one home, a cold 6 Pack of Sam Adams, 3 hours till the BYU game and nothing to do in the meantime but play FO3!

lol @ free
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #165
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Vault 106 spoiler...

Edit :
Spoiler
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 11-01-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #166
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
lol @ free

I know, just living in the present. 3 hours and barely to Megaton.....The game is spectacular!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #167
Calis
College Starter

I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been sick and played a lot over the last two days. It has faults of course, and they're mostly the same as with any of the Bethesda games, so it's not surprising. They definitely don't have the writing skills or the ability to pull off stellar NPC's, so that's a letdown but I'm still having a blast wandering around. I think they've nailed the environment, and I love clambering up a huge mound of trash and just looking around. I'm playing on PC so I imagine my view distance is better than consoles, it's really nice.

I actually thought it was extremely difficult towards the beginning, but I think I headed the tougher route first so I had a very tough time both with ammo and health. It was fun, but now that I've gone the other way I have more than enough ammo and loads of stimpacks. Not sure if I'm happy or sad about that.

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, but as I've put more time into it I'm really having a good time. I like using VATS and just exploring the wastes.

Last edited by Calis : 11-01-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #168
Anthony
Banned

i was too scared to search for the meds at the Super Mart, i just got the food and left. i tried to take on the raiders myself and just didn't have enough to do it so i didn't want to keep on dying just to get both meds and food.

Spoiler

what's the best way to kill a fire ant?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #169
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

I found the Fire Ants pretty brutal at the start. There's pointers you get from people to aim for the antenna as this "disorients" them, but I didn't notice too much of a benefit to doing this over just blasting them in the face with a shotgun.

When you get to the Fire Ant Warriors and Soldiers, then I went more cheese and used the environment to block the fire while I waited for my action points to regen.

Aggravating guys for sure.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #170
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If two or more fire ants are attacking you at once, back up and throw a grenade into the mix and sometimes they'll start attacking each other. Like Calis I didn't find targeting their antenna to be any more effective than going for headshots.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #171
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
i was too scared to search for the meds at the Super Mart, i just got the food and left. i tried to take on the raiders myself and just didn't have enough to do it so i didn't want to keep on dying just to get both meds and food.

Spoiler

I am dealing with the situation in your spoiler now

Spoiler

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-01-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #172
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
I am dealing with the situation in your spoiler now

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 11-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #173
Tasan
College Starter

Another evening, another creep out session. I just can't play this game very long at night without getting the heebie jeebies.

Spoiler

Last edited by Tasan : 11-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #174
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Moira doesn't have any ammo to sell in Megaton? Just make sure it's between 9am and 5pm. Also every now and then a caravan will pull up outside of Megaton and those guys will usually have ammo and stimpaks.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #175
sabotai
General Manager

I always keep 1 of every gun type because ammo is hard to come by. I have a 10mm pistol, combat shotgun, hunter rifle, assault rifle, laser pistol, sniper rifle and a magnum (with a scope!). I'll usually have ammo for something since I hoard it and buy it whenever I can. But sometimes I do run out.

That's when the bad guy gets a sledgehammer upside their head.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #176
BYU 14
Coordinator

Made my first foray across the Potomac today heading to the tepid sewers.....As I was crossing the bridge I was gazing up at the desolate DC skyline not even realizing the bridge as mined.............until 5 simultaneous explosions and 2 crippled legs later

This game is incredible...
Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #177
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
This game is incredible...

It really is. It brings back fond memories of games like Torment, the original Fallout games, Baldur's gate 2, and other classic RPGs.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #178
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Are most people playing on PC or one of the consoles?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #179
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

cant hold out any longer, just ordered it
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #180
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I picked it up for the 360. Its really, really nice looking.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #181
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm on the PC with mostly medium settings and it looks freakin awesome.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #182
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think this thread has finally convinced me to take it off my list (which I'm giving to wife tomorrow) and just buy it tomorrow on my way home from work.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #183
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I just bought it on the PC... installing now. Will let know how it is later.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #184
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been wondering around the school for a few hours.. the thing I like about the game is you have to figure out which weapons work better for each bad guy.

The ants were a PITA at first, even with a gun, but I found out a switch blade works wonders!

Decided to stop for a bit since I'm stuck in the caves under the school.. not sure how to get up to what appears to be an area just a jump away.. but my guy doesn't jump high enough... it's down where the ants are.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #185
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Declaration of Independence is mine! Actually, I've already turned it over but damn, that mission felt good.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #186
SackAttack
Head Coach

I don't want to risk reading the spoilers, so Anthony, the answer on fire ants that works for me - one at a time.

As for the Super Duper Mart, that strategy works there, too. Stick to the dark, pick 'em off one by one (sneaking helps out big time there), and you can actually get everything before you have to leave. There's other things you can do, too, but that's how I got through it with nothing but a pistol. Sneak, stay hidden, and for the love of God don't attract more than one at a time.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #187
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I have it on the PS 3 and it looks very nice. I love the occasional dust devil that will pop up in the wastes, swirling dirt and debris around. I slso think the wind sounds just plain eerie at times, especially when you have been walking for a little bit with no sign of life anywhere.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #188
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I don't want to risk reading the spoilers, so Anthony, the answer on fire ants that works for me - one at a time.

As for the Super Duper Mart, that strategy works there, too. Stick to the dark, pick 'em off one by one (sneaking helps out big time there), and you can actually get everything before you have to leave. There's other things you can do, too, but that's how I got through it with nothing but a pistol. Sneak, stay hidden, and for the love of God don't attract more than one at a time.

I agree with sack on Super Duper Mart, also stick to the perimeter as much as possible.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-02-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #189
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

That worked for me as well, though I did attract 2 a few times. I got my first one shot kill here which was very cool, sneaking up fairly close to a raider and getting a sneak attack crit in the back.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #190
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
I agree with sack on Super Duper Mart, also stick to the perimeter as much as possible.

but i have a hunch playing it safe might hurt you - don't you think the developers also know that so i'm thinking they put some decent stuff in the center of the Mart for those with the balls to clear out the place and venture towards the middle of the place. that's one place i plan on going back to once i get more powerful, just to check out what's inside. the game did a good job of freaking me out the 2 times i went inside so i just wanted to grab what i could and just leave.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #191
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
but i have a hunch playing it safe might hurt you - don't you think the developers also know that so i'm thinking they put some decent stuff in the center of the Mart for those with the balls to clear out the place and venture towards the middle of the place. that's one place i plan on going back to once i get more powerful, just to check out what's inside. the game did a good job of freaking me out the 2 times i went inside so i just wanted to grab what i could and just leave.

Yeah, but the thing is, if you do it the way I described, you CAN clear everybody out of there and then go hunt for that decent stuff. It just takes longer.

Doing it my way, you should conserve ammunition and health items, to which you can add what you find in the center of the Super Duper Mart. Hell, there's stuff in the SDM that I need to go back for so I can sell them for caps (or use them to build stuff), but I just couldn't carry them when I left.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #192
hawk4669
High School JV

Spoiler

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #193
Radii
Head Coach

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I'm going real slow on normal, some early areas like the school and super mart have been quite suspenseful but not really life threatening. That may be b/c I assume death is all around me and go *real* slow heh.

Anyway, question about the lower level of the school, spoiler tag as there's detail about what I've done:

Spoiler
Old 11-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #194
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I couldn't find a way to advance in that area either. Hopefully that's by design and I didn't miss out on something cool or useful.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #195
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm on whatever the default is, Radii. Haven't done the school yet, although with the scaling, maybe I ought to soon. Buff up a bit and come back to beat the Fire Ants when I'm stronger, since they should be locked to level 4.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #196
Radii
Head Coach

Oh man, VATS has some simply awesome effects with it. I found a place with a few super mutants and am not really totally equipped to deal with it just yet, but eh, experimenting. One of them came charging at me with a fire grenade in his right hand. I went into VATS with my hunting rifle, successfully shot the grenade while he was still holding onto it, it exploded and blew him to hell and back. Definitely the coolest thing I've seen so far
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #197
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm on whatever the default is, Radii.

Ok cool. I am not the type that replays games usually, so if I needed to be on a harder difficulty to have the best experience, I wanted to figure that out now.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #198
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, but the thing is, if you do it the way I described, you CAN clear everybody out of there and then go hunt for that decent stuff. It just takes longer.

Doing it my way, you should conserve ammunition and health items, to which you can add what you find in the center of the Super Duper Mart. Hell, there's stuff in the SDM that I need to go back for so I can sell them for caps (or use them to build stuff), but I just couldn't carry them when I left.

I mentioned this earlier as a spoiler but since everyone is discussing it, stealth is key and if you activate the robot he'll attract all the enemies while you pick them off with stealth crits. You can clear the place out real quick and easy.

I can't stress how much I'm relying on stealth and I didn't even emphasize it at startup. Next playthrough though, it gets pumped from the beginning.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 AM   #199
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm on whatever the default is, Radii. Haven't done the school yet, although with the scaling, maybe I ought to soon. Buff up a bit and come back to beat the Fire Ants when I'm stronger, since they should be locked to level 4.

I thought the scaling was limited to a range ( ie level 1-4 ) ect and would never exceed the top level so you can eventually overpower the weak stuff when you're powerful and get wasted when you're weak but it'll be a challenge if you're in the range that the monster was designed for.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #200
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Oh man, VATS has some simply awesome effects with it. I found a place with a few super mutants and am not really totally equipped to deal with it just yet, but eh, experimenting. One of them came charging at me with a fire grenade in his right hand. I went into VATS with my hunting rifle, successfully shot the grenade while he was still holding onto it, it exploded and blew him to hell and back. Definitely the coolest thing I've seen so far

I agree, I ran into a pack of Mole Rats in the wasteland and tossed a frag grenade to try and take out a couple before they got to me as I was low on ammo. One walked right over it as it blew and went probably 30 feet on the air, doing several complete flips before landing on it's back, with both it's head and a leg missing. As I was fighting the other two with my Pistol in real time, I noticed the head go rolling by me down the hill.

Minefield
Spoiler