Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #101
hoopsguy
General Manager

I honestly have no idea how to play Day 1 in this game compared to any other game. There pretty much has to be some optimal play, given the diversity of roles here but I don't think I'm going to have enough FOFC time today to really work on this.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #102
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I honestly have no idea how to play Day 1 in this game compared to any other game. There pretty much has to be some optimal play, given the diversity of roles here but I don't think I'm going to have enough FOFC time today to really work on this.

I hadn't really followed the custom roles much until just this morning. Two things jump out:

1) There are a lot of ways for us not to know exactly who is going to be lynched by votes alone (love/hate guy for example). That's gonna play hell with vote analysis.

2) There don't appear to be a lot of roles that can bring folks back. I see one or two but they look pretty conditional.

My hope was that we could have a sacrifical lamb for day one that someone could bring back if they turned out good. Other than the Whiny Bitch (great role, btw) I don't see any.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #103
hoopsguy
General Manager

Even with the Whiny Bitch, there is no guarantee that we are bringing back a villager. It is listed under "Good/Bad/Neutral" and I don't see anything in the description that suggests it must be good.

Only value-add in doing this is in avoiding a Day 1 lynch to try and get other people through Day 1 to use their powers.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #104
path12
Coordinator

Are allegiances revealed on lynch? If so, we'd know exactly what we were bringing back, wouldn't we?

Course, I might just be rusty and missing something obvious.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #105
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i was thinking the same thing...i had actually typed out a post earlier in the morning suggesting the Crazy Granny reveal and let us all vote for her and have the Govenor reveal and pardon her, thus giving us 2 cleared villagers immediately, one of whom cant be killed at night, but I have to reread all the roles to see if there are other ways to kill the granny before i can be sure that is a good idea.

I don't care for this strategy (at least not this early). 2 cleared villagers doesn't help us too much yet, since the day one vote would still be a pretty big shot in the dark anyway. And the big benefit of the Crazy Granny is that she can kill us a wolf if she's targeted for a night kill (something that obviously won't happen if she's revealed).

Now, obviously, if the CG is getting close to being lynched by us, she should reveal herself, but I don't want her to be out in the open so soon.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #106
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Are allegiances revealed on lynch?

Boy, I hope so. Otherwise this is gonna be hella hard.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

checking in. Yeah this is crazy. (but not as crazy as granny)
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #108
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rats, I missed the cutoff date.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #109
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Rats, I missed the cutoff date.

Poli!
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #110
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think we are all kinda of waiting to see how today goes and no one wants to cast the first stone.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #111
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Are allegiances revealed on lynch? If so, we'd know exactly what we were bringing back, wouldn't we?

Course, I might just be rusty and missing something obvious.

In the case of "Whiny Bitch" we aren't bringing them back - they are spared.

Quote:
if you are the target of the night kill on the first night, or the winner of the lynch vote on the first day, you will be

spared, just so no one has to listen to you cry like a little girl for the next 8 or 10 days while the game continues to be played.

My assumption on reading this was "no kill", so I would not have expected to learn faction. If the moderator wants to jump in and clarify on this point, that would be great.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #112
Autumn
Head Coach

I keep forgetting werewolf is back in action! If nobody has a good tactic for first day vote soon I'll just pick someone I guess. We need to start voting at some point!
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Vote Autumn
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #114
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I might vote for the Whiny Bitch just to see the siggy. lol
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #115
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I don't care for this strategy (at least not this early). 2 cleared villagers doesn't help us too much yet, since the day one vote would still be a pretty big shot in the dark anyway. And the big benefit of the Crazy Granny is that she can kill us a wolf if she's targeted for a night kill (something that obviously won't happen if she's revealed).

Now, obviously, if the CG is getting close to being lynched by us, she should reveal herself, but I don't want her to be out in the open so soon.

i dont care for it either, which is why i didnt post it the first time i thought of it.

i think one that is going to keep today going extremely slow is the fear of the "vengeful god" role...two votes for the same person could be your own butt in the sling, so i know i am being extra cautious.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #116
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't think it would be a bad idea for the Granny to reveal since she can't be nightkilled. I could see the allure of trying to catch a wolf with it though. And with all the odd roles I suppose there's the chance the wolves have something they can use to get the Granny killed anyway.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #117
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't think it would be a bad idea for the Granny to reveal since she can't be nightkilled. I could see the allure of trying to catch a wolf with it though. And with all the odd roles I suppose there's the chance the wolves have something they can use to get the Granny killed anyway.

No way. Not unless she's about to be lynched. Too valuable otherwise in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #118
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
No way. Not unless she's about to be lynched. Too valuable otherwise in my opinion.

It would be great for the wolves if Granny revealed now.

Hmmm.......
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #119
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

long as the seer doesn't land on her
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #120
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:

I wouldn't reveal yet though. It would be better for the granny to wait before saying who she is.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #121
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
long as the seer doesn't land on her

I am not reading from the rules that a seer-scan would trigger the Granny's power. I take "target" to mean kill.

Quote:
Crazy Granny: Whenever Crazy Granny is targeted at night, by anyone, she pulls out her shotgun and shoots that person dead.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #122
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I am not reading from the rules that a seer-scan would trigger the Granny's power. I take "target" to mean kill.

I assume "by anyone" means not just the wolves.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #123
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah...i think a seer scan = a target.

mayhaps we can get a reading on that rule...i'll email the GM
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #124
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
I assume "by anyone" means not just the wolves.

Yes, I agree. But I wasn't considering a seer scan as a targeting of the player. I was assuming that "target" referred to a malicious action - like from the vampire, mobster, something like that.

I mean, if the Granny auto-kills the seer or bodyguard just because they chose her to scan or guard, that is a wacky role and one that we would need to deal with immediately.

So yeah, we need a clarification from the GM, IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #125
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I sent an email - will post the reply that I get. Kind of an important distinction for strategical purposes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #126
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, I agree. But I wasn't considering a seer scan as a targeting of the player. I was assuming that "target" referred to a malicious action - like from the vampire, mobster, something like that.

I mean, if the Granny auto-kills the seer or bodyguard just because they chose her to scan or guard, that is a wacky role and one that we would need to deal with immediately.

She's listed under "good" for a role. There's no way a good role should be able to wipe out the seer/bodyguard. I'm going under the assumption that target=actioned on by wolves until otherwise informed.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #127
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
She's listed under "good" for a role. There's no way a good role should be able to wipe out the seer/bodyguard. I'm going under the assumption that target=actioned on by wolves until otherwise informed.

I think she's crazy for a reason, but we can wait and see.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #128
path12
Coordinator

In the meantime, I'll go with my usual day 1 inclination of voting for someone who hasn't checked in yet.

VOTE DARTH VILIUS

Good to meet'cha.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #129
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh, I agree. I think it's a wacky assumption that she'd kill the seer. Which is why I was assuming that the only people she'd benefit by revealing this early is the wolves. And I still think that. But we need to be sure.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

"crazy" makes me think she could quite easily kill the seer
Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #131
Schmidty
Coordinator

Checking in. I'm about to go get lunch, and then pick up the kid, but I'll be around later.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
In the meantime, I'll go with my usual day 1 inclination of voting for someone who hasn't checked in yet.

VOTE DARTH VILIUS

Good to meet'cha.

I'll go along with that. UNvillagers don't help.

VOTE DARTH VILIUS
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #133
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm a little leery of the "vote for the guy that is not here" logic. I completely understand the attractiveness of doing so (they aren't here so won't be offended by vote, they aren't contributing so they are better to cull early) but it also seems like an easy way to create a run.

Every once in awhile I'll stake out a position like this when I feel like a previously logical argument is being exploited. This kind of feels that way to me right now.

VOTE PATH12
Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #134
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

alright already, im checkin in. I forgot it was the 11th already. Feels like december just ended. so the roles look pretty fun in general, it will be interesting to see how this game goes

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Darth Vilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #135
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When I submitted, the role, it was with the intent that any character that guards, kills, sluts, seers, etc her at night gets offed. We'll see if Danny interprets it that way, but that was my intent.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #136
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I mean, after all, that's the balance. She can;t be night killed, and she will even kill a wolf that comes after her, but, you could wind up with a seer or guard dead tomorrow. She's crazy! She shoots anyone who comes near her!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #137
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

right - otherwise she's overpowered for good.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #138
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

honestly, who would give a paranoid old lady a shotgun? I have no clue

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #139
KWhit
Coordinator

I get what you're saying. If that's the interpretation that Danny puts on the role, I think she should reveal immediately.

If not - if "target" means a malicious type action against her - then she should stay quiet.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #140
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

I'm heading out to work in a few so i'm gonn a go ahead and throw in my vote now

VOTE CRIMSONFOX

him and path better watch out. No one who invokes the wrath of the dark lord and lives for long.

―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #141
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm a little leery of the "vote for the guy that is not here" logic. I completely understand the attractiveness of doing so (they aren't here so won't be offended by vote, they aren't contributing so they are better to cull early) but it also seems like an easy way to create a run.

Every once in awhile I'll stake out a position like this when I feel like a previously logical argument is being exploited. This kind of feels that way to me right now.

VOTE PATH12

I see that logic for a second vote, but the first one? I'm not telling anyone who to vote for, rather just sticking with a general philosophy since there is nothing else to go on day 1.

That's a weird post, hoops.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #142
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I'll go along with that. UNvillagers don't help.

VOTE DARTH VILIUS

I guess we know he's not the vengeful god now.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #143
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vilus View Post

him and path better watch out. No one who invokes the wrath of the dark lord and lives for long.

Eh. Never was a Star Wars fan. I'll risk it.

Actually, I'll probably change my vote again later if there is still anyone who hasn't checked in.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #144
hoopsguy
General Manager

Path, it is the "general philosophy" that I think is being used as a way to obscure votes.

If you are a villager, then you must believe what you are saying.
If you are a wolf, then it is a convenient way to hide an early vote.

My vibe on this - one that I'm interested to hear if others share or not, although that would probably be a more honest discussion post-game - is that wolves are casting votes like this earlier in the day all the time rather than getting caught having to "save" candidates late in the day.

I've got no idea if I'm making a good vote here or not based on that one post. But as far as day one votes go, I'm willing to play gut a little bit more than on later days.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #145
hoopsguy
General Manager

The part that I think is weird, however, is that DV did not follow me voting on Path. I know a 2-1 vs 2-2 margin is not that big a deal in the overall scheme of things, but most of the time players move into self-preservation mode with their votes well before they actually need to do so.

That, more than path's response, has me a little weirded out right now.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting hoopycakes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #147
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Vote hoopsguy

I don't get voting for a guy in what he claimed might be his last WW game ever on Day One.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #148
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Path, it is the "general philosophy" that I think is being used as a way to obscure votes.

If you are a villager, then you must believe what you are saying.
If you are a wolf, then it is a convenient way to hide an early vote.

My vibe on this - one that I'm interested to hear if others share or not, although that would probably be a more honest discussion post-game - is that wolves are casting votes like this earlier in the day all the time rather than getting caught having to "save" candidates late in the day.

I've got no idea if I'm making a good vote here or not based on that one post. But as far as day one votes go, I'm willing to play gut a little bit more than on later days.

Now, it's been awhile since I played, and maybe this has become a WW truism that a day 1 vote for someone who hasn't checked in is a wolf maneuver, but for me it's a stance that I've adopted throughout my playing time. I did put it out there earlier than I normally would but there were hardly any votes on the table so figured why not?

I'm not bothered by getting a vote, so don't get me wrong on that. But calling that particular vote out because of a "general philosophy" is what I don't get. Is there some sort of other information I should have day 1 besides a general philosophy?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #149
The Jackal
Coordinator

hey guys my computer broke a couple days ago, getting a new one in 1-3 days and just got setup on a piece of crap old one, so that's why i haven't been around today. about to go out to a dinner party, i'll be on most if not all of the day tomorrow, so let me throw out a vote here, very much random and not at all based on the penguins sucking.

VOTE PB
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #150
RealDeal
High School Varsity

vote hoopsguy

Instead of pretending I have a reason, I fully admit that I am voting for him for no other reason whatsoever.

Highly subject to change.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote