Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Gridiron Solitare

No mention of this yet? Text sim football combined with card play. Sounds like a fun alternative if he can get it to all come together.

Dubious Quality: Gridiron Solitaire!

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I see the blog post this morning, and at midnight last night you are asking "No mantion of this yet?". Seriously, that's like the dude that comes in to ask an FOF question and is ranting 30 minutes later about how no one has answered his question yet.

But to the topic at hand, yes it looks intriguing.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I see the blog post this morning, and at midnight last night you are asking "No mantion of this yet?". Seriously, that's like the dude that comes in to ask an FOF question and is ranting 30 minutes later about how no one has answered his question yet.

But to the topic at hand, yes it looks intriguing.

I know, I know I am a MBBF defender but man the guy can't catch a break. What was so offensive about his original post? It sounded like a guy just making conversation not ranting, but I guess ragging on him is game around here.

Anyways to stay on topic I am interested on how this game will play out.

Last edited by panerd : 04-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Very cool.. can't wait to see more.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Not sure about the game, but I'm always impressed that someone would go from nothing and design a game so, I could see myself purchasing.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I follow the DQ blog, and am very excited to give this game a try.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I follow the DQ blog, and am very excited to give this game a try.

The nice thing will be that I can see this as being a well-supported game with constant tweaking. Bill's a perfectionist.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The nice thing will be that I can see this as being a well-supported game with constant tweaking. Bill's a perfectionist.

Yes he is, which means this will be a quality product right from the get go.

I've been following his blog and this will be a day 1 purchase for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

For those of us who are only following this here, what's the latest?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
cody8200
High School Varsity

He's been doing weekly features on the process. He put up a few screenshots. He just finished implementing the help system. I think he is trying to figure out te best way of getting the game out there. I'm pretty excited about it.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, he's quite the perfectionist and has been really testing and adding things to make it an engrossing game.

He said his bug list is empty, but that he was sure with more testing, he and another guy helping would find more.

Not sure I've seen any kind of release date prediction or how far the game is actually from being completed?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah, he's quite the perfectionist and has been really testing and adding things to make it an engrossing game.

He said his bug list is empty, but that he was sure with more testing, he and another guy helping would find more.

Not sure I've seen any kind of release date prediction or how far the game is actually from being completed?

I think one of his earliest articles (maybe the one that announced it) mentioned that he had no firm timeline because he had never done anything like this before, but that his rough estimate was that he was 3-4 months out at that time.

I'm guessing 'summer'.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think one of his earliest articles (maybe the one that announced it) mentioned that he had no firm timeline because he had never done anything like this before, but that his rough estimate was that he was 3-4 months out at that time.

I'm guessing 'summer'.

Supposed to be getting a beta build of it relatively soon. I'm guessing he'll test for at least a couple of months with that user group.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

I read the blog and think it's quite good, but the game looks simply awful. I hope it plays better than he's described it.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I read the blog and think it's quite good, but the game looks simply awful. I hope it plays better than he's described it.

What looks awful about it? Looks about as interactive as you can get with a card game.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
cody8200
High School Varsity

Agreed. I think the game looks pretty good.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
What looks awful about it? Looks about as interactive as you can get with a card game.

The whole concept, gameplay, screenies, etc. It all just looks and sounds awful. It'll probably play better than I think...probably couldn't play any worse.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Reminds me of fairway solitaire and we still play that game around this house.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Agreed. I think the game looks pretty good.

Agreed this game looks and sounds great.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Supposed to be getting a beta build of it relatively soon. I'm guessing he'll test for at least a couple of months with that user group.

I needed to read more

Looks like a small group beta mid June and then a wider beta in July. So by that, I'm guessing an August release, right in time for football season.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The whole concept, gameplay, screenies, etc. It all just looks and sounds awful. It'll probably play better than I think...probably couldn't play any worse.

It's not any dumber than playing Solitaire and converting it to a golf score, and damned if I didn't play the hell out of Fairway Solitaire.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Game has been Greenlit on Steam.......

Dubious Quality: Gridiron Solitaire #84: Details
Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

So is this a computer game or a board/card game?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So is this a computer game or a board/card game?

Computer game. Football based solitaire game with career play.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #25
Grim.Reaper
n00b

Looks like this might be available soon based on comments from the developer's blog (posted 1/7) below...no idea on how long takes to make available after steam gets it.

"I'm getting up early in the morning, putting in about two and a half hours of final testing, then submitting to Steam."
Grim.Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #26
frnk55
High School Varsity

Good deal. I look forward to this game.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Good deal. I look forward to this game.

I hope a bunch of people buy it.. I played early betas and it was fun. He's done a TON more work on it since I last played it and I know what a perfectionist he is.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
Grim.Reaper
n00b

Likely will pick it up day one, as long as it doesn't break the bank
Grim.Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #29
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Yep....have been waiting on this one for a while.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This one will depend on price for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
cody8200
High School Varsity

Hey gang - this game is now for sale on Steam! Congrats to Bill for making this happen -

Gridiron Solitaire on Steam
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big congrats to Bill. I helped in the beta test for a couple months. It's a great game and the career mode is pretty refined at this point. It's not always an easy game, but it's a lot of fun.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
This one will depend on price for me.

$9.99!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #34
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
$9.99!

That was my ceiling, so I'm in!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #35
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Looks pretty cool. I know Bill from way back. His attention to detail should make this a lot of fun. I hope it's a big success.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #36
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Looks pretty cool. I know Bill from way back. His attention to detail should make this a lot of fun. I hope it's a big success.

I still think you should give Greenlight a shot. If OOTP and Gridiron Solitaire can get on the service, maybe the Steam userbase will support FOF after all.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
$9.99!

Knowing how good the game is, I'd say it's worth double that price. At $10, it's a no brainer.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #38
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played a few games last night and really enjoyed myself. This game is definitely better than I anticipated. Not that I was expecting a bad game, but it just feels a notch or two above my expectations. Which is awesome!

One question for anyone more familiar with the game: is there a way to save during a game aside from at half-time?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #39
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
One question for anyone more familiar with the game: is there a way to save during a game aside from at half-time?

Nope. Halftime only.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #40
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nope. Halftime only.

That's too bad, it would be nice to be able to close the game part way if necessary. Oh well, certainly not the end of the world.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
That's too bad, it would be nice to be able to close the game part way if necessary. Oh well, certainly not the end of the world.

He actually added the halftime save during testing. When we were originally doing testing, there was no option to save mid-game at all.

I know he's still planning on tinkering with the game some as we go along, so it may be something he explores. This is his first ever experience programming a game. He's really developed his skills quite a bit over the course of creating the game. Lots of good advice from his readers/testers.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

How does the card game/soltaire part actually work? Is it a standard solitair game? Tri-peaks of some other variation of that?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
How does the card game/soltaire part actually work? Is it a standard solitair game? Tri-peaks of some other variation of that?

It's a simple match. You have a certain amount of cards laid out and you can match sequential red/black cards (i.e. if there's a red 1 and a black 2, you can click them both and remove them from the board). The card portion is relatively simple. The strategy/luck part involves two additional items: selecting run/pass or defend run/defend pass and also there's a 'big play' button that creates random events like turnovers or big plays. You can only use them so many times, so you have to use them judiciously.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #44
PilotMan
Head Coach

The videos don't go very far toward getting a feel for the game either. Safe to say it's not going to be the worst $10 bucks you've ever spent, but it's much more fun than it looks. I have only started, but it has some fun immersion built into it and it's light. Something that you can pick up and play for a bit then come back to later. Also, I'm also finding that I put it down ,then spend the next 10 minutes thinking about what's going to happen next. Sooo.......

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The videos don't go very far toward getting a feel for the game either. Safe to say it's not going to be the worst $10 bucks you've ever spent, but it's much more fun than it looks. I have only started, but it has some fun immersion built into it and it's light. Something that you can pick up and play for a bit then come back to later. Also, I'm also finding that I put it down ,then spend the next 10 minutes thinking about what's going to happen next. Sooo.......

Definitely a 'one more play, one more game' feel to it. It's so ridiculously simple, but the random features really allow it to be far from predictable.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to buy it as I beta tested it early on as well and I want to support Bill. I just got kind of bored of the game play, but it could just be me and card games.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #47
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've already had a play where I was able to stuff a 50yd gain as well as just after giving up a TD I got the ball back with about :30 before the half and proceeded to break an 80yd TD run on the only play from scrimmage to close out a 21pt 2nd quarter.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #48
Galaril
Pro Starter

I been waiting for this for awhile. Played two game so far first one I came from behind to win 24-20 late. Second game was up 10-6 with 2 minutes and the opponent had the ball at their own 20 with just 1:47 left. They got to my 40 yard line with 30 seconds and they called a draw with me in pass defense and scorched me for a 40 TD to win 13-10...great fun game.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-22-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I should mention that I generally play on the medium difficulty level starting with a relatively poor team. Feel like it's a good, fair challenge. The top level can be beastly and I find the rookie level a bit too easy.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #50
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Do you know how the different difficulty levels and team skill levels are implemented? Is it just that you have a lower chance of Big Plays working? Or does it impact the cards that come off the deck when you are matching? I'd really like to feel like that deck of cards is not 'stacked against me' in any way, but basically mimics a true shuffled stack of cards. However it seems like this would make any real amount of team and difficulty variability quite difficult so I suspect there is some kind of manipulation of the card deck going on.