Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Home Warranties and AC repair

I know most of them are shady and their whole point of existence is to not pay out. But here is my issues right now

Back in June, my AC went out. Not truly out as it was still running, but pumping in warm air and steadily making my house hotter. I called the home warranty and they sent someone out in a few days. Of course, the AC decides to work on that day, and the repair guy says it's working, nothing can be done. They never actually did anything and he noted my AC unit was commercial so it wouldnt be covered. Of course, it goes out the next day and I call and they said they won't be sending anyone out as it's commercial unit on a residential building. The AC guy also gave me the spiel of I see it's old, you are probably going to get a new one yada yada yada. I decided to investigate and contact the manufacturer who tells me it is in fact a residential unit. Of course, my AC proceeds to work for the next month and a half or so until last Tuesday. During this time my wife went from a 9 month pregnant lady to a lady with a 3 week old baby in 100 degree heat outside and a house that is about 85 without working AC. I call on Tuesday and the company they assign tells me they can't come until the following Monday. No good so I call again and they find someone who can come sooner. Well, sooner meant calling me on Thursday for a Saturday visit. During this time, the AC doesnt work during each day. Saturday comes and nobody shows up. Call the home warranty company, they call the AC company and nothing. I call and nothing. Monday comes and the AC company apologizes, their tech didnt make it to me on Saturday, but they'll send someone today. At this point, what can I do? So I wait and during my 2-4 window, they call at 315 and tell me they'll be there late, like at 430. I say fine, what can I do? Meanwhile I'm sitting in 84 degree heat in the house, waiting around for the AC people. At 530, they call me and say one tech is going to the ER, he sliced his hand while the other van broke down. They'll call me Tuesday and see what they can do. Sorry for this. Not much I can do either way. On Tuesday, I call and they say they can't do anything until Wednesday and even then they can't promise me anything. So I call the home warranty company and they apologize and see if they can get someone same day. They surprisingly are able to do it. So we wait during the 12-4 window with a broken AC and the tech shows up around 130. Great, he sees the AC is broken inside and goes on the roof. It's clear he's lost as my unit is nearly 30 years old. He plays around with it, I see him looking at all the panels and he's testing the electrical when he triggers something. He comes down and says it's working now, but he didn't do anything. He says he'll write up his report saying it's working intermittently and that they'll need to be back. I'm obviously skeptical about anything anyone tells me, but I bid him adieu. The AC works when it's less than 90 or when it's hotter, if it's overcast and the sun isn't shining. The AC didnt work yesterday until the evening, which is when it sometimes works. Well I didnt hear anything yesterday but that's fine. Today we weren't home during the day, but it was more humid than sun scotching hot. I finally called them this evening and asked about the status. They said the AC report was that it was working fine and that it was a commercial unit. They can't do anything if this is the report. They also tell me since it's commercial, they wont cover any claim. That part I'm not worried about since I have proof, but I'm pretty incenses that the AC guy would straight out lie. I mean, I know it works part of the time. My struggle is getting an AC repair guy out when it's not working so he can figure out why it doesn't work.

Any idea on what I can do? Besides the obvious answer of saying screw the home warranty and just pay out of pocket for a new AC. I'm also tempted to get a voice recorder to tape the next guy saying some nonsense to me. I've written a more accurate account down for any possible BBB or small claims, but I don't think I've gotten far enough with the home warranty company to really be able to do anything at that step.

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
cougarfreak
College Starter

Every time I've put a complaint on the BBB website (twice), I've gotten almost an immediate response/fix from the company. I wouldn't hesitate. In my mind, this is a service you've ALREADY paid for. I don't care if they have to hire more techs, or subcontract it out. I assume you have a contract with your home warranty?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Well if its 30 years old, its past its engineered life span and needs to be replaced, heck the power bill savings alone would pay for it within 2 years even if you pay out of pocket.

That said you shouldn't have to pay out of pocket you already have a home warranty.

Replacement wise you are at the mercy of the home warranty company.

You know all this, however.

The only thing I can offer that resembles advice is this. Figure out the local company that has already been out. Call and ask for a salesperson, or better yet a sales manager. If they are worth shooting they have someone who fills that role. Next explain to them what you've been through and that you want the 30 year old unit replaced. Tell him that if he can help facilitate that happening through the home warranty folks, you will compensate him for his assistance.

The HW company isnt sending a check up tech out. If it was wrote up as "dead short within the main compressor motor windings"..a new unit will be installed.

Heck Ive got a couple dozen HVAC company owners in my network, where are you and which home warranty company? Ill make a call and see if any are in your neck of the woods and work with your home warranty company
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

U gotta toughen up that kid Bug.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm in Whittier, Ca and the company is Old Republic.

My issue is that it works some of the time, not all of the time. Like today, as it's in the 80's, the AC is working. The two companies that have been out have been pretty suspect and I'm not sure they have a "sales person", just the techs that come out.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 08-07-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Has anyone checked the coolant in the coils? I had the same problem at my old house when our coil began to rust out (and leak).

The other thing, it could also be a clogged filter, but you normally don't have a magic temp where it doesn't keep up.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I'm in Whittier, Ca and the company is Old Republic.

My issue is that it works some of the time, not all of the time. Like today, as it's in the 80's, the AC is working. The two companies that have been out have been pretty suspect and I'm not sure they have a "sales person", just the techs that come out.

That does sound like a tired system. It can probably only cool about 10 degrees off of the ambient outdoor temperature. If there isn't a freon leak anywhere, and the freon level is ok, your system just likely can't cool down like it should if it is that old.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Both guys who have showed up havent actually checked anything. One guy showed up when it was working and was like "Nothing to do" and left. The other guy, who came on Tuesday, looked into the unit but I could tell he didnt know what he was really doing. He complained that it's difficult to do anything because the wires aren't color coordinated, just all black. The fact that both techs said it was a commercial unit, when it's not, also doesnt wow me in confidence, though it does look big.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

If your unit is really nearly 30 years old, no one can legally put the old-style coolant your unit needs into it any more --or even find it available. Also, most units should last around 15 years, tops. My house was built in 1986 and one unit lasted 17 years, the other 15 and I was lucky.

I'm on my second downstairs unit and third upstairs. The third went in two months ago, and is a dramatic improvement over the old one.

All-in-all, you've been lucky and its time to modernize.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 08-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah I'd recommend going with a new unit too. The electrical savings from it will pay for itself in a couple years anyway. Plus it seems like removing the headache of dealing with this warranty is worth the extra short term hit.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:28 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

So the A/C was out today. I called the home warranty and they sent the request into the last guy. I called them and he said he remembered my unit and told me (paraphrasing) "Frankly, I can't really fix it, it's beyond me working on it, they'll need to send someone else out. And I know you said it's not a commercial, but it really, basically, it's a home version of a commercial air. It's nothing personal." So the home warranty company calls me back and says they can't do anything, it's commercial. I say I have the manufacturer stating it's residential, can I send that it? They say sure, but they'd get back to me tomorrow because the authorization part is closed for the day. *sigh* I did set up for another A/C guy to come out tomorrow, independent and out of pocket, to see what he says because I believe these contracted companies don't want to tell the home warranty companies that it just needs to be replaced because too many of those and the contract is gone.

At least with this last bit of info, I hopefully can submit a BBB claim stating my experience. They do seem to respond to those comments fairly quickly.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Reading this gives me flashbacks. When we bought our home in Florida a few years ago, the sellers included a one year warranty when they sold it to us.

The only thing I learned in that year is that either a) the one object you need to have fixed is either not covered or b) it's covered but the warranty company will bend over backwards not to do so.

Based on my experience, I would never, ever purchase a home warranty.

Hope you have better luck getting your AC fixed - it can quickly become miserable without one.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Home Warranties are such a sham. It's like they aren't expensive so no one thinks about it, but when you end up having a problem they rarely cover it.

We had an issue with our refrigerator and come to find out the warranty doesn't cover it.... WTF? Why wouldn't all the appliances be included in the warranty? And now that they know there is an issue with it if I wanted to upgrade our insurance it wouldn't be covered unless we prove we have it fixed on our dime and it will be covered after that...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Home Warranties are such a sham. It's like they aren't expensive so no one thinks about it, but when you end up having a problem they rarely cover it.

We had an issue with our refrigerator and come to find out the warranty doesn't cover it.... WTF? Why wouldn't all the appliances be included in the warranty? And now that they know there is an issue with it if I wanted to upgrade our insurance it wouldn't be covered unless we prove we have it fixed on our dime and it will be covered after that...
I'm curious who your provider is. My company works with a lot of these companies so I generally know who is good and who isn't. My experience with my home warranty has been completely the opposite. It's paid for itself every year.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
I'm curious who your provider is. My company works with a lot of these companies so I generally know who is good and who isn't. My experience with my home warranty has been completely the opposite. It's paid for itself every year.

First American.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
bob
College Starter

I was always under the understanding that home warranties only pay a percentage of repairs based on the lifespan of the item in question. I suppose it depends on the policy, but largely if you have a 10 year old unit that is supposed to last 15 years that has to be replaced, don't they only cover 1/3 of the cost?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
First American.

My horrible experience was through another company. Will have to find the name somewhere as they still send me offers to reinstate.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 PM   #18
MrBug708
Head Coach

So an update. Two weeks ago, I paid for my own AC person to come out. They checked out the unit and saw power wasnt getting to the unit. At first it was a bad contactor, but she came down and took off the thermostat. Putting the wires together would start the unit, so she replaced the thermostat. AC worked. It worked for two days until sunday, when it went out again. Called the HW company and they asked for proof from the manufacturer that my unit was not commercial. So I sent in proof from them and they approved the 5th company they've tried working with, wioth me. Two of them never made it out. This company was going to come out last Tuesday, but it was about 75 degrees, so I delayed it until Friday, hoping it would get hotter, which it did. They came out and tried a few things, until they accidently dropped the cover and it turned on. He determined that it was the old electric box that cuts off power in rolling blackouts. He cut the power to that box and the AC worked. Next day? AC didn't work, no matter the temp. Called back on Sunday to get them back out. On Monday, I called to get my time for them to come back and the office manager for the AC company told me that it's not worth fixing and they were recommending it to be replaced. I was naturally skeptical but an hour or so later, the home warranty company called and said they approved the new AC unit!! It is going to cost me about 1200 dollars for certain items like the crane (roof unit), the permit, and something else. Not a terrible deal at this point because the two estimates I received were about 7200, so I didnt come out too badly in it all, other than the usual aggravation with the HW company.

This last company came out was a little bigger than the other two AC companies. The first two, the guy who came out was the owner of each company and I think they had no desire to tell the HW company that I needed a new AC. The last guy who came out looked sketchy as all heck, but he was just a tech. I dont think he had any sort of financial stake in what happened with my AC.