Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #201
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Good choices to go home. I thought Simon's shot at Colton was unnecessarily harsh, and made the show look bad for putting him in the top 24 to begin with. How can they go through hundreds of auditions, pick a guy, and then have Simon say that he shouldn't keep trying to sing because he has no chance at a career? Then again, my guess is that this was Simon's way of saying "I was right and you were wrong" to Paula and Randy for choosing Colton over that geeky Kyle guy. But I kinda felt bad for Colton that Simon made that kind of comment to him, instead of making a comment about the other two choosing the wrong person. At least it wouldn't have been so direct and harsh. But hey, that's Simon.

Simon's just sick of this. He has not been himself this season at all.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #202
rowech
Pro Starter

Simon does seem annoyed with the whole show. He likes about six of them I think, can't stand Paula (I know I can't either), and is just putting in his time I think.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #203
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Simon does seem annoyed with the whole show. He likes about six of them I think, can't stand Paula (I know I can't either), and is just putting in his time I think.

He seems mostly annoyed at Paula. He seems to be really pressing her this year to say what she thinks instead of her stupid ass non-commital comments that she throws out.

Although, when Paula says how nice you look that means you really left a turd on the stage.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #204
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Actually, what he's been doing to Paula is busting her for not making sense. He hasn't been downright mean about it, but every time she makes a nonsensical statement, he says he doesn't understand what she means. It goes beyond making fun of her for being nice or non-committal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #205
wade moore
lolzcat

What color was that performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #206
rowech
Pro Starter

I agree...Paula and Simon legitimately don't get along. Show would be much better with just Simon and Randy although I don't think Randy's offering that much this year either.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #207
Drake
assmaster

I think they should replace Paula with Jewel. I really enjoyed Jewel's stint last year.

(hubba hubba)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #208
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm done with this show if we don't get Akon shitting on the stage this year.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #209
Ksyrup

Speaking of Paula, I knew there was something she said last night that made absolutely no sense and had me laughing, but I couldn't remember it. Until I saw this recap:

"Amy steps up to the stage. Paula, making no sense at this point, tells Amy, “This is the most amazing platform for you, because now you have millions of people, and it’s your chance now to do whatever you want to do. You got to go paint that door, and that knob, and go for it.” WTF? Did Paula just suggest Amy give BJs? Paula is wack, and it’s awesome!"

Lol! That was the line I couldn't remember.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-22-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #210
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yikes.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Speaking of Paula, I knew there was something she said last night that made absolutely no sense and had me laughing, but I couldn't remember it. Until I saw this recap:

"Amy steps up to the stage. Paula, making no sense at this point, tells Amy, “This is the most amazing platform for you, because now you have millions of people, and it’s your chance now to do whatever you want to do. You got to go paint that door, and that knob, and go for it.” WTF? Did Paula just suggest Amy give BJs? Paula is wack, and it’s awesome!"

Lol! That was the line I couldn't remember.

ROFL. I didn't have that interpertation of it until now.

Anyway, I agree with you that Simon has been on Paula more than ever about her wierd phrases, but I disagree with him disliking her. I think that is mostly their act and that he genuinely likes her.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #212
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
that's right

I still may delete this mutha.

Then delete it and stop being a pussy looking for attention by whining, complaining and threatening.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #213
Ksyrup

David Lee Roth on American Idol!

(Clever use of the Runnin' with the Devil vocal track that recently made its way around the net)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #214
Buccaneer
Head Coach

He's 64?? Wow.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #215
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

is this thread still here
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM   #216
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
He's 64?? Wow.

Wiki says 53, fwiw.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #217
Ksyrup

I don't consider this a spoiler, so...

This week's theme is 70's; next week's is 80s. Guys performed yesterday and girls today, so there are some guy performance spoilers out there.

I've also read that they really do narrow their song choices down to "about 50" which I read last week somewhere else but didn't want to believe. But after a couple of duplicates last week and reading that same song limit elsewhere, it might be true. Man, that sucks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-26-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #218
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't consider this a spoiler, so...

This week's theme is 70's; next week's is 80s. Guys performed yesterday and girls today, so there are some guy performance spoilers out there.

I've also read that they really do narrow their song choices down to "about 50" which I read last week somewhere else but didn't want to believe. But after a couple of duplicates last week and reading that same song limit elsewhere, it might be true. Man, that sucks.

A) That sucks
B) That makes it pretty lame how critical they are of song choice. That means if they don't want dupes the were 27 songs to choose from for last week.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #219
Ksyrup

It's even worse. I knew how Great American Band did song choices and wondered, since they're from the same production company, whether that translated to AI. And it does - each contestant chooses 3 songs they want to perform, and the show chooses one for them. And guess what happened to Garrett?

"We are allowed to choose three songs from a list," he tells reporters. "Every contestant is for sure to get one of the songs; I didn't get any of my songs, because they had given them out to all the contestants before that, so I just ended up with having to choose from the list again. I didn't get to chose. They threw the song at me and said, 'Sing this one.' I took what I got and I did what I could with it. It is hard to make a ballad song pop out at the beginning. I did the best I could and I am happy with what I did."

I suppose he'd risk being thrown off the show if he did this, but wouldn't it be awesome if, after getting lambasted for song choice, one of these contestants went off on the song selection process and bitched about being forced to choose a crappy song? I guarantee what happened to Jason Yeager is that he opened his big yapper about Moon River and his Grandma, and they forced him to sing that song because of the backstory.

Oh, and not that this has anything to do with the show or there's anything wrong with it, but pics have surfaced of David Hernandez as a dancer at a gay nightclub called Burn.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #220
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It's even worse. I knew how Great American Band did song choices and wondered, since they're from the same production company, whether that translated to AI. And it does - each contestant chooses 3 songs they want to perform, and the show chooses one for them. And guess what happened to Garrett?

"We are allowed to choose three songs from a list," he tells reporters. "Every contestant is for sure to get one of the songs; I didn't get any of my songs, because they had given them out to all the contestants before that, so I just ended up with having to choose from the list again. I didn't get to chose. They threw the song at me and said, 'Sing this one.' I took what I got and I did what I could with it. It is hard to make a ballad song pop out at the beginning. I did the best I could and I am happy with what I did."

I suppose he'd risk being thrown off the show if he did this, but wouldn't it be awesome if, after getting lambasted for song choice, one of these contestants went off on the song selection process and bitched about being forced to choose a crappy song? I guarantee what happened to Jason Yeager is that he opened his big yapper about Moon River and his Grandma, and they forced him to sing that song because of the backstory.

Oh, and not that this has anything to do with the show or there's anything wrong with it, but pics have surfaced of David Hernandez as a dancer at a gay nightclub called Burn.

This is no way directed at you KSyrup - I hate finding this stuff out about Idol. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Don't get me wrong. Keep posting them and I'll keep reading them, but I guess it's more that I hate that this is what it is really about. Just - meh.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #221
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

It's not surprising at all, though.,

The one thing I could say in defense is that the band has to be able to play the songs in a week's time as well. And they have to learn all 24 songs. (not that that is really a great justification)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #222
Joe
Pro Starter

Was this posted yet? iTunes accidentally left the popularity of American Idol downloads available, which they said they wouldn't. I'll spoilerize the list.

Spoiler

http://www.votefortheworst.com/20080...opularity_slip
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #223
adubroff
High School JV

One could make the arguement that if you can't find three songs on a list of 50 that you can sing well you probably aren't the best singer in the pack, or certainly aren't the best contestant. You wonder if there's strategy in the lists, if an obvious front runner would pick a popular song off a list so that they could try to block it from the other contestants, even in place of songs they might do better.

The other thing I wonder, and this piece doesn't really make it clear, is when the choosing happens. I could swear that I've hear idol contestants throughout the years talk about working on more than one song...so maybe the choosing is late in the process. I know for certain that in celeb weeks they sometimes go show the celeb a couple different songs.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #224
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Luke Menard was a LOT better this week! Simon obviously didn't want him in the top 24 though.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #225
MJ4H
Coordinator

Um, winner???

Good grief that was solid.

David Archuleta (sp??) I mean.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #226
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

OK. I have no idea why they love David Archuletta. He did a bigger injustice to Imagine than Buccaneer.

I did not know you could make that song so bland and uninspiring.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #227
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
Um, winner???

Good grief that was solid.

David Archuleta (sp??) I mean.

I don't care how "good" his vocal was, I think he murdered that song.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #228
MJ4H
Coordinator

Um, what??? He absolutely owned that. That was one of the best performances ever on the show. Easily.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #229
adubroff
High School JV

I don't know where they hid the guys from last week but hopefully they don't come back...This week was much stronger across the board. I think Archuleta's performance will get the pub and rightfully so but I believe he's got some legit competitors. I was very glad to see Chikeze bounce back he's one of my favorites.

My rankings:
DavidA - on paper I thought this song was going to be too big for him but I really liked what he did with the tempo and he showed off his voice bigtime
David Hernandez - Halfway home, best of night so far
Chikeze - I know your name, it's chikeze!. showed off his voice, went from ruben studdard light to ruben ultra.
michael good leadoff batter, rickey henderson? maybe not. He was rock raines tho
jCook - much better than allright, now or anytime.
JasonC solid performance, no big moments
jYaeger - fair to middlin in my book.
DNoriega - slow start, decent build and finish. CREEPY
RCarrico - good fit song wise. Too bad he sucks.
JMenard tackling freddy mercury is tricky, I think he sounded like he was trying to do an impression
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #230
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
OK. I have no idea why they love David Archuletta. He did a bigger injustice to Imagine than Buccaneer.

I did not know you could make that song so bland and uninspiring.

I guess we are cut from the same cloth.

I know/knew no one would agree, but I agree.

Technically an incredible performance.. but I felt like he didn't "get" the song and it showed in how he performed it.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #231
Thomkal
Head Coach

A better night overall, but I'm not seeing the "best talent in AI history", at least not yet. Unlike last week, when I thought several could go home, I think its pretty predictable this week. Luke Menard and Jason Yeager improved over last week, but bad song choice on Luke's part, and poor performance on Jason's part likely doomed them. I would put Jason Castro a step above, but not a big one, and then Robbie Carrico as the other potential two in trouble.

I liked David Archuleta the most and I find the love/hate for him on this board very interesting. Michael Johns would have been fifth for me tonight, which is a disappointment given what I've seen of him so far.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #232
wade moore
lolzcat

David Archuletta has an amazing voice, amazing control, polished, etc.

That being said - I want to punch him in the face.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #233
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
David Archuletta has an amazing voice, amazing control, polished, etc.

That being said - I want to punch him in the face.

I get not liking him, and I can't stand Daniel as well, BUT they do have very good voices. David's performance tonight was outstanding. My wife is a huge John Lennon fan, and when I realized what the song was I figured she'd get angry. She doesn't usually like hearing anyone "messing" with Lennon. By the time the song was done, she had goose-bumps and tears in her eyes. It was amazing. It has been a long time since I immediately wanted to see a performance again on AI, but I immediately replayed that one. Incredible.

We all know how this goes. Some people shine early and fade out, so it is hard to be strong on a prediction this soon...yet, I have a feeling David will be performing that at the finale.

As for the rest of the night...meh. There is just not a lot to like in these guys outside of David. Daniel has the second-best potential voice, Chicky dude did better, David Cook is ok but boring, Dread-lock dude is good but lacks vocal-depth.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-26-2008 at 09:38 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #234
wade moore
lolzcat

In all seriousness I feel like David could run into the problem that Melinda ran into last year - if he just keeps being so good consistently will expectations be skewed and he won't be able to keep up the momentum?

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #235
GrantDawg

Quote:
In all seriousness I feel like David could run into the problem that Melinda ran into last year - if he just keeps being so good consistently will expectations be skewed and he won't be able to keep up the momentum?

No. He lacks her biggest weakness. He doesn't look like a troll-doll. The teen girls are going to stay in love with him. Even if he doesn't win this, he has the potential to mint money Miley Cyrus style if they "Disney" him up.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #236
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

No he won't run into the problems Melinda ran into because he isn't as unattractive as Melinda was.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #237
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No. He lacks her biggest weakness. He doesn't look like a troll-doll. The teen girls are going to stay in love with him. Even if he doesn't win this, he has the potential to mint money Miley Cyrus style if they "Disney" him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
No he won't run into the problems Melinda ran into because he isn't as unattractive as Melinda was.

Good points.

Either way I'm sure he has a successful career - and at this point doesn't that matter more than AI victory?

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #238
GrantDawg

Quote:
Good points.

Either way I'm sure he has a successful career - and at this point doesn't that matter more than AI victory?

Yes. I think none of them would say it, but I think any one of the contestants would trade a successful selling run over winning the show. Winning doesn't equal success at all.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-26-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #239
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yes. I think none of them would say it, but I think any one of the contestants would trade a successful selling run over winning the show. Winning doesn't equal success at all.
Exactly. Wouldn't Taylor Hicks rather be Chris Daughtry right now?

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #240
Ksyrup

Guys, you want to know why some of you were turned off by Archuleta's performance. It's because he's been doing it so long, it's like he's working in Vegas at this point:

Same arrangement, lower octave.

I was very impressed with Chikeze tonight, and I thought the best part about David Cook's performance was how bad it made Robbie Carrico look. The judges couldn't explain it to Carico after he was done, but David Cook said with his performance what couldn't be put into words - you are not a rock singer, dude. not that Cook was awesome or anything, but the difference in their voices and attitudes was so obvious it was embarrassing to RC.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-26-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #241
Jim G.
Grizzled Veteran

Tonight's column...

http://www.solecismic.com/frontierblog/?p=236

Overall, it was a better night than last week, and the boys are definitely dividing into the cans and the can nots. The only question is whether the voters will pop the Noriega/Castro dictatorship of pretentious mediocrity in time.
Jim G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #242
Ksyrup

Didn't Castro come off as socially awkward/geeky in his piece? That was all kinds of strange to watch. I wasn't expecting that from Jack Johnson Lite. I was really shocked at how bad Noreiga's vocals were tonight. Within 10 seconds I yelled out "Sanjaya, welcome back!"
Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #243
Ksyrup

Jim, totally agree about Cook's comment at the end. Completely ruined the momentum and good feelings he had coming off the performance.

I thought Michael Johns was not good, mainly because he insisted giving Lindsay Buckingham the Eddie Vedder treatment. I'll admit I don't like EV imitations to begin with, but the toneless vibrato really pulled his vocal off key throughout the song.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-26-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #244
korme
Go Reds

David Archuleta is more overrated than bottled water
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #245
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Didn't Castro come off as socially awkward/geeky in his piece? That was all kinds of strange to watch. I wasn't expecting that from Jack Johnson Lite. I was really shocked at how bad Noreiga's vocals were tonight. Within 10 seconds I yelled out "Sanjaya, welcome back!"

You could see that from Day 1 Castro's been on camera that he is just incredibly shy and doesn't like all the attention. I think that's really going to get votes for him though, talking to my mom tonight she mentioned about Jason "he's so cute". You know, awkward-cute I guess.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #246
wade moore
lolzcat

Yay - Jim agrees with me on Archuletta! ... And I'm totally agree with his top 3, in that order.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #247
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jim, totally agree about Cook's comment at the end. Completely ruined the momentum and good feelings he had coming off the performance.

I thought Michael Johns was not good, mainly because he insisted giving Lindsay Buckingham the Eddie Vedder treatment. I'll admit I don't like EV imitations to begin with, but the toneless vibrato really pulled his vocal off key throughout the song.

Agreed on David Cook. I was yelling at the screen when he started to talk to Simon, "No! Don't do it! Shut up!"

Michael Johns was so early I forgot how much I disliked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
David Archuleta is more overrated than bottled water

Thank you!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 PM   #248
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yay - Jim agrees with me on Archuletta! ... And I'm totally agree with his top 3, in that order.

The National Anthem comparison is spot on.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #249
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Archuleta, Cook and Hernandez were the best, Chikezie made the biggest climb back and Yeager is borderline rediculous. Michael Johns set himself up to have a monster show next week if he's smart. He's back in the middle of the pack on expectations by tonight, but he should do very well with any of a handful 80s songs.

Menard is getting hammered, but I liked him a lot more than Carrico, Castro and Yeager. At a minimum, he offers a different sound and took on a very difficult song. It's interesting that the judges constantly criticize people for being "safe", yet they were real nitpiky on Luke's performance. IMO, doing a decent job on a diffcult song is much more impressive than karoke-singing the Doobies or Foreigner somewhat in key. It's like losing in hoops to North Carolina by 3 points compared to beating Canisius by 7. I can't see how the latter is more impressive than the former. I think this might be the easiest week yet for the boys as Yeager and Carrico were miles behind the other guys.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #250
Ksyrup

Tonight's spoilers!

Spoiler