Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #7101
revrew
Team Chaplain

Jumanji 2 - 5/10

If this was the first movie in the series, it would have scored higher. Cast is likeable, plenty of laugh lines, reasonably entertaining.

But the fact is, it isn't the first movie in the series, and with all the novelty worn off and virtually nothing new added in the second movie, it just isn't as charming. It feels like a retread sequel, rather than a "upping the ante" sequel. And (almost) all the new content and the twists were revealed in the trailers, so ...

I left the theater disappointed. Not that I didn't laugh, but that I would have rather just watched the first movie again, rather than sitting through the second.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #7102
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Jumanji 2 - 5/10

If this was the first movie in the series, it would have scored higher. Cast is likeable, plenty of laugh lines, reasonably entertaining.

But the fact is, it isn't the first movie in the series, and with all the novelty worn off and virtually nothing new added in the second movie, it just isn't as charming. It feels like a retread sequel, rather than a "upping the ante" sequel. And (almost) all the new content and the twists were revealed in the trailers, so ...

I left the theater disappointed. Not that I didn't laugh, but that I would have rather just watched the first movie again, rather than sitting through the second.

I prefer Zathura: A Space Adventure.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #7103
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Jumanji 2 - 5/10

I agree with all you said but still loved it. I enjoy the world they created and have no problem spending more time there. Totally agree about the trailers. I would give it an 8. Anything with Karen Gillian in that outfit gets an auto 7.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #7104
chinaski
College Prospect

Ford vs Ferrari: 9/10. Pretty formulaic sports movie, but I enjoyed every minute. Totally unexpected treat.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #7105
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Irishman - 4/10

I was really looking forward to watching this movie. My wife said she wanted to watched it with me so I wanted until we both had the time to watch it.

I think it would have been a better movie if it was shorter. I am a big fan of long movies like this if the movie a good movie. This thing draaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeed at times. The last 30-45 minutes you're just kind of like get this shit over with already.

The subject matter was good. The execution wasn't.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #7106
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Ford vs Ferrari: 9/10. Pretty formulaic sports movie, but I enjoyed every minute. Totally unexpected treat.

Excellent, succinct review. It was one of my surprise favorites of the year.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #7107
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Irishman - 4/10

I was really looking forward to watching this movie. My wife said she wanted to watched it with me so I wanted until we both had the time to watch it.

I think it would have been a better movie if it was shorter. I am a big fan of long movies like this if the movie a good movie. This thing draaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeed at times. The last 30-45 minutes you're just kind of like get this shit over with already.

Totally agree on this one. Good actors but oh my this was too long and boring.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #7108
RendeR
Coordinator

Maleficent Mistress of Evil 8.5/10

I've thoroughly enjoyed both incarnations of Angelina Joli as maleficent. Its a visually stunning, story driven 2 hours of entertainment.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #7109
JPhillips
General Manager

My Name is Dolemite 7.5/10

Fun film on foul-mouthed comic Rudy Ray Moore. Eddie Murphy is good and it's easily the most interesting performance I've seen from Wesley Snipes.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #7110
korme
Go Reds

MIKE WALLACE IS HERE is a pretty good documentary about the legendary anchor available now on HULU. 8/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #7111
Edward64
Head Coach

Rambo Last Blood - 6/10

It was an okay movie. I didn't expect character development or great story line but I thought the last Rambo should have deserved a better conclusion. Mexico cartel doesn't seem to rise to the level vs something like AQ/ISIL or NK.

(FWIW, the big miss was after Rambo rescued the girl, he should have driven her straight to a hospital)

Goodbye Rambo, you've become arguably a top-10 movie character recognized throughout the world and an entry in the Cambridge English dictionary. Thought Rambo III was the peak and wish they didn't wait 20 years for the next one. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-17-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #7112
Atocep
Coordinator

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - 8/10

Good movie, Pitt and DiCarpio are predictably amazing. It's less Tarantino than other Tarantino films. I knew very little going in, but I found it a nice mix of fact and fiction and something I never would have guessed Tarantino made.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:18 AM   #7113
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Irishman - 4/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Totally agree on this one. Good actors but oh my this was too long and boring.

YES!!! OMG, thank goodness I'm not alone, I truly disliked it. It's one of those movies that, I feel, I "should" like, but didn't. It was so slow, I actually took a nap. The only thing that made it worthwhile was Al Pacino.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 01-19-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #7114
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Parasite - 9.5/10

This movie was so perfectly written and edited that I"m glad it was nominated for 6 Oscars. I keep telling my friends to watch it, but no one listens. It's one of those movies that if you give away too much, it'll ruin it. Just dive in and watch it. The best way to describe it is, it's a movie about class. Definitely one of the top 5 movies of 2019. If you haven't watched it, do so, so you can see why it was nominated for best picture. It's deserving of several awards.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #7115
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Finally able to see PARASITE in Cincinnati. Firstly, the cinematography is perfect. It's a beautifully done movie. The twists come and they are largely unexpected. I had a great time at the theater yesterday. This year is shaping up to be a pretty solid one as far as movies go, and I expect to see this get a Best Picture nom. 8.5/10

Hah, you totally called it!
Old 02-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #7116
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Saw the Oscar nominated Animated Shorts and Live Action Shorts yesterday.

Live Action -

A Sister (8/10) - Incredibly tense story about a 911 call where the caller has to be secretive about why they are calling. Perfect idea for a short film as there's no need to continue beyond the ending.

The Neighbor's Window (7/10) - A married couple with kids begins to get jealous of the active love and social life of their new neighbors. It's a good comedic/dramatic story about the struggles of marriage and stopping to appreciate what you have.

Brotherhood (7/10) - A muslim father's son comes home after fighting with ISIS, bringing a child bride with him. Very interesting clash of cultures ensues.

Saria (6/10) - A very sad story of the tragic lives of orphans in Guatemala. Based on a true story. The story behind this is amazing, but it ends very abruptly and really needs to be a longer film.

Nefta Football Club (6/10) - Funny story of kids who love to play soccer and the odd discovery they make on the Tunisian border. I really like the last shot and it is pretty funny, but it's the least memorable of this group.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #7117
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The animated shorts

Hair Love (9/10) - An African-American girl struggles with styling her hair, but is determined to get it right by watching videos. It's a funny and moving story and is almost certainly going to be the winner.

Dcera (4/10) - Offputting animation style that makes it difficult to follow. This seems like an interesting and emotional story, but is just too offbeat to work.

Sister (7/10) - A narrator talks about his childhood and growing up with a sister. Poignant story and an interesting stop motion animation style, but needed more time to make the emotional impact stronger.

Memorable (7/10) - A poignant film about dementia and how it effects an older married couple. Uses a series of vignettes to help understand how dementia can effect someone.

Kitbull (8/10) - A simple, but incredibly moving story about the friendship between a stray cat and abused pitbull. I have to admit I cried at this one.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #7118
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Kitbull (8/10) - A simple, but incredibly moving story about the friendship between a stray cat and abused pitbull. I have to admit I cried at this one.

That one was touching. Saw it on Disney+.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:21 PM   #7119
Edward64
Head Coach

The Farewell - 8/10

Prime had it for .99 and watched it tonight. Somewhat somber but still fun move. Enjoyed learning something new about medical ethics (won't spoil it for you, googled it and sure enough, the film portrayal was accurate).

There were a couple scenes that showed the differences between how Chinese vs American Chinese think.

If you have time, I would recommend watching it just to learn a little more about a different culture.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #7120
bob
College Starter

I thought Jo Jo Rabbit was one of the best movies I've watched in a long time.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #7121
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Knives Out - 7.5/10

I'm not a huge fan of murder mysteries, but, this one wasn't too shabby at all. Pretty good cast and though the story was nothing new, I did like how they went about telling it. It has a bit of Clue feeling to it in my opinion but that isn't a bad thing.

Loved the cinematography, the locations (mostly the house) and just the overall look of the movie. If you love murder mysteries, I could see this being a 9/10 or even a 10/10 movie to you.

Agree with everything here. Personally I'd put in the 9/10 range but I'm a fan of these types of films.

A modern version of Clue is probably the best way to describe it. Well cast, well written and just a fun movie.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #7122
revrew
Team Chaplain

Just Mercy - 7/10

I'd like to give it a higher score, but I could never quite escape the reality that this was a "message" film, preaching at audiences with a clear agenda and just a bit too much trope.

That said, the acting was exemplary. Michael B. Jordan was fantastic. Jamie Foxx was solid. The supporting cast, even small characters (at least all the black ones) were outstanding. And the story was moving. I did, ultimately care about the characters and the story, which makes this much, much better than the typical "message" movie.

And to its credit, the moviemakers made it more about the story of an innocent man condemned to die than about purely abolishing the death penalty (which the source material is ALL about).

My wife LOVED this movie. It was touching, moving. I think I shed a tear. If it backed off the message just a tad, or stayed away from some of the stereotypical methods of depicting it, I would have given this a solid 8. The fact I only knocked it one point is actually a compliment for how well it was made.

I think I'm just a bit jaded having seen so many films that want to preach about institutional racism in Mississippi or (in this case) Alabama, that I had a hard time getting past it. The racist good ol' boy sheriff who's in cahoots with the white supremacist judge, the rednecks patrolling around intimidating people in a beat-up pickup, the community behind their trimmed hedges turning a blind eye, the one white lawyer and the one white prison guard who have a crisis of conscience ... it was just a bit too stereotypical for me.

Still, it's a good movie. Very moving. And it does shed a light on its subject matter. Still worth a 7/10.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #7123
RainMaker
General Manager

Dark Waters - 8/10

If you watch this, check out the Netflix documentary The Devil We Know. Story about Teflon and how the chemical destroyed a community. A little slow at points but I'm a sucker for a lawyer fighting the system movie.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-02-2020 at 02:59 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #7124
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I thought Jo Jo Rabbit was one of the best movies I've watched in a long time.

Likewise. Also felt that Parasite was vastly overrated.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #7125
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jo Jo Rabbit was pretty incredible. Really hard to believe it didn't win Best Picture. Parasite must have been impressive. It's on my list to see.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #7126
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Rain Man - 9/10
Gigi - 7/10

My wife and I have been on a "Best Picture" kick lately and have been selecting random historical Best Picture Oscar winners to watch. Last week it was Rain Man, which I hadn't seen in decades, and this week it was Gigi, which I had never seen, period.

Rain Man is phenomenal; I loved it when I was younger, and loved it again now. Both Cruise and Hoffman put on phenomenal performances, and the movie doesn't hurt too much through the changing of social norms since the 80's. Spoiler warning in case you somehow still haven't seen it, but I think my favorite part about the movie is its unapologetic not happy ending. Cruise loses literally everything to take this trek with his brother, and in the end even loses the custody battle over him. There's no shoe-horning in of a happy ending, even in the case of Cruise's wiped-out business. It just seems to make the film so much more poignant.

Gigi, by contrast, is definitely interesting to watch through the lens of today's social norms. The 1958 winner is a musical about love and introducing a young girl to society at large in turn-of-the-century (1900) Paris; what is jarring is that "introducing a young girl to society" in that time was literally training her to become the mistress of someone rich and famous in order to secure wealth and societal position. There is a scene in the movie where one of these mistresses consumes poison in a specific dosage so as not to be lethal so she can be seen to have "committed suicide" due to the scandal of one of these affairs ending. The gentleman in question is heartily congratulated on getting his "first suicide." It's...uncomfortable, at best, despite the wink wink attitude about the "suicide;" I honestly wonder what my reaction to the movie would have been had I watched it even 10 years ago.

Putting aside the social issues and trying to admire this as a film in its time, Maurice Chevalier steals the show as Honoré Lachaille, the narrator and uncle of the male lead. The humor is timely and enjoyable, the musical numbers are good, and the pacing of the movie is great...until the end. While the movie takes a fair bit of time to develop each character, especially lead Louis Jordan's Gaston character, and does a great job illustrating him grappling with viewing the young Gigi as a growing woman, as opposed to the kid-sister-like relationship he's always seen it as...unfortunately, once the relationship between them actually starts, everything seems much more rushed. We only get a few brief - though well-acted - scenes to identify Gigi's hesitance and Gaston's eventual disgust at Gigi being treated like a courtesan (she literally is one) before he abruptly proposes marriage the night of their first evening out as a couple. Despite the rushed ending, the comedic timing, solid acting, good musical numbers, and some pretty spectacular cinematography make this a very good movie.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #7127
Suicane75
Coordinator

Dear lord. I really didn't need to write 15 paragraph reviews on some of those movies. I'd like to apologize.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #7128
revrew
Team Chaplain

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 4/10

Didn't see this when it came out, and on the recommendation of a usually trustworthy reviewer, decided to check it out. Now I wonder what he was smoking when he wrote the review.

On the positive side, the King Arthur character (played by Charlie Hunnam) was likeable, even fun at times. The couple of moments of quick banter that interwove different characters making the same speech (think Ant Man) were very entertaining. Jude Law, when he wasn't just mailing in a cliche performance (which was most of the time), showed some acting chops. The music was innovative, even if it didn't always work. Some of the "cool" fight elements were actually cool. Excalibur rocks.

On the negative side: A lot of senseless fighting. Way too much of the story and character development were sacrificed to get to more fighting. The big, climactic fight at the end was punctuated with a climactic speech ... that made no real sense and diminished the main character. The cool special effects that probably played well on the big screen just seemed cartoonish on the small screen.

The hero deserved a better villain, the actors deserved a better story, and this film doesn't deserve more than a mediocre score.

Last edited by revrew : 03-30-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #7129
Edward64
Head Coach

1917 - 7/10

Solid & entertaining movie. Several great scenes.

Will say that a SEAL team with modern day weapons & unlimited ammo would have cleared those trenches and city blocks pretty easily. The tactics portrayed were pretty primitive (no surprise).

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-30-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #7130
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
1917 - 7/10

Solid & entertaining movie. Several great scenes.

Will say that a SEAL team with modern day weapons & unlimited ammo would have cleared those trenches and city blocks pretty easily. The tactics portrayed were pretty primitive (no surprise).

Will also say that a professional nhl team would have made those kids teams in Mighty Ducks look pretty pedestrian. Would have made quick work of the Hawks!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #7131
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - 4/10

Didn't see this when it came out, and on the recommendation of a usually trustworthy reviewer, decided to check it out. Now I wonder what he was smoking when he wrote the review.

On the positive side, the King Arthur character (played by Charlie Hunnam) was likeable, even fun at times. The couple of moments of quick banter that interwove different characters making the same speech (think Ant Man) were very entertaining. Jude Law, when he wasn't just mailing in a cliche performance (which was most of the time), showed some acting chops. The music was innovative, even if it didn't always work. Some of the "cool" fight elements were actually cool. Excalibur rocks.

On the negative side: A lot of senseless fighting. Way too much of the story and character development were sacrificed to get to more fighting. The big, climactic fight at the end was punctuated with a climactic speech ... that made no real sense and diminished the main character. The cool special effects that probably played well on the big screen just seemed cartoonish on the small screen.

The hero deserved a better villain, the actors deserved a better story, and this film doesn't deserve more than a mediocre score.

I watched this not long after it hit DVD and it sticks out as one of the worst films I've seen over the past few years. It was painful to sit through.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #7132
tarcone
Coordinator

Sands of Iwo Jima-- 7/10

Good movie. Entertaining. Good back stories. War scenes were as good as I hoped though.

I did like the real footage they included though.

And classic John Wayne.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #7133
tarcone
Coordinator

Badland-- 8/10

If you are a fan of westerns, this one is for you. All the great stuff is there. Well written, well acted, with the exception of the 2 guys running the main characters bounty hunting. They were kind of stiff. This one is a great watch.

Blood Father--8/10

Action story starring Mel Gibson and Selena Gomez. A fun story with some good action. Shoot outs, motorcycle chases. Crazy characters. Just a fun movie. Well worth the time.

Both are on netflix

Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #7134
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Blood Father--8/10

Action story starring Mel Gibson and Selena Gomez. A fun story with some good action. Shoot outs, motorcycle chases. Crazy characters. Just a fun movie. Well worth the time.

Saw it this past weekend and it was surprisingly entertaining. I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan (anymore) but I think his acting was pretty good.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #7135
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Will also say that a professional nhl team would have made those kids teams in Mighty Ducks look pretty pedestrian. Would have made quick work of the Hawks!

Old 03-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #7136
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Becket. 8/10
I have a tendency to try to watch as many Oscar best picture nominees that I can. This is on tubi right now. And I enjoyed the heck out of it. Peter O'Toole is great as Henry II. Richard Burton isn't bad either as Thomas a Becket.
A good biopic.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:43 AM   #7137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

I guess I grew up? It was barely watchable. Felt like a 4/10
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:44 AM   #7138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Good Boys
Probably give it a 7.5/10. It’s basically a tween Superbad ripoff but it’s still funny to very funny in a lot of parts. Kid actors were all great.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #7139
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Good Boys
Probably give it a 7.5/10. It’s basically a tween Superbad ripoff but it’s still funny to very funny in a lot of parts. Kid actors were all great.

I'd forgotten about this one! I remember seeing the trailers last year and thinking it looked awesome. Going to have to make a point to watch it soon. Thanks!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:08 AM   #7140
BYU 14
Coordinator

Bloodshot: 6/10

Typical Vin Diesel fare, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Has some good action scenes, injects some humor here and there and keeps you engaged. A good movie when you just want to enjoy a decent story without having to think too much. Nothing groundbreaking or daring, though it did remind me what a cool Talking Heads song 'Psycho Killer' is.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #7141
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
Becket. 8/10
I have a tendency to try to watch as many Oscar best picture nominees that I can. This is on tubi right now. And I enjoyed the heck out of it. Peter O'Toole is great as Henry II. Richard Burton isn't bad either as Thomas a Becket.
A good biopic.

Saw this classic oldy when I was in my 20s, and I was really surprised at how engaging and entertaining it was. Haven't seen it in a long time (we gettin' old, y'all), but I still remember it with enthusiasm.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #7142
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Court Jester - 8/10

Speaking of oldies, watched this one again last night with my kiddos (including my 21-year-old son, for whom it is his favorite film). My 7-year-old was rolling on the floor he was laughing so hard.

Now, it's an old-school musical comedy, so it's cheesy as all heck, and the "special effects" are laughable all by themselves, they're so bad. But for those who know and appreciate Danny Kaye, this may be his most complete performance. He has at his disposal his wide-grinned, goofball humor and his quick-tongued rapid-fire lyrics that made him famous, but also his soulful beautiful voice on the ballads and a suave, swashbuckling, leading man persona that he developed later. This was not the best script he had to work with ("Walter Mitty" might qualify there), nor his best film ("White Christmas" - duh), but it may be his best performance.

Plus, it's hilarious. From the opening credits to the epic sword fight at the end, it's Danny Kaye at his best. Only reason I give it a 8 instead of a higher score is that it is very, very aged. Don't make this an introductory foray into old movies - way too cornball for that.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #7143
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Saw this classic oldy when I was in my 20s, and I was really surprised at how engaging and entertaining it was. Haven't seen it in a long time (we gettin' old, y'all), but I still remember it with enthusiasm.

If it weren't for Peter Sellers in Strangelove, I'd have given O'Toole a best actor oscar in my own private world.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #7144
AlexB
Pro Starter

Joker (I know, late to the party) - 9.5/10

Absolutely brilliant, Joaquim Phoenix was amazing, cinematography was beautiful, the score was perfect. The only reason it’s not a 10 is that I’m not sure I actually enjoyed it.

Also possibly not the best choice in lockdown while living alone!

Last edited by AlexB : 04-01-2020 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Edit: lockdown, not isolation
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #7145
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Also possibly not the best choice in lockdown while living alone!

Good to know, as I have it sitting on my hard drive.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #7146
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'd forgotten about this one! I remember seeing the trailers last year and thinking it looked awesome. Going to have to make a point to watch it soon. Thanks!

Goes without saying but not family friendly.

Anyone seen Booksmart?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:58 AM   #7147
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Absolutely brilliant, Joaquim Phoenix was amazing, cinematography was beautiful, the score was perfect. The only reason it’s not a 10 is that I’m not sure I actually enjoyed it.

Basically how I felt too, except I think I enjoy it even less in hindsight!
Old 04-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #7148
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
The Court Jester - 8/10

Speaking of oldies, watched this one again last night with my kiddos (including my 21-year-old son, for whom it is his favorite film). My 7-year-old was rolling on the floor he was laughing so hard.

Now, it's an old-school musical comedy, so it's cheesy as all heck, and the "special effects" are laughable all by themselves, they're so bad. But for those who know and appreciate Danny Kaye, this may be his most complete performance. He has at his disposal his wide-grinned, goofball humor and his quick-tongued rapid-fire lyrics that made him famous, but also his soulful beautiful voice on the ballads and a suave, swashbuckling, leading man persona that he developed later. This was not the best script he had to work with ("Walter Mitty" might qualify there), nor his best film ("White Christmas" - duh), but it may be his best performance.

Plus, it's hilarious. From the opening credits to the epic sword fight at the end, it's Danny Kaye at his best. Only reason I give it a 8 instead of a higher score is that it is very, very aged. Don't make this an introductory foray into old movies - way too cornball for that.

I was probably the same age as your 7-year-old when I saw this movie. But I still remember all about the pellet with the poison being in the vessel with the pestle. The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true! I'm not sure where the chalice from the palace fits into everything. Maybe that is the one that broke.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #7149
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
I was probably the same age as your 7-year-old when I saw this movie. But I still remember all about the pellet with the poison being in the vessel with the pestle. The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true! I'm not sure where the chalice from the palace fits into everything. Maybe that is the one that broke.

Yes, the chalice from the palace broke and was replaced by the flagon with the dragon.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #7150
revrew
Team Chaplain

The Saint - 3/10

Amazon Prime + COVID19 brings back a 1997 action flick that really, really doesn't age well.

It was a cool idea, especially in the '90s, with all kinds of potential for a cool payoff at the end (a "saint" needing to perform 3 miracles), but stars Val Kilmer and Elisabeth Shue not only can't carry the weight of this clunky, poorly scripted loser, but their onscreen "chemistry" as love interests is nothing short of painful to watch. It gets the point of the viewer saying aloud, "No! Don't kiss again! Aw, gross."

I could see this movie being made well today, but in 1997, Hollywood wasn't ready to make "The Saint" story into a film. And too many elements have been adapted into other films like "Jason Bourne" or "Catch Me If You Can" that the whole thing feels like a bad knock off of other, better made movies.