Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sciatica?

Anybody had it?

I've had some pain in my left leg, running through my hamstring and down the outside of my gastroc muscle for awhile. It kind of feels like I continually need to stretch my leg, which I've been trying to do. This weekend, I started having a little numbness in my toes (after a workout, gone now), which is when I started worrying/googling (which is how I came to sciatica). My left leg has almost given out on me a couple of times sort of spontaneously, though that's just as easy to blame on the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so I haven't given that much thought.

Google says that it should resolve on its own, especially aided by stretching. Anybody with any particular stretches to do? Is there any point at which I should see a doctor (I really don't want to)? What kind of doctor would I go to, my normal orthopod?

My left leg is kind of important to me; with my right ankle fused/achy and my right hip sore, I end up strongly favoring my left leg (as evidenced by my shoes). Anybody?

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most good PCP's can diagnose sciatica. In a hypothetical situation, I would say that one should go to their doctor if they have any bowel or bladder problems associated with the sciatica, if they have the numbness again, if the pain becomes intense, or if there is muscle weakness associated with the sensation of tightness. Good luck, tk!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Had sciatic issues but they have been related to disc problems. When I was younger I had sciatica and it was quite annoying but did eventually go away. Good luck tk, I hope it runs its course quickly.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Kevin
High School JV

Chiropractor for sure!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Most good PCP's can diagnose sciatica.

But EF, you forget, my orthopods ARE my PCP's.

Thanks for the advice, all. I think I'll continue stretching as much as I can, and if I get more numbness or weakness, I'll try to find a PCP.

/tk
Old 03-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

Terp,

I had it and what helped it alot for me was :
1-stretching everyday (twice)
2-Do this stretch and it will help-Stretch #2: Cross one leg behind the other while standing and reach down to touch your toes/floor. So all it is is touching the toes but one leg is behind and crossed behind the other see this picture #2:http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099
3-Also for me at least I would take Ibuprofen if it was too painful.
4-Weight loss is often a partial cause of it (basically) so if you are alittle over weight dropping a few pounds helps. I myself recently lost 30 pounds by increasing my exercise routine and my sciatica is gone.
5-Another great idea is to build up your 'core" by doing abs work like crunches and bridges for your back and abs.
6-Chiropractors are not the magical bullet for back problems. I went to both a Chiropractor and also a Acupuncturist and neither helped much. That being said it never hurts to go to a Chiropractor for aalignment but I would not expect them to be able to help this necessarily. If you do go see one I would ask your primary care doctor to recommended reputable one.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-23-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Autumn
Head Coach

I had problems with it when I was younger. I found that exercises to strengthen my core muscles helped a lot, both back and ab stuff. That made it go away eventually.

I can't tell if what you're describing sounds like what I had. Mine was more of a shooting pain than a tingling or numbness.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hmm guess the update to this goes here. Looks like my sciatica was induced by a "fairly substantial" herniated disc. After 6 weeks of progressively more pain (over which time I tried PT which made it worse and found that anti-inflammatory medicine didn't help enough), I got an MRI this past Monday and followed up with the doc today. He recommended surgery or nerve block.

I opted for nerve block (looks like this is what will be done), hopefully that'll take care of me, otherwise I'll consider surgery.

Bleh.

/tk
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Hmm guess the update to this goes here. Looks like my sciatica was induced by a "fairly substantial" herniated disc. After 6 weeks of progressively more pain (over which time I tried PT which made it worse and found that anti-inflammatory medicine didn't help enough), I got an MRI this past Monday and followed up with the doc today. He recommended surgery or nerve block.

I opted for nerve block (looks like this is what will be done), hopefully that'll take care of me, otherwise I'll consider surgery.

Bleh.

/tk

tk,

I had a slipped disc with sciatic pain and two epidurals later I was much better. One thing I noticed that was making mine worse was when I used the elliptical. Something about the elliptical's un-natural motion caused my sciatic to flare up. It wasn't an incredible pain like it was before the epidurals, but it was definitely uncomfortable. Eliminating the elliptical from my workout really helped. I'd also suggest getting a nice ice pack for your lower back whenever it flares up.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
tk,

I had a slipped disc with sciatic pain and two epidurals later I was much better. One thing I noticed that was making mine worse was when I used the elliptical. Something about the elliptical's un-natural motion caused my sciatic to flare up. It wasn't an incredible pain like it was before the epidurals, but it was definitely uncomfortable. Eliminating the elliptical from my workout really helped. I'd also suggest getting a nice ice pack for your lower back whenever it flares up.

I'll have to keep that in mind, though if I were to remove the elliptical trainer, I'd be pretty hard pressed to find something I can work into my routine. But right now I'm nowhere near going back to the gym, right now I'd be thrilled to stand for a minute without pain or be able to sleep without hurting.

Ice has so far not helped. Nor, unfortunately, has heat.

/tk