Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Newest powerball winner close to home.......

28 year old from Marshall, MO wins $258M. Yes, it's a farming town. Yes, he's missing teeth. But it's great to see someone get the money who really needs it. Hopefully he heads directly to an accountant.

My father actually grew up on a farm just outside of the Marshall city limits. We have some family/friends that still live there. I'm sure the town folk are pretty excited about the whole deal.

For Powerball winner, life goes from not quite rags to definite riches - KansasCity.com

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
28 year old from Marshall, MO wins $258M. Yes, it's a farming town. Yes, he's missing teeth. But it's great to see someone get the money who really needs it. Hopefully he heads directly to an accountant.

My father actually grew up on a farm just outside of the Marshall city limits. We have some family/friends that still live there. I'm sure the town folk are pretty excited about the whole deal.

For Powerball winner, life goes from not quite rags to definite riches - KansasCity.com

It's awesome to see a younger winner take it...I hope he is smart with it and does well for the rest of his life for him and his kids sake...
Old 04-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
It's awesome to see a younger winner take it...I hope he is smart with it and does well for the rest of his life for him and his kids sake...

Said he had no clue what he was going to do with the money, but wanted to take his kids to Disney and let them do things he wasn't able to do when he was younger. I'm hopeful that since his first thought was what he could do for his kids, he's probably a guy who's relatively grounded.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Said he had no clue what he was going to do with the money, but wanted to take his kids to Disney and let them do things he wasn't able to do when he was younger. I'm hopeful that since his first thought was what he could do for his kids, he's probably a guy who's relatively grounded.

The one thing that concerned me was the immediate arrival to the PB office...Usually it's one or two full days after because he is getting his ducks in a row with an account/lawyer/financial planner.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
The one thing that concerned me was the immediate arrival to the PB office...Usually it's one or two full days after because he is getting his ducks in a row with an account/lawyer/financial planner.

It's a good point.

Situations like this where you have someone who only has a HS education are a good reason IMO for him to take the full amount rather than a lump sum. Even if he's irresponsible with it, he's still going to have a $10M check coming every year for the next 25 years. Yes, he may not be able to optimize the money from an investment perspective like some of us could, but I think it gives him the best chance to not overspend and allow him to make a couple of mistakes along the way without blowing it all.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-23-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I wish it was me.