Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #851
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
WTF why the hell did Carolina draft Pike today? gawd.

It's a 6th round pick. They likely are looking at him panning out to be the back up. He has to adjust to the NFL game unlike Clausen so I wouldn't expect much out of him for some time anyway.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #852
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV Signings
OLB Jason Beauchamp - New Orleans Saints
WR Ryan Wolfe - Atlanta Falcons

Hope these guys stick.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #853
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It's a 6th round pick. They likely are looking at him panning out to be the back up. He has to adjust to the NFL game unlike Clausen so I wouldn't expect much out of him for some time anyway.

But are they really planning to carry 2 rookie QB's? Or have 4 on the roster otherwise?

I mean, Claussen + Moore + McCown would be the obvious three to keep with Hunter Cantwell as the odd man out. Then you've got presumably converted Armanti Edwards for wildcat stuff and as an emergency QB. I'm just not seeing how Pike fits into that unless they're actually going to keep 2 rookies out of the usual 3 QB's.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #854
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But are they really planning to carry 2 rookie QB's? Or have 4 on the roster otherwise?

I mean, Claussen + Moore + McCown would be the obvious three to keep with Hunter Cantwell as the odd man out. Then you've got presumably converted Armanti Edwards for wildcat stuff and as an emergency QB. I'm just not seeing how Pike fits into that unless they're actually going to keep 2 rookies out of the usual 3 QB's.

McCown is a UFA, so he can be let go. They got him for a 7th round pick as well so it's not like they have a high investment in him.

Last edited by Matthean : 04-25-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #855
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The hope has to be Clausen emerges and starts, Moore is a back-up and Pike is groomed as a 3rd stringer.

But after the money they just paid Moore, the moves seem to lack direction
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #856
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And I'm not saying I agree with the Pike pick. I'm just trying to reason it from their end.

Interesting stat about the Campbell trade. Campbell had the lowest pct. of passes 15+ yards. The two highest? Russell and Gradkowski.

Jason Campbell by the numbers - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN
Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #857
Danny
Head Coach

Not really surprising considering Campbell was in a Zorn west coast offense and the Raiders being a vertical passing team. Plus Russell can't hit those short passes to save his life.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #858
rowech
Pro Starter

The Pike pick seems silly but I'm not so sure it just isn't to motivate Claussen. Without Pike, Claussen knows the job his is to take. Now they have another young QB to constantly be pushing him. Already Claussen is probably thinking, why did they draft another QB? I'll show them.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #859
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's likely that Pike goes on to have a 10-12 year NFL career, and that Claussen becomes a member of the US house.

Or something like that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #860
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The Bucs picked up Jevan Snead as a UDFA...
Old 04-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #861
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The Bucs picked up Jevan Snead as a UDFA...

Speaking of people who got some bad advice.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #862
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

according to the internetz the reason the bills didn't chase a qb is because they're in love with locker.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #863
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
according to the internetz the reason the bills didn't chase a qb is because they're in love with locker.

I think Locker will be better than any of the QB's that came out this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #864
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

It'd be funny if they missed out on him after all that.

They'd be Hurt by Locker.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #865
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It'd be funny if they missed out on him after all that.

They'd be Hurt by Locker.

+1. Mallet will be around as well so they still have a decent chance of getting a top notch guy. I still don't get waiting for a guy that you only have a chance of getting. Mind you, they have a good chance as it stands now.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #866
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Just the thought of Locker going to Buffalo makes my stomach turn. Here's to a 2 win season for the Hawks.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #867
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Anything is possible for the Packers now that they signed Rick Zombo to a FA deal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #868
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somehow Bay-Bay found his way *| ajc.com

Awful rough upbringing but you'll notice the absence of any sign of using that an excuse to fail. Here's hoping he has a big year for the Broncos.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #869
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Very one dimensional player, so unless you plan on having him get some carries he would take up a roster spot without providing anything.

So Blount originally agreed to terms with the 49ers and then "changed " his mind and signed with the Titans. The Titans now have Chirs Johnson, Javon Ringer, Blount and Stafon Johnson
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #870
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I think Locker will be better than any of the QB's that came out this year.

I think there are at least 3 QB's better than anyone who came out this year. That's another reason why I think taking Bradford over Suh will end up being viewed a disaster. They take Suh, they end up picking in the top 5-10 and getting any of Locker, Luck or Mallet with Feely at the helm.

McShay's mock has the Rams taking a DT with the #2 overall pick- because they still need a DT. By taking Bradford, they end up with a DT who is not as good as Suh, and a QB who is not as good as Locker, Luck or Mallet.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #871
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So Blount originally agreed to terms with the 49ers and then "changed " his mind and signed with the Titans. The Titans now have Chirs Johnson, Javon Ringer, Blount and Stafon Johnson

Lions fans are going crazy because the Lions didn't draft Blount. Schwartz and company coached this guy at the Senior Bowl. They had a real good look at him and I am sure if they thought he'd help the team they would have drafted him.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #872
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Lions fans are going crazy because the Lions didn't draft Blount. Schwartz and company coached this guy at the Senior Bowl. They had a real good look at him and I am sure if they thought he'd help the team they would have drafted him.

Lions fans have that Matt Millen "big name" mindset. We did that whole thing before and it doesn't work.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #873
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Lions fans have that Matt Millen "big name" mindset. We did that whole thing before and it doesn't work.

Thats not just lions fans- hell even the Saints message board has a million threads of- let's get Haynesworth, John Henderson, Marc Bulger, Justin Fargas and any other big name there is. I tried to talk sense in them- about us winning a superbowl and our talent evaluates / coaches doing a pretty good job...and sometimes a young role player with a good attitude is better than an over-paid over-hyped head case.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #874
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Our new approach appears to be the "Hey! He's a white wide receiver with dreadlocks, you'll love 'im!" I guess it's worth a shot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #875
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Thats not just lions fans- hell even the Saints message board has a million threads of- let's get Haynesworth, John Henderson, Marc Bulger, Justin Fargas and any other big name there is. I tried to talk sense in them- about us winning a superbowl and our talent evaluates / coaches doing a pretty good job...and sometimes a young role player with a good attitude is better than an over-paid over-hyped head case.

Valid, I guess it just seems worse because I read draft stuff on Lions forums over and over again about how they need to take big name player x, like Taylor Mays this year, in the 2nd round when we were doing that with the Lions. We took every "hot" name you could imagine under Millen and it never panned out and these people who were so against those drafts want the same thing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #876
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Valid, I guess it just seems worse because I read draft stuff on Lions forums over and over again about how they need to take big name player x, like Taylor Mays this year, in the 2nd round when we were doing that with the Lions. We took every "hot" name you could imagine under Millen and it never panned out and these people who were so against those drafts want the same thing.

Well, to be fair, even when the Lions didn't draft a "hot" name under Millen, it didn't pan out. For example: John Taylor, Andre Goodman, Atose Pinner, Keith Smith, Brian Calhoun, Stanely Wilson, Alama-Francis, Jordan Dizon, Gerald Alexander, etc.