Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who was the bigger bust?
Ryan Leaf 73 67.59%
JaMarcus Russell 35 32.41%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What dubb said.

Who would want to have to play him? He's not a worker type, so do you even want him as your #3 developmental QB? Russell will get people fired if he has to play.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Might be better for him to play a year in that alternate league to show he can actually play (assuming any of those teams would want him), maybe latch on as a 3rd stringer/developmental guy toward the end of this year? Who knows.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Chargers traded up to get Leaf-

Gave up what turned out to be the #8 selection(David Boston) in the next draft to Arizona. The Chargers had the #3 pick.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #54
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Todd Marinovich Bio - Drug Problems of QB Todd Marinovich - Esquire

Here's a recent story about him in Esquire. He was picked 1st overall, but drug problems were the culprit in his life.

I had previously read that article and recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Russell is in David Carr land if the Raiders release him. Nobody is going to give him a starting job. Best he can hope for is a backup position in a good situation, actually work hard and develop his skills and hope a starting job opens up a couple of years down the road. I think he's done, but it's not over quite yet.

Carr > Russell, in my opinion. Carr was probably never going to be a great QB, but given the amount he got sacked in Houston, he didn't do all that badly.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #55
cougarfreak
College Starter

I chose Leaf, I thought he'd be good. People who thought Russell was going to be any good were nuts.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #56
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, Todd Marinovich was also a pretty big bust, though did he get picked #1?

Yeah, as the #24 pick he really isn't in the conversation.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #57
RainMaker
General Manager

I would say Leaf because he was put on the same level as Manning. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a QB who is as bad as Jamarcus. I remember watching some Raider games last year and being in shock at how bad he was. Leaf was bad, but he got to a point where you weren't laughing at every other pass he threw. But I don't know if I can objectively give an answer.

I think being a fan for this long we get immune to first round busts. It's just so common, especially at QB that it's not a shock. If Sam Bradford flames out in the NFL, will anyone really be shocked? I guess I just figure that half the top picked QBs will bomb out in the NFL so I don't have high expectations. It feels much more like rolling some dice these days.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #58
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I heard Russell is up over 300 pounds, I think he could make for a decent Defensive End, or Tight End.

or Tackling dummy, oh wait anytime he lined up last season thats what he already was.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 04-28-2010 at 06:46 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #59
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I would say Leaf because he was put on the same level as Manning. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a QB who is as bad as Jamarcus. I remember watching some Raider games last year and being in shock at how bad he was. Leaf was bad, but he got to a point where you weren't laughing at every other pass he threw. But I don't know if I can objectively give an answer.

yeah, that's the thing. i was in sd during the leaf era and every pre-season it was 'he's figured it out'

he would light up pre-season games and show glimmers during the early season but one bad game and it was downward spiralsville.

even towards the end he wasn't hopeless everyone was just exacerbated with the whole affair.

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 04-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #60
Atocep
Coordinator

I think people are already forgetting how much hype Russell had coming out of LSU. Most people had him going 1st overall so it wasn't like the Raiders were the only people high on him. Calvin Johnson was seen as an equal or maybe slightly better talent overall, but no one else was in the discussion for going #1 overall. Kiper was actually comparing him Elway and actually stated he'd be a top 5 QB within 3 years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #61
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

russell was said to have had the best pro day anyone has ever scene. ever.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #62
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think people are already forgetting how much hype Russell had coming out of LSU. Most people had him going 1st overall so it wasn't like the Raiders were the only people high on him. Calvin Johnson was seen as an equal or maybe slightly better talent overall, but no one else was in the discussion for going #1 overall. Kiper was actually comparing him Elway and actually stated he'd be a top 5 QB within 3 years.

Yes, Russell sucks obviously, he definitely was touted by many.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #63
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I picked Leaf, only because he was pretty much universally annoited as a legend in the making and there were plenty of concerns about Russell, which the Raiders chose to ignore anyway.

Albionmoonlight makes a great point with the Kolb / Manning comparison as well.....

+1
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #64
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

over/under on the first "russell is broke" story? 2015?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #66
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
over/under on the first "russell is broke" story? 2015?

Or the "Russell battles Todd McCullough for 400lbs+ pinball wizard trophy" story.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #67
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think being a fan for this long we get immune to first round busts. It's just so common, especially at QB that it's not a shock. If Sam Bradford flames out in the NFL, will anyone really be shocked? I guess I just figure that half the top picked QBs will bomb out in the NFL so I don't have high expectations. It feels much more like rolling some dice these days.

Aye, that's exactly right. I'd much rather my team take a QB in the 2nd round. Less pressure to succeed straight away, and gives the team anoter season or two to make sure their is some semibalance of an O-Line to protect him.

The failure of the high-1st round QBs pretty much comes down to expectations and being put in horrible situations IMO. Put a lot of these guys in the 2nd round and I bet their careers turn out very differently.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Russell's 2nd season alone makes him better than Leaf.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Aye, that's exactly right. I'd much rather my team take a QB in the 2nd round. Less pressure to succeed straight away, and gives the team anoter season or two to make sure their is some semibalance of an O-Line to protect him.

The failure of the high-1st round QBs pretty much comes down to expectations and being put in horrible situations IMO. Put a lot of these guys in the 2nd round and I bet their careers turn out very differently.

QBs drafted in rounds 1 and 2 from 2000-2009:

Top 10
Matt Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Matt Ryan
Jamarcus Russell
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Alex Smith
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Mike Vick

1st Rounders Outside the Top 10
Josh Freeman
Joe Flacco
Brady Quinn
Jay Cutler
Aaron Rodgers
Jason Campbell
Ben Roethlisberger
JP Losman
Rex Grossman
Kyle Boller
Patrick Ramsey
Chad Pennington

Round 2
Pat White
Brian Brohm
Chad Henne
Kevin Kolb
John Beck
Drew Stanton
Kellen Clemens
Tavaris Jackson
Charlie Frye
Andrew Walter
Chris Simms
Drew Brees
Quincy Carter
Marques Tuiasosopo

Given the choice, I'd take my chances on a 1st round QB because drafting after the 1st round your chances of finding an elite or even serviceable QB go down drastically.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote