Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man claims he hasn't eaten or had anything to drink in 70 years

Probably a fraudster, but still, supposedly he's been monitored for 6 days so far without eating or drinking:

Man claims he ate, drank nothing for 70 years | News.com.au

Quote:
Man claims he ate, drank nothing for 70 years

SCIENTISTS are studying an 82-year-old man who claims he has not had any food or drink for 70 years. Prahlad Jani’s claims are being put to the test at a hospital in Ahmedabad, where he is being closely monitored and studied by India’s Defence Research Development Organisation, which believes he may have a quality which could help save lives, The Telegraph reports.
He has so far spent six days without food or water under the strict observation of doctors who say his body is yet to show any signs of hunger or dehydration.
Mr Jani is regarded as a "breatharian" who can live a "spiritual life-force" alone. He believes he is sustained by the "elixir" of a goddess.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The research organisation believes Mr Jani could hold the key to helping soldiers or disaster victims survive without food for longer periods in times of crisis.
"If his claims are verified, it will be a breakthrough in medical science," said Dr G Ilavazhagan, director of the Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences.
"We will be able to help save human lives during natural disasters, high altitude, sea journeys and other natural and human extremities. We can educate people about the survival techniques in adverse conditions with little food and water or nothing at all."
However, others have dismissed Mr Jani as a "village fraud".
Leading Australian nutritionist, Dr Joanna McMillan Price, said the study was a dangerous and pointless exercise.
"What’s the point? To show spiritual strength? You would struggle to go for more than a week without water and without food, your body starts to break down muscle, eventually attacking the heart muscles needed to provide energy to the brain until ultimately you have a heart attack and you die," she said.
Dr McMillan Price says Mr Jani's beliefs probably helped him overcome basic survival instincts but would not physically sustain him.
"Your spiritual beliefs can give mental strength but the idea that spirituality can replace food and water is ludicrous," she said.

"He would certainly be fighting strong physiological responses. Your body starts getting pretty strong hunger pangs after a few days because your brain is telling you that you need to eat or you’ll die."
Dr McMillan Price said she couldn't see Mr Jani lasting any more than a few extra days without water and she said his fasting gave the wrong message.
"The determination he’s showing is certainly a nice message but I really think it could be put to better use than to go without food and water," she said.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Even if this were true, I gotta say, he's missing out.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

/me buys cheese burger!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

Maybe he was just a supermodel in his late-teens/early 20s and never grew out of it.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Surprised he isn't labeled as a god by now. Hell, there is some fraud there that is treated as a god based on doing parlor magic tricks.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Surprised he isn't labeled as a god by now. Hell, there is some fraud there that is treated as a god based on doing parlor magic tricks.

Well, to be fair, there was a fraudster where you are who is treated like a god after coming up with a really, really bad sci-fi story not all that long ago.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Aha, you're that American tourist type. Gotcha.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Regardless he's gone 6 days without water with no ill effects at that age, I doubt he's the 'real deal' - but thats pretty impressive when you consider generally speaking 10 days is meant to be the survival limit without water and your faculties (both mental and physical) are meant to decay as the time without water extends.

How Long Can You Survive Without Water?

As such I'd expect its entirely possible he has a gene or similar which allows him to operate with less water intake than normal people .... so their studying him seems quite sensible.

(personally speaking I doubt I'd be able to last more than 48 hours before I started begging for a drink, I wake up dehydrated and needing a drink most mornings just from living under air-conditioning here )

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-29-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Well, to be fair, there was a fraudster where you are who is treated like a god after coming up with a really, really bad sci-fi story not all that long ago.

If you're thinking of 'Hubbard' - then the one thing I liked most about him is that he was very open about the fact he believed religion was 'where the money was' before set set one up ....

(still can't believe people 'joined up' after that, its a bit like a politician being quoted in his early days that he doesn't care about looking out for his constituents so long as he gets his back handers surely )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not impressed until he shows that he can survive a Krispy Kreme Double Down.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The research organisation believes Mr Jani could hold the key to helping soldiers or disaster victims survive without food for longer periods in times of crisis.

Admittedly the whole story seems a bit odd, but the part I placed in bold struck me as most outlandish. Nothing like a new angle for military superiority!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
whomario
Pro Starter

Well, another couple days and they can do an autopsy, maybe that´ll help narrow it down ...

Quote:

"We will be able to help save human lives during natural disasters, high altitude, sea journeys and other natural and human extremities. We can educate people about the survival techniques in adverse conditions with little food and water or nothing at all."

so, how´d that work ? Public service anouncements showing the old skinny dude and suddenly everyone is able to sustain without water for weeks ?
Cause somehow i don´t see portable gene-altering kits for sale anytime soon
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

It´s the 2nd time he´s being tested btw : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3236118.stm

BBC article from 2003 about the same dude.

strange hobby ...
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote